• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
The fact that some people actually believe "The Party Elders" won the day in this primary make me rofl. As if the Clinton family isn't the personification of "Party Elders". Its only through the prejudice of supporters and campaign strategists that Hillary came to be the candidate of the working class.

Smiles and Cries said:
post bike photo please

obamabike.jpg

Zeed

Banned
Heh, I caught a bit of Morning Joe this morning and Chris Matthews was on.

"George Bush is less popular than gay marriage."
"Wow."
"Among Republicans."
"Wat?!?!?!"

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I know it's 8 years old, but this is what I was talking about yesterday:

capgains.png

I'm sure nothing has changed since then. I'm all for raising the capital gains tax to 30% on the rich.

But you are also for lowering taxes on wages too right? For people making say 60,000 a year in return should get a tax break. Thats the only way it can work.

I just hope Obama wouldnt raise taxes on the middle class. And Im glad that he is for giving a 1,000 tax credit to certain middle class individuals.

mckmas8808 said:
But you are also for lowering taxes on wages too right? For people making say 60,000 a year in return should get a tax break. Thats the only way it can work.

I just hope Obama wouldnt raise taxes on the middle class. And Im glad that he is for giving a 1,000 tax credit to certain middle class individuals.

he has said repeatedly that the middle and lower class will see a tax cut.

this whole "higher taxes" thing is a red herring that i hope obama can kill, soon. it would bring in SO many voters to his side if they didn't think he would raise taxes on them.

syllogism

From NBC's Chuck Todd and Domenico Montanaro
So you think you know who's on Obama's veep short list? Well, think again. According to sources on the Hill, Obama veep vetters -- specifically Jim Johnson and Eric Holder -- have been asking Dem members of Congress this week their input about potential running mates. The conversations are free-flowing but one name the vetters are inserting in the conversations is one that is not a household name... Ret. Gen. James Jones, the former Marine-turned-NATO Supreme Allied Commander.

Jones, a Vietnam vet born in Kansas City, MO (swing state alert!), was a career military officer rising to one of the highest posts possible. Now retired, Jones has been critical of the number of troops currently in Afghanistan. He's been appointed to independent posts by both the Democratic Congress and the Republican-run State Department

Jones currently is the president and CEO of the Institute for 21st Century Energy, which is an affiliate of the US Chamber of Commerce, not exactly the type of organization a typical Democrat gets involved with. Potentially problematic is that he's on Chevron's board. He also serves on the boards of Boeing and Invacare, a manufacturer and distributor of medical equipment. (Invacare’s slogan, ironically, is: “Yes, you can.”)

Being the least known potential veep, it shouldn't be surprising that the vetters have to spend more time on him in their various conversations on the Hill. But the fact that he's being, um, added to the very long short list, is an interesting development.

Besides Jones, the other names on the list bandied about with congressional Dems include (and not in any order): Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, John Edwards, Evan Bayh, Kathleen Sebelius, Ted Strickland, Mark Warner, Tim Kaine, Jim Webb, Bill Nelson, Jack Reed, Joe Biden, Chris Dodd, Tom Daschle, and Sam Nunn. You'll notice a few names NOT on this list (that's not my exclusion -- hint hint). Besides Jones, I'm told the two other names that invited extended discussion were Biden and Strickland.

Take this chatter for what it is -- chatter. But the addition of Jones to your semi-official veep short list is truly a fascinating development.
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/10/1127710.aspx

Cheebs

The obama folk keep bringing up this guy? He looks kinda scary:
jones-james-cp-7460224.jpg

Interesting that the 3 names given most discussion are Jons, Biden, and Strickland.

I expected Strickland. But Biden?

Biden is the fucking man. Anything that would get him closer to the Presidency is a go for me, so I would love him as VP.

He was actually a favorite of mine early on, before I knew about Obama.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Farmboy said:
Great stuff. So I guess we can write off Clark, Richardson, Bloomberg, Schweitzer and Rendell, at least in the view of the congressional Dems?

I've been thinking recently that Biden deserves some serious consideration. He has a fine resume, and he'd be a good attack dog.
i think we need to look past this 'attack dog' angle. i'd prefer someone with more executive experience, not a pit bull in the mold of Cheney.

Cheebs

I think that of the 3 names being talked about Biden being one is bigger news than this Jones guy.

We expected obama was interested in a gen. potentially but Biden being one of the "main 3" is out of NOWHERE.

Farmboy

scorcho said:
i think we need to look past this 'attack dog' angle. i'd prefer someone with more executive experience, not a pit bull in the mold of Cheney.

Well like I said, Biden has a great resume as well. And he's an attack dog in the "call a spade a spade and won't take shit from anyone" sense, not the evil, unscrupulous muckraking sense.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
I wouldn't read too much into the "extended discussion" comment
Why? The 3 names discussed the most are Jones, Biden, and Strickland. I think that is something to keep an eye on.

Cheebs said:
I think that of the 3 names being talked about Biden being one is bigger news than this Jones guy.

We expected obama was interested in a gen. potentially but Biden being one of the "main 3" is out of NOWHERE.

Have you listened to Biden? He actually has some really good ideas and is charismatic. Ironnically he's also good friends with McCain and Lieberman, although he's completely against the war. The main drags on him are 1) he had some controversy about stealing speeches in the 80s, and 2) he is a senator from Delaware, so no swing state help.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
Why? The 3 names discussed the most are Jones, Biden, and Strickland. I think that is something to keep an eye on.
I'm sure it suggests those names are high up on the list, but not necessarily that they are on top of it

Cheebs

worldrunover said:
Have you listened to Biden? He actually has some really good ideas and is charismatic. Ironnically he's also good friends with McCain and Lieberman, although he's completely against the war. The main drags on him are 1) he had some controversy about stealing speeches in the 80s, and 2) he is a senator from Delaware, so no swing state help.
I love Biden, I just never thought he'd get serious consideration for VP. And the swing state criteria is over-rated. Cheney wasn't from a swing state. Lieberman wasn't from a swing state.

Nameless

I've never seen anything like this. From the point Obama made his speech last Tuesday acknowledging himself as the presumptive nominee to now, John McCain has shot himself in the foot every single day with some idiotic comment.

It CAN'T be this easy can it!!!???

Cheebs

Qwerty710710 said:
What about clark
Chuck Todd says he was not brought up with the VP staff talks, seems he isn't on the list.

scorcho said:
who?

why give Biden a position of castrated power like VP when he'd be better served as Secretary of State?
VP is as powerful as the president wants it to be, like Cheney. He can give Biden or whoever a lot of power if he wants.

Sharp

I think the media's attempts to properly spell "Barack" overwhelmingly dominate the misspelling sector. Yesterday I saw no less than ten articles in a row on Google News, of which only two spelled it the same (correct) way. In particular, I've noticed that some dismissive articles have attributed as many as four r's to his name. Still, the article from an Arizona news source that repeatedly referred to him as "McKain" struck me as much more hilarious for some reason.

scorcho

Cheebs said:
Chuck Todd says he was not brought up with the VP staff talks, seems he isn't on the list.

VP is as powerful as the president wants it to be, like Cheney. He can give Biden or whoever a lot of power if he wants.
if Obama gives the VP slot as much latitude as Bush did that'll take some luster off his image.

i don't believe in uneven power wielded benevolently; i believe in checks and balances.

Cheebs

scorcho said:
i don't believe in uneven power wielded benevolently; i believe in checks and balances.
Giving more power than the office holds in a president's cabniet/vp is not unheard of and it is not always a bad thing. JFK gave Bobby Kennedy a lot more sway and power than attorney general usually holds, RFK made and helped on many exectuve level decisions that had nothing to do with the judiciary and I dont think many consider that as bad since RFK was key in helping stop the cuban missile crisis

GhaleonEB

McCain's counter to Obama yesterday:

Yesterday in Raleigh, NC, Obama compared McCain to the current president, who he said was originally billed as a fiscal conservative. "Instead, we got the most fiscally irresponsible administration in history," Obama said. "And now John McCain wants to give us another."

Today, McCain shot back that he would return the Republican Party to spending discipline, but that Obama's policies would cause the kind of across-the-board tax hikes that stifle economic growth. "Under Sen. Obama's tax plan, Americans of every background would see their taxes rise -- seniors, parents, small business owners, and just about everyone who has even a modest investment in the market," he said.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/10/1127912.aspx

Yawn.

scorcho

Cheebs said:
Giving more power than the office holds in a president's cabniet/vp is not unheard of and it is not always a bad thing. JFK gave Bobby Kennedy a lot more sway and power than attorney general usually holds, RFK made and helped on many exectuve level decisions that had nothing to do with the judiciary and I dont think many consider that as bad since RFK was key in helping stop the cuban missile crisis
you're equating a personal relationship between brothers to a calculated strategy to tip more power to the executive branch?

Cheebs said:
G JFK gave Bobby Kennedy a lot more sway and power than attorney general usually holds, RFK made and helped on many exectuve level decisions that had nothing to do with the judiciary

see: illegally spying on americans :lol

Cheebs

Incognito said:
see: illegally spying on americans :lol
Eh I'd give more leeway to the early 60's for that stuff than today. It was the early days of the cold war. No one had a fucking clue what was going on.

syllogism

A random reaction to Gen. Jones
Oh god no, I hope not. General James Jones came across as one of the most racist, belligerent assholes I've had the displeasure of having to film. He gave the opening keynote at a conference I was filming and made some of the most offensive remarks about Muslims and Europe I've heard.

He went off about "frightening statistics" that we should be aware of, and gave these two specific lines: that in Denmark, last year, more children were born with Muslim surnames than Christian surnames, and that in a couple of decades, the Muslim population would reach 20-30%.
Yeah, probably not happening. He is going to put the clips on youtube/email them to the campaign

This was the event http://wacsf.vportal.net/detail.cfm?fileid=5455

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
scorcho said:
why give Biden a position of castrated power like VP when he'd be better served as Secretary of State?

Castrated power?!?!?!?!?

Have you seen Dick Cheney?
The Vice Presidency is BACK, baby!!!!

:lol

Maybe I'm too new in the field of politics, and I don't have a proper understanding of how things work in this country (I'm only 18), but what is so godawful about taxes? It just seems that every election season, the only thing the Republicans have going for them is their promise of "no excessive taxes omg!" and the average Joe of America blindly follows it because they hate to see their money taken away.

But really though, in this day and age and especially with our country the way it is right now, shouldn't a responsible American logically feel that increased taxes means more funding for needed and necessary programs to lift our country back on top again? We need these programs: we need health care, we need job creation programs, we need basically a subsidized New Deal, if you think about it. To deny the funding FOR these programs, you come off as a selfish and altogether elitist individual.

I just don't get why taxes are necessarily a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom