• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaweee said:
We're the richest country in the world because we try not to do gargantuan government programs like that, or, at least we used to. Low taxes and free market mechanics encourage economic growth.

219qxhu.jpg

Eric P

the single craziest political comment i've ever seen at the washington post

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/17/palins_yahoo_account_hacked.html

REPUBLICANS HAVE A PLAN TO KILL ANY REMAINING HUMANS IN THE AFTERLIFE OR POLESHIFT

SO FOR YOUR OWN SAKE DON'T VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN THIS NOVEMBER BECAUSE POLE SHIFT IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT PRESIDENTS TENURE. AND HAVE YOU GUYS WONDER WHY REPUBLICANS BUSH AND NOW MCCAIN WANTING TO CONTINUE
AND EXPAND THE SPYING PROGRAM? TO SAVE US FROM TERRORISTS?
I DIDN'T THINK SO BUT TO TAKE CONTROL IN THE AFTERLIFE AND LOOK TO REMOVE ANYONE THREATENING THEM WHICH INCLUDES THE U.S. CITIZENS.

REPUBLICANS BELIEVE THAT U.S. CITIZENS ARE THE TERRORISTS AND THAT THE TERRORISTS THE MAJORITY OF U.S. CITIZENS BELIEVE IN ARE ACTUALLY BENEFITING THE REPUBLICAN PARTY, THUS REPUBLICANS ARE A FRIEND TO TERRORISTS WHICH MEANS ONLY ONE THING. YOU ARE CONSIDERED A TERRORIST TO THEM BECAUSE THEY SAY YOU WOULD INTERFERE WITH THEM AFTER THE POLESHIFT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN OR A DEMOCRAT MATTERS NOT. WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE CONTINUTING TO EXPAND THE SPYING PROGRAM TO MAKE SURE THEY KEEP AN EYE ON ANY POTENTIAL THREATS ON U.S. SOIL WHICH INCLUDES THE U.S. CITIZENS. I'LL BET YOU ANYTHING THAT A REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED WHITE HOUSE OR CONGRESS DURING AND AFTER THE POLESHIFT ASSURES YOUR DEATH AND THESE COWARDS GOING TO THEIR BUNKERS WHILE ALL OF YOU SUFFER FROM STARVATION OR FROM DEHYDRATION. OBAMA DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THE COMING POLE SHIFT, HE JUST HEARD RUMORS AND I'M SURE THAT HE HAS NO PLANS TO BETTER HIMSELF AFTER THE POLE SHIFT BUT TO ONLY AID AND ASSIST THOSE IN NEED.

MCCAIN KNOWS OF THE COMING POLE SHIFT AND THIS MEANS TROUBLE. ITS FUNNY HOW SOME PEOPLE ARE VOTING FOR MCCAIN THIS NOVEMBER BUT THEN THEY INTEND YOUR DEATH AFTER THE POLE SHIFT FOR THOSE REMAINING THAT STILL SURVIVED.
I HAVE A FAMILY WITH 5 KIDS AND I FEEL LIKE I WILL BE IN DANGER EVEN IF I SURVIVE THE POLE SHIFT BECAUSE OF THE REPUBLICANS AND THEIR SPYING PROGRAM.

I ACTUALLY HAD A DREAM ABOUT THIS EXACT EVENT LAST NIGHT POTENTIALLY HAPPENING. THIS IS NO ACCIDENT AND IT FELT SO REAL. I WAS ALSO SHOWN JOHN MCCAIN AND PALIN TOGETHER TALKING ABOUT HOW TO CONTROL THE HUMAN POPULATION AND HOW TO WEED THEM OUT THROUGH VARIOUS DISEASES. FOR MY FAMILY AND YOUR FAMILY'S SAKE DON'T VOTE FOR THESE TWO FACE
IDIOTS. OBAMA IN MY DREAM WAS SHOWN AS A COMPASSIONATE MAN WHO LOOKED TO AID THOSE IN TROUBLE. THIS IS NO LIE.. AND IM NOT SAYING THIS JUST BECAUSE I LIKE ONE CANDIDATE OVER THE OTHER. IT WAS ACTUALLY SHOWN TO ME IN MY DREAM.

HAS ANY OF YOU HAD SIMILAR EXPERIENCES LIKE THIS IN THEIR DREAMS?

Gruco

Banned
JayDubya said:
No, that's just people that can't pay for a service not getting a service, which generally isn't a problem in any other business, it's just that bleeding hearts get all whiny about this one.
Fuck bleeding hearts, I just don't like pissing money away on a system that sucks.

devilhawk

the_zombie_luke said:
Exactly! And a lot of European nations started doing socialized health care pretty soon after World War 2 too when they were in pretty bad economic shape. We have no excuse.
There is an excuse. We don't want socialized health care. All you really want is free health care. It doesn't work like that and it won't work like that.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yaweee said:
We're the richest country in the world because we try not to do gargantuan government programs like that, or, at least we used to. Low taxes and free market mechanics encourage economic growth.

Actually we pay more taxes for our healthcare than every other UHC country. the UHC countries that keep private non-profit insurance companies instead of the state as the insurer, we pay more than all of them too on top of still paying more in taxes per person. Half of all bankruptcies are caused by healthcare costs which is around 500,000 plus a year. Which inevitably hurts the economy and increases the use of other social programs like welfare, thus increasing government costs even more. Do you want me to go on? or is that enough?

should we privatize more? Well Switzerland tried that and guess what type of system they have now? Yep a UHC system, because it didnt work.

Oh and were not the richest country in the world.

Pakkidis

Why is America the richest country in the world (I pray that doesn't change), and yet we can't provide national health care to our citizens like GB and Japan? Shouldn't we be held to a higher standard?

Richest? Last I checked America is 400 TRILLION dollars in DEBT. America borrows money from China to pay for Oil from other countries.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yaweee said:
I really, really, really don't like McCain, but there's been a lot of ridiculous hyperbole about how terrible his election would be. Sure, he's been a complete and utter douchebag since the beginning of the general campaign, and, yes, there's not the slightest sign at all from the last year that he has any respect at all for civil liberties, but do people actually think he would be worse than Bush? I can't see why his being elected would push people to flee the country.

I don't know about fleeing necessarily, but if McCain does somehow get elected in 2008 I will pretty much give up on the United States and I will likely never return unless something dramatically changes.

I just do not want to be associated with a country that elects two people like John McCain and Sarah Palin after 8 years of neocon bullshit. Honestly, if you look at the issues objectively (which is difficult for me at times), I do not see how anyone can agree with John McCain's proposals as opposed to Obama's especially given the current economic situation. Why would anyone want at least another 4 more years of neocon bullshit?

I simply cannot relate with the anti-intellectual, willingly-ignorant, racist and ignorant population of this country who puts issues like "who would be more fun to have a beer with", "who is more folksy and country", and who supports a radical Christian agenda over the good will of the nation. If McCain gets elected for office next year then it is obvious that this portion of the country is in the majority, or at least the voting majority, and in my opinion an America with that kind of people in the majority does not deserve Democracy but does deserve what they will get under another neoconservative administration that will further run this country into the ground only to benefit a small group of the extremely rich.

I know I am somewhat exaggerating here, but I can easily understand anyone who wants to flee the country and disassociate themselves with the USA should McCain get elected. Why did immigrants come to America in the first place? They came because they didn't like their situations in their native country, they were possibly being oppressed, and they envisioned a better life for themselves in America. Anyone who doesn't agree with neoconservative values and radical Christian ideals should feel out of place in an America that elects McCain and seeking a better life for themselves elsewhere is not something to be surprised at in my opinion.

Yaweee said:
Low taxes and free market mechanics encourage economic growth.

:lol

Have you not been watching the meltdown going on this past 5 days?
Our markets have ALWAYS been free but you do need basic levels of regulation.

Also, who do you think is going to pay for the huge deficit that we have right now?

HylianTom

Banned
theviolenthero said:
:lol

Have you not been watching the meltdown going on this past 5 days?
Our markets have ALWAYS been free but you do need basic levels of regulation.

Also, who do you think is going to pay for the huge deficit that we have right now?

The invisible hand is going to finish-up that partial-birth abortion, take off its invisible glove, and then reach into the invisible pocket for its invisible wallet.

Gruco said:
Fuck bleeding hearts, I just don't like pissing money away on a system that sucks.
Yeah, this is the issue. Car companies were moving factories to Canada because the healthcare costs in the USA were killing them. Look, they can manufacture lots of stuff in Germany and Japan and those are not cheap countries . . . one of the reasons is that the healthcare costs are lower in those countries.

We need to be able to compete . . . and if our system is making us less competitive, we need to change it.

GhaleonEB

The bit about McCain not knowing who the Spanish Prime Minister is when speaking to the Spanish press really is hysterical. It was posted on the previous page, but check http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com and read the blog on the left. Apparently, he confused the Spanish Prime Minister for a rebel group in Mexico. :lol

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Sneak Preview: Presidential Questions

Katie Couric: What one personal flaw do you think might hinder your ability to be president?

Sen. Barack Obama: I don't think ... there's a flaw that would hinder my ability ... to function as president. I think that all of us have things we need to improve.

Sen. John McCain: You know I'm not an objective observer. I think that would have to be to make sure that I don't make any decisions that are not fully informed by every source of information that's credible I can possibly get.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/17/couricandco/entry4455870.shtml

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Byakuya769 said:
You left out option 3. Obama is more intelligent and capable than Palin and McCain. Also on national issues he has more experience. Finally he has been tested time and time again.

just had to add the bolded part. ;)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AndyIsTheMoney said:
3-4 years in the senate, half of the time running for president. that's experience? Never ran a business, never been in the military, never even ran anything. Has he ever even had people that work for him besides in his campaign?

Im not saying hes not qualified to be president, but his record is not experience. sorry its not. If this was McCain's record you would say the same thing. Your blind partisanship keeps you from admitting this.

He has obviously displayed amazing leadership skills in his campaign. The guy is extremely intelligent, very knowledgable about laws, well versed in foreign affairs and displays an understanding of how the economy works. He inspires many Americans a great deal and I doubt there has been a candidate in recent decades, if ever, to get young people as interested in politics as Obama has.

What kind of experience do you deem necessary to become the president? No one has experience running for president unless they are running for a second term. Besides, we have had plenty of president, with so-called "executive experience" who have done horrible things to this country. Leadership skills, intelligence, critical thinking and excellent judgement are much more important than experience (which has its definition changed depending on who you ask) when running for president in my opinion.

Boogie

JayDubya said:
No, that's just people that can't pay for a service not getting a service, which generally isn't a problem in any other business, it's just that bleeding hearts get all whiny about this one.

Fucking right.

Don't got the coin? Then I ain't responding to that call about a domestic in progress!

Yaweee said:
Actually, you're the richest country in the world because you had unrivalled, unfettered and undisputed access to vast reserves of untapped natural resources during the industrial revolution and weren't beggared in the twentieth century by either of the World Wars. Your transition into a service economy driven by middle class consumption was only inevitable after that.

Don't forget that your top marginal tax rates haven't been consistently low throughout most of the 20th century (the period of most of your growth). They were really low (about 7%) prior to World War 1, rose to ~70%, then dropped to 25% just prior to the Great Depression. The recovery began occuring just as rates jumped back to 70% and stayed high. They spiked again during World War 2, reaching a historic high of 94% in 1944. After that, during a period of unprecedented economic growth, they pretty much stayed in the 70s until Reagan came along. You can read about it here.

The USA's inevitable ascendency as a military and economic superpower was well known and talked about throughout the nineteenth century, just as China's inevitable ascendency is being talked about now.

Taxes distort economic systems, that much is certain, but you can't ascribe the US's wealth to taxes or government spending. It's much more complicated than that.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Tamanon said:
What are we holy shitting here? Besides the odd use of ellipses.
Obama: Flawless, baby!

McCain: I probably shouldn't jump to conclusions before I have all the information.

Conclusion: Obama is elitist, McCain is a reformer.

Tamanon

Banned
artredis1980 said:
McCain admits he makes hasty decisions not based on all information given to him. Obama can use this about economy and iraq

I think he's got a TON more material to work with instead of distorting a fluff quote from a Couric interview:p

Baby Milo

StoOgE said:
Guys, Obama is having great momentum right now. Donate 25 bucks, or 10 or 5, anything will help him. Its the lifeblood of his campaign.

You have seen McCains healthcare plan that would tax you for your company providing coverage.

You have seen McCains willingness to lie his way to the whitehouse.

And most recently you have seen the Bush/McCain/Graham economy at work this week in the failing financial markets.

Obama needs your monies to get the truth out.
just sent the homey barack a 50

Yaweee

vitaflo said:
*looks at stock market*

It isn't consistent, but you shouldn't correlate GDP with the stock market absolutely. Stocks are a measure of perceived value, with different investors preferring different revenue/value ratio. For all the panic about stock value.

And, we don't have low taxes-- our corporate income tax is still relatively high, our tax code is overly complicated to the point of promoting uneconomic, decisions, AND pretty much everyone on the planet realizes that taxes are going to have to increase to pay off the gargantuan debts we are accruing.

----

And, honestly, what is that Iran information supposed to represent? Islamic law and an economy almost entirely based on oil completely kills any sort of direct comparison; not only does Islamic law interfere with damn near every aspect of daily life, but it has phenomenally strict rules regarding usury.

Honestly, the only thing I can infer from that chart is "Poor country spends way too much damn money on the military, which is probably one of the reasons why they are poor."

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Larry King had Donald Trump on his show tonight.

After Donald Trump said, among other things, that the rich shouldn't be taxed because they're the real job creators out there, the real people behind a strong economy, he gave his official endorsement to John McCain.

Come on John, don't be shy, tell everyone that: DONALD TRUMP ENDORSES MCCAIN!

Of course, don't mention the fact that his alternate-universe-opposite (the good version) Warren Buffet endorses Obama.

Donald Trump is just what McCain needed!

Tamanon

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

After Donald Trump said, among other things, that the rich shouldn't be taxed because they're the real job creators out there, the real people behind a strong economy, he gave his official endorsement to John McCain.

Of course, don't mention the fact that his alternate-universe-opposite (the good version) Warren Buffet endorses Obama.

Donald Trump and Lady De Rothschild! McCain is ringing in the important endorsements now!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yaweee said:
It isn't consistent, but you shouldn't correlate GDP with the stock market absolutely. Stocks are a measure of perceived value, with different investors preferring different revenue/value ratio. For all the panic about stock value.

And, we don't have low taxes-- our corporate income tax is still relatively high, our tax code is overly complicated to the point of promoting uneconomic, decisions, AND pretty much everyone on the planet realizes that taxes are going to have to increase to pay off the gargantuan debts we are accruing.

----

And, honestly, what is that Iran information supposed to represent? Islamic law and an economy almost entirely based on oil completely kills any sort of direct comparison; not only does Islamic law interfere with damn near every aspect of daily life, but it has phenomenally strict rules regarding usury.

Honestly, the only thing I can infer from that chart is "Poor country spends way too much damn money on the military, which is probably one of the reasons why they are poor."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a_Zh0q70aPxY

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- The fastest-growing part of the global bond market is faltering, and it has nothing to do with subprime mortgages or the credit crunch.

The so-called sukuk market, which has doubled each year since 2004 and grown to $90 billion, is declining after a Bahrain-based group of Islamic scholars decreed in February that most bonds ran afoul of religious rules. Only one that complies with the edict has been issued, pushing up borrowing costs on projects including $200 billion of real-estate developments in the United Arab Emirates capital.

Ether_Snake said:

First Rothsberg, then Trump!

Obama should create a new ad. Life of the Rich and Famous starring John McCain

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Tamanon said:
Donald Trump and Lady De Rothschild! McCain is ringing in the important endorsements now!

Oh yes I forgot about her. It's almost like the Obama camp is controlling puppets. On the day Obama outrights calls out McCain on him being part of the "old boys network" that McCain pretends to be against, two super rich anti-rich-taxing come out and attack Obama and offer their clear (yet unsupported with actual arguments) support for McCain.

To continue with my belief that Palin was one of the worst choices ever (if not the worst)... notice how all the media attention is no longer on Obama. Remember way back when it was determined that the McCain camp's goal was to make this election about Obama, not McCain, Bush, Republicans...

Well it seems that the Palin pick put both McCain and her right on center fold. Obama is now just sitting in the cool shadows, working his ground game, and letting McCain/Palin take on a fight against the media.

Ad

life of the rich and famous starring john mccain, his closest advisors, rothsberg and trump

'I dont know how many houses I own , I would have to have my staff check on that'

Rothsberg: I endorse McCain - 'Rothsberg is a multimillionare married to a knight and lives between London and NY'

Trump: I endorse McCain - 'Donald Trump is a billionare building big buildings in NY and show is big wedding and gold platted hotels and then qoute him 'I dont want the rich to be taxed'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom