• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg rite said:
So Hannity just said that he read in some news articles that there is a "McCain/Palin Mania" in that women want to be like her. "Girls with glasses want her glasses, women want to dress like her."

So that is not sexist . . . but vetting her is?

AniHawk said:
Well wasn't McCain the one who said she made a profit? Because if you want a lie, there it is.

Well, I'm sure he was just repeating what she told him the one time he spoke to her on the phone. Old people tend to be really easy prey for telemarketers...

gkryhewy

GhaleonEB said:
He said she sold it on eBay, and made a profit. Two lies, via puffing up the original story. Palin was careful to say she "put it on eBay", which is true.

Y'know, could be that McCain took her original claim at face value and made the same inferences the Average Joe would make. He does seem a little manipulated in his dotage - might not realize quite the sort of viper he has in Palin.

omg rite said:
So Hannity just said that he read in some news articles that there is a "McCain/Palin Mania" in that women want to be like her. "Girls with glasses want her glasses, women want to dress like her."

i'm pretty sure sean hannity eats a sheet of acid every morning. i don't see where else he'd get his worldview from.

gkrykewy said:
Y'know, could be that McCain took her original claim at face value and made the same inferences the Average Joe would make. He does seem a little manipulated in his dotage - might not realize quite the sort of viper he has in Palin.
Yeah, but the "For a profit" was pure ad-lib lying.

Touchdown

Banned
omg rite said:
Jesus FUCKING Christ, Fox News.

080828_cartoon_600.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't think McCain was lying about the eBay story, because that implies he knew the facts. Given how Palin was "vetted", I doubt anybody in his campaign knew the facts besides Palin.

Seems like to me that McCain just made an assumption when she said "put it" on eBay. Most people would probably assume that the plane would have been sold had it been "put" on eBay.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
omg rite said:

Could someone PLEASE link me to ONE story about that?

and thats not cult-like???!! :lol

Hey, fellas. I'm still catching up on the thread, I'm on page 26.

Regardless, I just got this from a friend. Now, I suspect it's bullshit, but I dunno how to disprove it since the link provided is busted.

Can PoliGAF lend a political neophyte a hand, and help me debunk this? I'm just went through all the bookmarks I have (I save a lot of pages/posts from these threads) but I have nothing that directly counters these claims. I really want to shut the people who posted this on Facebook up.

So, guys and gals, a helping hand?

Conversative Note said:
All of the promises Nobama makes have to be paid for somehow, someway. Here's a few issues to think about when it comes time to vote in November ....

A few points to remember and consider: You can verify the tax information at http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/e...08/index..html, if you'd like.

(INTERESTING DATA JUST RECEIVED ON TAXES & PROPOSED CHANGES IN TAXES AFTER 2008 GENERAL ELECTION.)

Time to consider your pocketbook:

CAPITAL GAINS TAX

MCCAIN:
0% on home sales up to $500,000 per home (couples). McCain does not propose any change in existing home sales income tax.

OBAMA:
28% on profit from ALL home sales

How does this affect you?

If you sell your home and make a profit, you will pay 28% of your gain on taxes. If you are heading toward retirement and would like to down-size your home or move into a retirement community, 28% of the money you make from your home will go to taxes. This proposal will adversely affect the elderly who are counting on the income from their homes as part of their retirement income.

DIVIDEND TAX

MCCAIN : 15% (no change)

OBAMA : 39.6%

How will this affect you?

If you have any money invested in stock market, IRA, mutual funds, college funds, life insurance, retirement accounts, or anything that pays or reinvests dividends, you will now be paying nearly 40% of the money earned on taxes if Obama becomes president. The experts predict that 'Higher tax rates on dividends and capital gains would crash the stock market, yet do absolutely nothing to cut the deficit.'

INCOME TAX (find your bracket)

MCCAIN (no changes)

Single making 30K - tax $4,500
Single making 50K - tax $12,500
Single making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 60K- tax $9,000
Married making 75K - tax $18,750
Married making 125K - tax $31,250

OBAMA (reverse all tax cuts)

Single making 30K - tax $8,400
Single making 50K - tax $14,000
Single making 75K - tax $23,250
Married making 60K - tax $16,800
Married making 75K - tax $21,000
Married making 125K - tax $38,750

Under Obama, your taxes will more than double!

How does this affect you? No explanation needed. This is pretty straight
forward.

INHERITANCE TAX

MCCAIN 0% (No change, Bush repealed this tax)

OBAMA Restore the inheritance tax

How does this affect you?

Many families have lost businesses, farms, ranches, and homes that have been in their families for generations because they could not afford the inheritance tax. Those willing their assets to loved ones will only lose them to these taxes.

NEW TAXES BEING PROPOSED BY OBAMA

New government taxes proposed on homes that are more than 2400 square feet.

New gasoline taxes (as if gas weren't high enough already)

New taxes on natural resources consumption (heating gas, water, electricity)

New taxes on retirement accounts, and last but not least....

New taxes to pay for socialized medicine so we can receive the same level of medical care as other third-world countries!!!

THE FOREGOING IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF. . . IT SHOULD MAKE YOU THINK BEFORE YOU CAST YOUR VOTE IN NOVEMBER. IF YOU DON'T OWN ANYTHING NOW, CHANCES ARE YOU NEVER WILL BECAUSE TAXES ARE GOING TO GET IT ALL.

Tamanon

Banned
omg rite said:

Could someone PLEASE link me to ONE story about that?

Obviously being a celebrity is AWESOME now.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/149016.php

This is the story from Cameron about John Kerry:

Is Fox News literally making stuff up out of whole cloth about John Kerry?

I don't expect much from this Republican operation. But this does seem to break new ground.

If you go to the front page of the Fox News site, there's a link right there up front to "Trail Tales: What's that Face".

Link through and you find this ...

Rallying supporters in Tampa Friday, Kerry played up his performance in Thursday night's debate, in which many observers agreed the Massachusetts senator outperformed the president.

"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" Kerry said Friday.

With the foreign-policy debate in the history books, Kerry hopes to keep the pressure on and the sense of traction going.

Aides say he will step up attacks on the president in the next few days, and pivot somewhat to the domestic agenda, with a focus on women and abortion rights.

"It's about the Supreme Court. Women should like me! I do manicures," Kerry said.

Kerry still trails in actual horse-race polls, but aides say his performance was strong enough to rally his base and further appeal to voters ready for a change.

"I'm metrosexual — he's a cowboy," the Democratic candidate said of himself and his opponent.

A "metrosexual" is defined as an urbane male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.

Did Kerry really say that stuff? Stuff that sounds like classic winger parody? I looked around on google and no other reporters seem to have gotten those choice quotes from Senator Kerry. A source on the Kerry campaign told me Kerry certainly didn't say anything remotely like that.

So what's the story from Fox? Are these quotes real? Made up? Unidentified parody? Straight-up fabrications?

Should have been fired outright, if not sued for libel.

GhaleonEB

FlightOfHeaven said:

Regardless, I just got this from a friend. Now, I suspect it's bullshit, but I dunno how to disprove it since the link provided is busted.

Can PoliGAF lend a political neophyte a hand, and help me debunk this? I'm just went through all the bookmarks I have (I save a lot of pages/posts from these threads) but I have nothing that directly counters these claims. I really want to shut the people who posted this on Facebook up.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/taxes.asp

AniHawk

FlightOfHeaven said:

I suggest hitting him in the head with a blunt object over and over. Just be careful not to damage the blunt object.

EDIT: or the snopes link above too. Whatever works for you.

Tamanon

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

It's pretty much a big pile of bullshit, Obama is only rolling back the tax cuts on the waaaaay upper incomes, and lowering the lower and middle class ones. He's not making any new taxes either.

besada

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

Your friend's a retard and you should learn how to use Google.

Macam

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I received a chain mail that said Obama is against justices that interpret the law, and will make its own laws. Yes, I know it's false, but I'd like some information on his position.

It's patently false and little more than a red herring issue to rile up the conservative base. He doesn't have a position on the issue because, again, it's in the job description. All Supreme Court justices interpret the law as they see fit so there's no explicit information on Obama's position on the matter.

It would be like trying to find information on Obama's position on a president's ability to dismiss Congress and install his/her own hand appointed puppets to office. There's no such authority or explicit power to do so, so you can't debunk things that are made up. What you can debunk, however, is whatever garbage is being alleged in the e-mail -- perhaps by simply reminding whomever sent the e-mail about exactly the court itself does and how it operates.

Pakkidis

Nobody in their right minds believe Fox News do they?

As for Oreilly, he is a sensationalist, he's the kid in the class who eats the glue to get attention.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
bishoptl said:
I'm a little late, but it had to be said - you are dumb as a stump if you think you can just dissemble like that and skulk off.

(neutral) ComputerNerd
Banned
(Yesterday, 07:59 PM)
Reply | Quote

Justice outta nowhere :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Probably old news.

The McCain and Obama campaigns have announced that the candidates have stopped fighting over who gets the shameless photo op, and have decided to get the shameless photo op together. Putting aside differences to unite in one shameless display of solidarity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26575396/

WASHINGTON - Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama said Saturday they will put aside partisan politics for a joint appearance at Ground Zero to mark the seventh anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Cloudy

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:

Go to barackobama.com. All his policies are on there..

bishoptl said:
I'm a little late, but it had to be said - you are dumb as a stump if you think you can just dissemble like that and skulk off.

oh man ... hope the banned message says "please wait for the postal service to deliver your unban notice"
:lol

FlightOfHeaven said:
Thanks GAF, you never fail me.

Just owned this person.

Also, uh, I'll take the initiative from now on, and use Google. Whenever I get stuck, though...

I bookemarked it so that I can dish it out when necessary.

Saint Gregory said:
Well that guy also chose poorly so I guess there's a connection...

I use this quote all the time. When I go out to eat, and the food isn't great, somebody will ask "how is your food?" and i reply "I chose... poorly."

Which, that reference right there makes you my favorite gaffer ever.

So yeah, this is going to be a tough one for Obama. He can do it, he and his campaign have proven themselves to have gotten this far.

I really thought this Palin pick would be much more of a disaster. And while I'm sure the more discernable among us are, indeed, baffled and disappointed, Palin has been able to energize the conservative base, God knows why.

I work part-time at a restaurant, and its employees and customers, by and large, are conservatives. My anecdotal experience is in now way indicative of the country, but they talk about Palin quite often, and I have to try so hard to keep silent.

vas_a_morir said:
I use this quote all the time. When I go out to eat, and the food isn't great, somebody will ask "how is your food?" and i reply "I chose... poorly."

You should have seen BobFromPikeCreek and my "TOP.MEN" reference in the Spore thread.

(Also, I totally reference the chose poorly bit all the damn time too). I'm a teacher and so it comes up kind of a lot in the classroom!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TheGrayGhost said:
Palin has been able to energize the conservative base, God knows why.

Rove has a very short playbook. Energize the base. Attack on strengths. Both are getting pretty dog eared. The Churches have too much control and not enough members. The base, including that church, is nowhere near big enough to win the election for them. Without the swing and undecideds, they can't energize shit. And Obama's strengths - intelligence and agility - are probably appealing to more people this time around. Eight years of stupid didn't get us anywhere.

I am crossing my fingers that racists are too lazy and stupid to vote.

TheGrayGhost said:
So yeah, this is going to be a tough one for Obama. He can do it, he and his campaign have proven themselves to have gotten this far.

I really thought this Palin pick would be much more of a disaster. And while I'm sure the more discernable among us are, indeed, baffled and disappointed, Palin has been able to energize the conservative base, God knows why.

I work part-time at a restaurant, and its employees and customers, by and large, are conservatives. My anecdotal experience is in now way indicative of the country, but they talk about Palin quite often, and I have to try so hard to keep silent.

Palin is a terrible pick. The GOP just spins everything (bordering on nonsensical) and the press simply goes along with it. You have to give the GOP props though. They can effectively target the idiot voters and when they go out spewing GOP propaganda no one is more organized. Obama's camp may win the ground game but the GOP has the cable news channels on lock.

mj1108

TheGrayGhost said:

Palin HAS been a disaster. The GOP and the conservative base just ignores it and spins it. God only knows how much the GOP would jump all over Obama if he picked a VP that he "kept in a box" and wouldn't let any reporters interview. They would sit there and scream "inexperience" so loud it would probably pop eardrums from coast to coast.

TheGrayGhost said:

There's another site I visit which is virtually completely conservative sans maybe a small number of us you can count on one hand. I try and try to make my points about Obama and such but it just goes over their head. They are excited about Palin, just like they are about McCain.....for no reason that has to do with any issues. It's all trivial things that in the end won't save them any money, won't affect the economy and certainly won't get them any better health care..... POW POW POW POW POW!!!! MAVERICK! MAVERICK! MAVERICK!

Sigh....

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
maximum360 said:
Palin is a terrible pick. The GOP just spins everything (bordering on nonsensical) and the press simply goes along with it.
Not far from the truth. Bush With Uterus impresses many and gets defended even when Bush Without Uterus is incredibly unpopular. Then again, maybe the republican base feels that Bush Without Uterus talked a good game but just didn't close the deal, while Bush With Uterus will, going back to the incessant "MORE CONSERVATISM!" mantra.

Also, there's an established narrative stating "Republicans Are Authentic, But Democrats Are Not." You'll see it no matter how reality may show otherwise, especially with McCain's pandering in the past few years(POW! Maverick!) and the outright lies concerning Palin(Sexism! Hockey mom!).

TheGrayGhost said:

I've been listening to that all week at work too. I can't help but think "Aren't these the same people who said that they couldn't support Obama because they didn't "know" him? Yet here comes this woman that no one has ever seen or heard of and they immediately all jump on the hype train :/

vas_a_morir said:

I'm glad I'm someone's favorite. My parents told me that their favorite Gaffer is Drinky :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom