• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nazgul_Hunter said:
story.jpg

No Comment
link
Is this what US president elections have come to?

"baby momma" is urban slang for the mother of a man's illegitimate child. It's basically one step away from calling her a whore.

masud

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
you think thats bad? I spent a good 5 minutes today explaining to 3 women at work (one of them a supervisor) that Obama hadn't won the presidency yet, that this was just the primaries and the election hasn't even happened yet.
:lol... wait what?!

Mumei

Well, with all your guys' gloom and doom about stupidity, racism, and ignorance, I thought I'd brighten things up a bit.

An acquaintance of mine was a staunch Hillary supporter; he had a picture of Hillary illuminated from behind picture juxtaposed with a "I eat babies" picture of Obama for his profile picture, he wrote several notes on why we should vote for her, so on and so forth.

Well, he's not really a friend, and I haven't talked to him in several months, but I just looked at his profile.... and on June 4th, the day after the last primaries, he went on Facebook to become a Supporter of Barack Obama.

<3 the herd

masud said:
:lol... wait what?!

im serious. I overheard one of them talking about "I never thought i'd see this day in my life! A black president!" and was like WTF? I wandered over, figuring maybe they were just really optimistic about Obama's chances and were counting their chickens before they hatched...but nope.

OBAMA WITHIN 6% OF MCCAIN IN MISSISSIPPI

Check out this map:

http://www.electoral-vote.com /

And check out Mississippi.

I think these numbers are based of polls taken before he got his bounce.

ok, maybe it's a long shot, but wouldn't it be nice to hear the MSM talking about McCain having to put money and time into Mississippi in the final month of so of the campaign!?

What an embarassment it would be to a GOP, talk about morale killer!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Deus Ex Machina said:

Check out this map:

ok, maybe it's a long shot, but wouldn't it be nice to hear the MSM talking about McCain having to put money and time into Mississippi in the final month of so of the campaign!?

With the 50 state strategy becoming a reality, the GOP is going to have to put some money there.

Clevinger

Deus Ex Machina said:
"baby momma" is urban slang for the mother of a man's illegitimate child. It's basically one step away from calling her a whore.

Give them time. I'm sure they'll make it there soon.

ralexand said:
Never heard of that. Is there video?

I've been looking for it for like half an hour. It's from when he won (?) the Senate race in '04 I believe. I saw it live and haven't seen it since, and I don't even remember what time of the year it was.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
barnowl010306m.jpg

"JEW JEW"

:lol :lol

Goddammit Colbert.

Context: Colbert talks about the new official bird of Israel that was chosen, and he goes in to talk about that the Barn Owl was passed over as it had the drawback of being a bad omen for Arabs. He then plays a clip of the Barn Owl's mating call, and it's someone going "JEW JEW" while mimicking an owl.

numble

The McCain Miracle By Michael Gerson

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../06/10/AR2008061002526.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Excerpt:
The style and approach of general election campaigns are often conditioned by the method of victory in the primaries. The Obama team ends the season like a battle-worn Army division -- organized, relentless and skilled at fundraising, registering voters and getting them to the polls. Members of the McCain team feel more like survivors of a near-death experience -- convinced that the virtues of their candidate and the blessings of the political gods matter more than the money, phone banks and door-knocking of traditional politics.

This worries some Republican strategists. One recently described the McCain campaign to me as the political equivalent of a Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland movie: Every morning a few guys get together and say, "Let's put on a show!" McCain's state campaign organizations, coalition outreach and get-out-the-vote efforts are weak or nonexistent. But McCain campaign officials are convinced that they will win -- if they win -- in a different manner from that of the methodical Bush campaigns of 2000 and 2004. McCain will either catch fire, or he won't -- and traditional efforts to boost turnout, in this view, are not likely to make the difference. Given its history, the McCain campaign is understandably proud of its stripped-down, seat-of-the-pants, insurgent style. But it may eventually be useful to have a serious campaign organization in, say, Colorado.

Deus Ex Machina said:

Check out this map:

The Senate map on that page is quite lovely. If they can keep all the Dem-leaning seats and add MN and OR to that column... 60 seats.

TDG

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I really want to see some new Arizona polling. Obama was only behind by ~10 last month.

How would Kerry as veep go down?
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing more state polling.

I need to admit: I am a huge fan of Kerry. I have always really liked his views, and I've always thought he was a smart and remarkable guy. He's not a bad politician; he's a great debater and has been very good for the Obama campaign, appearing on TV and such, he just wasn't a great presidential candidate. Plus, he endorsed Obama before it was "the thing to do." So while it's likely it won't happen, and it's not a move that a lot of people are pushing for, I would love to see Kerry be his running mate.

GhaleonEB said:
How would Kerry as veep go down?

I actually wouldn't mind this, he has impressed me a great deal as a surrogate/attack dog, and he definitely has nationary security credentials.. but I don't think it''l happen, too much baggage plus he kinds of takes some luster off of the ticket. I really like him though, he's unfairly maligned and he wasn't as bad of a candidate as people say.

My shortlist:

TIM KAINE (he'd be perfect)
MARK WARNER
BRIAN SCHWEITZER (someone mentioned him a few days ago so I did some research and he is awesome)
WES CLARK
BRAD HENRY
KATHY SEBELIUS

dream ticket:

OBAMA/WEXLER :D

Star Power said:
My shortlist:

TIM KAINE
MARK WARNER
BRIAN SCHEWITZER (someone mentioned him a few days ago so I did some research and he is awesome)
WES CLARK
BRAD HENRY
KATHY SEBELIUS
Nice list, but no Senators/potential Senators. They're way too close to 60 seats to squander that opportunity. So I'd take off Warner and stick to governors and/or military types. Since they're going to want to pick up Virginia, I'm thinking Kaine is a pretty good bet.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Star Power said:
I actually wouldn't mind this, he has impressed me a great deal as a surrogate/attack dog, and he definitely has nationary security credentials.. but I don't think it''l happen, too much baggage plus he kinds of takes some luster off of the ticket. I really like him though, he's unfairly maligned and he wasn't as bad of a candidate as people say.
I honestly thought he would have made a great executive, but as a candidate in a campaign he was pretty lousy.

AniHawk

Star Power said:

My shortlist:

TIM KAINE (he'd be perfect)
MARK WARNER
BRIAN SCHWEITZER (someone mentioned him a few days ago so I did some research and he is awesome)
WES CLARK
BRAD HENRY
KATHY SEBELIUS

dream ticket:

OBAMA/WEXLER :D

Unfortunately, Robert Wexler admits he enjoys cocaine because it's a fun thing to do and that it enhances the enjoyment of being with prostitutes.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Read that Gerson column today. There's some really annoying stuff in there like always, but I thought this was spot on:

Michael Gerson said:
All these experiences, political and personal, have created a unique candidate -- a man more driven by instincts of honor than ideology, predisposed to believe in his own virtue, equally predisposed to confuse opposition with dishonor. At its worst, this approach has alienated many of his Senate colleagues, and it reportedly led McCain to the brink of leaving the Republican Party in 2001, more out of pique than principle. At its best, this approach has seemed like a populist, reform-minded conservatism, aimed at breaking up concentrated, selfish interests that threaten the public good -- from his campaign against big tobacco, to his anger at inflated corporate salaries, to his disgust with congressional earmarks and pork-barrel spending, to his support for increased automobile fuel efficiency standards and a cap-and-trade system to limit carbon emissions.

Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution calls McCain's policy agenda "a promiscuous heap of interesting ideas that will not cohere in one administration" -- a judgment some Republicans share. Up to this point in the campaign, the charge has not been much of a problem -- in this environment, a reliable, robotic Republican of the Romney sort would be nowhere near Obama in the polls.

McCain really seems to believe all the press he's gotten as an independent minded straight talker. He has so much faith in his own awesome above-the-frayness that he doesn't bother with wonky policy details or even putting together a coherent philosophy for what government should do.

Also, if he gets challenged he can get veeeeeeeery snippy about it. Remember him flipping out on Obama during the ethics bill thing a couple years ago?

This is something he seems to have in common with Bush. They both think that their own makeup is superior enough to justify moral certitude in the face of pretty much anything.

reilo

Mandark said:
Read that Gerson column today. There's some really annoying stuff in there like always, but I thought this was spot on:

McCain really seems to believe all the press he's gotten as an independent minded straight talker. He has so much faith in his own awesome above-the-frayness that he doesn't bother with wonky policy details or even putting together a coherent philosophy for what government should do.

Also, if he gets challenged he can get veeeeeeeery snippy about it. Remember him flipping out on Obama during the ethics bill thing a couple years ago?

This is something he seems to have in common with Bush. They both think that their own makeup is superior enough to justify moral certitude in the face of pretty much anything.

See, maybe it's just me, but that's what elitism is to me. Thinking you are above the fray and morally superior to others in spite of all the insurmountable evidence that is flat out telling you that you are wrong on whatever position that you take.

If somehow Obama loses, I wonder if the (stronger) Dem majority in Senate will really play hardball on judicial nominees and the like. I wish I were optimistic. Don't lose, Obama (I still think he'll win, but anything can happen in elections).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ICallItFutile said:
Earlier today, I noticed a person I knew from high school had their Facebook status saying they'd leave the country if Obama became the next president. When I asked him to explain why, this was his reasoning:

Why GAF? Why? How many people out there think this?
I'm amused that your acquaintance believes a foreign-born citizen can become president. Clearly he's ignorant about a great many things.

reilo said:
See, maybe it's just me, but that's what elitism is to me. Thinking you are above the fray and morally superior to others in spite of all the insurmountable evidence that is flat out telling you that you are wrong on whatever position that you take.
Classic GOP move. Accuse the opposition of being what you are.

TDG

Banned
Hitokage said:
I honestly thought he would have made a great executive, but as a candidate in a campaign he was pretty lousy.
Of course, the entire party was pretty lousy in 2004. That was back in the "let the rebups walk all over us, maybe people will feel sorry for us" days. But yeah, the guy has been a great surrogate for Obama, and he really does know his shit.

Rally around it, PoliGAF: Obama-Kerry 08

00096bb163c308f1035908.jpg

10obamakerry.533.jpg

Joe

that aol.com poll with mccain leading bothers me...i know it shouldn't but it does. i want this damn thing to be a cakewalk the entire time.

TDG

Banned
Sharp said:
Kerry doesn't look like a VP candidate in those pictures.
No, he looks like a badass.

Joe said:
that aol.com poll with mccain leading bothers me...i know it shouldn't but it does. i want this damn thing to be a cakewalk the entire time.
It's because democrats are smart enough to not go to aol.com for any reason.

Besides, I could go to my grocery store and compare the number of laundry detergents with red logos and the number of laundry detergents with blue logos, and my results would be as relevant to the actual election as that poll is.

Except I'd call my poll - wait for it - The Laundry Detergent Logo Decision 2008 Poll.

Sleeker

reilo said:
barnowl010306m.jpg

"JEW JEW"

:lol :lol

Goddammit Colbert.

Context: Colbert talks about the new official bird of Israel that was chosen, and he goes in to talk about that the Barn Owl was passed over as it had the drawback of being a bad omen for Arabs. He then plays a clip of the Barn Owl's mating call, and it's someone going "JEW JEW" while mimicking an owl.

They chose an owl huh?

How curious....

bohemian-owl.jpg

TDG

Banned
Sharp said:
He looks like a cardboard cutout and his face looks like it was chiseled from granite and then painted over.
You think that's bad, just look at the size of Obama's ears! Or McCain's head! :lol

Oh, the joy of critisizing people based on their appearance!

Time to dig up the deep dirt fellow republican gaffers.

I wonder if Obama had anything to do with the mass voter fraud in the Chicago area when Bush beat Al Gore during the 2000 election. It was supposed to be investigated, by GW wanted to "heal"

There were quite a few reports of democratic grassroots groups using illegal enticements to gather up voters. That's in addition to all the dead voters for Al Gore. Obama got where he is by playing Chicago politics, I wonder if he has a few skeletons in his closet about this.

reilo

Tyrannical said:

I wonder if Obama had anything to do with the mass voter fraud in the Chicago area when Bush beat Al Gore during the 2000 election. It was supposed to be investigated, by GW wanted to "heal"

There were quite a few reports of democratic grassroots groups using illegal enticements to gather up voters. That's in addition to all the dead voters for Al Gore. Obama got where he is by playing Chicago politics, I wonder if he has a few skeletons in his closet about this.
You'd fit right in!

fox_news-753140.jpg

Tyrannical said:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

*laughs*

numble

Tyrannical said:

In 2000, besides serving in the Illinois Senate and being out of grassroots organizing, Obama was spending his time losing a Democratic primary election for a US House seat by a margin greater than 2-to-1. Yeah, he really knows how to cheat and play dirty to win an election.

Oh, there is dirt to be found on Obama.

Chicago politics is beyond corrupt, and the slickest thief usualy wins. He's either the only honest democrat to ever come out of Chicago or he has skeletons republican's are just drooling to uncover.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Legalissues/lm23.cfm

The above is just a general summary of how corrupt chicago is, but it's not the evidence I was looking for. I recall specific allegations on mental patients being bussed in and told how to vote. Since Obama was relatively unknown circa Nov 2000, I don't expect to find his name in any news reports I couls stumble on. But since he was so involved in Chicago vote drives, there is no way there isn't a big smoking gun just waiting to be found.

How to steal an election (Chicago Style)

Vote early and vote often
Our election get-out-the-vote effort was pioneered by Mayor Richard Daley in 1960 when he stole the election from Richard Nixon.

1. Cemetery Voters: Read the obituaries every day. One must keep track of everyone who dies, so that they can be registered in the appropriate cemetery precinct. We have voters in the Mt. Olive Cemetery who have been voting for 100 years. Relatives will often assist as keeping the dead voter on the rolls also keeps the Social Security checks coming in. If you know of someone who used to live in Chicago and who died, they are still eligible to vote.

2. Homeless Voters: Register the homeless at the Cook County Courthouse instead of General Delivery. All they have to do is hang out at the courthouse one day a year to claim residency. Then round them up and give them free cigarettes to vote. We used to give them bottles of wine, but they couldn't remember to vote our way.

3. Nursing Home Voters: Early (or absentee) voting has greatly expanded our capabilities of increasing the turnout. Take bags full of early ballots to nursing homes, and get everyone in the home to vote...especially the Alzheimer's cases.

4. College Students: College kids like to screw the system, and they'll vote more than once just for the sheer pleasure of it, especially kids at Catholic universities.

5. Voters Who Have Moved: Voters who have moved often can vote in the precinct where they used to live, and then in their new precinct. They will not be on the rolls in the new precinct, so they'll vote a "Provisional Ballot." Not to worry. When the ballot is questioned after the election, we will have our political hacks permit the votes to be counted.

6. Voters Passing Through O'Hare: Many votes can be obtained by soliciting voter registration at our airports. They are legally residents of Chicago, at least for a few minutes.

7. Motor Voters: Take license plate numbers of out-of-state cars passing through on the freeways, run them through DMV to get their addresses, and automatically register them in Chicago. Then vote them. They won't know, since they actually live in Wyoming.

8. Illegal Aliens: Some of our most reliable voters are the thousands of illegal aliens we have in the city. In exchange for not telling INS where they live or work, one can get a solid block of votes.

9. Newborns: Our children are more and more precocious, so we register them at birth. Maternity wards are some of our best precincts.

10. Recount The Votes: In the unlikely event our candidates don't win the first count, then demand a recount. Fill the recount room with loyal supporters, and tow away the cars belonging to the enemy. If you can't win a recount, then you are not a Chicago Democrat.

Tyrannical said:
Oh, there is dirt to be found on Obama.

Chicago politics is beyond corrupt, and the slickest thief usualy wins. He's either the only honest democrat to ever come out of Chicago or he has skeletons republican's are just drooling to uncover.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Legalissues/lm23.cfm

The above is just a general summary of how corrupt chicago is, but it's not the evidence I was looking for. I recall specific allegations on mental patients being bussed in and told how to vote. Since Obama was relatively unknown circa Nov 2000, I don't expect to find his name in any news reports I couls stumble on. But since he was so involved in Chicago vote drives, there is no way there isn't a big smoking gun just waiting to be found.
And yet Bush was still given the presidency regardless of voter fraud.

Oh wait? It's ok for Republicans to commit real voter fraud, but just because Obama is a Chicago Democrat there needs to be a deeper look? How about in Texas on election day in 2000?

That's fine too?

Makes perfect sense!

Chicago doesn't breed dirty politicians. Being dirty though, is almost a Republican requirement.

Makes perfect sense.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
I heartily look forward to the talking point of Obama The Ruthless Chicago Ward Heeler coexisting with that of Obama The Inexperienced Naif.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mandark said:
I heartily look forward to the talking point of Obama The Ruthless Chicago Ward Heeler coexisting with that of Obama The Inexperienced Naif.
Never underestimate Americans' ability to live with deep cognitive dissonances.

numble

This is a pretty great article about Obama written in 1995, before he entered politics. Similar to the stories about Hillary as president of the Republican club at her college, or the many stories of McCain's changes in stances over the years, you can really see how different he was back then, as opposed to the finely crafted image he presents now:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/archive/barackobama/

Oh, wait, he's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom