• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
thekad said:
Okay, seems like a lot of stuff is going on. What's the big news? Any changes to the bailout bill?
Dodd and Co. are pushing for an equity stake in institutions peddling risky assets and more oversight while Bush and Paulson wants to pass TARP with zero strings attached and immunity from prosecution.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I don't think there's been a more depressing time to be an American (save for The Great Depression). We really are on the verge of an economic collapse. Whoever gets in is going to have it rough, because this whole country is in dire need of sweeping reform. I was really leaning towards voting for McCain, even defending him at times, but he just doesn't get it. That's becoming more and more clear to me as I hear him speak. He just doesn't get it.

Furthermore, I don't think I've ever been more embarassed to be a Republican. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to prep a noose and log in to my Fidelity account.

thekad

Banned
scorcho said:
Dodd and Co. are pushing for an equity stake in institutions peddling risky assets and more oversight while Bush and Paulson wants to pass TARP with zero strings attached and immunity from prosecution.

WTF is up with Paulson? I thought he was well liked. Now he sounds like Dick Cheney.

Chiggs said:
I don't think there's been a more depressing time to be an American (save for The Great Depression). We really are on the verge of an economic collapse. Whoever gets in is going to have it rough, because this whole country is in dire need of sweeping reform. I was really leaning towards voting for McCain, even defending him at times, but he just doesn't get it. That's becoming more and more clear to me as I hear him speak. He just doesn't get it.

Furthermore, I don't think I've ever been more embarassed to be a Republican. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to prep a noose and log in to my Fidelity account.

So, is that commitment to Bam Bam?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
artredis1980 said:
I think Obama realises that Hillary and Bill will never agressively surrogate for him so he knows that if he loses the election and its proven that a considerable minority of her supporters lost him the election, He will do everything in his power to not let Clinton come into power in 2012

the clintons have been here in florida.. and i seriously doubt that obama is vindictive like that.

GhaleonEB

This is a really telling exchange in that Politico article:

Asked about the series of errors, McCain aides could not provide evidence to back up Schmidt’s assertions.

One McCain aide, Michael Goldfarb, said Politico was “quibbling with ridiculously small details when the basic things are completely right.”

Another, Brian Rogers, responded more directly:

“You are in the tank,” he e-mailed.
Challenged to back up their (false) accusations, they resort to calling Politico (of all places) "in the tank" for Obama. I have a feeling directly attacking the media so directly won't win them over.

where is your money exactly
It's a Schwab spread mutual package, 'fairly' low risk. I seriously lost half of it last time, I need to talk to someone and figure out what to do. I can't see the immediate implication the last week to my money, but I'm freaking out based what happened before :/

Chiggs

Gold Member
ryutaro's mama said:
So, is that commitment to Bam Bam?

Yeah, it is. I just can't imagine McCain doing much good at this point. He's too damn old. I would have loved for him to have won it in 2000, but now...pffft.

thekad

Banned
http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2248159520080922

It looks like Paulson has backed off a little...

WASHINGTON, Sept 22 (Reuters) - The Bush administration has accepted changes to its $700 billion Wall Street bailout plan that would give the government a stake in institutions unloading assets under the plan, the chairman of the House of Representatives Financial Services Committee said on Monday.

The administration also has agreed that the plan should include more efforts to prevent home foreclosures and that an oversight board should be created to monitor the bailout, said Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Barney Frank.

edit: Welcome to the dark side, Chiggs.

scorcho

Nope - the Administration released word that Frank's talkin' nonsense and said that equity and oversight are not on the table, or something like that.

thekad

Banned
scorcho said:
Nope - the Administration released word that Frank's talkin' nonsense and said that equity and oversight are not on the table, or something like that.

Fuck. Me.

Nothing is going to get solved.

GhaleonEB

scorcho said:
That sums up the administration over the past eight years, in a nut shell.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Republicans trying to blame the financial failure on the democrats. Sigh.

His governor? They are using his governor?

Well, shit, Bush is President of the Republican United States.

This is in response to the McCain ads. Jesus, this thread...

scorcho

reilo said:
Republicans trying to blame the financial failure on the democrats. Sigh.
Saw it first in the economic meltdown thread and then heard it parroted by Republican talkingheads on CNN - it's the idea that subprime loans themselves caused this, and that Freddie and Fannie were the prime agents in this, which is flat out wrong.

The preponderance of sub-prime and Alt-A loans were indicative of financial institutions that created 'innovations' (aka: shit) which effectively removed any relationship between a lender and its debt and making the entire industry risk-seeking.

artredis1980 said:
Obama should start attacking the Bush admin and linking him to mcCain saying we dont want 4 more years of this,
Maybe. But such a reinvention of his campaign theme would require far too much effort, since that is not at all what he's doing out there right now.

Shins

Banned
Does someone have that e-mail one GAFFer compiled that hit on all the key points, graphs, and that wonderful fiscal conservative cartoon?

My dad is the sole Obama supporter where he works, and wanted to take in a little ammo tomorrow to combat the usual talking points.

Steve Youngblood said:
Maybe. But such a reinvention of his campaign theme would require far too much effort, since that is not at all what he's doing out there right now.

i meant when itcomes to the financial lockdown with dems in congress

AIG Ex-CEO refuses $22 million golden parachute

American International Group Inc's (NYSE:AIG - News) former Chief Executive Robert Willumstad has rejected a $22 million severance payment, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a person familiar with the decision.

Willumstad e-mailed his successor, Edward Liddy, of his decision to forego the severance since he was not able to execute the restructuring plan he had developed, the paper said.

The newspaper also reported major shareholders concerned about the government takeover were planning to meet on Monday to discuss alternatives to the federal bailout, citing a person familiar with the matter.

AIG and Robert Willumstad could not be immediately reached for comment.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080922/financial_aig_willumstad.html?.v=2

50.jpg

scorcho said:
Just talked to my friend who's working on the GOTV/registration drive effort in VA - he said they knocked on close to 50,000 doors this weekend alone.

Things are looking hopeful.

For the first time, I'm starting to think Virginia is possible. That 3 point lead gets even bigger when you look at registered voters.

Registered Voters VA:
Obama 50, McCain 44

NewLib

Banned
artredis1980 said:

He is actually not a bad dude. AIG flourished under his leadership. Unfortunately, when he backed off he left it in shitty hands. Then when he tried to come back and save the company, the board fought him every step of the way.

Edit: Nevermind, I got him confused with Greenberg. Anyway still a classy move.

Fatalah

Electoral-vote.com and Princeton's page aren't as lopsided as 538. I feel most confident when the 3 of them are in congruence with each other. What the dillio.

Guy Legend

Was driving and saw a "stop obama express" bumper sticker in front of me, with "hannity.com" written underneath. Is it wrong that I wanted run that mother fucker off the road....:D

scorcho

Fatalah said:
Electoral-vote.com and Princeton's page aren't as lopsided as 538. I feel most confident when the 3 of them are in congruence with each other. What the dillio.
doesn't 538 split the EV by percentage and not as winner-take-all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom