• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
Gaborn said:
Well, you seemed to be implying that his race would have something to do with how the situation is "different" now.
You're in denial if you think it doesn't.

Gaborn said:
I disagree with him on principle, not his race and I don't like suggestions that if he loses it's because he's black.
Okay. Show me where I suggested that he'd lose because he's black.

Gaborn said:
He's not going to lose the election because he's black. Don't imply it.
Where the hell did I "imply" that? Lately you've resorted, increasingly frequently, to making up arguments that your opponents never espoused while ignoring the ones that they have. I'd thank you not to try with me.

Tamanon

Banned
Zeed said:
I'd bet you anything it happens if Obama loses the Presidency but wins the popular vote.

If anything shady like 2000 in Florida happens...I'd expect riots. Seriously.

Hell, I'd probably take to the streets in that case myself.

Gaborn

Zeed said:
You're in denial if you think it doesn't.

Okay. Show me where I suggested that he'd lose because he's black.
2. Obama is black, making this an especially sensitive election, what with the ugly history of electoral shenanigans lurking in the background.

Which... obviously has some historical basis. Many blacks were historically actively disenfranchised (and I can't say it never happens, though certainly not exclusively in black communities, even today). Historically blacks faced literacy tests, poll taxes, and all sorts of hurdles to discourage them. They faced lynch mobs, firehoses, and many more. But it certainly SOUNDS like you're raising that specter of disenfranchisement of voters in the event Obama loses, because you'd claim it was part of a history of electoral shenanigans, when the issues Obama is likely to face in the campaign have nothing to do with his race.

Edit - if I'm wrong in my interpretation Zeed, and I'm open to that possibility I'd appreciate a clarification of that point you made.

Zeed

Banned
Gaborn said:
But it certainly SOUNDS like you're raising that specter of disenfranchisement of voters in the event Obama loses, because you'd claim it was part of a history of electoral shenanigans, when the issues Obama is likely to face in the campaign have nothing to do with his race.
Look at the context of my statement. Actually, just read it, period. I said people would be pissed off, more so than they would be with a white candidate. If you think that's not true you're straight up in denial.

How did you get from there to assuming that I was setting up a preemptive racial excuse in case Obama lost?

If Obama loses like Gore did I'd blame the usual suspects rather than racism, but you do understand that not everyone will take it that way, right?

Gaborn

Zeed said:
Look at the context of my statement. Actually, just read it, period. I said people would be pissed off, more so than they would be with a white candidate. If you think that's not true you're straight up in denial.

How did you get from there to assuming that I was setting up a preemptive racial excuse in case Obama lost?

A loss is a loss, I think some people would be more upset, but I think the vast majority of those would be upset if he lost, period. Bringing race into just adds a whole unnecessary dimension. I guess I misinterpreted what you said, and I apologize for that though. I maintain that it'd be hard for people to be more upset after losing a third election in a row to Republicans (assuming he loses that is).

Zeed

Banned
Gaborn said:
A loss is a loss, I think some people would be more upset, but I think the vast majority of those would be upset if he lost, period.
I believe that how he loses is almost as important as if he does, as far as potential backlash is concerned.

I guess I misinterpreted what you said, and I apologize for that though.
K!

Cheebs said:
WHy in the world does McCain advertise so much on GAF? But never Obama? It's odd
Because Obama doesn't need to advertise on GAF, silly.

Also his online campaign is a lot more viral, a lot more effective, than shitty banner ads.

Zeed

Banned
Cheebs said:
Terry McCaliuffe told MyDD today he is going to headline a couple fundraisers for Obama.
Wasn't he going to go get really drunk or something?

It actually kind of feels good to have that asshole on our side. God I hate him, but now the Republicans can share my rage.

Cheebs

Zeed said:
It actually kind of feels good to have that asshole on our side. God I hate him, but now the Republicans can share my rage.
How can you hate him now that he is on our side? His absolutely insane optimistic and sheer insanity in interviews is hilarious and we can take it in good stride now that he'll be making the circuits making absurdly optimistic predictions about Obama.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, I ordered 25 bumper stickers, I'll keep five and give the other 20 to my Brother in Orlando (He's at UCF).

Cheebs said:
Remember for like all of 2007 we thought it'd be Rudy vs. Hillary? lolz

Ron Paul did a better campaign then Rudy :lol

It looks like the media bias for Obama and against Clinton really won out in the end.

ObamaHalo1.jpg

vs.

HillaryDevil.jpg

Cheebs

SecretDestroyer said:
It looks like the media bias for Obama and against Clinton really won out in the end.

ObamaHalo1.jpg

vs.

HillaryDevil.jpg
uh....the media for an entire year in the lead up to Iowa claimed Hillary was unstoppable.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Cheebs said:
uh....the media for an entire year in the lead up to Iowa claimed Hillary was unstoppable.

I think he was joking... I think

Cheebs said:

Sure, and after Iowa he became the media's new golden boy.

Messianic Obama photos are about as common as stupid looking bush photos...

BushDumbLook2.jpg

Need I remind you of:

ObamaHalo2.jpg

As NBC’s Brian Williams said, “...it’s hard to stay objective covering [Senator Obama].”

Zeed

Banned
Oh boy here we go again with the media shit.

PS. Terry McAulliffe sounds really hoarse today. He needs his voice back.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DrForester said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else want McCain to win the popular vote and Obama win the Electoral College?

I think epic lulz would be had.

Yes, there would be nothing more hilarious than a 2nd Supreme Court intervention re. the will of the people.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cheebs said:
WHy in the world does McCain advertise so much on GAF? But never Obama? It's odd
I look at it this way: McCain is funding a website with a huge Obama following, and he's more than welcome to continue doing so.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obama's going to get so much money he's going to buy everyone in America a new car. he'll have Oprah give them away on her show.

Gaborn

Zeed said:
Giuliani, silly.

lol, well yes, but geez, you wouldn't let me get a cheap shot in? In all seriousness I hate Giuliani with a BURNING passion and would've happily voted for Obama or.............. Hillary (that one hurt) just to see that man go down in flames if I had to.

TDG

Banned
SecretDestroyer said:
Sure, and after Iowa he became the media's new golden boy.
I know, if only the media had tirelessly chased after stories that hit Obama hard, or had finally found a scandal that hurt him, and talked about it for over a month, or had camped out at his church in the hopes of having something happen that would hurt him... to the point that Obama had to leave his church.

Too bad they were too busy taking pictures of him in heroic poses. For goodness sakes, take off your blinders.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
That fox talking head made a good point. Hillary doesn't smile during the speech when talking about Barack. She's having a tough time doing this.

Zeed

Banned
Gaborn said:
lol, well yes, but geez, you wouldn't let me get a cheap shot in? In all seriousness I hate Giuliani with a BURNING passion and would've happily voted for Obama or.............. Hillary (that one hurt) just to see that man go down in flames if I had to.
Giuliani really pisses me off. I actually liked him as mayor, in certain respects. Then he had to start acting like a truly repulsive fearmongering asshole when he started running for President. Man I felt betrayed and ashamed he ever came from my city.

Trakdown

ralexand said:
That fox talking head made a good point. Hillary doesn't smile during the speech when talking about Barack. She's having a tough time doing this.

Well, c'mon. She just lost a race that would have made her President. She still swallowed her pride enough to do it, it's asking a lot to feel good about it. Besides- she just NOW ended her campaign.

This is going to take some time. I bet we'll see more of her staff (McAuliffe, maybe Bill) out working for Obama before we see her going at it full force.

Cheebs

I just finished this book today that just came out and I HIGHLY recommend it to PoliGAF. One of the best political books I have read in a good few years. It is about Bobby Kennedy's primary campaign in 1968. Brilliant book.

51YRrH6HpvL._SS500_.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
heh, Ed Rendell lays out pretty clearly he won't be VP on CNN.

"I learned long ago I'm not a good number two. I can't stay on message, I've been my own boss for too many years. I do not think I'd want VP."

There goes my favorite choice, outside of someone like Richardson.

Diablos

Meh. The media is overhyping the shit out of everything right now because there's nothing left to talk about. All of the primaries are over, all of the drama is over, Obama is the nominee.

I found it amusing that a recent poll suggested that Obama has the same white, blue collar support as Clinton, Gore, AND Kerry did -- even though everyone in the MSM has been whining about them not liking Obama as much and how it's a "serious problem" and omg the world is ending. Also, I think their obsession over Obama not getting the female vote is greatly exaggerated.

Tamanon said:
BTW, this marks the first time since 1980 that a Clinton has lost an election.
Yep. No wonder Hillary had such a hard time letting go. Still, the whole ordeal was crazy. Every time I think of Terry (political Internet troll brought to life) and Icky Harold Ickes I'm going to cringe.

Hitokage said:
I look at it this way: McCain is funding a website with a huge Obama following, and he's more than welcome to continue doing so.
Bwahahaha. Who would have ever thought McCain would help NeoGAF, a forum with a pretty liberal userbase? Never thought of it this way, but it is pretty awesome. Thanks McCain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom