• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of cunning stunts and desperate punts

Status
Not open for further replies.
AniHawk said:
I thought NV would be a toss up before NH.

NH is an enigma. McCain has a base there that just loves him. It's like a sea of blue on the political map with NH being the only yellow on there (as a toss-up state).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mathews: "I think the republicans have turned this into a "who" and not a "what" campaign, after 8 years of failed policies by the current republican administration."

Dude's on fiiiyaaaaah

Need YouTube of this STAT.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
minus_273 said:
maybe it is because both fannie mae and freddie mac are government sponsored programs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_takeover_of_Fannie_Mae_and_Freddie_Mac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_sponsored_enterprises

oh im sorry did i just bring facts?

You have an amazing, perfect record of extreme ignorance, and stupid-as-fuck posts which are always factually incorrect, or straight up hit-jobs, contributing absolutely nothing. And instead of thinking 'you know, maybe I'm a little too stupid for this political discourse thing', you keep at it. Well done sir.

AniHawk

Fragamemnon said:
Here's an interesting wrench in our electoral equations:

Paul on the ballot could be a gamebreaker in Montana.

Now that is interesting. There were 182k Democrats that voted in the primaries. Kerry got 173,710 votes in 2004 (there were around 225k Democrats in the general and 21% of them broke for Bush and Independents split even).

In the primaries, McCain was third there. Paul was second, but Romney was first. Not sure what they saw in Romney, but considering that McCain was once considered more right-wing than the other two, Palin will probably shift attention back to himself in Montana. But if Paul supporters want to screw with the establishment and advertise there, they could screw things up enough that it splits the vote and allows a slim win. It's not very likely, but it's possible.

reilo

McCauliffe to challenge Tim Kaine for Governor of Virginia next year?

saelz8

Ban on Political Endorsements by Pastors Targeted

Declaring that clergy have a constitutional right to endorse political candidates from their pulpits, the socially conservative Alliance Defense Fund is recruiting several dozen pastors to do just that on Sept. 28, in defiance of Internal Revenue Service rules.

The effort by the Arizona-based legal consortium is designed to trigger an IRS investigation that ADF lawyers would then challenge in federal court. The ultimate goal is to persuade the U.S. Supreme Court to throw out a 54-year-old ban on political endorsements by tax-exempt houses of worship.

"For so long, there has been this cloud of intimidation over the church," ADF attorney Erik Stanley said. "It is the job of the pastors of America to debate the proper role of church in society. It's not for the government to mandate the role of church in society."

Yet an opposing collection of Christian and Jewish clergy will petition the IRS today to stop the protest before it starts, calling the ADF's "Pulpit Initiative" an assault on the rule of law and the separation of church and state.

Backed by three former top IRS officials, the group also wants the IRS to determine whether the nonprofit ADF is risking its own tax-exempt status by organizing an "inappropriate, unethical and illegal" series of political endorsements.
Washington Post (More at the link)

They want to have their cake and eat it too.

reilo

Bill Clinton and Barack to be at a fundraiser together hosted by Bill this Thursday in Harlem.

Romney did well throughout the Intermountain West. Part of that was MORMON MAN, but he was the bona fide small governmnet/fiscal conservative Republican choice that wasn't named "Ron Paul".

The thing about Paul being on the ballot is that his followers have a cult of personality in his movement that make Barack Obama's look tame in comparison. So they are probably a lot more resistant to the "vote against Obama, vote McCain" argument than other 3rd party candidates.

Slurpy said:
You have an amazing, perfect record of extreme ignorance, and stupid-as-fuck posts which are always factually incorrect, or straight up hit-jobs, contributing absolutely nothing. And instead of thinking 'you know, maybe I'm a little too stupid for this political discourse thing', you keep at it. Well done sir.

That would be a perfect tag for him :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
Paul on the ballot could be a gamebreaker in Montana.

Doesn't make a whole of sense. Paul doesn't really break from the CP on the abortion issue. He breaks from them in a lot of areas where the CP is super theocratic. He may break from their rationale for the issue stance (see super theocratic), but the result is the same. Then again, I have no clue what the CP of Montana's beef with the national party is, exactly.

Wow, I am for one shocked at all the Palin loving going around. She delivered one hawkish, smart ass speech and all of the sudden the sky is falling and the Republicans have a new girl on the block? The speech wasn't even very good. Left nothing, but a bad taste in my mouth, but maybe that is why I am not on board with the Neocons.

I personally think that there is just a whole lot of hoopla going on here because Palin is still pretty much unknown, and hasn't even been given the party line well enough to be interviewed yet. I really like McCain as a person despite thinking that he has taken a serious turn for the worse policy-wise in the last 8 years, but he has let this Palin thing take over just a bit too much.

JayDubya said:
Doesn't make a whole of sense. Paul doesn't really break from the CP on the abortion issue. He breaks from them in a lot of areas where the CP is super theocratic. He may break from their rationale for the issue stance (see super theocratic), but the result is the same.

Good point-he doesn't fit in with the CP. Here's some more info:

Ron Paul was aware that the party planned to do this, and has said that as long as he can remain passive and silent about the development, and as long as he need not sign any declaration of candidacy, that he does not object.

Rur0ni

Clevinger said:
Massive Damage.

GIANT_CRAB.jpg

JayDubya

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

Already saw that, yeah. What I'm curious about is the specific problem that state's version of that party has with Chuck Baldwin.

AniHawk said:
Hmm. Romney was way more popular in CO than McCain, and I thought evangelicals would be a problem there.

MORMONS and the fact that John McCain has always been a bit of a two face guy with the rank and file GOP. I think that's why Mittens did so well in most of the Western states.

AniHawk

Fragamemnon said:
MORMONS and the fact that John McCain has always been a bit of a two face guy with the rank and file GOP. I think that's why Mittens did so well in most of the Western states.

According to Wiki, Mormons only make up 2% of the religious population, where evangelicals make up around 25%.

JayDubya

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

Already saw that, yeah. What I'm curious about is the specific problem that state's version of that party has with Chuck Baldwin.

The only thing I can think is that Paul is huge on federalism, and some CP members might not go for that method of approach to the issue.

Rugasuki

woxel1 said:
Obama's going to win, no question man. Just keep repeating, "Colorado, Colorado, Colorado..."

I live in Denver and I went in to volunteer today but they were doing training of staff and said to come back on Wednesday.

AniHawk

Rugasuki said:
I live in Denver and I went in to volunteer today but they were doing training of staff and said to come back on Wednesday.

Godspeed man. Seriously, if you can help deliver Colorado, you'll be a hero to many strangers on the Internets.

SCReuter said:
Damn, Chris Matthews is at it again.

He's not talking the McCain talking points today.

Maybe he's pissed that David Gregory took his spot.

I could understand Olbermann, but Matthews?

reilo

Tamanon said:
I thought that Virginia only had one-term governors?

Oh, is that true? Makes sense for Terry to run then.

As of 2007, Virginia is the only state in the U.S. in which governors cannot serve consecutive terms.

Oh, so Kaine can run again in 2014 if he wanted to?

Barrett2

AniHawk said:
According to Wiki, Mormons only make up 2% of the religious population, where evangelicals make up around 25%.

But most of that 2% lives in UT, CO, ID, AZ, and NV.

Most Mormons are highly concentrated in the west. Mormons basically settled those states in the 1800s.

1100 emails not being release, possibly related to Troopergate.

Dozens of e-mails exchanged among several government employees and Todd Palin, the husband of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin who has no formal role in her administration, are not being turned over in response to an open records request in the state.

The e-mails are being kept secret ostensibly because they deal with policy deliberations between the governor and her staff, the contents of which do not have to be disclosed to the public. However, Todd Palin's presence in the e-mail chains seems to belie concerns that their contents need to remain strictly in the domain of the state government.

Another possible reason for the withholding is the political damage that could accompany disclosure of the e-mails. According to subject lines of the e-mails, they seem to deal with a public sector union representing Alaska state troopers that the Palins have been feuding with for years as well as one of the governor's main political opponents.

Mother Jones' David Corn outlined the backstory behind the missing e-mails Monday.

In June, Andrée McLeod, a self-described independent government watchdog in Alaska, sent an opens record act request to the office of Governor Sarah Palin. She requested copies of all the emails that had been sent and received by Ivy Frye and Frank Bailey, two top aides to Palin, from February through April of this year. McLeod, a 53-year-old registered Republican who has held various jobs in state government, suspected that Frye and Bailey had engaged in political activity during official business hours in that period by participating in a Palin-backed effort to oust the state chairman of the Alaska Republican party, Randy Ruedrich. (Bailey has been in the national news of late for refusing to cooperate with investigators probing whether Palin fired Alaska's public safety commission because he did not dismiss a state trooper who had gone through an ugly divorce with Palin's sister.)

In response to her request, McLeod received four large boxes of emails. This batch of documents did not contain any proof that Frye and Bailey had worked on government time to boot out Ruedrich. But there was other information she found troubling. Several of the emails suggested to her that Palin's office had used its influence to reward a Fairbanks surveyor who was a Palin fundraiser with a state job. In early August, McLeod filed a complaint with the state attorney general against Palin, Bailey, and other Palin aides, claiming they had violated ethics and hiring laws. Palin, now the Republican vice-presidential candidate, told the Alaska Daily News that "there were no favors done for anybody."

But more intriguing than any email correspondence contained in the four boxes was what was not released: about 1100 emails. Palin's office provided McLeod with a 78-page list (PDF) cataloging the emails it was withholding. Many of them had been written by Palin or sent to her.

Of the withheld e-mails, at least four dozen include Todd Palin, and many of those refer either to the Public Service Employees Association, a union representing law enforcement officers in Alaska. Others including Todd Palin reference Andrew Halco, a former state lawmaker who ran as an independent against Sarah Palin in 2006. Since losing that race, he's become a blogger who frequently criticizes Palin's administration.

A string of e-mails sent over several days in late March and early April refer to "PSEA Ads" and a "PR Campaign," although nothing but the subject line in the e-mails has been released on the grounds that they deal with "deliberative process" and executive privilege.

It's unclear precisely what the ads or PR campaigns were, but municipal elections were held in Anchorage on April 1, during the timeframe the e-mails were being exchanged. RAW STORY has left a message with the PSEA's executive director seeking more information.

PSEA represents Alaska State Troopers, and Gov. Palin is alleged to have fired the state's Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan after he refused to have her former brother-in-law fired from the state police force.

Monegan showed the Washington Post separate e-mails from Sarah Palin's personal Yahoo! e-mail account in which she showed intense interest in the investigation of trooper Mike Wooten, who allegedly threatened Pallin's family while divorcing her sister.

In one e-mail from July of 2007, Palin criticized the fact that Wooten was "not even reprimanded by his bosses" after allegedly threatening to kill her father, and she implied that the union was protecting him.

"Remember when the death threat was reported, and follow-on threats from Mike that he was going to 'bring Sarah and her family down' -- instead of any reprimand WE were told by trooper union personnel that we'd be sued if we talked about those threats," she wrote to Monegan.

Whether the e-mails circulated between Palin's husband and the governor's staffers were similarly critical of the union is not known, but activists hope such information may come to light before the election.

McLeod, who filed the initial public records request, said she will appeal the decision to keep the 1,100 e-mails private.

Slurpy said:
:lol

Ain't that the truth.

ronito said:
Bah! Republicans want to lower it to NEGATIVE zero!

Actually, it is negative in Alaska. yeah, that is right . . . they PAY the Alaskan residents each about $2000/year since Alaska gets so much money in oil revenue from state land.

So to improve the economy, we

A) Extend Bush's tax cut

B) Get off oil

Yeah. Seems like an articulate economic plan. :lol

And god is Palin's voice annoying. She reminds me of the female preacher from King of the Hill with the annoying accent: "WHO ATE MY LUTEFISK!?"

reilo

Mathews: "Is the McCain campaign saying that Obama is Al Sharpton?"

Dude is on today.

Except for the part where he didn't challenge the McCain surrogate when she spewed the lie of Obama raising taxes on people making $42K.

minus_273:
maybe it is because both fannie mae and freddie mac are government sponsored programs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...nd_Freddie_Mac
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governm...ed_enterprises

oh im sorry did i just bring facts?

Yeah . . . some facts that make you look pretty stupid. I'd really suggest clicking and reading before you post links.

Ownership
Some of the GSEs, such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, are privately owned but publicly chartered; others, such as the Federal Home Loan Banks, are owned by the corporations that use their services. Their lenders grant them favorable interest rates, and the buyers of their securities offer them high prices, as the implicit involvement of the Federal government gives them a sense of financial security.

In fact, GSE securities carry no explicit government guarantee.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
lawblob said:
But most of that 2% lives in UT, CO, ID, AZ, and NV.

Most Mormons are highly concentrated in the west. Mormons basically settled those states in the 1800s.
Even then, only in Utah and Idaho are they a significant voting demographic. Of course, primaries are another matter considering partisan voting and turnout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom