• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuCkymoON

Banned
omg rite said:
95% of people have at one point said a racial slur. Everyones is racist in some way, whether they mean to be or not.
I'm glad you agree that only 5% of this population is fit to serve in a government seat.

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
"we still don't know who barack obama is"
"That's because you haven't been listening"

I wanted someone to just call him a dipshit talking point repeater like the GOPAC is.

The female activist on that show was far, far more annoying. Bitch never shut the fuck up. Ever.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
JB1981 said:
The female activist on that show was far, far more annoying. Bitch never shut the fuck up. Ever.
...more so than Steele? Really?

Why is it that most of the Republicans says that Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president than either Barack or Biden because she has EXECUTIVE experience but they don't say she is more qualified that John Mccain???

Partisan politics aside(bwahahahahahahahaha), isn't this the next logical step in their argument???????????

They got the ticket in reverse I guess.

AniHawk

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Why is it that most of the Republicans says that Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president than either Barack or Biden because she has EXECUTIVE experience but they don't say she is more qualified that John Mccain???

Partisan politics aside(bwahahahahahahahaha), isn't this the next logical step in their argument???????????

Jon Stewart brought this up to Huckabee. I forget what happened afterwards, but I remember that Huck agreed that she has more executive experience than McCain.

Kusagari

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Being a commander in the navy is apparently Executive Experience.

Kusagari said:
Being a commander in the navy is apparently Executive Experience.
but at most that is 5 years (1976-april1, 1981). sarah palin was a TWO TERM mayor as well as a GOVERNOR for 1.5 years, she has vastly more executive experience and an actual diversity of experience in leading government and having to work with city counsels/legislatures, vs. a military unit.

when their experiences combine, however, they form...captain planet!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
I felt she was too conciliatory on a number of points, but at least she wasn't spouting bullshit.

Apparently, only in the US can you be fit for presidential governing by being able to drink a beer with someone (and bowling is key too).

The democrats may lose partly because 8 million African Americans have yet to register to vote, independents and southerners seem to be excited about Palin. And its not because they believe she is going to create more jobs, or she is going to reform Washington.
But their excited because she's very attractive, she likes to shoot and kill animals for fun. She believes that the Iraq war is a task from god. Also that you can pray away homosexuality.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Y2Kev said:
I felt she was too conciliatory on a number of points, but at least she wasn't spouting bullshit.

293.washington.kerry.100507.jpg

If all activists were this fine, world peace would have been achieved years ago.

ronito

teruterubozu said:
"Executive experience"...so ridiculous. She should join the next season of The Apprentice then.
Well, I run teams and projects and I bet I'm not the only GAFFer that does, I'm also positive several GAFFers that own their own businesses. We all talk about foreign policy and not only that most of us have ACTUALLY gone to other countries. And lastly we can deliver blistering untrue hate filled attacks against the opposition. ZOMG!!! PoliGAF for VP!! We're more qualified than Palin.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
OG_Original Gamer said:
The democrats may lose partly because 8 million African Americans have yet to register to vote, independents and southerners seem to be excited about Palin. And its not because they believe she is going to create more jobs, or she is going to reform Washington.
But their excited because she's very attractive, she likes to shoot and kill animals for fun. She believes that the Iraq war is a task from god. Also that you can pray away homosexuality.

I haven't seen any evidence indicating independents have been swayed by her. Any links for that?

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
What the hell is up with the music in the background?

You know when I was listening to it I had a odd desire to play Earthbound again. But of course, many things give me that desire.

gkryhewy

bob_arctor said:
I haven't seen any evidence indicating independents have been swayed by her. Any links for that?

You are correct, although the press is still running with the "independents MAY" or "if some of those hillary supporters.." angles. There are some independents who are to the right of the Republican Party, however, and they are pleased.

Trurl

Banned
JB1981 said:
Umm, I reluctantly agree with you. In a way I liked her, but she wouldn't let anyone else speak for more than 3 seconds before interrupting. Scott McClellan was kind of lost in all the excitement, I bet he could have had some interesting things to contribute.

I haven't watched the 3rd Youtube video of the discussion yet. Maybe it gets better.

ronito said:
Well, I run teams and projects and I bet I'm not the only GAFFer that does, I'm also positive several GAFFers that own their own businesses. We all talk about foreign policy and not only that most of us have ACTUALLY gone to other countries. And lastly we can deliver blistering untrue hate filled attacks against the opposition. ZOMG!!! PoliGAF for VP!! We're more qualified than Palin.

Omarosa for VP!!

Mumei

scorcho said:
yeah. why aim for an already low number and go even lower! learning of this, my soon-to-be started polling service will only use a sample size of 50 people.

634px-Marginoferror95.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margin_of_error

I'm too lazy to actually type something up, but the point is that you don't need a large number of people to accurately poll if you do your sampling properly, test your questions before polling, test your survey itself for question interaction, properly train interviewers, etc.

There're tons of other ways for error to be introduced (people misinterpreting questions, poorly designed questions (e.g. tries to measure two things at once, big no-no), other forms of human error (e.g. You hit "1" for "male" or "2" for "female," if you were an interviewer for the 2004 National Election Survey; suppose you had done 15 that day, with literally dozens of questions for each one, and you accidentally hit the wrong number. It automatically goes to the next thing; now human error has been introduced), and other stuffs.

But assuming they got everything they could "right," the statistical margin of error is probably pretty good.

hokahey

Trurl said:
Umm, I reluctantly agree with you. In a way I liked her, but she wouldn't let anyone else speak for more than 3 seconds before interrupting. Scott McClellan was kind of lost in all the excitement, I bet he could have had some interesting things to contribute.

I was annoyed as well. She seemed way to god damn eager to appear smart and informed. She also seemed like she thought it was supposed to be some battle royale shouting match and that she would be the winner.

I liked her opinions, but seriously...shut the fuck up every now and then.

bob_arctor said:

No links, watched the morning news and independents(some) questioned said they're moving from Obama to Mccain because of Palin.

Tamanon

Banned
hokahey said:
I was annoyed as well. She seemed way to god damn eager to appear smart and informed. She also seemed like she thought it was supposed to be some battle royale shouting match and that she would be the winner.

I liked her opinions, but seriously...shut the fuck up every now and then.

Sounds like she's just used to being on regular shows:p

mccain seemed to've got a lackluster convention bounce, considering how ga-ga everybody is over palin. but i'd guess he's gaining momentum and it'll take a week to see how the cluserfuck of the past two week's events will pan out.

Tamanon

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
mccain seemed to've got a lackluster convention bounce, considering how ga-ga everybody is over palin. but i'd guess he's gaining momentum and it'll take a week to see how the cluserfuck of the past two week's events will pan out.

His momentum might see a hit by the fact that he won't have Palin for the next week or two as she's back in Alaska beingg tutored.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Amir0x said:
You know when I was listening to it I had a odd desire to play Earthbound again. But of course, many things give me that desire.

You're very badly damaged inside. Like a clock filled with random clockwork pieces. Shaken.

gkryhewy

OG_Original Gamer said:
No links, watched the morning news and independents(some) questioned said they're moving from Obama to Mccain because of Palin.

Interesting - lots of polls indicate otherwise. Will be interesting how polls develop in the coming weeks.

typhonsentra said:
More on what I was talking about yesterday:

For those of you uninterested in reading her dreck the concept is simple and an old standby for anyone losing an argument: Pick out a small aspect of a true story that isn't true and focus on that rather than the big issue. The article from Anchorage she linked to clearly states the librarian was fired due to lack of loyalty and Malkin even quotes it but.... she doesn't view it as suspicious. Oh, they also made this, which she uses in almost every post now!

pds.jpg

Has anyone actually got one of these supposed banned book lists? I certainly haven't, but I'm not on anyone's liberal mailing lists. This smells very Rovian . . . make up a lie and whine about your opponent supposedly spreading that lie.

If someone actually did make up such a bogus list and spread it, that is completely indefensible. But I'm quite skeptical.

Beavertown

Garbage
I was just looking at the electoral map, trying to figure out how in the hell McCain can even win, and then noticed, all he has to do is flip CO and carry Ohio and the Virginia's (currently all tied), and he has it. That's of course assuming he keeps Florida.

Edit: Even if he doesn't carry CO, then he can still win with ID, WY and SD. Anyone know which way they went in 2004? I'm assuming they are red states.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
syllogism said:
I'm not but Obama's Monday bump may have been due to Palin (or just noise) and not DNC

No Obama's bump on Monday WAS because of the Palin pick. If you or Cheebs for that matter look at the polling day to day you would have seen that Obama reached a peak in the DNC bump on Saturday and received an extra bump when the media was confused on why McCain picked Palin.

That cost the Obama bump on Monday. For some reason Cheebs doesn't seem to know that.

ShOcKwAvE

kkaabboomm said:
clinton was a gov.
reagan was a gov.

being a gov does not automagically mean horrible-ness as president

Um, wtf, that was not my point. Being Gov is no argument for being Pres or VP.

bob_arctor said:
Yeah. Not only racist, but blatantly racist. I missed all that in the speech. Hell, I didn't even catch Rudy's affirmative action dig re: Obama's magical trip to the doorstep of the White House.
Only in America! (cue laughter and applause that Republicans would say is mocking and denigrating America if the Dems did it)

gkrykewy said:
Interesting - lots of polls indicate otherwise. Will be interesting how polls develop in the coming weeks.

Its kind of scary to think that the democrats could lose because of a VP. I can only see things getting worse. With many people in the south that don't vote on their on economic interest, but instead vote based on whether or not someone will take their AR15 Assault Rifle away. Which is false, but fear is powerful.

Tamanon

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
Its kind of scary to think that the democrats could lose because of a VP. I can only see things getting worse. With many people in the south that don't vote on their on economic interest, but instead vote based on whether or not someone will take their AR15 Assault Rifle away. Which is false, but fear is powerful.

Most Southern states weren't really in play to begin with. Running up the score down there won't help.

The swing to McCain due to Palin would be interesting. Outside of being a female (which just brings hype) she doesn't offer much. McCain is playing hard-right to appeal to the base while Palin is just crazy hard-right. She's completely unfit for office. The press knows it and just dances around the subject while allowing republican talking points to claim she has the 'executive experience that's needed' which is utter nonsense.

What's especially disappointing is that McCain's campaign has voiced that their goal now is not to highlight policy differences and to make an argument as to why their policy ideas are better but instead they've voiced that they're going to play up personality as their number one strategy (well as attempt character assassination of Obama-Biden).

If anything, the media should at the very least call them on this.

Cloudy

Banned
Obama's in Indiana right now having a rally. Zinged the GOP about the fact that everyone's suddenly talking about change now so "our campaign must really be onto something" :lol

I checked on C-SPAN and they're not carrying it and Fox News quickly took it off since it was making McCain look bad :p

What's especially disappointing is that McCain's campaign has voiced that their goal now is not to highlight policy differences and to make an argument as to why their policy ideas are better but instead they've voiced that they're going to play up personality as their number one strategy (well as attempt character assassination of Obama-Biden).

If anything, the media should at the very least call them on this.

I didn't except McCain to stoop to this and I didn't really care about this election that much cos I assumed it was 2 honorable guys running. Boy, was I wrong. To see him toss away everything he's stood for in the past just to win shows what kind of prez he'd be (Just a token guy with the Bushies still running everything)

Cheebs said:
Yeah. MSNBC said just recently todays Gallup will have Obama down a bit from yesterday, only up by 2.
Well if the 'McCain bounce' from his convention means that he is only down by 2 then . . . well . . . I think Peggy Noonan said it best: It's over.

AniHawk

speculawyer said:
Well if the 'McCain bounce' from his convention means that he is only down by 2 then . . . well . . . I think Peggy Noonan said it best: It's over.

But they said Friday polling is going very, very well for McCain.

However Rasmussen showed little movement. 3 points now instead of 2.

Uncooked said:
It has been funny, but it has become more and more bias ever since 2004. Both parties are completely retarded and should be fair game, however they still try to make the Democrats look like they are somehow the good guys who will magically make America ten times better. Notice how when they make "jokes" about Obama it is always a joke about how great he is and a play on the whole savior of the party thing. When they make fun of McCain it is more about incompetence, scandal, metal abilities and the like. I could be wrong but I remember them being way more impartial during the 2000 election and it won them a ton of awards and was hilarious, they should go back to it rather than trying to swing votes for whatever reason. Also, Jon Stewart doesn't seem to know what an earmark is.
Do you call out actual news networks or pundits for being biased? Yet you want comedy shows to be impartial. Stewart has made traditional jokes against Obama, and the audience didn't laugh. "Not so funny when it's your guy?" He should tell flat jokes just to appease some supposed obligation to be fair and balanced? His audience does laugh at the Obama-messiah type jibes, so that's the direction they go for him.

gkryhewy

speculawyer said:

I expect continued trending McCain through Monday, particularly if he had a "very good" polling day yesterday. But Rasmussen edging the other way is interesting.

GhaleonEB

C'mon baby. Let's see those streams cross.

This is the first tracker to have the entire GOP convention reaction. It's going to be interesting to see how it trends from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom