• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
APF said:
You try too hard to attack me, and try too little to have those attacks be of substance.

Well, that's the point of trolling me right?

my posts are trolls now? how so?

i think you need to step away from the computer for a second. this woe is me attitude doesnt become you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
KRS7 said:
207tjph.jpg

080401_jcarville_pa2.jpg

Voldemort's new disguise?

Voldemort is a republican, everyone knows that.

rfv_preview.gif

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ari said:
Is it me or does MSNBC is getting a little bit too obvious?

Dude, she was endorsed by Richard Mellon Scaife - he accused her and Bill of murdering someone! He donated nearly $1mil to Richard Nixon in 1972.

APF

thekad said:
They voted Obama because they simply preferred Obama as a candidate than Hillary.
Stay on topic or don't respond. My question was:

"How much of that would be honest support, and how much merely to crater Hillary? This is something I'm not sure has been sufficiently asked re: his early support among Republicans."

The idea that there isn't an enormous amount of righteous Hillary-hate among the Republican ranks doesn't deserve mention, and the so-called "Limbaugh effect" is incredibly overrated by handwringing Obama supporters. I'm willing to say it's insignificant in both directions, but it's a valid response to the original point I was responding to. I'd say give it up, but I still want to see you prove your disgusting accusation of racism. Put up or kindly STFU with those asinine accusations.

Another day, another Obama lie...

When my family back in Pennsylvania turns on the TV these days, they may see this Barack Obama TV ad where he's standing in a gas station saying the following:

"Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas.

I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil. I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them."

Factcheck.org today takes a look at Obama's claim to not take money from oil companies and concludes that the statement "misleading" since according to the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics Obama has taken more than $213,000 from individuals (and their spouses) who work for companies in the oil and gas industry -- not to mention that two of Obama's top fundraisers are top executives at oil companies".

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
wake me up when you start posting anything critical of McCain or, say, any Republican.

SUPERMAJORITY!

tanod

when is my burrito
siamesedreamer said:

Except that's not a lie. There's a big difference between corporate-sponsored giving (through a PAC) and employees giving of their own free will.

If I gave money to Obama, that doesn't mean he's taking money from the manufacturing industry. That's absurd.

scorcho

super...majority?

in less relevant, purely superficial news, McCain further shows us his very tenuous grasp on foreign policy issues outside of complete American Victory in everything - http://thinkprogress.org/wonkroom/2008/04/01/basra-iraq-mccain/

Asked if Maliki’s Basra campaign had “backfired,” McCain replied, “Apparently it was Sadr who asked for the ceasefire, declared a ceasefire. It wasn’t Maliki. Very rarely do I see the winning side declare a ceasefire. So we’ll see.”

Actually, it was apparently members of Maliki’s own government who traveled to Iran and requested the cease-fire, to which Sadr agreed. Maliki’s government then issued a statement praising Sadr, after Maliki insisted less than a week ago that there would be “no negotiation.”

and as an added bonus, a very well written piece showing how the press corps' collective idiocy boils over whenever McCain is the subject - http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh040108.shtml

thank god we have SD here to give us the REAL substantive primary dirt.

APF

Taking money from the CEO isn't somewhat equivalent to taking money from a lobbyist or "the company?" Come on. Factcheck is completely accurate in saying Obama's claims are "misleading" at best.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
siamesedreamer said:

You're getting rather pathetic and desperate. That's beyond reaching. There's no lie. Others have debunked this bullshit. Corporation does not equal individual, no matter how 'equivalent' APF and others try to make them out to be.

GhaleonEB

tanod said:
Except that's not a lie. There's a big difference between corporate-sponsored giving (through a PAC) and employees giving of their own free will.

If I gave money to Obama, that doesn't mean he's taking money from the manufacturing industry. That's absurd.
Exactly. It's not even a stretch, it's just BS.

scorcho

We find the statement misleading:

* Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses.

* Two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and are listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful.
the first bullet is overblown - is he to suggest that anyone who works or has a spouse who works with an oil company in any capacity can't individually/privately contribute to his campaign?

the second is more of a 'problem', if by problem i mean non-story. in that case it's a big problem.

APF

I think anyone who wants to donate to a political campaign--even race baiting douches and CEOs of oil companies--should be allowed to do so. The point is, saying you're not getting money from that sector is a bit of a stretch, when people in that sector--in particular, at the upper echelons of that sector--are in fact top donors.

But apparently the Obama campaign is quickly veering from a new kinda politics to politics as usual, but with more closely-parsed word choices (gee maybe I should ride that train)

thekad

Banned
APF said:
In the ad, Obama says, "I don’t take money from oil companies." Which candidates *do* take money from oil companies?
Are you suggesting Obama is calling Hillary unpatriotic - oops, I mean - a receiver of oil money by not mentioning she doesn't receive oil money in his own commercial?

Evenflow

Do you guys realize that if a clerk at a gas station gives money and puts Mobil or BP as their employer it shows up as "oil industry". I work for Target and have given money so by the logic of this, "Obama takes money from Target". He said he doesn't take money from oil companies, meaning PAC groups and lobbyists. Companies does not mean individuals. Really grasping for straws here.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1727120,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

Though the official would not provide an exact number, he did say, "The number starts with a three and we are still counting. It's in the 30s."

While a monthly fundraising total of $30 million or more would be well short of the more than $55 million Obama raised during the month of February, it would still represent nearly $1 million a day - a healthy pace for a campaign that had a politically rocky last few weeks. And it likely insures that Obama will be able to afford large TV and radio advertising buys in the remaining primary states, the official claimed.

As of Tuesday night, the Clinton campaign had not released its March totals. But one Clinton campaign adviser hinted that the New York senator's total for the month will come close to $20 million. That estimate could not be independently confirmed.

Doesn't look like the fundraising effort was hurt that bad at all. Not $55 million, but still a million a day. Will be interesting to see how much is primary money and how much is general money for both. We now know how neutered Clinton's numbers were last month because of the general v primary donations.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
siamesedreamer said:

So, if I gave money to Obama, it would also mean that whichever company I work for was openly endorsing him?

Another day, another siamesedreamer lie.

Tamanon

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
So why isn't anybody talking about McCain's screwup about Iraq?!

He doesn't need to understand Iraq. Bush never did, and his position is whatever Bush's was.:p

I mean who could possibly think that removing the Arabic Shield was a bad idea?

APF

Keep spinning guys. Can't admit even once that Obama might be slightly misleading or deceptive. Gotta keep spinning those facts

Factcheck article said:
It's true that Obama doesn't take money directly from oil companies, but then, no presidential, House or Senate candidate does. They can't: Corporations have been prohibited from contributing directly to federal candidates since the Tillman Act became law in 1907.

[...]

When the Clinton campaign criticized Obama's ad, calling it "false advertising," Obama's campaign quickly noted that he didn't take money from political action committees or lobbyists.

We'd say the Obama campaign is trying to create a distinction without very much of a practical difference. Political action committee funds are pooled contributions from a company's or an organization's individual employees or members; corporate lobbyists often have a big say as to where a PAC's donations go. But a PAC can give no more than $5,000 per candidate, per election. We're not sure how a $5,000 contribution from, say, Chevron's PAC would have more influence on a candidate than, for example, the $9,500 Obama has received from Chevron employees giving money individually.

In addition, two oil industry executives are bundling money for Obama – drumming up contributions from individuals and turning them over to the campaign. George Kaiser, the chairman of Oklahoma-based Kaiser-Francis Oil Co., ranks 68th on the Forbes list of world billionaires. He's listed on Obama's Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the candidate. Robert Cavnar is president and CEO of Milagro Exploration LLC, an oil exploration and production company. He's named as a bundler in the same category as Kaiser.

We're not making any judgments about whether Obama is influenced by campaign contributions. In fact, we'd note that he singles out ExxonMobil in this ad, even though he's received more than $30,850 from individuals who work for the company. But we do think that in theory, contributions that come in volume from oil industry executives, or are bundled by them, can be every bit as influential as PAC contributions, if not more so.

The tendency to plug your ears and start singing "lalalalacanthearyou" whenever you experience a twinge of cognitive dissonance between reality and what you want to believe about His Holiness The Second Barack Obama Peace Be Upon Him is perhaps one of the reasons people think there's a bit of a cultish vibe to some of his most stringent support.

But WHERE is the money comeing from?Theoretically doesn't really answer my question.. Im will to accept that he really does take money from these people,but you have to show me that. And this article doesn't show me.

scorcho

oh, it's definitely misleading, but a lie? no.

getting back to what i posted earlier - non-story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom