• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ventrue said:
You want it to be undefined?

It's genius! Don't you see? Once the tax rate is undefined, and the word tax is stricken from the English language, taxes will have to be invented all over again before any of those damned Democrats can even think about raising them again!

AniHawk

lawblob said:
But most of that 2% lives in UT, CO, ID, AZ, and NV.

Most Mormons are highly concentrated in the west. Mormons basically settled those states in the 1800s.
Well, I meant the religious population of CO.

Mormon% in states:
UT: 58%
CO: 2%
NV: 11%
AZ: 4%
ID: 23%

I don't think it was the religious population that came out in force for Romney. Republicans went for him by 60% and McCain by 18%. Here's to hoping that means a relatively weak turnout for Republicans in CO.

Oh dear . . . maybe it wasn't such a smart idea to make fun of the media . . . they bite.

McCain, Palin criticize Obama on earmarks
By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
11 minutes ago

LEE'S SUMMIT, Mo. - John McCain and Sarah Palin criticized Democrat Barack Obama over the amount of money he has requested for his home state of Illinois, even though Alaska under Palin's leadership has asked Washington for 10 times more money per citizen for pet projects.
"Just the other day our opponent brought up earmarks — and frankly I was surprised that he would even raise the subject at all," Palin said. "I thought he wouldn't want to go there."

Obama hasn't asked for any earmarks this year. Last year, he asked for $311 million worth, about $25 for every Illinois resident. Alaska asked this year for earmarks totaling $198 million, about $295 for every Alaska citizen.

Palin has cut back on pork project requests, but under her administration, Alaska is still and by far the largest per-capita consumer of federal pet-project spending.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080908/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_palin

They might have let such hypocrisy and bullshit slide before you had the entire GOP slate of speakers trash talk the media.

Oh my . . . the truth . . IT BURNS

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Taxpayers be givin' out free mortgages!! freddie mac must be out late drinking when he felt up his male friend causing the mortgage crisis and credit crunch. ahhh pray the gay away sarah PRAY THE GAY AWAY PRAY IT AWAY AND LET THE SUB-PRIMES ROLLL

To all of you hoping that the media pounces on Palin's Freddie Mac gaffe...you do realize that if the Obama campaign simply put out a harsh statement, it would become the headlines for the night, right?

The media NEVER reports this stuff on their own. They only report it when one of the campaigns makes a big deal out of it.

It's the Obama campaign's fault that they are refusing to put out anything negative against Palin.

But just to be safe, I did submit the newstip to CNN :p

Lemonz said:

:D

ronito

AniHawk said:
Get'em, media. Work the body. WORK THE BODY!
yeah right. The media is just biding time waiting to see who's lapdog they're going to be next. But they're pretty sure it's gonna be Mccain so they don't piss him off.

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
Well, I meant the religious population of CO.

Mormon% in states:
UT: 58%
CO: 2%
NV: 11%
AZ: 4%
ID: 23%

I can't believe Mormons only have 2% penetration in CO and 4% penetration in AZ. What amazes me is that many Mormons are still under the illusion that the LDS church is the 'fastest growing' church in the world and will eventually fill the Earth... but I guess thats a discussion for another thread.

Sarah Palin's popularity isn't going to die with one gaffe, it's more of a "death of a thousand cuts" for her. Sparkle and fade, and in the end you're left with a extreme fundie wretch and diehard Republican.

lawblob said:
I can't believe Mormons only have 2% penetration in CO and 4% penetration in AZ. What amazes me is that many Mormons are still under the illusion that the LDS church is the 'fastest growing' church in the world and will eventually fill the Earth... but I guess thats a discussion for another thread.
Well . . . maybe that is just mainstream LDS? I think FLDS has people in those states and maybe they are not counted in that survey?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Hitokage said:
Even then, only in Utah and Idaho are they a significant voting demographic. Of course, primaries are another matter considering partisan voting and turnout.

Yup, the mormons have a pretty big foothold here in Idaho as far as politics are concerned, although most of them are in the southern part of the state. Boise and everything north of it are less densely Mormon. There are towns south of here that are close to being 100% Mormon. Not that any of this matters, the state will vote Republican regardless of whether it would have been Romney or McCain. We've got pockets of liberals here in Boise and in Sun Valley, but this state is never going blue.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Frank the Great said:
To all of you hoping that the media pounces on Palin's Freddie Mac gaffe...you do realize that if the Obama campaign simply put out a harsh statement, it would become the headlines for the night, right?

The media NEVER reports this stuff on their own. They only report it when one of the campaigns makes a big deal out of it.

It's the Obama campaign's fault that they are refusing to put out anything negative against Palin.

But just to be safe, I did submit the newstip to CNN :p

:D
And here is the problem. The once powerful MSM has become a PR reading machine with no other interest than reporting about missing little girls. Now internet tabloids are the ones serving the heat. The Huff is fun and all, but it has no objectivity and obviously it doesn't even reach a minimum part of the electorate.

reilo said:
Mathews: "Is the McCain campaign saying that Obama is Al Sharpton?"

Dude is on today.

Except for the part where he didn't challenge the McCain surrogate when she spewed the lie of Obama raising taxes on people making $42K.

Unfortunately, that tax lie is going to resonate the most with the undecided. Matthews really needed to respond to that.

Haunted

reilo said:
Mathews putting Todd on the spot and asking him whether he agrees with any of Palin's worldviews [abortion, creationism, etc], and he is simply refusing to answer.

Mathews is making the point that Palin has little to nothing in common with Hillary voters, and wondering why the right is trying to grab Hillary voters with someone like Palin.

"On every issue, she is 180 from Hillary."
This is what any self-respecting journalist (regardless of affiliation or preference) should've asked from the beginning.

I don't want to harp on this too much, but it would be pretty much unthinkable here for any politician or political party to not get called out by neutral journalists on such obviously contradicting messages.

The US media is way too lenient on politicians. Again, this would be unthinkable here, and I really really feel shitty when I try to imagine what you guys, or any intelligent and informed US voter must be thinking when watching the news coverage. It's almost insulting.

speculawyer said:
Oh dear . . . maybe it wasn't such a smart idea to make fun of the media . . . they bite.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080908/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_palin

They might have let such hypocrisy and bullshit slide before you had the entire GOP slate of speakers trash talk the media.

Oh my . . . the truth . . IT BURNS
And while I type my angry post deriding the US media, stuff like this gets posted. :D

Fucking finally. Do your goddamn job, journalists.

New Obama ad up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBtbG5xjFBY

Narrator: They call themselves Mavericks. Whoa. Truth is, they're anything but.John McCain is hardly a Maverick when seven of his top campaign advisers are Washington Lobbyists. He's no maverick when he votes with Bush 90% of the time. And Sarah Palin's no maverick either. She was for the bridge to nowhere before she was against it. Politicians lying about their records? You don't call that maverick. You call it more of the same.

That's going to get some people chatting. Note the bold, calling people liars is upping the ante and a very aggressive thing to do.

Edit: This is the kind of ad you roll out, on, say, the first day after the other guy's convention where they tried to paint themselves as mavericks. Hitting them where they are strongest is the way to go on this one because the facts behind the matter are just not flattering for McCain.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Rugasuki said:
While Mayor of Wasilla, Palin charged victims of sexual assault 300-1200 for their own rape kits. Most cities in Alaska covered the rape kit costs and eventually in 2000 a Democratic Governor made the the practice of charging victims for their rape kits illegal.

http://opedna.com/2008/09/08/wasilla-police-billed-sexual-assault-victims-for-rape-kits/
If true, there will be no PUMA (nor reasonable woman) in town to support Palin. This could be pretty big/nasty.

Edit: digg this shit http://digg.com/politics/Palin_s_Hometown_Billed_Sexual_Assault_Victims_for_Rape_Kits

AniHawk

Fragamemnon said:
New Obama ad up:

That's going to get some people chatting. Note the bold, calling people liars is upping the ante and a very aggressive thing to do.

Edit: This is the kind of ad you roll out, on, say, the first day after the other guy's convention where they tried to paint themselves as mavericks. Hitting them where they are strongest is the way to go on this one because the facts behind the matter are just not flattering for McCain.

That's more like it.

Fragamemnon said:
New Obama ad up:

YES!

This is what they need to do.

minus_273 said:
honestly there is not much to write about obama. If they harp too much on his laughable "foreign policy experience" living as a child in indonesia they risk raising the muslim rumors. he has a mediocre career in the state senate and in nothing with his name on it in Us senate. He started running for president halfway through his first term. Obama is much younger and as a result much less experienced than mccain if you cant even admit that you've had too much koolaid.

I dunno. There's something about him getting things done in the Illinois legislature. I also think he's been doing something in the U.S. Senate. There are, of course, other accounts, or lists of what he's done.

Damn, what do I know, though?

Barrett2

Rugasuki said:
While Mayor of Wasilla, Palin charged victims of sexual assault $300-1200 for their own rape kits. Most cities in Alaska covered the rape kit costs and eventually in 2000 a Democratic Governor made the the practice of charging victims for their rape kits illegal.

http://opedna.com/2008/09/08/wasilla-police-billed-sexual-assault-victims-for-rape-kits/

Wow... if this doesn't get women to vote Republican, I don't know what will!

This woman is incredible... typical conservative hack politician.

Shiggie

Fragamemnon said:
New Obama ad up:

Its like a GOP ad. Awesome:D

the fundie witch with the Nowhere, Alaska T-Shirt is the perfect example of evil liberal bloggers funneling feeding the Obama campaign ammuntion for their ads.

Bloggers scalped Allen in 2006, I think they want Palin's head on a doornail this go around, especially given how much that wretch of a woman represents everything modern American liberals despise in the GOP.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Fragamemnon said:
New Obama ad up:

That's like getting a donkey punch and swift kick to the nuts at once. Obama needs to keep doing this until the end. Screw the republicans and their tactics, throw it back in their face with unrelenting truth in a blitzing way they will have to address you.

Any gaffers want to start a youtube project to muck up the republicans. I have an easy way that only with a few you could totally screw them up.

Anyone know if interest rates are being increased? I could've sworn I heard the government will drop the rates after the bailout. I thought in order for the economy to grow, nominal rates should increase, thus strengthening the dollar.

Barrett2

Lemonz said:
Dammit, beaten.

But yeah, WHOA. This is the ad I was hoping the Obama campaign would release to counterattack that mccain ad that was filled with lies.

These ads are exactly what Obama needs. Undecided voters at this point in the game aren't going to be swayed by positive rhetoric. They will only be moved with attack ads. This is exactly what Obama needs to do!

I would like to think that my $25 had a little something to do with this ad. *tear of joy*

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Anyone know if interest rates are being increased? I could've sworn I heard the government will drop the rates after the bailout. I thought in order for the economy to grow, nominal rates should increase, thus strengthening the dollar.

They should, if only to curb inflation a bit.

qwertybob

Fragamemnon said:
New Obama ad up:

great ad :D

gkryhewy

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If you increase nominal rates, could you lower real interest rates, thus stimulating the economy? God this shit confuses the hell out of me.

I don't know what you mean re: nominal vs real. The Fed will keep rates steady, however.

EDIT: Ah, DP. Sorry. Speed up, PoliGAF.

ronito

Rugasuki said:
While Mayor of Wasilla, Palin charged victims of sexual assault $300-1200 for their own rape kits. Most cities in Alaska covered the rape kit costs and eventually in 2000 a Democratic Governor made the the practice of charging victims for their rape kits illegal.

whoa whoa whoa badafucup!!! Are women really going to sit around and let this woman say she's on their side??? Oh wait, they're Republican women...nevermind.

Xisiqomelir

So, can someone answer my question from like 3 pages back and tell me when they think McCain will peak in the national polls? Today? Tomorrow?

Also, a thought from me: Obama should waste no money advertising in Florida, that place has fallen to the Dark Side.

GhaleonEB

Xisiqomelir said:
So, can someone answer my question from like 3 pages back and tell me when they think McCain will peak in the national polls? Today? Tomorrow?

Also, a thought from me: Obama should waste no money advertising in Florida, that place has fallen to the Dark Side.
Should be at about his peak right now.

Also, national polling from today:

ABC/WaPo: Obama 47%, McCain 46%.

CBS: McCain 46%, Obama 44%.

CNN: McCain 48%, Obama 48%.

If this is McCain's peak - nothing to worry about, not one bit.

Zeliard

I find it amusing that as soon as Palin starts trying to discuss specific policies, she makes herself look like a complete idiot (Fannie/Freddie and Obama's earmarks, among other things).

The VP debate will be a bloodbath.

tanod

when is my burrito
That new ad is awesome. I wish we could tag certain ads when we donate to let the campaign know what we think they're doing right.

Zeliard said:
I find it amusing that as soon as Palin starts trying to discuss specific policies, she makes herself look like a complete idiot (Fannie/Freddie and Obama's earmarks, among other things).

The VP debate will be a bloodbath.

Why do I get the feeling that even if she answered every question by doing the Macarena, the press will still say she won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom