• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
worldrunover said:
McCain is trying to paint him as too disconnected and elite for working class Americans... the problem is nothing in Obama's rhetoric has suggested that.

As opposed to the blueblood son of a famous General, married to an heiress. Nothing more blue collar and working class than that.

Fucking ridiculous bumbling old man. He's surrounding himself with idiots too. Karl Rove better just take the job proper instead of standing behind the curtain as he's doing now.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Mandark said:
I'd like to take this opportunity to make the millionth joke about a prospective Carl Weathers gubernatorial campaign.

Seconded. I'll print up some bumper stickers.

Diablos

librasox said:
Um, she voted against FISA, dude.
I really do wonder what she would have done had she won the nomination, though.

And uh,

9k0575.gif

This basically hits the nail right on the head.

If Barack Obama gave new meaning to the term “political celebrity,” then John McCain helped define it.

He emerged as the most popular Republican in Hollywood following his 2000 presidential primary defeat, winning more screen time than the rest of Congress combined. McCain made cameos in “Wedding Crashers” and “24,” saw his memoir turned into a popular biopic on A&E, and appeared more than 30 times on late night comedy shows.

So this week, when McCain cast Obama’s celebrity as a disqualifier, it seemed like a curious turn.

Just one day before McCain released an advertisement interspersing pictures of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears with footage of Obama addressing 200,000 people in Berlin, actor Jon Voight told Variety that McCain had “many great, intelligent, talented Academy-winning actors standing by, awaiting a major press conference to show their support.”

“[The ad] is a bit ironic given that McCain has been the most pop-culture savvy Republican candidate in quite some time,” said Ted Johnson, managing editor of Variety and editor of the blog Wilshire and Washington, which monitors the intersection of celebrity and politics.

The McCain campaign continued to hammer at Obama on Friday with the release of a very sarcastic Web ad that at one point cuts to an image of Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea before posing the question: “Barack Obama may be The One, but is he ready to lead?”

The Spears-Hilton ad hits a similar note, describing Obama as “the biggest celebrity in the world.”

The Republican National Committee piled on, launching a Web site Friday called Who Said It? Celebrity Edition that features a multiple-choice quiz in which people must identify whether Obama or a celebrity made certain, often vacuous, statements.

It’s a striking line of attack for McCain, who’s accepted without complaint the “celebrity” epithet from journalists for four decades.

“John’s been a celebrity ever since he was shot down,” former McCain strategist John Weaver told The Atlantic earlier this week, “whatever that means.”

Yet, like the way fresh starlets push aside aging actors, political hot shots from years past (think former President Bill Clinton, often described as a “rock star” in his day) have been overshadowed by the newest crop of talent in this election year. This sort of churning is typical during presidential campaigns, said Matt Bennett, communications director for Gen. Wesley Clark’s 2004 presidential campaign and co-founder of Third Way, a progressive policy group.

“McCain was famous for a politician,” Bennett said. “Obama has almost transcended that, and has become famous as a famous person which is why they are comparing him to Paris Hilton.”

Since 2000, Bennett went on, McCain has enjoyed “enough fame and authority and celebrity” to aid candidates and organizations with ads that simply involve him speaking into a camera.

McCain started on the public stage with the pedigree of a family whose name graces a naval ship and a Mississippi National Guard training center.

With his father serving as a top admiral, John McCain first became a household name when he was captured in Vietnam, and even more of one upon his release five years later. The New York Times featured him on its front page. He wrote an acclaimed 12,000-word, first person account for U.S. News and World Report. President Richard Nixon feted him.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12260.html
more at link

Ripclawe

Banned
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/08/mccain-hit-obam.html

Britney Spears? Paris Hilton? Moses?

The McCain campaign’s ads comparing Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., to those figures may have prompted a chuckle, but Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., told ABC News’ Diane Sawyer he’s dead serious about the issues in the ads.

“We’ll continue to have humor in our campaigns,” McCain said. “Those ads really were focused on two things. They were focused on the fact that Sen. Obama wants to raise taxes, and I’m opposed of it. And he opposes an energy policy which would work, including offshore drilling. So the message there is there’re stark differences between myself and Sen. Obama.”

But McCain wasn’t done joking, either.

“I kind of enjoy ‘em,” McCain said of the ads. “You gotta have a sense of humor in this.

“You know, a few days ago, Sen. Obama said he challenged me to a duel," McCain said. “I’m for the light sabers as weapons of choice.”

Speaking of a much more serious tiff this week about whether or not Obama played the race card in the campaign, McCain seemed to defend his team’s strong response.

“We’re not gonna allow racism to come into this campaign in any form,” McCain said. “And so I’m gonna respond if it comes up again.”

On another hot campaign issue, McCain said "the American people will make a judgment" on whether his campaign's pressure prompted Obama’s apparent shift this week toward allowing drilling for oil in U.S. coastal waters as part of a comprehensive energy plan.

But McCain claimed his opponent’s position remains much different from his.

“Well, the fact is he still opposes offshore drilling,” McCain said. “He opposes nuclear power. He opposes most every measure, incentives to build a battery-driven car. So, I’m not surprised that he’s hedging on this issue. But the fact is he still opposes offshore drilling. We need to drill now and drill immediately, and it’s disgraceful that the Democrat-controlled Congress goes on a month-long recess without acting on energy.

“I would hope that he would urge the speaker of the House to at least have a vote on it,” McCain added.

“Sen. Obama is still opposed to a comprehensive energy plan,” McCain claimed. “It seems to me the only thing he wants us to do is inflate tires” to improve gas mileage.

“You know, a few days ago, Sen. Obama said he challenged me to a duel," McCain said. “I’m for the light sabers as weapons of choice.”
Off course, to McCain "light sabers" are those newfangled devices that we call "flashlights".

Tamanon

Banned
worldrunover said:
When did Obama challenge McCain to a duel? I must have missed that.

In Missouri a couple days ago, in his Wild Bill Hickock riff.

Although...."the lightsabers", really? Don't try too hard McCain.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tamanon said:
In Missouri a couple days ago, in his Wild Bill Hickock riff.

Although...."the lightsabers", really? Don't try too hard McCain.

If he was smart, he would have said he wanted to use "Metal Gears". That way he would have gotten all of our votes instantaneously.

quaere

Cheebs said:
Exactly. Obama said constantly in the primaries he could work with republicans but hillary kept saying we gotta hit them hard. The dems picked Obama, so stop complaining when he works with republicans. Obama ran on unity, Hillary ran on revenge. Unity won so thats what we'll get.
Obama said:
On the national level, bipartisanship usually means Democrats ignore the needs of the poor and abandon the idea that government can play a role in issues of poverty, race discrimination, sex discrimination or environmental protection
Wonder if he still believes? Remember, Bush promised bipartisanship too during the 2000 elections.

GhaleonEB

Good news: Ted Stevens is losing to the Democratic challenger by ~20 points in two polls. Better news: he's beating his Republican primary challenger by 40 points. :lol

TDG

Banned
aswedc said:
Wonder if he still believes? Remember, Bush promised bipartisanship too during the 2000 elections.
Let's be fair though, he's not criticising the idea of bipartisanship in that quote, he's actually talking about how democrats were "participating" in bipartisanship at that time. And, at that time was 1996.

And, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say with the Bush reference.

I'll just reiterate what others have said. If you wanted a "fighter" for your liberal causes against the evil repugs, you should have voted for Hilary. Though I wonder how hard she would have fought if she was the actual nominee. Hilary took on the "fighter" persona in the last half the primary during the time when she switched campaign messages every 5-6 days to see what would stick. When she was in the senate, she definitely played the role of centrist democrat.

I'm also ashamed at the media for reporting it as "Obama supports off-shore drilling", "Obama shifts position on off-shore drilling" and etc. He simply said he's willing to comprise to get things done, but he hasn't become an advocate of off-shore drilling. As someone else already said, why is everything so black and white. I can understand why campaigns and partisans make things black or white, but I really wish the media was smart enough to cut through the noise.

Finally, I agree that McCain may get a temporary boost from these negative ads, but it may hurt him in the long run. He's coming off very disrespectful to another presidential candidate by comparing Obama to empty vapid celebrities. Obama so far has been very respectful of McCain even when he's disagreed with him.

I agree the debates could be a major turning point. Not because Obama will "destroy" McCain with his debate skills. Let's face it, on the whole Obama did just about average in the democratic debates. But I think McCain will have a meltdown. In the Republican debates, McCain either came off as clueless or extremely snarky and showed visible contempt for the people he disliked (Mit Romney). All of that will play very poorly standing next to Obama and it will be when the whole country is watching.

Also by the McCain campaign comparing Obama to a vapid celebrity they're inadvertently lowering expectations for Obama, so Obama will gain points in the debate just by not sounding like an airhead.

Tamanon

Banned
I eagerly await someone like Moveon making a commercial comparing John McCain to senile old celebrities to hear if he still thinks "it's all just a little humor" "Have some fun!"

TDG

Banned
Dax01 said:
Obama is lying?
No no, I'm sure that's not what he means. I am sure that he's not pointing to the broken promises of one of the biggest liars our country has dealt with in a long time as evidence that Obama is lying about this, especially considering that the Dems are more likely to cater to the right than the GOP is to cater to the left. He can't be suggesting that. It would just be too ridiculous.

As much as I hate to say it... Obama is getting beat pretty badly right now. Not sure why he isn't being a bit more pro-active ... but maybe he is waiting. Hopefully.

Karma Kramer said:
As much as I hate to say it... Obama is getting beat pretty badly right now. Not sure why he isn't being a bit more pro-active ... but maybe he is waiting. Hopefully.

Obama is saying plenty but the media will only pose dubious questions about him whereas McCain's myriad gaffes are either brushed under the carpet or expanded to make Obama equally guilty (re: the 'going negative' thing).

Tamanon

Banned
Karma Kramer said:

Really, what can he do more besides go negative? He puts out response ads, he speaks out against it, he talks about the issues, he tries to steer the coverage back to the issues, but he doesn't have control of the media, they just want to talk about the horserace crap.

who's tired of Obama-talk and wants to move on to more McCain VP discussion? anyone?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ixue_w07cy6Kgv-PaT6jwytiDm5QD92AEF880
U.S. Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia has been asked for "personal documents" by John McCain's campaign, a Republican knowledgeable with the discussions said Saturday.

Cantor, 45, the chief deputy minority whip in the House, has been mentioned among several Republicans as a possible running mate for McCain, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

The Republican familiar with the conversations between Cantor and the McCain campaign said Cantor has been asked to turn over documents, but did not know specifically what records were sought.
and you can read the rest.

Eric Cantor, VP running mate of John McCain. how does that sound to those interested? I'll also toss this in there...
- He is 100% Jewish
- He has a 100% rating from NARAL (anti-abortion/anti-stem cell research folk)
- He is from Virginia, a state Obama is making a strong play for

Also, they mentioned (I think on CNN) that Ted Stevens requested his day in court be pushed up to October which is good news for the democrats and a big finger to the republican party. There's your October surprise. :lol

I hope it gets real ugly in court.

On a serious note though, *if* the media starts holding McCain to equal scrutiny as they have Obama and get off their McCain man-crush this could really put McCain on the defensive. Additionally, if Obama slaughters him in the debates, expect the stuff to hit the an big time. McCain would then have nowhere else to go. The 2004 election could be potentially tame compared to what they may try to pull on Obama.

I fully expect 527s to pop up in increasing numbers as we get closer to the election. I also expect Fox News to be in full character assassination mode by October. By then, the shift will be from a referendum on Obama to a referendum on Rev. Wright.

Things are going to get ugly so be prepared for the GAF meltdown. :lol

kkaabboomm said:
who's tired of Obama-talk and wants to move on to more McCain VP discussion? anyone?

Eric Cantor, VP running mate of John McCain. how does that sound to those interested? I'll also toss this in there...
- He is 100% Jewish

bububu he's younger than Obama.

Tamanon said:
Really, what can he do more besides go negative? He puts out response ads, he speaks out against it, he talks about the issues, he tries to steer the coverage back to the issues, but he doesn't have control of the media, they just want to talk about the horserace crap.

Not really an excuse. He has got to get back on the offense. He needs to get creative and tough. Theres a difference between being tough and dirty... and Democrats need to learn how to do it.

Biden is a good example of a candidate who can be tough on his opponents but fair.

TDG

Banned
kkaabboomm said:

- He is 100% Jewish
I think the real question is: is he popular?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I come bearing a gift.

This was taken off Dyer Place in the hills of Laguna Beach which is one of the most expensive places in the most republican area in the world to live.

2ekk5fa.jpg

FWIW this is the view looking the other way

2itj8yw.jpg

Have a nice day everyone.

Obama had a bad week, but it wasn't due to his own mistakes or missteps. It's just McCain successfully took control of the media message.

But I don't think it will last too much longer. I think the media felt like they had to be critical of Obama after the European trip, so they played along with the McCain campaign. But I think the media will only go along with it for so long before it becomes tired.

Besides if Obama keeps taking a hit in the polls, he'll soon be the underdog again. I think it's actually good if he doesn't peak too early. Just as long as he doesn't get Swifted Boated in August. He can take some hits but he needs to make sure he doesn't get defined by the McCain campaign.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
QVT said:
I come bearing a gift.

This was taken off Dyer Place in the hills of Laguna Beach which is one of the most expensive places in the most republican area in the world to live.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2ekk5fa.jpg

FWIW this is the view looking the other way

http://i34.tinypic.com/2itj8yw.jpg
Have a nice day everyone.

Bet you they had a much bigger home but had to foreclose, so they settled on something "less".

quaere

the disgruntled gamer said:
No no, I'm sure that's not what he means. I am sure that he's not pointing to the broken promises of one of the biggest liars our country has dealt with in a long time as evidence that Obama is lying about this, especially considering that the Dems are more likely to cater to the right than the GOP is to cater to the left. He can't be suggesting that. It would just be too ridiculous.
Wow have you been on the Internet too long. Not everything people say is so they can prove a point or win an argument.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The Chosen One said:
I agree the debates could be a major turning point. Not because Obama will "destroy" McCain with his debate skills. Let's face it, on the whole Obama did just about average in the democratic debates. But I think McCain will have a meltdown. In the Republican debates, McCain either came off as clueless or extremely snarky and showed visible contempt for the people he disliked (Mit Romney). All of that will play very poorly standing next to Obama and it will be when the whole country is watching.

I think in some ways it's even more superficial than that- McCain is just going to look very very old compared to Obama. Seeing them actually on the same stage talking to each other is going to be quite the jolt for those who've only seen ads and talking points.

Honestly, Presidential campaigns really aren't complicated- the electorate will vote for the person they like more. That's why Bush won-believe it or not, he came across as very likable.

Right now, people are still unsure about Obama and like what they remember of McCain. But at the debates, Obama is going to come across a lot better than McCain by just being himself.

TDG

Banned
aswedc said:
Wow have you been on the Internet too long. Not everything people say is so they can prove a point or win an argument.
So then... what? You weren't attempting to make a point, you were... posting to see your own avatar? I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what your intention is here.

And, I should point out that what you quoted was a response to what someone thought your point was.

Dax01 said:
Don't try to spin this around and make this about him. The real question here is: are you popular?
Boy, I hope not. Apparently, that's the kiss of death in this country.

kkaabboomm said:

- He is 100% Jewish

Wouldn't the 100% mean he's for abortion?

That would be an interesting move on McCain's part. Kaine just doesn't seem to be the attack dog type. His various ties to Virginia though (he and his wife) will help but even more so, his fluency in spanish could be a real pull for Latinos nationally and could widen the gap even more in Obama's favor.

Evan Bayh doesn't seem the attack dog type either. If Biden was from one of the swing states and was popular I think he would easily be a lock.

Tamanon

Banned
maximum360 said:
Wouldn't the 100% mean he's for abortion?

That would be an interesting move on McCain's part. Kaine just doesn't seem to be the attack dog type. His various ties to Virginia though (he and his wife) will help but even more so, his fluency in spanish could be a real pull for Latinos nationally and could widen the gap even more in Obama's favor.

Evan Bayh doesn't seem the attack dog type either. If Biden was from one of the swing states and was popular I think he would easily be a lock.

Yeah I thought NARAL was a pro-choice group, unless it's a 100% bad rating from them.

I've always though Ohio would be a toss-up but the numbers in Michigan (+2 Obama) worry me. I'm hoping that Obama uses the Clinton's smartly. He should have them camp out in rural parts of Ohio, PA, and MI exclusively and campaign for him. If they can help him hold those, he's lock for November and has the potential for a landslide if he can pull out places like VA, NM, IA, CO, and maybe even FL, IN, and NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom