• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Frag's totally right. Newt won a couple of straw polls really early into this campaign before announcing that he wouldn't run.

On the other hand he's only "smart" if you're setting the bar at median Republican officeholder. He's full of dumb ideas (remember the gas tax holiday?) and his politics were the same brand of honkey ressentiment that's carried the GOP from Nixon to Dubya.

A Republican party that rallied around Gingrich would be still be crushed under the same demographic millstone as the current version.

I missed this Bill Mitchell cartoon. Its so good, I had to post it. :lol

19a.gif

Cloudy

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
I get the impression that either Bush doesn't care what happens, or he's trying to stay out of the press in order to keep the public from getting pitchforks and torches and hunting down GOP congressmen.

Yah it's to help McCain but it doesn't look good AT ALL. That said, I don't know how a candidate for president can go 40 days w/o talking to reporters and get away with it. WTF happened to the media in this country?

Fragamemnon said:
-the failure of Bush to show any demonstrable leadership in this economic crisis.

On the contrary . . . if Bush were out there giving more press conferences, I think that would help Obama as people would be reminded as to the GOP incompetence. :lol

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Fragamemnon said:
Here's something that no one is really talking about, but is definitely out there, from what I can see-the failure of Bush to show any demonstrable leadership in this economic crisis and Paulson's naked money grab could result in a second wave election in the congressional races. We don't have too much polling yet to back this up, but if this thing really does drag out any GOP incumbent with a credible challenger could be in huge trouble.

If this whole thing happened right before a midterm the slaughter of the sitting president's party in Congress would be nothing short of historic.

Bush came right out and said in an interview last year that he realizes people don't trust him on Iraq anymore, so he was going to let Petraeus become the public face of the war and make the case for him.

I suspect he's doing the same thing with Paulson. Let the new face not tied into the worst of his administration's blunders become the spokesperson for the president's policy rather than the president himself.

On the second point, it looks like Republicans in Congress are already skittish about the plan. Bush, Rove, and the Congressional leadership didn't get their ducks in a row before trotting this out. That's good for stopping the plan but bad for hanging it around the GOP's neck.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Cloudy said:
Yah it's to help McCain but it doesn't look good AT ALL. That said, I don't know how a candidate for president can go 40 days w/o talking to reporters and get away with it. WTF happened to the media in this country?

The media is nothing more than a massive exchange of information, the idea that there has to be quality without bias is insane considering the situation. How can you have a media when basically one ideology owns it, not talking republic rather corporate. Do you expect a good media in a country when real issues are drowned for the sake of entertainment and profit? Don't be delusional the media does not care what people think outside of ratings for advertisement! There are few exceptions but it does not excuse the whole.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cloudy said:

This is exactly what I thought when I heard about their attempt at a $700 billion money grab with no strings attached. I really hope this shit doesn't get passed through Congress. How can the American public believe that these wizards, whose policies are a large part of what causes this crisis, have suddenly figured out a way to fix everything and all they need is $700 billion? It is completely ridiculous if you ask me and I hope other people feel outraged.

Mandark said:
I suspect he's doing the same thing with Paulson. Let the new face not tied into the worst of his administration's blunders become the spokesperson for the president's policy rather than the president himself.

That works in Iraq because, as bad as Iraq is, it's not a huge issue for day to day Americans to worry about-the GOP made sure of that when they went down a road of avoiding any sense of shared sacrifice in that war effort.

Now if this really is financial armageddon, 1929-back-again, then I'd think that the President could at least talk to the American people and explain why we have to do what he and his administration want to do. Right now it seems like he picked the Hanky Panky plan and told Paulson that he didn't want to deal with it.

The whole thing reminds me, more than anything, of the immediate aftermath of Katrina (though there is some bias there-my hometown is New Orleans, and I still quite literally weep for the city from time to time). Bush does nothing, doesn't care, and shows no leadership in the face of clear calamity.

On the second point, it looks like Republicans in Congress are already skittish about the plan. Bush, Rove, and the Congressional leadership didn't get their ducks in a row before trotting this out. That's good for stopping the plan but bad for hanging it around the GOP's neck.

Right now we're going to get an extremely limited bailout with some bipartisan provisions. It'll be interesting to see just how many banks line up actually looking for a bailout that isn't no strings attached.

GhaleonEB

ronito said:
And, of course: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/us/politics/24davis.html?hp

They said they did not recall Mr. Davis’s doing much substantive work for the company in return for the money, other than to speak to a political action committee of high-ranking employees in October 2006 on the approaching midterm Congressional elections. They said Mr. Davis’s firm, Davis Manafort, had been kept on the payroll because of his close ties to Mr. McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, who by 2006 was widely expected to run again for the White House.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Fragamemnon said:
The whole thing reminds me, more than anything, of the immediate aftermath of Katrina (though there is some bias there-my hometown is New Orleans, and I still quite literally weep for the city from time to time). Bush does nothing, doesn't care, and shows no leadership in the face of clear calamity.

Like Katrina, this is the sort of government intervention that Bush grudgingly concedes is necessary: the kind that helps out people in personal crises due to forces beyond their control.

He's a lot more animated The War On Terror aka The Defining Struggle Of Our Generation aka World War IV, which he apparently sees as The Only Chance To Salvage His Legacy.

That said, I still think he's internalized the fact of his own staggering unpopularity and that's why he's letting Paulson get all the camera time. I'm glad he knows people hate him. I just wish he realized they're right.

index01.jpg

I can understand why some people don't like him. However these segments don't allow for serious discussions. If you have to fight a fire send a firefighter.

MaddenNFL64

RobotChant said:
index01.jpg

I can understand why some people don't like him. However these segments don't allow for serious discussions. If you have to fight a fire send a firefighter.

*nods*

Froot Loops, Cracker Jacks, and McCain plan on 3x5 inch card. Play the game.

Ponn

Banned
lawblob said:
The CNN front page pic is amazing. This woman gets more and more unpopular with every passing day.

Good, the bullshit free ride/victim card she has been getting needs to fucking end right now. She's running to be second in command of our country and she won't answer questions, hides everything and is not allowed by her handlers to be around media? That is such blatant obvious bullshit.

Diablos

Cloudy said:
jeremiah-wright-404_667751c.jpg

You know it's coming..
Well, his book is.
And an onslaught of Rev. Wright commercials by the McCain campaign in the fall, I would think.

So troopergate is confidential now? Fuck that.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
:lol

I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.

I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.

I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.

This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.

Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to wallstreetbailout@treasury.gov so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.

Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury Paulson

Ponn

Banned
capslock said:

What makes that sad is that pretty much is what he is going to congress with. And they seem to be buying it, with our tax money. That they don't even have. So they will be taking out a loan with China. On our behalf.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I got this in an email late last night from the Obama campaign:

Please sign on to show your support for an economic recovery plan based on the following:

• No Golden Parachutes -- Taxpayer dollars should not be used to reward the irresponsible Wall Street executives who helmed this disaster.

• Main Street, Not Just Wall Street -- Any bailout plan must include a payback strategy for taxpayers who are footing the bill and aid to innocent homeowners who are facing foreclosure.

• Bipartisan Oversight -- The staggering amount of taxpayer money involved demands a bipartisan board to ensure accountability and oversight.
Show your support and encourage your friends and family to join you:

http://my.barackobama.com/ourplan

*applauds*

so_awes

Banned
Diablos said:
Well, his book is.
And an onslaught of Rev. Wright commercials by the McCain campaign in the fall, I would think.

So troopergate is confidential now? Fuck that.
i thought he's not releasing the book until after the election? there was a link on here about that....

but i don't know if that's true, what's the point? one would release it now to get the most exposure and that equals money. i hope Wright doesn't hate Obama or anything like that to do so. :/

Branduil

eclipze said:
I know i'm lttp on the whole abortion thing since i just got home from work, but this argument is fucking rediculous.

Abortion is not an issue. It should never be an issue. Ever

Anyone who has had a little CQI (continuous quality improvement) experience knows that it directly applies to abortions. What all these Pro-Lifer's are trying to do is manage the outputs (abortion) while absolutely ignoring the inputs (education, safe sex, contraceptives etc). Why are we trying to manage the end result of abortion when we should be focusing on the cause of it? It's like that stupid fish story (for all of those who've heard it) of where the quality of the water supply is nasty because there are dead fish in a lake that leads to it. The city (pro-lifers) try to fix the issue by hiring people to pick out the fish (ban abortion) when the real issue lies in why the water is so bad. If you look far enough, you see a business dumping their waste (lack of education, unsafe sex, no contraceptives) in the river that leads to the supply.

This shit isn't rocket science. Manage the inputs to control the outputs. We should want to reduce the amount of abortions and make it a non-issue. Lets get our education and health care system up to par with the rest of the world. Lets start making a difference in the inner cities. Lets have the government focus on those issues instead of a stupid fucking wedge issue like abortion that doesn't even fucking matter.
You just don't get it. I don't know what else I can say, because I've explained it a million times. I consider abortion the taking of an innocent human life. It doesn't matter if banning it doesn't make it totally go away(not that banning it would exclude those other things you mentioned), murder should never be implicitly approved of by the government.

Telling me we should allow murder because it's practical is the worst argument I've ever heard.
NetMapel said:
In the end, anti-abortionists (I refuse to call them "pro-life" because they're not "pro-life" at all) cannot stand that people disagree with their opinions. It is therefore their fucking God given right to make sure everybody behaves in all holy manners like themselves. *ROLL EYES*
It looks like we're not the only ones who can't stand people who disagree with them.

Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant.Abortion is unimportant. Abortion is unimportant.

I am a fucking bisexual and I could say the same thing about gay rights. In fact I will! Gay rights are unimportant. Gay rights are unimportantGay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant Gay rights are unimportant

Stop fucking arguing about things which have always been and will always be on the back burner of important things to the future of the United States.

What is important is how we move forward as a country in a progressive manner which generates ideas and a better economy that stands up to the test of crazy governments such as Russia, China, and others. Our culture does not define us, our ideas, principles and protections do. Whether or not someone should terminate a conceived child and whether or not someone should be able to marry the same gender have very little absolute effect on anything!

So please. Stop. Fucking. Arguing. About. Something. For which. We. Will never. Have. An answer. That Satisfies. Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom