• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to rehash anything, but how much as McCain's stance on Spain been discussed to far? The whole "we'd rather declare a NATO ally a sworn enemy rather then admit I was completely befuddled?"

It's a little bit more than a minor campaign gaffe IMO. The fact that he wants to double down on his stupidity is frightening.

explodet

Hitokage said:
You laugh now, but what ideas do YOU have to stop the flow of Spanish illegal immigrants?
bulllrun_ld,0.jpg

GhaleonEB said:

See that big star beside Tallahassee, FL? That's where McCain was running his NC campaign out of, and I think still is given that all of the field offices in NC for McCain are being run not by him but by the RNC.

That's a reason why we here in NC think we have a shot at this-McCain let us organize and going on a canvassing/voter registration rampage, and we think that plus the national mood and Obama's own strengths with minorities give us a potentially winning coalition.

tanod

when is my burrito
The Lamonster said:
heh

To me, this is bad news because it means the McC camp is finally going to be responsible with their resources and stop wasteful campaign spending.

Maybe running out of money. I sincerely doubt they can keep up what they've been doing since they've been spending well over $42 million a month. I don't think the $84 million is gonna get them to November 4th without some serious cutbacks.

Kildace

tanod said:
I think the strategy was for Palin and McCain to split up to do separate fundraising and campaign events in a lot of different states (like every other campaign since forever has done it) but it ends up making McCain look really bad when his crowds are shit. So they end up getting chained together limiting their ability to fundraise and cover more ground.

... which ends up making McCain look even worse when half the crowd leaves after Palin is done speaking.

Diablos

Incognito said:
Indeed. The Rotschild (butchered spelling) endorsement of McCain is probably a harbinger of sorts. I suspect women to flock to McCain, now.
Nobody knows who the fuck this woman is.

edit: God dammit Incognito, you got me again. :D

PALIN GETS PWNED BY JEWISH LOBBY

The organizers of an anti-Iran rally Monday rescinded their invitation to Alaska Governor Sarah Palin after Democrats protested that her presence would turn the event into a political rally, McCain campaign and Jewish community sources said.

The Conference of Presidents of Major Jewish Organizations created a political tempest by inviting Palin to speak without clearing her invitation with another speaker, Senator Hillary Clinton. Clinton promptly dropped out of the event, saying it would be seen as unduly political. The McCain campaign then pressed Senator Barack Obama to join Palin on the stage in a show of unity against Iran.

The Obama campaign in turn offered to send Congressman Robert Wexler of Florida to the event, but the appearance that the non-partisan group was aligning with the Republican ticket put the group and its president, Malcolm Hoenlein, under heavy pressure from Jewish Democrats, including members of the conference and members of Congress, not to give Palin a platform, sources said. Hoenlein told the McCain campaign that he would have to rescind Palin's invitation or cancel the rally.

The organizers, I'm told, have formally disinvited all elected and political officials, but the move was about Palin.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:

Let me add to this department

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/18/palins-transparency-proposal-already-exists-in-dc/

Palin's transparency proposal already exists in D.C.

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
Sarah Palin says she will bring the same kind of transparency she brought to Alaska to Washington, D.C..
Sarah Palin says she will bring the same kind of transparency she brought to Alaska to Washington, D.C..

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (CNN) – Sarah Palin likes to tell voters around the country about how she “put the government checkbook online” in Alaska. On Thursday, Palin suggested she would take that same proposal to Washington.

“We’re going to do a few new things also,” she said at a rally in Cedar Rapids. “For instance, as Alaska’s governor, I put the government’s checkbook online so that people can see where their money’s going. We’ll bring that kind of transparency, that responsibility, and accountability back. We’re going to bring that back to D.C.”

There’s just one problem with proposing to put the federal checkbook online – somebody’s already done it. His name is Barack Obama.

In 2006 and 2007, Obama teamed up with Republican Sen. Tom Coburn to pass the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act, also known as “Google for Government.” The act created a free, searchable web site – USASpending.gov — that discloses to the public all federal grants, contracts, loans and insurance payments.

In June of this year, Obama and Coburn introduced new Senate legislation to expand the information available online to include details on earmarks, competitive bidding, criminal activities, audit disputes and other government information.

Palin might also have noted that her running mate, John McCain, was an original co-sponsor of the 2006 transparency bill that became law.

Xisiqomelir

Diablos said:
Nobody knows who the fuck this woman is.

Dude, I can understand falling for Steve Youngblood, because he's only been doing the joke post thing recently, but Incognito has had his tag forever. C'mon now :lol

There's a difference between nutjob website and highly populated blog just like nutjob radio show and Larry King. They are still considered media, just one far more relevant than the other.

You honestly think Internet media doesn't exist?

This is semantic. If I piss 'Palin sucks' in the snow, that could be considered 'media'.

It is just when someone says 'the media', they are generally not talking about fringe & partisan sites. DailyKos is more like an internet meeting place for left people to discuss what is on their minds. It is not intended as a news website.

The cognitive dissonance continues. The same people trying to squelch a bi-partisan investigation into an ethics complaint (including dodging subpoenas) are bragging about 'transparency'? :lol

Rur0ni

speculawyer said:
The cognitive dissonance continues. The same people trying to squelch a bi-partisan investigation into an ethics complaint (including dodging subpoenas) are bragging about 'transparency'? :lol
Indeed. Will this get concluded before the election? :\

Looking at the internals for some of the bigtenpoll results, party ID is fubaring a few of them (MN, WI, IA especially) are absurdly high for the GOP and are way off the numbers other pollers are getting.

When you poll more Republicans, you get more favorable results.

Banned
speculawyer said:
This is semantic. If I piss 'Palin sucks' in the snow, that could be considered 'media'.

It is just when someone says 'the media', they are generally not talking about fringe & partisan sites. DailyKos is more like an internet meeting place for left people to discuss what is on their minds. It is not intended as a news website.
Except it is used by many as a news website(Did you protest when the dailykos poll came out with obama on top?)

It is respected as a news website

It's owner is respected by many journalists.

If you piss in the snow and call everyone over to see it, yeah maybe that is media because you are communicating but no one cares what you piss in the snow, and no one gives you relevance. Many websites, many blogs carry legit relevance. If a website kills itself by posting non-information and conspiracies than they will be ignored. So what, that doesn't mean all of a sudden there's the "media" and then there's the internet in the corner.

HylianTom

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Looking at the internals for some of the bigtenpoll results, party ID is fubaring a few of them (MN, WI, IA especially) are absurdly high for the GOP and are way off the numbers other pollers are getting.

I was wondering about that.

Given that the Obama+10 in Colorado poll has accurate internals, today has been a pretty good day.

OuterWorldVoice said:
This tells me that they are failing hard at their original strategy and are now going to circle the wagons around the base. This also tells me that the Palin pick will be remembered as one of the greatest, dumbest catastrophes in American politics.

Serves the Republicans right. They can toss this great, dumb catastrophe on top of the pile they've already accumulated over the past 7 years. And what a pile it is.

tanod said:
Maybe running out of money. I sincerely doubt they can keep up what they've been doing since they've been spending well over $42 million a month. I don't think the $84 million is gonna get them to November 4th without some serious cutbacks.

You! Store Thread! Now! :D

It won't, but the RNC is the premiere fund raising organization in this country. They will find a way to get what they need.

Yaweee

Man, I'm in class most of the day and I leave to see that stocks are up and McCain's polls are down. What a glorious day; I think I will go out and eat some chicken.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Except it is used by many as a news website(Did you protest when the dailykos poll came out with obama on top?)
What does using it as a news website mean?

Conjecture. Show me examples of where an undefined group respects it as a news website.

If you piss in the snow and call everyone over to see it, yeah maybe that is media
Oh, I see your point - you're just thinking up artful uses of English words! How prescient!*

* By prescient I mean idiotic.

It's owner is respected by many journalists.

If you piss in the snow and call everyone over to see it, yeah maybe that is media because you are communicating but no one cares what you piss in the snow, and no one gives you relevance. Many websites, many blogs carry legit relevance. If a website kills itself by posting non-information and conspiracies than they will be ignored. So what, that doesn't mean all of a sudden there's the "media" and then there's the internet in the corner.
Ugh... I seriously don't know why you continue to argue this.

The entire criticism of the argument is not to argue that there isn't a single person out there with any audience who is smearing Palin. That would be a stupid point to contend.

The argument is that the entire "Left-wing media is scrutinizing Palin to a degree that NO POLITICIAN EVER has been subjected to" is a contrived narrative that is meant to serve as a smokescreen to distract from any legitimate investigation into her record.

It's massive hyperbole. If right-wing talking points concerning the disgraceful treatment of Sarah Palin were to be believed, I could turn on the television right now, flip it to any news station, and see continuing coverage of Palin-gate.

That's not happening. Instead, they latch on to the weakest strawman arguments from news sources that no average person is getting their news from and go "See? Look at what 'The Media' is doing to her!" It's a crock and you know it.

So if the McCain campaign concedes the blue states does that mean we're right back into the classic "us vs. them", divide and conquer strategy?

So no more "crossing the isle" rhetoric?

Barrett2

Fragamemnon said:

Whoa, I forgot all about that voter ID law in Indiana. Is there an expectation that it will screw Obama on Nov 4?

GhaleonEB

Jason's Ultimatum said:
With these new polls out today, will we see a bump tommorrow in the EV for Obama from 538 or even the hated electoral-vote?
It will continue to shift. Nate's model lags results, so smooth over outliers. Obama's sustained bump in the national polls will move the numbers. The state polling is all over the place today, so I need his summary to make any sense of it.

That pivot from the fainted person to the "we're in this together" finale was smooooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom