• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Kerry got 88%, why cant Obama improve on that?

And yeah, I got accepted. Training is pretty soon.
Mccain is not Bush and the conservative democrat/dead-ender/racist block is quite likely larger than 10%.

e: not that there won't be conservative democrats voting Obama

harSon

Banned
NewLib said:
I wasnt saying dont tax the rich people. I just think the bar needs to be raised to about $400k for high income.

200k isnt that much if you have say two kids in college which costs you 40-60 grand in tuition right there. Then all the other expenses. I know a few people around that 200k barrier and I would describe them as middle class families.

Bullshit. My parents make roughly $200,000-250,000 combined and were able to send multiple kids to college, pay their monthly mortgage on a $900,000ish home, pay monthly charges for 2 new cars, and they still had enough money to be wasteful. This is in San Jose, CA too... $200,000 in a place like Arizona and you'd live very lavishly.

numble

scorcho said:
btw Cheebs, my friend's recent move and start date for the Obama Fellows thing has me wondering - how'd your interview go, and did you get offered a position?

i think my friend mentioned that ~7,000 Fellows were accepted nationwide. i have no idea about the application number though.
In a conference call that was roughly 2 weeks before the application deadline was over, I heard that there were ~8000 applicants, so looks like a decent number were turned away. Maybe those that hadn't seriously filled out the app, couldn't commit to the time, or found out it was an unpaid position.

Cheebs

numble said:
In a conference call that was roughly 2 weeks before the application deadline was over, I heard that there were ~8000 applicants, so looks like a decent number were turned away. Maybe those that hadn't seriously filled out the app, couldn't commit to the time, or found out it was an unpaid position.
From what I could tell basically anyone that wanted to do it, could do it. I assume that 1000 out of 8000 backed out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm really starting to like the way this is looking.

Also 7000 new highly trained ground troups for nov? Yes please.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
numble said:
yeah, that caused my friend some concern seeing as he has about 15k in credit card debt. then again, his family own a mansion right outside DC so i don't think he's worried too much about it. he's also subletting his apartment in NYC for nearly $3k for the six weeks he's gone, so he's still making money during this time.

the bastard.

Mumei

If everyone who called themselves middle class was actually middle class, almost everyone would be middle class. :lol

Leading Democratic fundraisers predict that Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) will raise hundreds of millions of dollars over the next few months if he opts out of public financing and begins raising money for the general election.

Specifically, they say Obama could raise $100 million in June and could attract 2.5 million to 3 million new donors to his campaign.

These fundraisers say Obama could increase his fundraising dramatically because of three factors: a boost of enthusiasm among Obama donors following his clinching of the nomination; the migration of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s (D-N.Y.) donors to his camp; and the mobilization of big Democratic donors who have given little so far this year.

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/ob...llion-in-june-fundraisers-say-2008-06-09.html

I've almost convinced my parents and grandmother to give money to his campaign. :D

Cheebs said:
Selebius isn't going to be VP, she isn't worth giving much attention.
www.reuters.com__225_x_178_892.jpg

Anyone with half a brain know shes #1 on the list.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cheebs said:
Kerry got 88%, why cant Obama improve on that?

And yeah, I got accepted. Training is pretty soon.

accepted to do what? Be an Obama internet foot soldier?

lol, 200K being barely a living wage.

BTW, are all Hillary supporters like Cooltrick, APF or Phoenixdark banned forever? These politicalthreads are diminished without their input.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Instigator said:

BTW, are all Hillary supporters like Cooltrick, APF or Phoenixdark banned forever? These politicalthreads are diminished without their input.
Is this what we're calling it these days? "Input"?

thekad

Banned
Instigator said:

Only PD is banned (because of an idiotic ban bet). CoolTrick is sulking and APF has hung up his trolling gloves.

scorcho

McCain's still on his pledge to simplify the tax system by introducing an alternate tax system ON TOP OF THE CURRENT ONE. in McCain World, doing double the work to see which system offers the biggest tax relief is simplification.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080610/usa_politics_mccain.html?.v=4

also, yay for McCain's delusional plan that would further cut corporate taxes while expecting the loss of government revenue to somehow be balanced by a cut in ('dreaded' with air quotes) federal pork projects.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Deus Ex Machina said:
Would this be considered the bump Chuck Todd was talking about? or does it have to be larger?

080610DailyUpdateGraph1_hjntrdf.gif
Holy splittings streams...

That graph is music to my face!

I came into the thread to tell you all that I've read this and now that I've read this particular part. I will vote for Obama this November.

Obama puts more of a focus on the budget deficit. He would keep the Bush tax cuts in place for most Americans, but not for those who make roughly $250,000 a year or more. He would also get rid of income taxes for seniors making less than $50,000 annually.

Previously known to me, the position Obama had was that he wanted to reexamine the top 1% of earners.

Like I've said, he now has my support.

Kathleen Sebelius, Completing The Obama Puzzle

133-US-NEWS-OBAMA-3-KC.standalone.prod_affiliate.91.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/10/kathleen-sebelius-complet_n_106219.html

When weighing Kathleen Sebelius' potential as a possible vice presidential pick for Barack Obama, it's useful to consider two separate instances when the Kansas Governor confronted President George W. Bush.

In May 2007, after a devastating tornado had wiped out the town of Greensburg, Sebelius was quick to highlight one of the unspoken truths of the recovery episode: Kansas lacked the resources and manpower it needed because much of the state's National Guard resources had been sent to Iraq. Going public, she repeatedly took jabs at Bush, scolding his Iraq policies for creating a readiness gap at home. Her rebukes earned her accolades in Kansas and with the press. It also prompted the scorn of several Bush lackeys -- a not-too-unfortunate wrist slapping for an emerging Democratic official.

Less than a year later, Sebelius' national stature landed her in another prime-time position, again opposite the president.

Taken together, these two Bush-related episodes could be considered the polar ends of the Kathleen Sebelius experience. To be fair, the median of the Kansas governor's attributes lie definitively closer to the person who eagerly challenged George Bush's war policies. Indeed, with Obama beginning the arduous process of choosing his number two, Sebelius -- who, sources say, enjoys a warm relationship with Obama and would take the job -- presents a heap of electoral promise but with small but significant question marks.

The daughter of the former governor of Ohio, Sebelius rose steadily in the political ranks, winning six straight elections before taking over the governor's chair in 2002 and being reelected four years later. A progressive Democrat in an predominantly Republican state, she achieved remarkable favorability ratings while holding positions traditionally anathema in Kansas -- mainly by keeping focus on bread-and-butter issues.

"By and large, she's a moderate Democrat, truly pro-business, and able to convey a legitimate sense of being a competent administrator (which she is)," Burdett Loomis, a former Sebelius aide and professor of politics at the University of Kansas, said in an email. "She does exceedingly well in forums like Chambers of Commerce talks, where she exudes common sense and competence, while still maintaining core Democratic values -- education, health care, and sympathy for unions."

More often than not, Sebelius has harnessed legislative consensus for her agenda. In a special session in 2005, she was handed a budgetary bombshell when the state's Supreme Court ordered the government to provide $500 million for school funding (Kansas' budget is roughly $12 billion). Discussions went on for days in the legislature, with talk of impeachment of the justices surfacing. Sebelius stood behind the court, and recruited a slim majority of lawmakers to her side. Funds were passed for the schools and three years later the program is regarded as a success.

"She brings people together and gets things done," said Raj Goyle, a first term state representative. "Governor Sebelius has a unique record of reaching across traditional party lines in Kansas to build consensus."

But when she felt it necessary, Sebelius fought -- and often won. She vetoed a bill that would have required voters to show photo identification before voting, citing disenfranchisement concerns. She issued an executive order making it illegal to discriminate against state employees on the basis of sexual orientation. Three times in four years, she opposed legislation that would have restricted abortion access even though one of those bills passed the Kansas legislature by a two to one margin. Most recently, Sebelius offered a third veto to a bill that would have paved the way for the construction of two new coal-fired units in western Kansas, and she did it primarily on environmental grounds, a stance that a decade ago would have amounted to political suicide.

"Elected leaders are supposed to look at the big picture, at issues that may not affect citizens immediately but are extremely beneficial to the long-term condition of our society. Moving toward renewable energy provides opportunities for better-paying jobs, while helping to address concerns caused by global warming," she said of her decision.

Her position was held up by one vote in the statehouse.

"The coal industry thought that if there was one state it could buy off, it would be Kansas," said one legislator close to Sebelius. "She obviously made an incredibly risky decision to deny the permits. And never before in history had coal plant been rejected on environmental grounds."

And yet, despite the dug-in heels and the close-fought battles, Sebelius' standing has risen. In 2005, she was named by Time magazine one of the five best governors in America, lauded for eliminating a $1.1 billion debt without raising taxes. Her approval ratings, meanwhile, hover over 60 percent. Officials at the Democratic Governors Association -- which Sebelius chaired in 2007 -- repeatedly raved about her work ethic.

The Bush confrontation was emblematic of how Sebelius has curried broad support. After tornadoes hit six southwest Kansas counties, killing thirteen, Sebelius publicly declared that National Guard shortages "will just make it that much slower." The White House responded by first putting the blame at her feet, saying it was "not aware of any prior complaints" about a lack of personnel or equipment, and then suggesting that the governor had been in New Orleans, listening to jazz, when the storm hit. Neither were true. Sebelius had made at least five separate requests for equipment, beginning in Dec. 2005, and, on the day of the storm, she had been visiting family before immediately returning to the state.

According to a source close to Sebelius, the governor didn't take lightly to the smears. During a visit to the tornado site with the president, she reportedly continued to hammer away with her guard complaints. Kansans of all political stripes loved it.

"People were supportive of her and those comments," said Tim Owens a Republican legislator. "I'm a retired army colonel and I will tell you, I think she is right... I'm not very happy about the way the federal government went about dealing with the National Guard in regards to the war in Iraq."

Being a successful Democrat in a Republican state, showing an ability to reach blue-collar voters, and demonstrating a tenacity to challenge the Bush administration, has vaulted Sebelius into any honest discussion of Obama's veepstakes. Sharing a good relationship with the Illinois Democrat and endorsing him fairly early in the primary cycle didn't hurt either

She sounds like someone you would want on your side.

why r u people surprised that polls are showing mccain is weak? for the last 10 months we have been only focusing on Obama and Clinton, the media only talked about Obama and Clinton, now that Clinton is gone, the focus is on McCain as well, and the more people see McCain the less likely they will vote for him. Im surprised he even won the nomination, Huckabee or Romney had a higher chance of Victory in November against Obama than McCain.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What was the percentage that earmarks make up in the budget? 1% or something right? McCain's priorities are so stupid.

syllogism

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/10980.html

Sen. Barack Obama’s go-to Hollywood hottie is Scarlett Johansson, a starlet who trades frequent e-mails with the presumptive Democratic nominee, campaigns tirelessly on his behalf, hosts lucrative fundraisers and even appeared in that “Yes We Can” viral video that got 10 million views in its first week online.

She e-mailed him after some of the Democratic debates, offering her thoughts on his messages and performance. “After the silliness of the last ABC debate,” she says of the highly criticized event co-hosted by Charles Gibson and George Stephanopoulos, she wrote to congratulate him on “holding his ground.”

His replies have been thoughtful, she says, more than a brief line or two; on the ABC debate, he responded that the questioning was “difficult” and he was being pounded on “one silly question after another.”

Johansson is somewhat shocked that he keeps up their back-and-forth correspondence. “You’d imagine that someone like the senator who is constantly traveling and constantly ‘on’ — how can he return these personal e-mails?” she asks. “But he does, and in his off-time I know he also calls people who have donated the minimum to thank them. Nobody sees it, nobody talks about it, but it’s incredible.” She adds, “I feel like I’m supporting someone, and having a personal dialogue with them, and it’s amazing.”

He has followed her career as well, telling her that his favorite performance was her turn in “Lost in Translation.” He’s a “huge movie lover” and “knows who every actor is,” she says.

Dan said:
What was the percentage that earmarks make up in the budget? 1% or something right? McCain's priorities are so stupid.

I actually think it's less than that. Something along the lines of 0.7% is what I remember reading.

scorcho

it also makes no sense to devalue earmarks completely - congressmen are expected to secure federal money for their state/district for a variety of projects.

Mumei

Hey, question for anyone:

Does McCain have more detailed plans on his website aside from just the brief overview on the actual issue page? I've been looking, and I can't seem to find anything.

ronito

Mumei said:

Does McCain have more detailed plans on his website aside from just the brief overview on the actual issue page? I've been looking, and I can't seem to find anything.
he's got golf gear though!

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_571996.html

Ron Paul plans his own convention

Maverick GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul has booked an arena in Minneapolis for a "mini-convention" that could steal some of John McCain's thunder just days before he accepts the Republican nomination.

A Paul campaign aide said the Texas congressman hopes to pack about 11,000 supporters into the Williams Arena at the University of Minnesota on Sept. 2, which coincides with the second day of the Republican National Convention at the Xcel Energy Center in neighboring St. Paul.

Paul, 72, will announce details for the rally Thursday at the start of the Texas Republican Convention in Houston.

The campaign hopes the daylong event will "send a message to the Republican Party," Paul campaign spokesman Jesse Benton tells the Tribune-Review.

Conservatism-in-exile begins now!

Mumei

ronito said:
he's got golf gear though!

:lol

Well, I was just a bit surprised - after seeing around 290 pages on Obama's website for his positions on various issues, I expected, you know, something substantial on McCain's website.

scorcho

Mumei said:

nope. for all the bluster in the media about Obama's political naivety and lack of experience, he offers a much meatier statement of his policy platform than McCain.

it could just be that, bear with me here, McCain isn't as 'detail-oriented' (code for smart) as Obama is.

Zonar

domokunrox said:
I came into the thread to tell you all that I've read this and now that I've read this particular part. I will vote for Obama this November.

Previously known to me, the position Obama had was that he wanted to reexamine the top 1% of earners.

Like I've said, he now has my support.
Link please

ronito

Tamanon said:
what exactly is he trying to do I wonder? Why not go to the libertarian party and run as their candidate? He could affect so much more change that way. It almost seems as if he's caught up in a cult of personality or something. You can't change a party that doesn't want to change from the inside when they're trying to kick you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom