• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

CowboyAstronaut said:
Can't deny that. Obama's gaffes are nowhere near as serious.

Calling Putin the President of Germany? If that had been Obama the Republicans would've pounced on it.
IMO it's not too different from the 57 states thing, at least not in isolation. Though after watching the video I agree it's kind of bizarre, since I honestly have no idea what he meant to say there.

GhaleonEB

Trakdown said:
http://www.washingtonindependent.com/view/mccain-campaign

McCain calls Arizona a "swing state"

Wow. His campaign just can't get a break. If he's right, he's in worse trouble than I thought, and if he's wrong, it's another chapter in the "McCain through the looking glass" saga.
While Arizona Republicans are bogged down with nasty infighting and a slumping number of registered voters, Arizona Democrats are gaining voters daily. Powered by Sen. Barack Obama’s voter registration drive, Democratic voter registration is up 2.8 percent in the last year and Democrats are poised to gain control of a majority of the state’s House congressional delegation for the first time in decades.

The biggest shift in the Arizona political landscape has been in the number of voters registering as independents -- up 7.6 percent in the last year. Arizona is now essentially a tri-party state -- Republicans make up 38 percent of registered voters; Democrats, 34 percent, and independents, 27 percent. Securing a plurality of independents will be crucial to the presidential race here and Obama has the early edge. Without the enthusiastic support of rank-and-file Republicans, McCain could face a desert dogfight that could wind up costing him the White House in a close contest.
50. State. Strategy.
Suikoguy said:
There are 57 Democratic Primary Contests
Bingo.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Sharp said:
IMO it's not too different from the 57 states thing, at least not in isolation. Though after watching the video I agree it's kind of bizarre, since I honestly have no idea what he meant to say there.

There are 57 Democratic Primary Contests

What's nice about the 50 state strategy, is the long term bonuses.
If you never try in Republican states, you will likely never win.

Tamanon

Banned
The simple fact is that nobody is going to vote for McCain thinking he will solve the nation's problems. That's not what he is or represents.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
The simple fact is that nobody is going to vote for McCain thinking he will solve the nation's problems. That's not what he is or represents.
which nation are we talking about?

GhaleonEB

hokahey said:
Looked the same for Kerry in June of 2004.
True, electoral maps were favorable to Kerry at this point. But there's a lot of other factors that are different right now. I think it was Rasmussen who said today that neither Kerry or Bush ever led the other by 8 points in their poll, as Obama does over McCain right now.

Also, Obama is not Kerry.

Trakdown

GhaleonEB said:
50. State. Strategy.

I'm starting to come around to the notion that maybe, just maybe, AZ can be flipped.

McCain's immigration policy is really not popular with our state Republicans right now, and since this is THE issue for the state, it might end up alienating independents too. McCain's ties to Gramm also mean he's tied to the housing crisis, and that's been major news here in Tucson (was in the Daily Star).

I don't think that the gas price issue is going to hit as hard here, since most places are still sub $4.00 and we're still paying less than many places in the country. Housing is key. Also, if the Universities can somehow push HARD on the campaign front, they can turn enough of Flagstaff and Tucson that it might just do it. Add a little support from Napolitano and there's a chance.

It's a long shot, but why not? This campaign so far has been anything but normal. Maybe we're ready to be blue.

Gaborn

Zeed said:
So what should be said about the man who claims to be a Libertarian but frequently divorces himself from the philosophy whenever it suits him?

I don't believe I "divorce myself from the philosophy whenever it suits me," though I will say that as Emerson said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do." I've never claimed libertarianism is an absolutist philosophy that must be maintained at any cost, I think getting as close to that in society is ideal however. Libertarianism doesn't have all the answers, but it does seem to ask the right questions about governmental authority to regulate individuals in a variety of ways both personally and economically.

Trakdown said:
I don't think that the gas price issue is going to hit as hard here, since most places are still sub $4.00 and we're still paying less than many places in the country. Housing is key. Also, if the Universities can somehow push HARD on the campaign front, they can turn enough of Flagstaff and Tucson that it might just do it. Add a little support from Napolitano and there's a chance.

Avondale is 4+

Christian leaders meet privately with Obama

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080611/ap_on_.../obama_religion

By CHARLES BABINGTON, Associated Press Writer
36 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Barack Obama discussed Darfur, the Iraq war, gay rights, abortion and other issues Tuesday with Christian leaders, including a conservative who has been criticized for praising the Democratic presidential candidate.

Bishop T.D. Jakes, a prominent black clergyman who heads a Dallas megachurch, said Obama took questions, listened to participants and discussed his "personal journey of faith."

The discussion "went absolutely everywhere," Jakes told The Associated Press, and "just about every Christian stripe was represented in that room."

Steal their base Barack! The war issue alone should bring some into the fold

Sharp

Gaborn said:
I don't believe I "divorce myself from the philosophy whenever it suits me," though I will say that as Emerson said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do."
As Voltaire said, "a witty saying proves nothing."

Formless

Dax01 said:
capt.17178d321cd4451987ca0899fb4bff1f.obama_2008_moab122.jpg

He's so cool looking.
It's remarkable how polarized this election will be age-wise. Unfortunately older people vote more often.

GhaleonEB

Formless said:
It's remarkable how polarized this election will be age-wise. Unfortunately older people vote more often.
IIRC, the youth vote has turned out in similar margins to the older voters in the primary. It's up a lot.

Has there been a comprehensive analysis of all the polls from the 57 states contests?

Sharp

Formless said:
I meant they actually take time to get out and vote every election.
I think at least some of that would be mitigated by making Election Day a national holiday, though. As it stands retirees have a distinct advantage.

Sharp

The Crimson Kid said:
Definitely a joke. If you're being sarcastic, I apologize.

Seriously, check out the rest of that site.
I think he knew that, but the way it's executed is really painful.

Cheebs

lol the mccain banner that is always over poligaf has a big happy face of Lieberman now. I never saw that one before. :lol

I still love how John McCain more or less sponsors PoliGaf.

grandjedi6 said:
No it wasn't. 2004 was still Bush's to lose. 2000 was the dems to lose.
Bush had a 9-10 point lead over Gore for most of the summer and early fall. He had a very good lead on gore. Gore had a VERY good final 2 week stretch and Bush's DUI came out. But for 80% of that campaign Bush was doing a lot better than Gore in polling.

It wasn't like that in 2004 where all summer long they were within 2 points of eachother and constantly switching back and forth.

As an Ohioan, I'm very glad to see Strickland not getting VP. I honestly didn't scrutinize him when I voted for him 1.5 years ago because frankly not being Ken Blackwell was enough. I'm not terribly impressed with him and I don't see him as Oval Office material, and him pledging to Hillary before Ohioans could vote in the primary didn't really help my image of him.

It is worth noting that last November he ruled out being on Hillary's ticket. Anybody interpreting his move as any kind of slight towards Obama isn't doing their homework.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
Bush had a 9-10 point lead over Gore for most of the summer and early fall. He had a very good lead on gore. Gore had a VERY good final 2 week stretch and Bush's DUI came out. But for 80% of that campaign Bush was doing a lot better than Gore in polling.

It wasn't like that in 2004 where all summer long they were within 2 points of eachother and constantly switching back and forth.

In 2004 Bush had decent approval ratings (at least over 50%), the economy was good and he was a wartime president. Bush had the advantage in 2004.

Cheebs

I love those retrospectives.

In a way its kind of sad. We likely won't have such a close, exciting primary for 20+ years if history follows course.

Cheebs

StopMakingSense said:
God, the banner ads here with Lieberman are just there on purpose to piss me off, aren't they?
Nearly every poltiical site I check, politico, cnn, msnbc...etc all have obama ad's all over. But he never pays for ads on GAF but McCain constantly does. Weird. Weird.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh shit I finally saw it, it's Lieberman with a shit-eating grin on his face cozied up to McCain "A leader we can believe in"

"A toadie we can believe in"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cheebs said:
Nearly every poltiical site I check, politico, cnn, msnbc...etc all have obama ad's all over. But he never pays for ads on GAF but McCain constantly does. Weird. Weird.

google ads man, google ads.

Cheebs

grandjedi6 said:
google ads man, google ads.
Which is even MORE weird. Because I saw an article how Obama put tons of money into google ads compared to mccain and hillary. He dwarfed them. Yet we get zip at gaf. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom