• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
What are you talking about? She's been doing far more than most fallen candidates have. That's the reason there aren't headlines. They're fighting a negative battle, either she stumps, gets local headlines, and no national headlines, or she doesn't, and you get "Dems in strife" headlines everywhere.

she is refusing to go after her surrogates who switched sides to McCain
she is refusing to go after Palin as everyone knows she can really hit her off
she is refusing to come on national tv news shows to defend obama like kerry or mcCaskill

I see a supporter like Kerry, Richardson and I see someone like Hillary, there is a night and day difference between how they are approaching this

Stoney Mason said:
The anti-Hillary crowd on the board need to simply get over the primaries.
I am not a politician, so it's hard for me to so quickly forget the hate she spewed at Obama just months ago. Anyway, I disagree that she's doing enough. She needs to do some high profile interviews and she needs to use some strong language against her bitter ex-supporters.

edit:
artredis1980 said it better

Tamanon

Banned
artredis1980 said:
she is refusing to go after her surrogates who switched sides to McCain
she is refusing to go after Palin as everyone knows she can really hit her off
she is refusing to come on national tv news shows to defend obama like kerry or mcCaskill

I see a supporter like Kerry, Richardson and I see someone like Hillary, there is a night and day difference between how they are approaching this

That's because Hillary is not being used as an attack dog, she's being used as an advocate. They don't use her to attack because most of her attacks they could easily deflect and say "well you said the same thing about Obama". So they just use her in a positive light.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
McCain camp criticism rife with errors
By BEN SMITH | 9/22/08 3:58 PM EDT
Text Size:

Senator John McCain’s top aides convened a conference call today to complain of being called “liars.” They pressed the media to scrutinize specific elements of Senator Barack Obama’s record.

But the call was so rife with simple, often inexplicable misstatements of fact that it may have had the opposite effect: Deepening the perception, dangerous to McCain, that he and his aides have little regard for factual accuracy.

The errors in McCain strategist Steve Schmidt’s charges against Obama and Senator Joe Biden were particularly notable because they seemed unnecessary. Schmidt repeatedly gilded the lily: He exaggerated the Biden family's already problematic ties to the credit card industry; Obama’s embarrassing relationship with a 1960s radical; and an Obama supporter’s over-the-top attack on Sarah Palin when – in each case – the truth would have been damaging enough.

“Any time the Obama campaign is criticized at any level, the critics are immediately derided as liars,” Schmidt told reporters.

But as he went on to list a series of stories he thought reporters should be writing about Obama and Biden, in almost every instance he got the details wrong.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13747.html

Tamanon said:
That's because Hillary is not being used as an attack dog, she's being used as an advocate. They don't use her to attack because most of her attacks they could easily deflect and say "well you said the same thing about Obama". So they just use her in a positive light.

defending obama is not being an attack dog, not once has she been on any mainstream news show

artredis1980 said:
defending obama is not being an attack dog, not once has she been on any mainstream news show

Maybe because both Obama and Clinton don't believe that's a good idea? You'd have more questions regarding Clinton's rapprochement with Obama and if the Democratic party is truly united, blah blah blah.

The Lamonster said:
I am not a politician, so it's hard for me to so quickly forget the hate she spewed at Obama just months ago. Anyway, I disagree that she's doing enough. She needs to do some high profile interviews and she needs to use some strong language against her bitter ex-supporters.

She's said multiple times including convention speeches and stops in flordia that Obama is the candidate to support. Nobody is dumb enough to believe that the crazy Hillary supporters who went over to Mccain are anything but bitter. The ones that have gone over have embarrassed themselves. There is no need to go out and denounce what is demonstrably absurd in this case. Her saying anything isn't going to do anything to convince the crazy. Not to mention isn't the focus supposed to be on Obama and Biden not Hillary? Doesn't this present an opportunity for her to be attacked and brought up in Mccain ads like everybody was saying on here a few months ago? Barack Obama will need to win this election. Not Hillary Clinton and the sooner people realize that the better off Barack Obama will be.

avaya

Hillary was interviewed outside the NY Fed on Street Signs by Erin at 2.30pm EDT today on CNBC. She spoke well about the situation, had a strong grasp of the issues. Erin asked her what she thought about Palin and she didn't want to know and reiterated that the country needs to have a Democratic administration to fix the financial crisis.

teruterubozu said:
It's really a damned-if-you-do-damned-if you-don't situation.

well take an example. hillary could have come on as a guest on wolf blitzer when her ex fund raiser millionare endorsed McCain and asked her why she is doing it and shamed her and McCain at the same time.

similiarly atleast hillary could have put out a written statement condemning her staffers who switched to Mccain and ofcourse she did not

Stoney Mason said:
She's doing fine. There is no reason for Hillary to overly insert herself into this process at his time. Obama is going fine. Palin is very polarizing. The focus should remain on Obama and ideally Biden and the debate will help that.

The anti-Hillary crowd on the board need to simply get over the primaries.

Hillary getting into the fray would be WAY too distracting for the media.

Stoney Mason said:
Sh'se said multiple times including convention speeches and stops in flordia that Obama is the candidate to support. Nobody is dumb enough to believe that the crazy Hillary supporters who went over to Mccain are anything but bitter. The ones that have gone over have embarrassed themselves. There is no need to go out and denounce what is demonstrably absurd in this case. Her saying anything isn't going to do anything to convince the crazy. Not to mention isn't the focus supposed to be on Obama and Biden not Hillary? Doesn't this present an opportunity for her to be attacked and brought up in Mccain ads like everybody was saying on here a few months ago? Barack Obama will need to win this election. Not Hillary Clinton and the sooner people realize that the better of Barack Obama will be.
She could at least show up on Hardball and take questions for 6 minutes. Claire McCaskill and Bill Richardson have been doing a fuckawesome job of being cable news surrogates, but where's Hillary?

edit: exactly, she could at least put out some written statements when shit goes down

artredis1980 said:
well take an example. hillary could have come on as a guest on wolf blitzer when her ex fund raiser millionare endorsed McCain and asked her why she is doing it and shamed her and McCain at the same time.
t

No one cares about that bullshit. Why have Hillary go through the motions on said bullshit?

NY Times Responds to McCain criticism of thier paper

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0908/NYTs_Keller_responds_to_McCain_criticism.html

"The New York Times is committed to covering the candidates fully, fairly and aggressively. It's our job to ask hard questions, fact-check their statements and their advertising, examine their programs, positions, biographies and advisors. Candidates and their campaign operatives are not always comfortable with that level of scrutiny, but it's what our readers expect and deserve."

Door2Dawn

Banned
artredis1980 said:

similiarly atleast hillary could have put out a written statement condemning her staffers who switched to Mccain and ofcourse she did not
No one gives a shit about those people. Everyone knows this.

artredis1980 said:

Why should she? She's made it clear - over and over again - that Obama is the candidate she supports, and the candidate most in line with her beliefs. She has left nothing up to ambiguous speculation. She can make her own decisions - she's not an object to be pulled out of Obama's pocket whenever he needs it.

Directly addressing these fringe groups of supports would merely give them more credence and air time - two things they certainly don't deserve

The Lamonster said:
She could at least show up on Hardball and take questions for 6 minutes. Claire McCaskill and Bill Richardson have been doing a fuckawesome job of being cable news surrogates, but where's Hillary?

The media has ADD. They won't be asking why she is supporting Obama; they'll be asking why it took her so long to support him, the status of her supporters, whether she has unresolved feelings on the primary, etc. Basically, unnecessary bullshit that Hillary would do well to avoid.

The Lamonster said:

As I said this campaign is about Barrack Obama. Those that think Hillary is going to magically be able to transfer her most adamant supporters are deluding themselves. They did a great job at the convention and since then the focus has been on Barack. I'm sure they will continue to do things as we close upon the election. But the attitudes here often seem like people who want to get more atonement for the primary or nervous nancies who are seeking out some way to provide an escape pacifier if Obama loses (Hillary didn't do enough so Barack lost!). Everything is going fine at the moment. There is zero need to take the focus off of Obama which a Hillary Big Splash would inevitably do for the media.

One of the most powerful envangelical leader in US endorses Obama

Richard Cizik, the chief lobbyist for the National Association of Evangelicals, was named one of TIME's 100 most influential people.

Richard Cizik is one of the country’s most powerful and outspoken Christian evangelical leaders. He happens to be a Republican, and he has known the GOP’s presidential nominee for many years. “I thought John McCain was a principled person,” Cizik says. “But John McCain has backed off, not just on climate change but on torture and a sensible tax policy — in other words, he’s not the John McCain of 2000. … He seems to be waffling on issue after issue.

It’s not illogical for someone to conclude that John McCain is going to be more like George Bush than John McCain is going to be like John McCain in 2000.”

That said, come Nov. 4 does Cizik plan to cast his vote for Barack Obama? He doesn’t know.

“Obama doesn’t have the experience all of us would like,” Cizik says. “I’m not in Washington to be an advocate for the Republican or the Democratic Party; that’s not my calling. I’m not an ideologue. I do wish Obama had 10 years experience in the Senate and Sarah Palin had [more experience].

“I am a Republican, but I’m not comfortable with giving the Republicans four more years. I don’t see John McCain differing enough from the incumbent, and yet Obama is a work in progress, pretty much, so we’d be taking some risk with him. It’s a conundrum.”

read the rest in the link

http://coloradoindependent.com/8807/evangelical-leader-smacks-mccain-for-lack-of-principle

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
speculawyer said:
I think much of the right-wing lives in such a right-wing echo chamber of Limbaugh, Hannity, and Fox News that they don't have any concept of where reality is. They hear the same lies over and over again until they assume they are true. They are flabbergasted when people don't accept their distortions as truth.

I was watching MSNBC earlier, and Contessa had two people on [dem vs rep], asking what the difference was between Obama and McCain's approach to the $700bil bail out, as there seemingly was none.

The Obama guy answered first, directly answering what Contessa ASKED and what differences there were. When it came to the McCain surrogate, holy sheeeeeeet. Didn't even bother addressing the question. She went straight into full-on attack mode and trying to tie Obama to FM/FM.

The Obama surrogate had the smarts and balls to call her out on it, as to why she didn't bother addressing Contessa's question, and rather went into smear mode.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
mckmas8808 said:
OH SNAP!!! What's PUMA going to say now?
That this is a lie - Bill is spinning this to counter any suggestion that Obama should've picked his wife. Besides, aggrieved Clinton supporters backing Obama don't seem to me the most rational group of individuals...

JCreasy

speculawyer said:
I think much of the right-wing lives in such a right-wing echo chamber of Limbaugh, Hannity, and Fox News that they don't have any concept of where reality is. They hear the same lies over and over again until they assume they are true. They are flabbergasted when people don't accept their distortions as truth.

uh oh

we have a challenger for Post of the Day!

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/09/poster-boy-shep.html
'Obey' Street Artist Churns Out 'Hope' for Obama
By Jenna Wortham EmailSeptember 21, 2008 | 1:33:00 PMCategories: Art, Celebrity, Design, DIY, Events, Politics
shepard_c_660x.jpg

If you've been to any major U.S. city recently, you may have spotted a two-tone print of presidential candidate Barack Obama emblazoned with the word "Hope" on a bumper sticker, lamp post or building.

Shepard Fairey, the 38-year-old street artist known for a guerrilla art campaign that coupled the ominous slogan "Obey" with the face of pro wrestler Andre the Giant, is behind the Obama design that has become synonymous with the Democratic nominee.

"I'm thrilled that my image has become an unofficial image for the campaign," said Fairey (pictured) on the eve of his new solo exhibition in San Francisco. "It's awesome."

Although Fairey's name has been known in underground art circles for decades, and his work has been commissioned by everyone from hip-hop group The Black-Eyed Peas to Showtime and Pepsi, it is his ubiquitous image of the presidential hopeful that has catapulted him into mainstream consciousness.

Fairey, along with artists like billboard hacker Ron English and British graffiti artist Banksy, has helped elevate street art, changing public perception of such works. Instead of vandalism, street art increasingly is viewed as a radical art movement worth preserving.
picture_3_2.png

"Street art is like the new punk rock -- it's entering the mainstream," said William Haugh, director of Juxtapoz magazine. "And Shepard is behind all that."

Marc Schiller, CEO of New York-based ElectricArtists and co-founder of the street art blog Wooster Collective, agrees. He says Fairey's DIY approach and masterful use of iconography contribute to his successes.

"For many, many years the mainstream art world looked at street art as vandalism," said Schiller. "Now it's influencing the brands and the galleries. It's a natural evolution."

Although Fairey rose to fame for illicitly papering cities around the world with his signature stencils, the Los Angeles-based graphic designer says he hopes his iconic Obama posters will inspire more than just an underground revolution: He wants to infect the masses with the spirit of change.

"You never know when the street art bubble is going to burst," said Fairey. "But hopefully these works have merit beyond just the hype of that scene."

obama_hope.jpg

Before going into production on his first Obama-inspired print, Fairey, a fan of the senator after seeing him speak in 2004, was careful to seek approval from the campaign. "I didn't want anything I did to be a liability or an unwanted endorsement," said Fairey. "We had the unofficial wink and nod to do an image."

Fairey looked to Alberto Korda's famed shot of revolutionary Che Guevara (pictured) to create his red-white-and-blue print of Obama with the slogan "Progress." When the first edition of posters went on sale in January, the limited run sold out in minutes.

Schiller said he wasn't surprised the Obama posters were a runaway success.

"Shepard captures an energy in his work that is extremely powerful and unexpected," said Schiller. "When you apply it to a political campaign, the results are like magic. There's nothing like it."

After the success of the "Progress" print, Fairey says he was contacted by the Obama campaign to create an officially sanctioned poster in the same style -- only this time with a campaign-approved photo and slogan. The new artwork featured the now-famous "Hope" slogan.

"They said 'progress' sounded too Marxist," laughed Fairey, who estimated the profits from his Obama-themed merchandise topped out around $400,000. He says he donated the entire amount to the campaign.

"I have not kept one dime from the Obama [posters]," Fairey said. "I'm at a surplus; I've given the max amount to the campaign. Now we're just buying billboards and postering."

Fairey's transition from rogue street artist to art professional hasn't diminished his radical edge. He recently added an arrest to his already sizable rap sheet, this time for papering Denver with Obama- and Obey-themed stickers and fliers during the Democratic National Convention.

There's a unmistakable note of glee in his voice when he describes "bombing" -- or shimmying up drain pipes and scaffolding to illegally paste posters -- in nearly 40 public spots around San Francisco.

"When you walk down the street and see something in a crazy spot, there's something powerful about that," said Fairey. "The street will always be an important part of getting art out there for me."

If the first two decades of Fairey's career were dedicated to counterculture and skirting the boundaries of the mainstream art world, he's now riding the wave of success from his Obama posters into the next phase of his art.

"The whole concept of 'Obey' was getting people to question their obedience," said Fairey. "Now I'm trying to react to what's going on around me in a way that is constructive."

Fairey's exhibition, The Duality of Humanity, which runs through Oct. 4 at White Walls Gallery in downtown San Francisco, still deals in the pop culture ironies Fairey became known for with his earlier work.

The concept of the show draws from Stanley Kubrick's Vietnam War drama Full Metal Jacket and revisits John Carpenter's creature feature They Live (referenced in the original "Andre the Giant Has a Posse" stickers).

But there's a distinct message of hope and guarded optimism.

Fairey attributes the shift in focus -- newfound idealism and positivity -- to his experience working on the presidential posters.

"Plus, the positive works always sells better than the negative work," he kids before adding: "But seriously, the negative approach didn't work in 2004. It's time to try something different."

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
This sentence is from the bailout package Paulson wants pushed through as soon as possible.

Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I fucking swear...
My mutual funds are all the money I've ever saved and they have just fucking evaporated. They had just gotten back to above where they were after the last crash. It's the 'anvil parachute' effect, perfectly fitting with this administration's "Looney Tunes" doctrine.
where is your money exactly

GhaleonEB

Suffolk has Obama down one in Nevada, his best poll there in a while.

CNN has Obama up four nationally.

(both on pollster.com)

A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll suggests that by a 2-to-1 margin, Americans blame Republicans over Democrats for the financial crisis that has swept across the country the past few weeks — one factor that may have contributed to an apparent increase in Barack Obama’s edge over John McCain in the race for the White House.
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ans-blamed-obama-gains-over-financial-crisis/

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
While I agree it is important to focus on the election, be sure to take time away from all of this and spend some time assessing your own assets both financial and personal this week. Hard times are coming and I don't think many people are fully grasping what is going on.

Door2Dawn said:
CNN Poll: Obama: 51

McCain: 47

WASHINGTON (CNN) – A new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll suggests that by a 2-to-1 margin, Americans blame Republicans over Democrats for the financial crisis that has swept across the country the past few weeks — one factor that may have contributed to an apparent increase in Barack Obama’s edge over John McCain in the race for the White House.

In the new survey, released Monday afternoon, 47 percent of registered voters questioned say Republicans are more responsible for the problems currently facing financial institutions and the stock market, with 24 percent saying Democrats are more responsible. One in five of those polled blame both parties equally, and 8 percent say neither party is to blame.

The poll also indicates that more Americans think Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, would do a better job handling an economic crisis than McCain, the Republican presidential nominee. Forty-nine percent of those questioned say Obama would display good judgment in an economic crisis, 6 points higher than the number who said the same about McCain. And Obama has a 10 point lead over McCain on the question of who would better handle the economy overall.

These numbers appear to be affecting the battle for the presidency. Fifty-one percent of registered voters are backing Obama, who now holds a 5 point edge over McCain, at 46 percent. McCain and Obama were tied at 48 percent apiece in the previous CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey. Obama's advantage, while growing, is still within the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Where did Obama make his gains?

"In two core McCain constituencies: Men, who now narrowly favor Obama. And seniors, who have also flipped from McCain to Obama," says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider.

When including only those people most likely to vote, the results are pretty much the same: Among likely voters, Obama has a 4 point lead, 51 percent to 47 percent.[/B]

GhaleonEB

DenogginizerOS said:
While I agree it is important to focus on the election, be sure to take time away from all of this and spend some time assessing your own assets both financial and personal this week. Hard times are coming and I don't think many people are fully grasping what is going on.
We're trying to figure out what to do. I'm very well diversified, with funds in international markets, heavy emphasis on income funds, and in bonds. The problem is everything is tanking.

I'm probably just going to ride it out, as I did on 9/11. Except I'm better diversified now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom