• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suaveric

good speech, but I would have liked her to explain a little bit more that a vote for Barack in the fall is a vote for her. That their plans for the future of this country are virtually the same and McCain is the enemy, not Barack.

TDG

Banned
Well, I just watched the speech. I thought it was really good. I'm glad that we're completely done with the primaries now.

Alcibiades

JoshuaJSlone said:
Certainly from my perspective he's come a long way. Before I started paying big attention to the primaries, he was just a guy I saw sometimes that I thought kinda looked like Lucas from Days of Our Lives with a beard.

20080607dattod.gif
hmm, I never quite saw that... I guess as a super-grown Lucas...

Odrion

Banned
I like when they do that because it's was historical moment and it only makes them look further ridiculous. Kinda like the footage of new stations back in the 60s.

gluv65 said:
Who Fucking Knew that giving a little dap or a pound aka fist bump and now fox calls it the "TERRORIST FIST BUMP" you can't make this shit up even if you tried.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200806060007
Obama am turrist CONFIRMED

But srsly, they make it look like they don't understand the Obama fist-bump, and then go into completely explaining Bush's chest bump and they give him props for it. Wow.

FAIR AND BALANCED

suaveric said:
good speech, but I would have liked her to explain a little bit more that a vote for Barack in the fall is a vote for her. That their plans for the future of this country are virtually the same and McCain is the enemy, not Barack.

Yeah this was a unifying/healing speech that is going to start to heal both sides. Eventually she's going to have to go back into fiery Hillary mode and tell her stubborn supporters and some of the more "uneducated white vote" that may not be quick to get behind Obama and say. "You want to stay in Iraq? Fine vote for McCain. You want war with Iran, fine vote for McCain. You want the economy to stay the same with the Joe American getting shit on? Fine vote for McCain. You want to keep paying high gas prices, and stay dependent on oil and continue to ignore the energy crisis that is coming? Fine vote for McCain. But if you don't want those things, then you need to seriously consider voting for Barack Obama." She'd be good at that.

Zeed

Banned
I was pleased with Clinton's speech. She can yet become a powerful force for good this November if she keeps it up. I'm still opposed to her as VP because I do not believe it would ultimately help Barack, however, if it does in fact help him get elected I'm all for it. From now on I care about only one thing in politics - getting this man into the Oval Office.

Anyway, I transcribed the lyrics of Nas' Black President for the occasion:

Though he seems heaven-sent we ain't ready
To have a Black President

Yes we can...
Change the world... (Change the world)

Yes we can...
Change the world... (The world, the world)

They forgot us on the block, got us in a box
Solitary confinement
How valid are these cops
They need an early retirement
How many rallies will I watch
I ain't got it in me to march, I got to send me to spark
The games and the trial, public housing projects
Cooking up in the pyrex
My set my clique
Even getting money or running from homicide trial to see if they ain't dodgin
Tryin to be rich still pledgin allegiance
A predicate felon and ghetto leader
Lending my poetical genius to whoever may need it
I bleed this so queens bridge now livin with my feet up never defeated
So a president's needed
You know these color folks these negroes hate seeing one of their own succeedin
America surprise us
A little black man guide us

[Chorus]

What's the black prez thinkin on election night
Is it how can I protect my life, protect my wife, protect my rights?
Every other president was nothin less than white
'Cept Thomas Jefferson and mixed Indian blood, and Calvin Coolidge
KKK is like "what the fuck?"
Loadin they guns up
Loadin up mines too
Ready to ride cause I'm ridin with my crew
He dies we die too

But on the positive side I think Obama provides
Hope and challenges minds
of all races and colors to erase the hate
and try to love one another
So many political snakes, we in need of a break
I thinkin I can trust this brother

But will he keep it way real
Every innocent nigga in jail gets out on the pill
When he wins will he really care still?
I feel...

[Chorus]

Sayin praya for "do we have ta?"
You ain't right Jeremiah wrong pastor
Love with a slave master
Sincerely yours USA's most brave rapper
Jesse carjacker Uncle Tom kidnapper
Act around bentley cooped off the Richter
Bitch called like I pimped her (wuh?)
Politics politricks, Klan shooter
Deacon for defense progress producer
Nothin on the stove for survival booster
Gotta do what we gotta do
We ain't got no Northerners comin through to help
Anything we need we done we gotta do ourself
New improved JFK on the way
It ain't the 60s again, niggas ain't hippies again
We ain't fallin for the same traps standing on the balcony where they shot the King at
McCain got apologies, ain't nobody hearin that, people need honesty

[Chorus]

I just watched a repeat of the speech. I missed the first little bit so maybe I didn't get the entire context, but from what I saw I wasn't that impressed. She managed to talk about herself a lot (for the second speech in a row...) and when she touched upon Obama it was always vague generalities about the needs of the party and voting for Obama because he's the nominee rather than positive things about Obama himself. She still seems unwilling to let go of the notion that she would be better. There was even a point where she says how she thought she would be the best candidate but... and then proceeds to launch into a long monologue about women in America without ever returning to the idea that Obama is a strong candidate in his own right.

I don't know. It just seemed like she was trying to cement her place in history and otherwise going through the motions. Every endorsement she gives seems to be about what position Obama is in and and what the alternative is, not who Obama is and what he specifically offers. It's disappointing, but not surprising.

Gaborn

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just watched a repeat of the speech. I missed the first little bit so maybe I didn't get the entire context, but from what I saw I wasn't that impressed. She managed to talk about herself a lot (for the second speech in a row...) and when she touched upon Obama it was always vague generalities about the needs of the party and voting for Obama because he's the nominee rather than positive things about Obama himself. She still seems unwilling to let go of the notion that she would be better. There was even a point where she says how she thought she would be the best candidate but... and then proceeds to launch into a long monologue about women in America without ever returning to the idea that Obama is a strong candidate in his own right.

I don't know. It just seemed like she was trying to cement her place in history and otherwise going through the motions. Every endorsement she gives seems to be about what position Obama is in and and what the alternative is, not who Obama is and what he specifically offers. It's disappointing, but not surprising.

I think that's a little bit harsh. I do maintain that Hillary is a bit of an egomaniac, and we certainly saw that in her speech, but I thought she did what she felt she needed to do, she did endorse Obama very specifically and explicitly touting him as the logical candidate for her supporters to go to, and calling for them to make that move. I thought she was as gracious as she could be.

I think the negative that you saw, and I as well, that she was focused so much on herself was more about her desire to be VP than any attempt to still be President this time around. I think she was speaking as much to Obama as Democrats in generally and believed that emulating him, in scope and manner of speaking (the tone was pure Obama) was her way of asking to be his VP. From a political standpoint the motive was graceless, but rhetorically I have to say it was brilliant, and a little scary how she could seemingly morph into an entirely different speaker from the past.

VALIS

Stumpokapow said:
You can see going right back into the last thread and the thread before that an awful lot of observers literally change their minds every time they hear a speech or read a blog. There's an enormous myopia here and elsewhere on the web when it comes to political issues.

You're right. There's an enormous myopia when it comes to about 3/4ths of PoliGAF in realizing that 18 million voted for her and she's one of the most powerful people in politics. I don't like her, I don't like Bill, they surround themselves with some of the most destructive, slash and burn advisers and supporters in the country... but her being on Obama's ticket would provide a range of appeal among voters that absolutely no one else could provide. I snicker when people come up with shit like Sebelius and Webb and other trophy candidates who have zero appeal on the national stage. It's obvious that this is a first election for a lot of people here because they never think of trying to appeal to as many people as possible, they just think about what appeals to themselves the most.

Would I personally rather another VP than Hillary? Yes. Would another VP than Hillary lend as much to Obama's broad appeal as much as she does? No way. Obama won the nomination on Tuesday and the media has been 24/7 Hillary since. She's a major force in American politics, like it or not.

I'm frequently dumbfounded listening to some of you wanting to discard a candidate who just racked up 18 MILLION votes. It's a dream come true for Obama. He gets to be the president. He's the one who sets the policies and the tone and approves and vetoes and appoints judges and meets with foreign leaders and so on and so on and so on, and what Hillary does is stand there in a supporting role and bring her 18 million supporters on board.

You'd have to be half-insane to choose another candidate over her. And I don't like her! But I want to win.

Gaborn

VALIS said:
You're right. There's an enormous myopia when it comes to about 3/4ths of PoliGAF in realizing that 18 million voted for her and she's one of the most powerful people in politics. I don't like her, I don't like Bill, they surround themselves with some of the most destructive, slash and burn advisers and supporters in the country... but her being on Obama's ticket would provide a range of appeal among voters that absolutely NO ONE else could provide. I snicker when people come up with shit like Sebelius and Webb and other trophy candidates who have fucking ZERO appeal on the national stage. It's obvious that this is a first election for a lot of people here because they never think of trying to appeal to as many people as possible, they just think about what appeals to themselves the most.

Would I personally rather another VP than Hillary? Yes. Would another VP than Hillary lend as much to Obama's broad appeal as much as she does? No way. Obama won the nomination on Tuesday and the media has been 24/7 Hillary since. She's a major force in American politics, like it or not.

I'm frequently dumbfounded listening to some of you wanting to discard a candidate who just racked up 18 MILLION votes. It's a dream come true for Obama. He gets to be the president. He's the one who sets the policies and the tone and approves and vetoes and appoints judges and meets with foreign leaders and so on and so on and so on, and what Hillary does is stand there in a supporting role and bring her 18 million supporters on board.

You'd have to be bugfuck insane to choose another candidate over her. And I don't like her! But I want to win.

God knows I don't agree with much of what poligaf believes, but I think they're dead on about Hillary. The thing is, Obama's young enough and not "established" enough, and Hillary's got enough connections (even ignoring Bill) that an Obama-Clinton ticket would immediately become in effect an Obama-CLINTON ticket. Rather than the VP being just another supporter of the President, Hillary would immediately overshadow Obama in coverage and in gravitas. That's of course aside from the fact she's more polarizing and less "likeable" than Obama outside of core democratic voters.

Think of it though as if Obama chose Gore to be his VP (and assume he'd accept). Do you think Obama would get more or less attention than Gore in that situation?

Zeed

Banned
VALIS said:
He's the one who sets the policies and the tone and approves and vetoes and appoints judges and meets with foreign leaders and so on and so on and so on, and what Hillary does is stand there in a supporting role and bring her 18 million supporters on board.

You'd have to be half-insane to choose another candidate over her. And I don't like her! But I want to win.
You're assuming that those 18 million would come on board automatically with Obama at the top of the ticket. You're also assuming another VP, given appropriate exposure, could not get them as well. Not to mention that much of her popular vote came from large, solid blue states like New York and California that are not contested. Her tactical appeal is limited in states that matter. Sebelius, for example, could probably help in Ohio just as much as Clinton.

Hillary also comes with a number of liabilities. There's her own dirty laundry which the Republicans have been digging up for years. There's her irrational and unpredictable behavior on the campaign trail. There's her own sound bites which can be used against Obama. She arguably undermines the message, and then there's Bill and the whole Pandora's Box he brings along.

Bottom line is I don't think she passes a cost-risk evaluation.

Odrion

Banned
Okay if I hear another retard that says Hillary being VP would magically give Obama 18 million votes I'm going to find a way to kill him through e-mail.

VALIS, it's glib and condescending to suggest that people must be first time voters or that it's their first time participating in the process because they don't support Clinton on the ticket. It's not wrong to believe in principle over supposed "electibility", and beyond that assertion there are half a dozen other practical considerations to take into account. She brings a tremendous amount of baggage both from the primaries (a source for dozens if not hundreds of sound bytes of her attacking Obama's qualifications in the worst possible way) as well as her and Bill's unsavory financial entanglements. It's also a mistake to think of those 18 million voters as Hillary's and hers alone. The ones who are focused on issues are already likely to switch to Obama and those for whom it's a cult of personality wouldn't necessarily be any less resentful upon seeing her in the subservient role of VP than they are now.

The list goes on, and I'm sure you could rebute each point in turn with more arguments for why she would be a good pick, but my point is that there are legit grounds for considering why she might not just be the shiny sparkling gift of 18 million votes that you propose.

VALIS

Zeed said:
You're assuming that those 18 million would come on board automatically with Obama at the top of the ticket.

I'm sure there were a decent amount of voters who chose her not because they like her but don't like Obama. But most of them? Yes, of course they would come on board vote for Barack. And a lot of them would vote for him even if she wasn't VP, but I don't think some of you realize what the next few months would be like with ab Obama/Clinton ticket. Media frenzy. The dream team. The most important ticket in American political history, they'd say. I'd bet you cash money that would be the overriding theme everywhere but Fox News and a couple other conservative enclaves. Could you imagine what kind of influence this would have? Remember, the majority of voters aren't well researched. Give them three months of HISTORY MAKING DREAM TEAM vs. old and saggy McCain and whatever other straggler he brings on, and I predict you'd see a rout.

Odrion said:
Okay if I hear another retard that says Hillary being VP would magically give Obama 18 million votes I'm going to find a way to kill him through e-mail.

why would you do that? it has been 100% confirmed that if Obama made Hillary his VP choice, it would magically give him those 18 million votes. come on now, don't hate on the truth.

Zeed said:
I was pleased with Clinton's speech. She can yet become a powerful force for good this November if she keeps it up. I'm still opposed to her as VP because I do not believe it would ultimately help Barack, however, if it does in fact help him get elected I'm all for it. From now on I care about only one thing in politics - getting this man into the Oval Office.

Anyway, I transcribed the lyrics of Nas' Black President for the occasion:
Pretty good! Thanks for the link and lyrics.

theBishop

Banned
I'm watching the Obama biography on MSNBC, and I just realized we've completely ignored John Kerry in this thread. Obama would not be the nominee today if it weren't for Kerry. It was Kerry who tapped Obama to give the keynote DNC speech in '04, and Kerry was behind Obama's campaign really early in the process.

I wonder if Obama will ask him to join the administration...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VALIS said:
You're right. There's an enormous myopia when it comes to about 3/4ths of PoliGAF in realizing that 18 million voted for her and she's one of the most powerful people in politics. ... yadda yadda hillary yadda yadda

The myopia I'm describing is not holding the opinion that Hillary would be a good choice for the ticket or holding the opinion that she wouldn't be a good choice for the ticket. It's the process by which people arrive at those conclusions. I'm not calling you myopic by any means, but in a sense I'm referring to all of us.

The internet empowers people to have instant access to information and allows them to rapidly get up to speed on things they did not know about before. I don't know fuck all about cricket, but I'm sure the internet allows me to learn the rules and the big players pretty quickly.

The unfortunate side effect of this new generation of instant micro-experts is that the quality and depth of vision has been lowered greatly. Someone proposes Ted Strickland as Governor, and suddenly a few Googles and Wikipedias later every poster in the thread has a nominally informed opinion about Strickland.

So there's a mix of both people who don't know anything but think they know a lot and people who genuinely know a lot but learned it so recently that they lack a certain robustness of understanding of what it is they know.

Along with the internet, television has gone in a similar direction. Between the constant need of the 24 hour news cycle to drum up new stories out of thin air, the professional "consultant" industry, the journalist as pundit, and echo chambers found in progressive, conservative, and neutral media sources, we've got a world where everyone is an expert but no one really knows what they're talking about.

People yelling about Hillary as an independent candidate earlier in the week had evidence to back them up; pundits had floated it, she was sending out mixed signals about quitting the race, immediate opinion polls said Americans thought that wouldn't be a half-bad idea. In a vacuum, all that sounds enticing... but the idea is stupid now and it was stupid then. It ignores the realities of the team she had assembled, the moneymakers, the issues of the election, her political future. Basically every long-term or deeper-than-surface level concern was erased for a few days when people focused just on her personality and the half thought out opinions Americans mashed into the phones when robocalled.

The same goes for the ridiculous cabinets people are assembling for Obama that include clashing personalities, people that don't want the jobs, people who can't hack the jobs, people with scandal-filled backgrounds, and a roster of people so famous that if they were assembled into a cabinet they would leave massive power vacuums in the Democratic party infrastructure from bottom to top... while ignoring the reality that the majority of cabinet members are talented individuals with a background in non-elected civil service and executive bureaucracy. It's not uncommon that the Vice Presidential candidate has low name recognition. It's not uncommon that the cabinet has NO name recognition.

And in the end perhaps the most grievous error of all found in internet discussions is the idea that this amateur hour of punditry actually represents the direction of politics. Both Dean and Obama have spoken about the power of the internet to create a new democracy--and Edwards and Obama both cast their campaigns as a bottom-up grassroots effort... but when push comes to shove, every single campaign relies on a certain level of intellectual elitism wherein the candidate and his or her inner circle of expert advisers aim to direct public discourse, not listen to it. It's one thing to say that a politician should be mindful of what people want, but a history of American public opinion polls should tell us two things: first, people often want things they don't fully understand that can or will hurt them. Second, people are led by leaders.

Whether the surge or Bush's social security reform plans were good or not is not relevant here, but they do provide an awesome example of this phenomenon. Two days before the surge was announced, popular opinion did not exist on the subject. Sure, some people would have a gut reaction to it if it was pitched to them... but the fact remains that the actual discourse around the surge did not exist until it left the lips of the politicians assigned to pitch it to the public.

The new media and the internet ignore this. Ideas appear and instantaneously everyone is already an expert on the idea, the counterproposals, and every little trivial bit of knowledge surrounding it. The real experts who have the actual ability to evaluate the idea and provide meaningful context are either partisan and thus unable to be intellectually honest, or else drowned out by the echo chamber of populist sentiment on the matter.

That's the myopia I'm talking about. I don't mean to suggest I'm immune to it, either... although I'd argue that in particular this dampening effect tends to be worse in American politics than elsewhere in my experience. There's a reason academics can be career historians and political scientists; there is a much deeper historical, political, logical, empirical, and thoughtful dimension to this race and it's not being discussed near enough here, anywhere else on the internet, or for the most part in public.

I think, too, that this sort of thing is demonstrated best as time goes on an ideas spouted by pundits and posters alike are ridiculed. It's no coincidence that "crow eating" tends to happen much more now than ever before in my experience, and it's not just because the internet allows us to easily pull up someone's record--it's that people who never would have weighed in or made predictions before now make them frequently, but those predictions are not good enough to be right most of the time. I'd also wager a guess that the average person from this generation feels as though he or she knows more about politics whether or not he or she actually does.

For the third time, I'll quote Alexander Pope here--A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring: There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain, And drinking largely sobers us again.

theBishop said:
I wonder if Obama will ask him [Kerry] to join the administration...

i have very mixed feelings about this type of thing. 'oh, we want biden as SOS, kerry in there, maybe dodd, maybe clinton, etc'

there are currently only 49 democrats in the senate, plus 2 I's who caucus with them (one of those being the big L). if Obama wins, thats 48, and if kerry, clinton, biden alone, thats 45. yeah, gov's can appoint new dems to take their seats, and the dems are slated to pick up maybe 5 or more senate seats, but raiding a body of 100 of 5 members, thats 5 people who have relationships with people, who have connections, who have legislative experience, etc from that body.

i'm not sure it's a good idea to take so many senators and put them in the admin/cabinet.

theBishop said:
I'm watching the Obama biography on MSNBC, and I just realized we've completely ignored John Kerry in this thread. Obama would not be the nominee today if it weren't for Kerry. It was Kerry who tapped Obama to give the keynote DNC speech in '04, and Kerry was behind Obama's campaign really early in the process.

I'm quite positive he will. Yes we absolutely cannot forget the faith that Kerry had in Obama. Sure people shrugged off his endorsement as nothing major, but I thought it was pretty significant that he was throwing his support behind Obama the way he did so it's important that we not forget people like that.

Very good point kaboom.

:lol Obama to his campaign people stating how had they lost Iowa it would've been over, but since we did, we have to win.

Almost like a "holy shit we really stepped into it now, we can't disappoint people lets win this thing!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
theBishop said:

Massachusetts would go from having the 18th ranked senator in the senate to having the 100th ranked senator in the senate... and given that Teddy is going to kick the bucket or retire at some point during his term, they'll also lose the 2nd ranked senator in the senate.

From 2nd and 18th to 99th and 100th. It's going to be a shitty few years for the bay state in terms of political influence.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
theBishop said:

Kerry has repeatedly denounced such rumors. Plus it wouldn't be wise for Obama to steal all of his fellow Senators for his administration

Shiggie

StoOgE said:
Guys, I've updated the fundraising goal for NeoGafers for Obama to 3K.

Remember, it's NeoGAF's contribution to society.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/group/NeoGAFforObama

we did an awesome job bringing the senator 1337 dollars in the primary. I wanted to make the goal 9001 dollars (greater than 9000 :D).. but last time I had a crazy big number as a joke, you guys hit it, I didnt want to make GAF give up all their money this time.
When i get paid guys:D . I cant wait to donate money.

Zeed

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Kerry has repeatedly denounced such rumors. Plus it wouldn't be wise for Obama to steal all of his fellow Senators for his administration
I hope Obama takes Hagel as SecDef, and Lugar as SecState.

Adds two highly qualified individuals who work well with Obama to the administration, subtracts two Republicans from the Senate.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
kkaabboomm said:
i have very mixed feelings about this type of thing. 'oh, we want biden as SOS, kerry in there, maybe dodd, maybe clinton, etc'

there are currently only 49 democrats in the senate, plus 2 I's who caucus with them (one of those being the big L). if Obama wins, thats 48, and if kerry, clinton, biden alone, thats 45. yeah, gov's can appoint new dems to take their seats, and the dems are slated to pick up maybe 5 or more senate seats, but raiding a body of 100 of 5 members, thats 5 people who have relationships with people, who have connections, who have legislative experience, etc from that body.

i'm not sure it's a good idea to take so many senators and put them in the admin/cabinet.
This can't be said enough.

God gamn Obama is one inspirational sob. I almost cried listening to the very the end part of his speech to his campaign HQ in Chicago.

The man really does care about these things.

VALIS

GrotesqueBeauty said:
VALIS, it's glib and condescending to suggest that people must be first time voters or that it's their first time participating in the process because they don't support Clinton on the ticket. It's not wrong to believe in principle over supposed "electibility", and beyond that assertion there are half a dozen other practical considerations to take into account. She brings a tremendous amount of baggage both from the primaries (a source for dozens if not hundreds of sound bytes of her attacking Obama's qualifications in the worst possible way) as well as her and Bill's unsavory financial entanglements. It's also a mistake to think of those 18 million voters as Hillary's and hers alone. The ones who are focused on issues are already likely to switch to Obama and those for whom it's a cult of personality wouldn't necessarily be any less resentful upon seeing her in the subservient role of VP than they are now.

The list goes on, and I'm sure you could rebute each point in turn with more arguments for why she would be a good pick, but my point is that there are legit grounds for considering why she might not just be the shiny sparkling gift of 18 million votes that you propose.

I'm not suggesting that everyone who doesn't think Clinton would be a beneficial VP candidate is a political newb, but come on, anyone with two eyes has seen the PoliGAF threads inundated in the last couple months with people hopping on board for the gifs and the memes and the trash talking and because Obama is a bit of a cultural phenomenon. There are good reasons why one should be concerned about a Clinton vice presidency and there are good points to be made for other candidates. However, most of the anti-Clinton VP arguments here can be summed up as, "She's a bitch, and I'm still pissed off about some things she did."

Politics, and American politics specifically, has got to be the most emotionally raw "game" on the planet. It can and usually is nasty, divisive, undercutting, crude, dismissive and so on. It's not the place for the sensitive and easily wounded. Democracy in general is trying to find the best solution for everyone, it's about conceding some points to gain on others. It's compromise and practicality. Idealism is what gets a lot of us up in the morning but idealism isn't what gets jobs done. As a party we can not be overly idealistic again as we were in 2004 when we got behind a solid democrat but a candidate with hideous national appeal in John Kerry, who went on to get trounced. I'm not sitting with my head in my hands again the day after the election wondering how the fuck we lost. Idealism is great but winning is better right now. Pick the ticket with the broadest voter appeal and let's win the election.

GhaleonEB

Great visual of the primary delegates won, from beginning to end.

0608-nat-webRECONSTRUCT.jpg

It just shows how clearly Clinton lost this in February, between Super Tuesday and March 4th in Texas/Ohio.

VALIS said:
However, most of the anti-Clinton VP arguments here can be summed up as, "She's a bitch, and I'm still pissed off about some things she did."

From previous page:

would be the first woman president, that's real change
35 years of experience
sniper fire
mark penn
flag burning
kyl-lieberman
defending iraq authorization
DLC
obama is elitist, says the rich yale lady
...as far as I know
yes she can
it took president lyndon johnson to sign the civil rights act into law
geraldine ferraro
commander in chief threshhold
"dream ticket"
attempted and actual caucus strongarming
mccain is ready, i am ready, obama has a speech
cannot win without inciting schism
might incite schism anyway
i did not support nafta (supported nafta)
shame on you barack obama
^^^that fucking red suit i bet someone calculated that to look more aggressive
putin has no soul (putin: "at minimum, a head of state should have a head")
harold ickes
campaign debt to small businesses
continuing to raise hopes and solicit donations for a campaign she cannot win
what if the republicans bring up his COCAINE use
change agent
most states not "significant"
after losing iowa caucuses: caucuses are undemocratic
hillary 4 u & me
hillary leaves the band
^ none of her youtubes have comments enabled
victory celebration in florida
did not withdraw name from ballot in michigan
seat florida and michigan delegates or the people will be disenfranchised
obama wants to disenfranchise you
superdelegates please override the popular vote
pledged delegates are not technically pledged
*cries* ...some of us are ready, and some of us aren't
corporate board of walmart
hour-long waste of cash on Lifetime
no planning beyond super tuesday
speeches don't put food on the table *loans self 5 mil from speech mioney*
i'm the only candidate offering universal health care (its not UHC, also kucinich/gravel)
if MY pastor had said such things
oozing entitlement out of every pore of her smug face
lobbyists are "real americans"
PAC money
mysterious clinton library contributions
fucked over health care once already
brought peace to ireland
no full repeal of DOMA
loyalty > competence
bush/clinton/bush/clinton
bringing up Hamas and Farrakhan at debates
automatic delegates"
making attack ads on the "bitter" comments

Also, Peter Paul.

The whole Republican angle would be to just play Hillary soundbites ad nauseum, saying "His VP candidate didn't believe in him, so why should YOU?"

Zonar

Does anyone have a link to all of Obama's speeches? I just want to hear every time he has gave a speech. I only need 2008's if possible.

his website only has a few.

VALIS

Stumpokapow said:
It's not uncommon that the Vice Presidential candidate has low name recognition. It's not uncommon that the cabinet has NO name recognition.

Enjoyable post and I agree with a lot of what you said, but I differ with you here. I agree, people slotting big names into cabinet positions is like making up fantasy baseball rosters and not very realistic. And usually, it's a debate without a definitive conclusion on how important a VP is to the presidential candidate.

Except this time. For Obama, I think the choice of a VP is crucial. I can not think of a nominated candidate in my lifetime who is going to have a tougher job appealing to America as a whole as Obama. Personally, I don't know shit from rural America as I've lived my whole life within shouting distance of New York City, but people sure have talked a lot about rural America in the last 10 years, and pandered to it, and asked its opinion on every topic under the sun. While it would be wrong to say most rural areas of this country reject Obama, it would be even more incorrect to assume these rural people who voted for Clinton will just hop on board Obama's train now. New York democrats, or California dems, sure. Pennsylvania or Michigan or Florida or Ohio? Not so easy. He needs help. And he's going to make up a lot of this help himself by touring the country and letting people get to know him, which always works out in his favor, but you're only going to visit so many places in 5 months and influence so many people.

A pick like Webb or Sebelius or Kaine or any number of these relatively small time figures and you have twice the work ahead of you -- letting people get to know and learn about Obama AND his vice presidential candidate. Why take that on? How much do you expect to accomplish in a few months?

Furthermore, expanding on what I said in my last post, a lot of election year politics comes down to flash and soundbites because the majority of voters aren't well informed. Who's got the flash and who's got the soundbites? Obama/Clinton? Or Obama/Webb/Sebelius/etc.?

We are always too idealistic in this party, always wanting every little piece to fit in perfectly. Most conservatives don't like McCain, and what happened? He won the nomination, they all shut up and got on board. It may not be the most robust support you've ever seen, but they're not picking his candidacy apart trying to micro-analyze every little facet and decision. It's time for us to do the same. Two democratic presidencies out of the last seven. Can we admit as a party we're too fussy and too unwilling to sacrifice smaller issues for the larger picture? I mean, if you told me there was another VP candidate who carries the same broad appeal as Hillary, I'm all ears. I just don't see who he or she is. I mean, after Hillary my choices are Wesley Clark and Sam Nunn purely for demographic reasons and the broad appeal boxes they tick off. That's what I'm all about right now: Broad Appeal.

Cheebs

theBishop said:

Kerry discovered him. Kerry was in Chicago for a fundraiser before Obama won the nomination to be the democrat for the senate seat, back when Obama was third in the senate primary polls. Kerry saw one of Obama's events and was impressed by him and thats why he picked him for the convention.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What do you guys expect the popular vote to look like in November? Pretty close, like in 2004, right?

Actually I'd say Obama should win the popular vote handily. However that doesn't mean Obama will win the electoral college of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom