• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
APF said:
Obama doesn't give rambling responses in debates? He's been awful in the debates, and partly due to his incoherent blabbing. Wolf Blitzer won't always be there to keep the kid on topic.

obama rambles off-topic now? :lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
harSon said:
Could you answer my previous question APF? I'd prefer you to set aside your wittyness and twisting of words. Will anything Obama does short of croaking please you?

APF answering a question? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't think I've seen a single post of APFs where he responds with a serious, direct answer. His entire debate 'strategy' is to intentionally mis-characterize his opponents position, exaggerate it to all hell, then make some snarky/sarcastic remark about that completely imaginary straw man position that he just came up with, making absolutely no sincere intention to address the issue. He essentially has conversations with himself.

GhaleonEB

At a town hall today, a second-grader asked Obama how exactly one gets the opportunity to run for president.

"Here's what you gotta do," the presidential hopeful told the boy, boiling the process down to few simple steps.

1. "You have to work really hard in school and get really good grades."
2. "Who is this your grandma?" Obama asked the boy. "You have to do everything that grandma tells you to do."
3. "When you get out of school, then you gotta go to college."
4. "After you go to college, you have to hopefully find a job that's helping other people, so that people appreciate that you're helping them, and they'll say that Michael will make a good president some day."

"If you do all those things, then you just might be a president some day," Obama told young Michael. The audience seemed to agree with the recipe, cheering wildly.

Obama, pointing to the boy's grandmother, said he and Michael's grandmother would wait and see if he could pull it off.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/01/848047.aspx

APF said:
Still, the fallout from a debate can definitely crater your run, stop its momentum, or expose vulnerabilities people otherwise wouldn't have thought were there.

Only in as much as they give a candidate the oppurtunity to say a lot without any handlers around. A town hall presents the same possible pitfalls, though without the dogged attempts to corner one.

Touchdown

Banned
APF said:
Obama doesn't give rambling responses in debates? He's been awful in the debates, and partly due to his incoherent blabbing. Wolf Blitzer won't always be there to keep the kid on topic.

Wow, this is the first time I heard he was awful at debates. Apparently you have not watched any of them all the way through. He has been really good at them especially lately. He keeps his cool all the way through, while Hillary comes off as an emotional rollercoaster ride in the debates. She goes from happy happy to angry, to quiet, then to smiling like a jackass then to wah im the victim to im so proud blah blah blah. What I'm trying to say is that him being babbling and incoherent is your perception because you may not be paying attention to what he says. In contrast, when Hillary talks about certain points, you can see she is trying to gain base with certain people and states exactly what everybody wants to hear. In my opinion, she has been worse in the debates besides a few topics that I agree she does excel over him, but overall including looking at their body language, he has done better than Hillary.

APF said:
Still, the fallout from a debate can definitely crater your run, stop its momentum, or expose vulnerabilities people otherwise wouldn't have thought were there.

terrene: I think your comment about PTSD is way out of line, but agree with the rest of what you say there
Yes, one can be hurt if they completely and utterly fail by making a major slip-up on a question that they were utterly unprepared to answer. However, any interpretation is almost completely susceptible to spinning by any pundit.

Take McCain's economic policies. He gets asked a question about economics, and rambles, basically stating that economic policy isn't his strong suit, and how he will defer judgment to those more wise than he is.

Pro-Democrat spinsters: "Is this guy for real? How can a guy expect to win a presidency when he's so completely out of touch with the issues that matter? Stick a fork in McCain; he's done."

Pro-McCain spinsters: "It's really refreshing for a politician to admit his short comings, so I found his answer very sincere. Economics is a deeply complicated issue, and I'm glad that he's willing to admit that he will seek help from the experts. This is just the kind of honesty we need from our commander-in-chief. It's not like any president ever doesn't seek counsel from his advisers. Chalk this one up for McCain!"

There is no objective analysis to definitively declare a winner in a debate these days.

Tamanon

Banned
The bonus for the presidential debates as opposed to the primary debates is that discussions won't be over minor details or tiny differences in policy. They'll be about sweeping philosophy differences.

Steve Youngblood said:
However, any interpretation is almost completely susceptible to spinning by any pundit.
Good point....people hear more of this spinning in media than they actually hear straight from the candidates. And that, sir, is bogus.

Listening to Obama speak live in Scranton, its' about an hour south of where I live in New York. He's doing even better than usual. Speaking with real common sense. Something a lot of other politicians lack. He never fails to amaze me.

APF said:
I'm an intellectually flawed waster of bandwidth.

Fixed.

Seriously, I don't mind debating issues but there's 4 or 5 people that time and time again add nothing to the discussion. They bait people into some meaningless arguments, so there are ranting and raving for the next 3 pages until they leave and things calm down again. I just get tired of wading through all that crap to get to substantive discussion.

Let's go "green", saving bandwidth by leaving the crap out (from all sides).

v1cious

Banned
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/01/clinton-backer-obama-will-win/#comments

(CNN) — A key Hillary Clinton supporter appeared to be a bit off message during a recent interview with a Canadian radio station.

"If I had to make a prediction right now, I'd say Barack Obama is going to be the next president," Missouri Rep. Emanuel Cleaver said in a Canadian public radio interview this weekend. "I will be stunned if he's not the next president of the United States."

Cleaver, an African-American, endorsed Clinton's White House bid last year and formally remained aligned with the New York senator even as other black leaders shifted their support to Barack Obama.

But after his district voted for Obama in the February 5 primary, Cleaver did indicate he would consider voting for the Illinois senator at the party's convention if the delegate count was extremely tight between the two candidates.

In the Canadian radio interview, Cleaver made clear he doesn't expect Clinton to overtake Obama, comparing his support of the New York Democrat to that of his hometown losing football team.

“Even though I don't expect the Kansas City Chiefs to beat the Indianapolis Colts, I cheer for the Kansas City Chiefs,” he said.

He also pushed back on the notion Clinton should take her fight for the party's nomination all the way to the August convention — though he acknowledged that is not the position he is supposed to take.

"If I do the party line, I'm supposed to say — and maybe I'll say, just so if anybody hears it they can say well, 'Cleaver did the party line before he told the truth' — we believe that a contest going all the way to the convention is good for America."

But, he added, an actual convention fight would be a “tragedy of tragedies.”

uh oh...

APF

maximum360 said:
Seriously, I don't mind debating issues but there's 4 or 5 people that time and time again add nothing to the discussion.
What, like you? The amount of people going OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE APF POSTED SOMETHING !!!!! Vastly overwhelms the amount of bandwidth my humble posts demand.

belvedere

Junior Butler
APF said:
Tragically, it's impossible for me to refrain from being witty. That's my one flaw.

APF said:
What, like you? The amount of people going OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE APF POSTED SOMETHING !!!!! Vastly overwhelms the amount of bandwidth my humble posts demand.

One thing's for sure, you're your biggest fan.

PhoenixDark made a good point about obama making mistakes when the press wasn't pushing him,

is McCain up to the same thing?

Yes, this is a very liberal source, but the facts are there all there.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/01/mccain-sadr-facts-wrong/

It's a very mixed moment in the war, on one hand Maliki stood up, on the other hand he fell down pretty hard.

It once again demonstrates McCain's problems with understanding the interplay of forces in the region, especially Iran.

APF

I count about eight dick-riding posts so far on this page. That's pretty good for someone who doesn't have any fans. Seriously though, stop wasting everyone's time by talking about how much you want my ass; it's embarrassing. If you want to discuss, say, the article I posted, then by all means. Otherwise--and I know this is difficult for you guys--lets keep this out of the realm of the directly-personal.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Didn't see this on the last 5 pages.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says he supports DNC Chairman Howard Dean's plan to have super delegates resolve the Democratic nomination battle by July 1, 2008.

In the usual off-camera scrum with reporters that follows his Tuesday news conference, he was asked...

"Do you support [Howard Dean's] proposal to have superdelegates vote by July first or express their preference by July first," the reporter asked.

Reid said, "Either that or before."

Next.

thefro

Amir0x said:
huge Republican lead for Clinton in Indiana. If you took that away, she'd lead by 7 instead of 9. fucking guy

It'd be 6, because he used to win Republicans like the Independents before the Rush antics.

Xeke

Banned
Question: Will the Hardball college tour with Obama be put up on the website tomorrow? Because right now I am torn between going to a campus Obama meeting or watching him on MSNBC.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Xeke said:
Question: Will the Hardball college tour with Obama be put up on the website tomorrow? Because right now I am torn between going to a campus Obama meeting or watching him on MSNBC.

Untitled-2.gif

That shit is making you lazy.

:D

Tamanon

Banned
Xeke said:

I assume it will be, go see him live?

APF

thefro said:
It'd be 6, because he used to win Republicans like the Independents before the Rush antics.
How much of that would be honest support, and how much merely to crater Hillary? This is something I'm not sure has been sufficiently asked re: his early support among Republicans.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
APF said:
How much of that would be honest support, and how much merely to crater Hillary? This is something I'm not sure has been sufficiently asked re: his early support among Republicans.

there is a difference between voting against someone because you dont like them, versus voting for someone because you think they will lose against your actual chosen candidate in the general.

APF

quadriplegicjon said:
there is a difference between voting against someone because you dont like them, versus voting for someone because you think they will lose against your actual chosen candidate in the general.
While in a literal sense what you say is true, I'm not sure what the significance of making that point really is.

APF

quadriplegicjon said:
you are trying to draw parallels.. and i just dont see them.
We're talking about the validity of either candidate's alleged Republican support. That's the parallel. You're trying too hard.

thekad

Banned
APF said:
We're talking about the validity of either candidate's alleged Republican support. That's the parallel. You're trying too hard.

And he is saying that there is no parallel because one is pure preference. The other is sabotage.

Interesting article about AA from Slate:

Should Obama become the Democratic nominee, this could be one of the tougher issues on which to find common ground. Ward Connerly—a prominent opponent of affirmative action—is pushing to get referendums on the subject onto ballots in at least five states this fall. It may be difficult for Obama to avoid taking a definitive stance: Affirmative action, says Connerly, "is probably the most difficult race issue [Obama] will have to face." If the candidate denounces affirmative action, Connerly predicts, "his support among blacks will plummet from around 80 to 50 percent. Then, bear in mind that much of his support in Iowa, Vermont, and Wyoming came from white males, who by a margin of 70 to 30 oppose affirmative action."

LINK

gkryhewy

siamesedreamer said:
Interesting article about AA from Slate:

LINK

How could he come out against AA? He's the AA candidate. Both Pat Robertson and your mother in law said so.

Seriously, though, I'd be curious about the states and the specific referenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom