• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

so_awes

Banned
Tanned Greyface said:
palinlipwidewebbm4.jpg

Does anybody know where this was taken?
:lol :lol ok guys, please know that a lot of people are at work reading this thread. If you're going to 'shop the pic, make it work safe.

thanks.

Cheebs said:
I had to make this my avatar, it is so amazing.

Edit the picture so Palin is closer to Joe, it'd look like 100x better. You can do a shitty job at it and when you downscale it the aliasing will remove all artifacts of photochopping.

so_awes

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/u...gin&adxnnlx=1222260568-HG+5D4lDgS/fqWUpGircaQ

In Mr. Obama’s case, the messages have frequently sought to paint him as foreign, like the chain e-mail messages sent for months to Jewish areas of Florida, suburban Philadelphia and other swing states that portray Mr. Obama as Muslim (he is Christian). This week, a hate group calling itself the League of American Patriots distributed fliers to as many as 50 homes in Roxbury, a mostly white town in northern New Jersey, portraying Mr. Obama as Osama Bin Laden and including language that was derisive of black people.

terrible and sad :(

Cheebs

RiskyChris said:
Edit the picture so Palin is closer to Joe, it'd look like 100x better. You can do a shitty job at it and when you downscale it the aliasing will remove all artifacts of photochopping.
I will do a better one when I get home. I just did this very quick one cause I knew someone else would take it if I didn't make one up quickly lol

Barrett2

so_awes said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/24/u...gin&adxnnlx=1222260568-HG+5D4lDgS/fqWUpGircaQ

Quote:
In Mr. Obama’s case, the messages have frequently sought to paint him as foreign, like the chain e-mail messages sent for months to Jewish areas of Florida, suburban Philadelphia and other swing states that portray Mr. Obama as Muslim (he is Christian). This week, a hate group calling itself the League of American Patriots distributed fliers to as many as 50 homes in Roxbury, a mostly white town in northern New Jersey, portraying Mr. Obama as Osama Bin Laden and including language that was derisive of black people.

terrible and sad :(

America... Fuck Yeah!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Krowley said:
Ron Paul's take on this bailout (paraphrased): This whole thing was caused by lowering interest rates (aka interference with the free market) which caused real estate developers to overbuild. The housing crisis is just supply + demand in action, and the repercussions are the natural result of such an adjustment. Any kind of bailout will only distort the market further and create a bigger crisis in the future, as well as crossing a dangerous line. The best thing to do is let everything go to hell and get it over with quickly, otherwise it will just be a slow bleed for 20 years or so, with new bubbles constantly bursting and a shredded dollar as our economy slowly drifts into further ruin. The only people being helped by this bailout are people connected to the real estate industry, because it will help them keep prices over inflated. Regular folks will be screwed because houses will remain too expensive, until it all comes around again

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/Paul.bailout/index.html

I'm not sure how the dems will feel about this view. I know they generally don't agree with Ron Paul, but I think he makes a lot of sense on this. I'm not sure what will happen in the short term if nobody acts, but I have serious doubts about this whole proposal.

I'd just like to say that Ron Paul could be right here. Keeping housing prices high isn't the answer. The prices need to fall because most people can't afford them.

This bailout might screw up the natural progression of the market to lower house prices.

gkryhewy

mckmas8808 said:
I'd just like to say that Ron Paul could be right here. Keeping housing prices high isn't the answer. The prices need to fall because most people can't afford them.

This bailout might screw up the natural progression of the market to lower house prices.

Agreed. In much of the country, home prices are still completely out-of-whack with incomes and rents.

People stretching with goofy mortgages had sort-of a feedback loop with values getting out of control - the higher the values, the more stretching, the higher the values.

On the other hand, I don't think any bailout is going to be able to prevent the housing devaluation already in progress. This is Japan's 10/15-year devaluation all over again.

Post+Japan%27s+Housing+Bubble.GIF

http://www.theonion.com/content/point/point_counterpoint_gov_palin_has?utm_source=onion_rss_daily

Sarah Palin said:
Shhhh!

Could you please stop tearing apart my record so loudly? I just put my special needs child down for a nap. You remember my poor, Down syndrome baby, don't you? The developmentally disabled child I carried to term despite knowing that he had special needs? The child who would be helpless without my constant care and attention? Well, he's just nodded off, and if you continue to provide such damning evidence of my inexperience in both foreign and domestic policy, you'll wake him.

You wouldn't want him to start crying, would you?

It's very rude of you to keep pointing out the myriad reasons I am unfit to be the governor of Alaska, much less vice president of the United States of America, when you know my Down syndrome–afflicted son is trying to get some much-needed rest. If you wanted to question my qualifications as a leader, you should have thought of that sooner, like, say, before I gave birth to a retarded child who would probably starve to death if I weren't so selflessly and courageously dedicated to him.

gkryhewy

syllogism said:

That is VERY interesting. I was wondering what the hell was going on with Intrade.

It's pretty obvious that this is not some sort of random walk. Rather, every so often, some individual trader or some small group of traders are shorting all the Obama contacts in bulk and resetting the entire market. The markets then organically climb back upward until the rogue trader strikes again six or eight hours later. The volumes on these contracts have been very high for the past week as a result.

Most likely, this is just some idiot degenerate gambler who is trying to have some fun. Between the Obama and McCain contracts, there appears to be about $400,000 in contracts changing hands every day, which is a lot by Main Street standards, but minuscule by either Vegas or Wall Street Standards.

What's a little weird, however, is that this rouge trader is not only selling Obama contracts and buying McCain contracts .... they also seem to be buying Hillary Clinton contracts:

Also, lol Rouge Squadron.

Rur0ni

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows Barack Obama attracting 49% of the vote while John McCain earns 47%. It’s the first time in more than two weeks that Obama has enjoyed a lead larger than a single percentage point

Obama +2 in Rasmussen.

Cheebs

Rasmussen

Obama +2

(was tied yesterday).

Looking at this and the ABC number....Obama must have had a good polling day yesterday.

This is getting absurd:

One thing is certain: McCain’s tenure is not as simple to encapsulate as McCain’s economic adviser, Douglas Holtz-Eakin, tried to make it seem last week, when he held up a BlackBerry and credited its invention to McCain’s work on the committee. In fact, McCain voted against key legislation that paved the device’s way.

Via Politico

PhatSaqs said:
Stimulus checks? :lol

Not really because we didn't have the budget for them anyways and, in the end, we're still here at this point now.

It was basically like trying to protect your house from oncoming forest fires by using wet towels. It'll work for a while, but once the towels dry from the heat of the fire, they'll catch and fuel the fire.

Ponn

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
What is one undeniably positive thing for the American taxpayer public that has come out of the Bush administration?

A whole bunch of jokes and great episodes of The Daily Show.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Cheebs said:
Rasmussen

Obama +2

(was tied yesterday).

Looking at this and the ABC number....Obama must have had a good polling day yesterday.

Look at the real polls, not the tracking polls.

Chuck Godd pretty much said on morning Joe that their poll backs ABC.

Clipjoint

CharlieDigital said:
What is one undeniably positive thing for the American taxpayer public that has come out of the Bush administration?
They've done some really great work fighting AIDS in Africa. That's the one positive I can think of.

Clipjoint said:
They've done some really great work fighting AIDS in Africa. That's the one positive I can think of.

Right -- I'll give him credit for that; he really doesn't get enough for the work he did in Africa, but I'm asking in terms of the American taxpayer public. What positive things has he done for the people who voted him into office?

I'm trying to get to the root of why some people still want to vote Republican; it seems like to many people, the last 8 years never happened. I'm trying to figure out what possible reason average Joe American could use to defend Bush's tenure.

GhaleonEB

Rur0ni said:
Rasmussen will have New Hampshire and Colorado polls today. Excellent.

NBC/Mason-Dixon has McCain +3 in Virginia.
MD has a pretty strong republican lean historically, so that's good news.

Look forward to the NH and CO polls.

Clipjoint

CharlieDigital said:
Right -- I'll give him credit for that; he really doesn't get enough for the work he did in Africa, but I'm asking in terms of the American taxpayer public. What positive things has he done for the people who voted him into office?

I'm trying to get to the root of why some people still want to vote Republican; it seems like to many people, the last 8 years never happened. I'm trying to figure out what possible reason average Joe American could use to defend Bush's tenure.
Average Joe American votes against his interests because of the 3 G's - God, guns, and gays. Throw in some abortion and patriotism, and you have the Republicans (party of the rich) brainwashing the poor into voting them in office over and over again, to their own detriment.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Clipjoint said:
Average Joe American votes against his interests because of the 3 G's - God, guns, and gays. Throw in some abortion and patriotism, and you have the Republicans (party of the rich) brainwashing the poor into voting them in office over and over again, to their own detriment.

The republican party built it that way, really it's a few elite suckering the sheep for whatever they want leaving everyone else to pick up the tab.

GhaleonEB

StoOgE said:
Look at the real polls, not the tracking polls.

Chuck Godd pretty much said on morning Joe that their poll backs ABC.
Ohhh, I didn't realize WSJ/NBC was doing another one before the debates. From First Read:

The latest NBC/Wall Street Journal comes out tonight at 6:30 pm ET.
Their last one has Obama up only one point, right after the Republican convention. If Obama opened up his lead to six or so - what it was in June and July - McCain should be very worried. The NBC/WSJ poll is very respected.

syllogism said:
To be fair, Obama campaign doesn't think they are up by 9% either
The Obama camp seems to be running a strategy ignoring the national polls, as they should. I just get a kick out of the McCain camp being on the defensive all day, first with their non-denial of the Times' story, and now running damage control on polls.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm still pissed about the bailout. Couldn't that money have been used to aid the consumers instead? For example, pay down the consumer's debts with that 700 billion. So the banks still get the money, but the consumers get some relief as well. Bailing out the companies while the consumers are still on the hook (and even moreso now) is insane imo.

GrapeApes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx7GU3RiEPo

Looks like Wright commercials were already running.

It's unclear how long the ad has been running, and how big the buy is, but The New York Times reports this morning that the spot is running in Macomb County, Michigan, a stronghold of white, unionized auto workers -- the latest in a wave of very targeted advertising by outside groups that appear to have been set up for the sole purpose of sliming Obama in one way or another.

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/right_wing_group_running_ad_in.php

gkryhewy

VanMardigan said:
I'm still pissed about the bailout. Couldn't that money have been used to aid the consumers instead? For example, pay down the consumer's debts with that 700 billion. So the banks still get the money, but the consumers get some relief as well. Bailing out the companies while the consumers are still on the hook (and even moreso now) is insane imo.

Not fair to the consumers who aren't retardedly in debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom