• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
besada said:
I'm sort of amazed that in the wake of a deregulation bail out we're not hearing more about McCain's role in the Keating 5 and the following Savings and Loan scandal. It's the same stupid policy decisions, over and over again with these guys.

A) Happened like EONS ago, McCain was involved but it wasn't nearly to the degree that the other Senators were.

B) The McCain campaign is expecting it and has an appropriate response, it becomes a non-starter issue and it might even play into their hand. You don't see the McCain camp "proper" go after a lot of the garbage Ayers or Rezko crap for the same reason-there's just nothing there.

besada said:
I'm sort of amazed that in the wake of a deregulation bail out we're not hearing more about McCain's role in the Keating 5 and the following Savings and Loan scandal. It's the same stupid policy decisions, over and over again with these guys.
All I can hope is that they are saving that ammo for closer to the election. Seriously . . . the fact that we are now having bank collapses and one of the guys running for office was in the pocket of previous crappy bankers is just too relevent not to use.

I'm sure the McCain folks are cooking up their rationalizations for that inevitable attack as well. I wonder what it will be? He's reformed since then? Dems were nailed in that too?

Fragamemnon said:
A) Happened like EONS ago, McCain was involved but it wasn't nearly to the degree that the other Senators were.

B) The McCain campaign is expecting it and has an appropriate response, it becomes a non-starter issue and it might even play into their hand. You don't see the McCain camp "proper" go after a lot of the garbage Ayers or Rezko crap for the same reason-there's just nothing there.
I think there's a pretty f'n big difference between Ayers/Rezko crap and the Keating Five

speculawyer said:
All I can hope is that they are saving that ammo for closer to the election. Seriously . . . the fact that we are now having bank collapses and one of the guys running for office was in the pocket of previous crappy bankers is just too relevent not to use.

I'm sure the McCain folks are cooking up their rationalizations for that inevitable attack as well. I wonder what it will be? He's reformed since then? Dems were nailed in that too?
"You want to talk about banking scandals? I was stuck in a Vietnamese bank vault for five years"

besada said:

I think Obama is saving that nugget in case McCain tries to inject Wright into the converstation again. He could use it to swing the discussion back on the terms of character AND issues instead of just character as the Wright attacks would bring.

The Dark One

Fragamemnon said:

Well . .. there are some more rationalizations for McCain on Keating 5.

The 'it happened Eons ago' may not play too well considering that was a lobbying scandal and McCain's CURRENT campaign team is basically constructed of lobbyists.

Barrett2

worldrunover said:
Hey guys are we still waiting for the October surprise tape of Michelle Obama saying Whitey!? I can't wait!

What context was that comment alleged to have occurred?

I assume that going into October we are going to see some very racist 527 action. Sad, but inevitable.

I hate McCain's spokesperson so much. Such a slimy, probably secretive pedophile, jackass:

McC%20spokesperson.png

mamacint said:
"You want to talk about banking scandals? I was stuck in a Vietnamese bank vault for five years"
:lol

How could I forget the POW defense? It is good for everything! It is more powerful than the Chewbacca defense.

besada

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

McCain personally went and argued with federal regulators to reduce regulation, on behalf of Keating. That he didn't get seriously dinged in the aftermath doesn't change that his policy decision was to decrease regulation on Savings and Loans, which ultimately led to their collapse and enormous bailout by taxpayers.

I'm not suggesting they dig into the contributions that led him to speak on Keating's behalf (although those are entirely factual), but rather point out that McCain has a long history of favoring exactly the sort of deregulation that's created this current issue.

AniHawk

lawblob said:
What context was that comment alleged to have occurred?

I assume that going into October we are going to see some very racist 527 action. Sad, but inevitable.

She most likely (in reference to Bush) says "Why'd he" over and over.

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
:lol

How could I forget the POW defense? It is good for everything! It is more powerful than the Chewbacca defense.
In his new ad, McCain says he's "taken on worse" than Wall Street, an obvious nod to POW.

Cooter said:
What can a president do to help an economy? Tax hikes certainly don't help. Tax cuts do to a degree. The president has more opportunity to hurt the economy than help it.

McCain will continue to keep taxes low and hope that the natural cycle will play itself out. Obama will add over 1 tillion in spending and hope government can pull us out of this ditch. Decide what you prefer and vote. That's my advice because Obama will be in Iraq for years to come just like McCain would be. It's basically a non issue now.

Oh STFU, will you? Do you like pulling shit out of your fucking ass? If anything, Bush's tax cuts have KILLED jobs. In 1993 when Clinton's "largest tax increase ever" passed, FIVE MILLION NEW JOBS WERE CREATED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. In 2001 when Bush's "largest tax cuts ever" passed, 1.7 MILLION JOBS WERE LOST IN IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS.

So please, the fearmongering that increasing taxes kills jobs is the biggest horseshit I've ever heard. Supply and demand effects the market when it comes to fixing prices on goods, jobs, etc.

Also, under the Clinton Administration, there was a 97% increase in revenue, compared to a little over 40% increase in revenue during the Reagan years. Raising taxes on the rich and the U.S. stopping the cost of $10 billion a month in Iraq will help fund Obama's social programs.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh STFU, will you? Do you like pulling shit out of your fucking ass? If anything, Bush's tax cuts have KILLED jobs. In 1993 when Clinton's "largest tax increase ever" passed, FIVE MILLION NEW JOBS WERE CREATED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. In 2001 when Bush's "largest tax cuts ever" passed, 1.7 MILLION JOBS WERE LOST IN IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS.

So please, the fearmongering that increasing taxes kills jobs is the biggest horseshit I've ever heard. Supply and demand effects the market when it comes to fixing prices on goods, jobs, etc.
This.

pages back now, but...

It's not people voting against their interests, it's how they are tricked into doing so and refute evidence of that fact.
The GOP will never overturn roe v wade, they get too much miliage from it.

Javaman

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Also, under the Clinton Administration, there was a 97% increase in revenue, compared to a little over 40% increase in revenue during the Reagan years. Raising taxes on the rich and the U.S. stopping the cost of $10 billion a month in Iraq will help fund Obama's social programs.

Let's not forget that the Dot com bubble and burst had a lot to do with both of those.

M3wThr33

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
In his new ad, McCain says he's "taken on worse" than Wall Street, an obvious nod to POW.
POW POW POW

Because getting your butt raped allows you to fix the economy.

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . I wonder how this is gonna play out. :lol

BTW, those images are not showing up for me on that site but they may be blocked where I am right now. Any other sites with this info?

Nothing too note worthy, just a personal picture or two and boring emails. None of the posted pictures are juicy.

pxleyes

Banned
Just got this email. Anyone have any details on the event?

Hey everybody,

As I'm sure you have heard, Senator Barack Obama will be visiting us here in Jacksonville on Saturday. We do not have a time or a location locked down yet, but I can tell you that we are expecting to have a massive rally. Therefore, we are in urgent need of volunteers to help us put this event together. We are currently looking for people that will be free Friday evening for volunteer training, and then all day Saturday.

If you are interested in being a part of this historic event, please email me with your name and phone number. We are trying to recruit 300 volunteers for the event by the end of today.

So again, I need your name and phone number (and the names and phone numbers of people you are bringing) so that I can keep track of how many volunteers we have and let you know the specifics of the event.

Let's turn Jacksonville blue!

With hope,

Danny Beaulieu
FL Campaign for Change

Fatalah

pxleyes said:

You've got yourself a special regional e-mail right there. Maybe log into your my-obama page?

I'm from NYC, so I get e-mailed about going to PA to help out.

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . I wonder how this is gonna play out. :lol

BTW, those images are not showing up for me on that site but they may be blocked where I am right now. Any other sites with this info?
There's really nothing damning in the images I saw. It seems whoever cracked the account made a mistake by letting others know the password, and not spending time archiving everything.

Tamanon

Banned
pxleyes said:

Only thing I can find is some event at the Morocco Shrine. Unless he's doing a townhall, that won't be it. I assume it'll be some rally at the Coliseum.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Revengeance said:
There's really nothing damning in the images I saw. It seems whoever cracked the account made a mistake by letting others know the password, and not spending time archiving everything.
That's what happens when you have immature prepubescents do aggressive investigation. :p

Revengeance said:
Also, the e-mail address was already known to the public, so Palin's people could have gone in and deleted anything questionable.

Tamanon

Banned
Revengeance said:

I believe the correct term is "for the lulz". Palin's not as important as Scientology:p

Revengeance said:

As far as we know......(it may very well be that someone has a full archive and they're using it to blackmail Palin (hence the Burn After Reading references...))

Also, even if everything WAS archived, the credibility of the data would be challenged anyways.

The rest of the world may never know.

The Lamonster said:
Also, the e-mail address was already known to the public, so Palin's people could have gone in and deleted anything questionable.
They definitely should have as soon as she was introduced to the national scene, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they hadn't. Discipline in vetting hasn't been a hallmark of the McCain campaign.

Gaborn

Hitokage said:
That's what happens when you have immature prepubescents do aggressive investigation. :p

It's really amazing, people are correctly screaming about the abuses of FISA and under the PATRIOT Act, but they seem generally pleased that people are hacking email accounts?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Does Obama's tax hike on the highest brackets also include incentives towards offsetting what's owed based on how much an individual has invested into US markets? Because that would be the optimal solution, the citizens that support our market get to keep most of their money in the end, the ones that just sit on it where it doesn't benefit anyone get the negative reinforcement they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom