• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

New NBC/Wall Street Journal Poll due 6:30pm so pundits will have something to talk about for a while. First Read teases that one candidate has "the clear advantage" right now.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
syllogism said:
New NBC/Wall Street Journal Poll due 6:30pm so pundits will have something to talk about for a while. First Read teases that one candidate has "the clear advantage" right now.
Obama's sunk.

America desires Bush policies and loose, saggy balls.

Trends are looking great for Obama, according to Rasmussen.

MICHIGAN
................Mc....BO
6/09/2008 42% 45%
5/07/2008 45% 44%
3/25/2008 43% 42%
3/10/2008 44% 41%

He's been catching up since early March. If the trend continues, expect the wide lead Obama experienced before the FL/MI fiasco to return (He was up 47-39 in February.)

GEORGIA

.................Mc....BO
06/04/2008 51% 41%
05/06/2008 53% 39%
03/20/2008 53% 40%

He's only ten points down in freakin' Georgia. If Babar does well here, it could be a nice 15-electoral vote steal for Obama.

John_B

The McCain Store is awesome.

In the the Apparel category you can choose the following items.
- Outerwear
- T-Shirts
- Polo Shirts
- Infant
- Hats

Also these badges must be in high demand.
BTR2217-1.jpg

Trakdown

John_B said:
The McCain Store is awesome.

In the the Apparel category you can choose the following items.
- Outerwear
- T-Shirts
- Polo Shirts
- Infant
- Hats

Also these badges must be in high demand.
BTR2217-1.jpg

Nice of him to set the Arab American button with a funeral motif.

GhaleonEB

This line from McCain's Today show interview will be making the rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSaH2uyWz_I

It's pretty much the same thing he said when he gave his 100 years in Iraq line - it doesn't matter how long we're there, as long as we're not getting killed. Reid already put out a statement on it:

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/harry_reid_hammers_mccain_for.php

"McCain's statement today that withdrawing troops doesn't matter is a crystal clear indicator that he just doesn't get the grave national-security consequences of staying the course -- Osama bin Laden is freely plotting attacks, our efforts in Afghanistan are undermanned, and our military readiness has been dangerously diminished. We need a smart change in strategy to make America more secure, not a commitment to indefinitely keep our troops in an intractable civil war."

Wouldn't surprise me if Obama jumps on this hard to try and distract from the Jim Johnson snafu.

syllogism

Well Obama personally won't, but everyone else wll.

Reid and Biden already did and Obama conference call will highlight this 11am est.

Gaborn

Cheebs said:
Wasn't Gabron ranting and raving for weeks about how Obama can never win MI? :lol

no, I actually said I wasn't sure if he could, and a narrow lead doesn't exactly mean it's a sure thing, Obama's receiving an expected post nomination bounce, and it's going to be interesting how well it holds up.

Cheebs

Gaborn said:
no, I actually said I wasn't sure if he could, and a narrow lead doesn't exactly mean it's a sure thing, Obama's receiving an expected post nomination bounce, and it's going to be interesting how well it holds up.
His bounce comes almost entirely from Democrats unifying Rassmussen says. Democrats unifying is not swing voters who will likely change their minds.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i think all y'all extrapolating a bit too much from these polls. they're virtually meaningless as immediate barometers to the general election.

Cheebs

scorcho said:
i think all y'all extrapolating a bit too much from these polls. they're virtually meaningless as immediate barometers to the general election.
June 2004 daily tracking polls matched almost exactly how the election went in the fall. I am not saying 2008=2004 in that regard, but there is a precedent.

**Obama Veepstakes Round 2: Your Picks Are NEEDED!!!

http://innovation.cq.com/vpmadness

IT'S ROUND TWO NOW of CQ Politics’ contribution to this summer’s biggest political parlor game is “Dem VP Madness,” which allows visitors to CQ Politics to whittle down a field of 32 potential Obama running mates to one winner, using a single-elimination tournament not unlike the “March Madness” college basketball tournament.

Gaborn

Cheebs said:
His bounce comes almost entirely from Democrats unifying Rassmussen says. Democrats unifying is not swing voters who will likely change their minds.

And again, it's mostly meaningless this early and right after a major event like his nomination.

Cheebs

Deus Ex Machina said:

IT'S ROUND TWO NOW of CQ Politics’ contribution to this summer’s biggest political parlor game is “Dem VP Madness,” which allows visitors to CQ Politics to whittle down a field of 32 potential Obama running mates to one winner, using a single-elimination tournament not unlike the “March Madness” college basketball tournament.
Thats just some political websites fun little gam lol

Deus Ex Machina said:

damn, i got two wrong the first round

there's another veepstakes game on msnbc.com, if anyone's interested.

scorcho said:

If McCain gets too far behind too soon, his fundraising will stall as his nomination looks like more and more of a longshot. The money will go into defending Senate seats instead.

So I think these early polls are pretty meaningful in that regard.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Looking at all the aqua pill graphics, I still can't get over how McCain's website looks like a geocities web developer fell into a coma for the past ten years then upon waking was told to make something modern-looking. In a way, it fits McCain himself.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Guys go to http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/11/new...roposals_tpc/index.htm?postversion=2008061110

It actually shows what the average tax return will be in 2009 if McCain or Obama were president. It breaks down the numbers for everybody. I can't copy and paste the chart here because Im on a phone. :(

Okay so I can at least post this.

Here's how the average tax bill could
change in 2009 if either John McCain's or Barack Obama's tax proposals were fully in place.

MCCAIN
OBAMA

Income
Avg. tax bill
Avg. tax bill

Over $2.9M
-$269,364
+$701,885

$603K and up
-$45,361
+$115,974

$227K-$603K
-$7,871
+$12

$161K-$227K
-$4,380
-$2,789

$112K-$161K
-$2,614
-$2,204

$66K-$112K
-$1,009
-$1,290

$38K-$66K
-$319
-$1,042

$19K-$38K
-$113
-$892

Under $19K
-$19
-$567

Cheebs

Obama who was taking the day off in Chicago after a flood canceled his event in Iowa will be holding a impromptu press conference near his home to comment on McCain's Today Show interview.

Hito, your original comment was better! And good move to hold the presser on McCain's word choice this morning. Keep stoking the fire! McCain is going to have a meltdown before the convention.

RubxQub

Incognito said:
Hito, your original comment was better! And good move to hold the presser on McCain's word choice this morning. Keep stoking the fire! McCain is going to have a meltdown before the convention.
Wonder if we'll see the "Trollop, Cunt" McCain anytime during the general.

That would be OH SO wonderful.

Edit: Speaking of...wtf? How could feminists vote for McCain if he's said shit like that? Wouldn't they rather have "Sweetie-gate" than "Trollop, Cunt-gate"?

RubxQub said:
Wonder if we'll see the "Trollop, Cunt" McCain anytime during the general.

That would be OH SO wonderful.

I'm anxiously anticipating an N-Word slip-up during a debate/town hall. That may be too much though... a "Boy" might be more likely

RubxQub

So...where is this Obama = increased taxes bullshit?

As long as you're making less than $603K, Obama will either equal or lower taxes.

Wtf? McCain is so fucking sunk if these numbers are even close to accurate.

RubxQub said:
So...where is this Obama = increased taxes bullshit?

As long as you're making less than $603K, Obama will either equal or lower taxes.

Wtf? McCain is so fucking sunk if these numbers are even close to accurate.

but when rich people have to pay more taxes, they have less money to create jobs with. So the economy suffers :(

I don't actually believe that

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
soul creator said:
I'm anxiously anticipating an N-Word slip-up during a debate/town hall. That may be too much though... a "Boy" might be more likely
That's not fair to McCain. He's not a racist.

scorcho

Cheebs said:
June 2004 daily tracking polls matched almost exactly how the election went in the fall. I am not saying 2008=2004 in that regard, but there is a precedent.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/Presidential_04/bush_vs_kerry_historical.html

not quite.

and politics doesn't unfold in a vacuum. polls can't be held as static indicators where, all else being equal, this is how the vote will directly unfold. there's a lot that could happen between now and november, and putting too much weight into these polls is a bit shortsighted.

Trakdown

Hitokage said:
Looking at all the aqua pill graphics, I still can't get over how McCain's website looks like a geocities web developer fell into a coma for the past ten years then upon waking was told to make something modern-looking. In a way, it fits McCain himself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/11/mccain-admits-he-doesnt-k_n_106478.html

McCain admitting he can't operate a computer, which wouldn't be a liability if it wasn't the year two-thousand-fucking-eight.

I'm not saying you should be forced to resign if you can't use one, I'm saying you should go take a class or something. Thanks to Ted Stevens' insight on how the web works, I have absolutely no tolerance for this- get with the times already.

cjdunn

Harry Reid on McCain's interview:
McCain's statement today that withdrawing troops doesn't matter is a crystal clear indicator that he just doesn't get the grave national-security consequences of staying the course -- Osama bin Laden is freely plotting attacks, our efforts in Afghanistan are undermanned, and our military readiness has been dangerously diminished. We need a smart change in strategy to make America more secure, not a commitment to indefinitely keep our troops in an intractable civil war.

Tamanon

Banned
So Floyd Brown, the guy behind the Willie Horton ad a long time ago and little else came out with his second Obama ad, it really covers lots of new ground......

It insinuates that he is not really a Christian, but a Muslim!

Creative to the max!

cjdunn

John Kerry next at bat:
Greg Sargent said:
On an Obama campaign conference call with reporters just now, prominent Obama supporter John Kerry unleashed blistering criticism of McCain over the comments.

Speaking of military families, Kerry said: "To them it's the most important thing in the world when they come home."

Kerry also cast the comments as proof that McCain is befuddled about the situation our military finds itself in. "Our generals have made it crystal clear that we cannot sustain our forces in Iraq at this level," he said.

"Senator McCain, it is important when they come home," Kerry concluded. "It is important when we can revitalize our military."

scorcho

Zeed said:
"I hate the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."
as someone of Vietnamese descent, that means nothing to me. i interpreted it as relating to those that tortured him. i'd likely make similar base statements if i was held under the conditions he was.

Trakdown

Tamanon said:
So Floyd Brown, the guy behind the Willie Horton ad a long time ago and little else came out with his second Obama ad, it really covers lots of new ground......

It insinuates that he is not really a Christian, but a Muslim!

Creative to the max!

Is the entire Right wing stuck in April? Between this and Fox News STILL pastorbating, it's like they came in late.

BTW, that ad's hilarious. It says "Maybe it doesn't matter that he used to be a Muslim." Then why the fuck bring it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom