• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
McCain is giving out total BS answers, and the crowd is eating it up.

"I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth"
"$7000 tax credits per child"

They are the same thing.

"I don't want to increase taxes at all. Spending is the problem."
"oh em gee, we're spending $3 million on DNA research (chump change)."

So he doesn't answer the question, and he complains about scientific funding. What about the 1 trillion spent on your parade in the Middle East, you dumb fuck?

GhaleonEB

teh_pwn said:
So he doesn't answer the question, and he complains about scientific funding. What about the 1 trillion spent on your parade in the Middle East, you dumb fuck?
I think dissing science is a dog whistle to creationism.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
JayDubya said:
That crowd is pretty friendly.

I fully expect him to say "I'm John McCain and I approve this message" after saying something substance-less and get a huge ovation.

Cloudy

Banned
I actually like McCain and I think he's a good guy. BUT how can anyone not see that he'll just be a Republican puppet and nothing will change if he wins?

reilo

Cloudy said:
I actually like McCain and I think he's a good guy. BUT how can anyone not see that he'll just be a Republican puppet and nothing will change if he wins?

If you're making $5mil per year, he's your candidate.

teh_pwn said:
"I don't want to increase taxes at all. Spending is the problem."
"oh em gee, we're spending $3 million on DNA research (chump change)."

SCIENCE BAD
GOD GOOD
SCIENCE EVIL LIBRUL STUFF
PRAYER GOOD

No wonder the country has been going downhill.

reilo

McCain wants to talk about Russia v. Georgia.

This is a stump speech for him.

JayDubya

Banned
speculawyer said:
SCIENCE BAD
GOD GOOD
SCIENCE EVIL LIBRUL STUFF
PRAYER GOOD

No wonder the country has been going downhill.

Please defend spending $3 million in taxes on studying the bear genome. Since I know (or hope) you won't, your response to that quoted section seems ridiculous.

Cloudy said:

All things considered, a Giuliani administration would have been worse.

McCain is, relativelty speaking, is a lesser evil.

reilo

JayDubya said:
Please defend spending $3 million in taxes on studying the bear genome.

Please defend throwing away dead embryos instead of using them for research that could potentially cure the gravest of illnesses?

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm out at the grocery store now. Is this as bad as you all are making i?

McCain ought to feel like a celebrity right now.

Tamanon

Banned
Instigator said:
All things considered, a Giuliani administration would have been worse.

McCain is, relativelty speaking, is a lesser evil.

I dunno, he seems hellbent on forcing a new confrontation with Russia.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
McCain would be a disaster if elected simply because he seems determined to start a war with Russia.

Russia has definitely gone too far in Georgia, but McCain's take on the conflict is very one sided and confrontational with Russia. Russia isn't some 3rd world nation. A war with them would be devastating.

I love how Obama explained his positions as well as his faith, along with showing a knowledge of that faith. Here we have Mccain relating half of his answers to being a POW, glossing over his moral failings, not explaining why he has a certain position, and giving stump speeches.... = Huge applause from the Christian crowd...

all I can do is sigh.

reilo

teh_pwn said:
McCain would be a disaster if elected simply because he seems determined to start a war with Russia.

Russia has definitely gone too far in Georgia, but McCain's take on the conflict is very one sided and confrontational with Russia. Russia isn't some 3rd world nation. A war with them would be devastating.

It's funny. He mentioned how Reagan "won the cold war without firing a single bullet" [LOL. He's mentioning it for a third time now], but he wants to confront Russia with force?

JayDubya said:
Please defend spending $3 million in taxes on studying the bear genome. Since I know (or hope) you won't, your response to that quoted section seems ridiculous.
I'm not watching the show, I'm just reading this thread. But I'll take 3 million on the bear genome over $1 spent in Iraq. Perhaps mapping the bear genome and comparing to other species will help convince some of these lugheads that evolution is real.

Tamanon said:
I dunno, he seems hellbent on forcing a new confrontation with Russia.

Giuliani is also a hawk so the scenario would likely be the same, especially considering the fear-mongering with Russia is at the very least a campaign tactic rather than a genuine recommendation for war.

JayDubya

Banned
reilo said:
Please defend throwing away dead embryos instead of using them for research that could potentially cure the gravest of illnesses?

I'm not sure what assumptions you're making but since I'm always up for a tussle, I'll try to respond to this as literally as possible and devil's advocate where neccessary. Dead embryos, utilitarian argument to use their bodies as we will, etc, etc, I get the gist of your setup.

Very common ethical question that follows the trolley problem, typically...

Do we have the right to take the organs out of any corpse we want to save lives?

speculawyer said:
I'm not watching the show, I'm just reading this thread. But I'll take 3 million on the bear genome over $1 spent in Iraq. Perhaps mapping the bear genome and comparing to other species will help convince some of these lugheads that evolution is real.

I'd rather save the $3,000,001.

reilo

speculawyer said:

We've found cures for human diseases by studying other animals and species.

JayDubya said:
I'm not sure what assumptions you're making but since I'm always up for a tussle, I'll try to respond to this as literally as possible. Dead embryos, utilitarian argument to use their bodies as we will, etc, etc, I get the gist.

Do we have the right to take the organs out of any corpse we want to save lives?

These embryos were created in the lab using DNA, not in the womb.

JayDubya said:

Federal funding for the sciences are put in place to entice the best and brightest to remain here, as well as come here. There is a process in which scientist go through to get the money. A commitment to provided funds for all research makes great strides in ensuring that scientist in fields that seem more "helpful" to us will remain here, and the fruits of their labor will be accessible to the American people.

AniHawk

JayDubya said:

I'm not sure how this works... were they donated to science? My grandfather donated his corpse to science. It's not like anyone snatched him from just before he was about to be cremated or anything.

reilo

Some jackass spent an enormous amount of money studying bacteria nearly 80 years ago. The hell do we need to study bacteria for?

250px-Penicillin-core.png

Cloudy

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
I love how Obama explained his positions as well as his faith, along with showing a knowledge of that faith. Here we have Mccain relating half of his answers to being a POW, glossing over his moral failings, not explaining why he has a certain position, and giving stump speeches.... = Huge applause from the Christian crowd...

all I can do is sigh.

People are so stupid. Even if I was Republican (and I have many Republican views lol), I would be disappointed with this candidate.

Why is politics the only area where superior intellect somehow makes you less desirable to the masses?

mj1108

Cloudy said:
Why is politics the only area where superior intellect somehow makes you a less desirable to the masses?

Because most of America is stupid when it comes to Politics. They base their vote off ads or what they hear from friends/family instead of doing actual research themselves.

I loved the way how the rev. said orphans around the world not having mommies and daddies. Would've been awesome if Obama asked him a question that if heterosexual couples do not want to adopt and homosexual couples do, would you allow it?

Tamanon

Banned
While McCain certainly won the crowd over because he already starts in their corner, I can't see this helping him too much. People who had questions about him really didn't get any answers whatsoever. Everything was a stump speech anecdote.

JayDubya

Banned
reilo said:
These embryos were created in the lab using DNA, not in the womb.

Uh-huh. And?

Byakuya769 said:
Federal funding for the sciences are put in place to entice the best and brightest to remain here, as well as come here. There is a process in which scientist go through to get the money. A commitment to provided funds for all research makes great strides in ensuring that scientist in fields that seem more "helpful" to us will remain here, and the fruits of their labor will be accessible to the American people.

Uh-huh. So, without federal funding for bear genome research, would it be done? Why or why not?

Dax01 said:
It's not like they are being used anymore...

Indeed. So why bother with asking people to be organ donors, right? [/obvious bait]

AniHawk said:
I'm not sure how this works... were they donated to science? My grandfather donated his corpse to science. It's not like anyone snatched him from just before he was about to be cremated or anything.

That's like being an organ donor, in that you consented. In practice, what this usually means is that the body goes to a medical school's gross anatomy class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom