• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smiles and Cries said:
I kinda feel sorry for McCain

after Hillary this is going to be a long boring road. So I pray Obama does not fall asleep and lose in November
I know you're not speaking in literal terms, but dude...Obama is fired up. He won't let us down.

The American people, however, just might let us down...

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Might as well stop posting daily tracking polls unless they show meaningful movement or trend.

Some new state polls today though.
Its a bit of good and meh news, good outways the meh though.

The meh is his boost stopped. Every pollster has it around 6% give or take 1%. The good news is it wasn't temporary. It's been solid for a week now. The longer it stays the more likely it wont dip much.

eznark

Banned
The Lamonster said:
When he gets into office, the perception may change. I welcome an administration that isn't in "permanent campaign" mode. I want him to get to work!

Many, many complaints can be made about the Bush administration, but that is not one I would make.

http://www.miamiherald.com/campaign08/story/567156.html

Vice President Dick Cheney got into the mix Wednesday, telling the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that ``oil is being drilled right now 60 miles off the coast of Florida. We're not doing it. The Chinese are in cooperation with the Cuban government.

''Even the communists have figured out that a good answer to high prices is more supply,'' he added. ``Yet Congress has said . . . no to drilling off Florida.''

The renewed efforts prompted Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, who opposes drilling off Florida's coast, to take to the Senate floor Wednesday to -- as his office put it -- ''debunk the myth'' of China drilling in Cuban waters.

''Reports to the contrary are simply false,'' Martinez said, his remarks delivered just before Cheney spoke. ``They are akin to urban legends. China drilling off the coast of Cuba only 60 miles from the Keys, that is not taking place. . . Any talk of using some fabricated Cuba-China connection as an argument to change U.S. policy has no merit.''

Cheebs

eznark said:
Many, many complaints can be made about the Bush administration, but that is not one I would make.
I agree. Bill Clinton was in permant campaign mode. He always did things to keep his approval rating high, tried to take the popular opinion on many issues for that reason...etc. Bush never gave a fuck about public opinion.

Anyone who doesn't think the Bush White House wasn't in permanent campaign mode is deluding themselves. The MCA specifically comes to mind.

eznark

Banned
Cheebs said:
I agree. Bill Clinton was in permant campaign mode. He always did things to keep his approval rating high, tried to take the popular opinion on many issues for that reason...etc. Bush never gave a fuck about public opinion.

In the end, that's about the last positive to take from what at first were a promising 8 years.

Cheebs

Incognito said:
Anyone who doesn't think the Bush White House wasn't in permanent campaign mode is deluding themselves. The MCA specifically comes to mind.
Why in the world is he not attempting to save his freefalling approval rating then now?

eznark said:
In the end, that's about the last positive to take from what at first were a promising 8 years.
He did recently say he regrets the strong rhetoric he used in talking about invading Iraq and capturing Bin Laden.

eznark

Banned
The Lamonster said:
He did recently say he regrets the strong rhetoric he used in talking about invading Iraq and capturing Bin Laden.

there's a difference between playing politics to bully congress and campaigning for votes.

Cheebs

eznark said:
there's a difference between playing politics to bully congress and campaigning for votes.
Yep. Like I said, even after Bill Clinton won re-election he was still obsessed with maintaining his 60%+ approval rating and always went out of his way to appease the public to maintain it. Something only those up for re-election tend to do, but Bill always acted in that way. Bush never cared.

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
Yeah. The tax cuts are expiring now so that they could campaign on not raising taxes. Campaigning was built right into their policy. And McCain is running with it.

eznark

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. The tax cuts are expiring now so that they could campaign on not raising taxes. Campaigning was built right into their policy. And McCain is running with it.

I guaranty if the Democrats had been willing to make them permanent the GOP would have been more than happy to not include the sunset.

Chrono said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BmlB13z-ug

Uh, does that guy really fit Obama's style? -_-;

Isn't he also a lobbyist? I can imagine the McCain ads quoting Obama saying lobbyists won't run his White House and then pointing out his VP's resume.
Chuck Todd speculated that Obama isn't going to pick him. They just wanted to get his name out there, as a way to show Obama is open to choosing a military guy.

In fact, I guaranty Obama won't pick Jones!

syllogism

From NBC's Mark Murray
In the latest NBC/WSJ poll, Obama leads McCain by six points (47%-41%) among registered voters. While polls can't accurately gauge an election five months out -- after all, so much can still happen -- it's worth putting Obama's lead into this perspective: Bush never trailed Kerry in the 2004 NBC/WSJ polls that measured registered voters' preference for Bush, Kerry, and Nader. And Bush's lead was never bigger than four points.

Bush won that presidential election by three percentage points, 51%-48%.

Here were the NBC/WSJ trial heats from March 2004 (when Kerry pretty much locked up the nomination) to late October 2004:
March (Mar.6-8): Bush 46%, Kerry 43%, Nader 5%
May (May 1-3): Bush 46%, Kerry 42%, Nader 5%
June (June 25-28): Bush 45%, Kerry 44%, Nader 4%
July (July 19-21): Bush 47%, Kerry 45%, Nader 2%
August (Aug.23-25): Bush 47%, Kerry 45%, Nader 3%
September (Sept.17-19): Bush 48%, Kerry 45%, Nader 2%
Mid October (Oct.16-18): Bush 48%, Kerry 46%, Nader 2%
Late October (Oct.29-31): Bush 48%, Kerry 47%, Nader 1%

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/06/12/1135634.aspx

Cheebs

Odd that polls with nader in the spring have him do way better than he ends up doing, I've noticed that lately in polls that include him this time too.

TDG

Banned
Cheebs said:
Odd that polls with nader in the spring have him do way better than he ends up doing, I've noticed that lately in polls that include him this time too.
Probably all those "Oh fuck it I'm so mad at my country's politics I'm voting 3rd party!" dumbfucks who came to their senses as the year went on.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
That always happens, which sadly might mean Babar can't even get that 6-8% in Georgia.

Eric P

numble said:
This is a pretty great article about Obama written in 1995, before he entered politics. Similar to the stories about Hillary as president of the Republican club at her college, or the many stories of McCain's changes in stances over the years, you can really see how different he was back then, as opposed to the finely crafted image he presents now:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/archive/barackobama/

Oh, wait, he's the same.

finally got a chance to read this.

good stuff

the comments section that is

I'm trying to understand how it is that a man who had such a hard time letting go of 2 hate spewing racists had no problem at all with throwing his "typical white" grandmother under the bus or denying his true ethnic makeup.Yes he had a white mother, but his father was actually 87.5% Arabic and only 12.5% African Negro. One might accuse him of being an opportunist.Afterall many more doors were open to him with respect to education and employment by ignoring his true nationality, (Arabic American),and using his skin color to take advantage of benefits that otherwise might not be available to him.

I'm trying to understand how it is that a man who had such a hard time letting go of 2 hate spewing racists had no problem at all with throwing his "typical white" grandmother under the bus or denying his true ethnic makeup.Yes he had a white mother, but his father was actually 87.5% Arabic and only 12.5% African Negro. One might accuse him of being an opportunist.Afterall many more doors were open to him with respect to education and employment by ignoring his true nationality, (Arabic American),and using his skin color to take advantage of benefits that otherwise might not be available to him.
Wow....what a bullshit comment.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
That always happens, which sadly might mean Babar can't even get that 6-8% in Georgia.
I agree. I know we all wish Babar would do well to fuck with republicans but I think in the end he'll get a insignificant amount.

Lemonz

Obama's birth certificate has been released by the campaign because his citizenship is being questioned. :lol

BO_Birth_Certificate_thumb.jpg

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/12/11012/6168/320/534616

Lemonz

eznark said:
Who questioned Obama's citizenship? Was it questioned in the NYT like McCain?
One of them was Michelle Malkin. She was claiming Obama was born in another country because he hasn't released his birth certificate. This bullshit was starting to catch-on in the blogs.

eznark

Banned
Lemonz said:
One of them was Michelle Malkin. She was claiming Obama was born in another country because he hasn't released his birth certificate. This bullshit was starting to catch-on in the blogs.

Hmm, hadn't heard it before. Tit for tat I suppose.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Lemonz said:

You would think that there was a little thin line of decency for media to have, instead of just going balls out to shame a person.

eznark

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
You would think that there was a little thin line of decency for media to have, instead of just going balls out to shame a person.

there is nothing wrong with being indignant about something like this as long as it's for the right reasons. Were you also pissed at the NYT for suggesting McCain was ineligible to be president because he was born on a naval base in Panama?

I don't think blogs or message boards or internet communities should be held to a very high standard, the users of those can judge for themselves, but when a once reputable newspaper prints stuff like that it's a tad ridiculous. i would say Malkin falls somewhere in between. Because of her high readership she should be held to some standard of decency, and this is just as bad as the Times.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
eznark said:
there is nothing wrong with being indignant about something like this as long as it's for the right reasons. Were you also pissed at the NYT for suggesting McCain was ineligible to be president because he was born on a naval base in Panama?

I don't think blogs or message boards or internet communities should be held to a very high standard, the users of those can judge for themselves, but when a once reputable newspaper prints stuff like that it's a tad ridiculous. i would say Malkin falls somewhere in between. Because of her high readership she should be held to some standard of decency, and this is just as bad as the Times.

It goes both ways but for person after person after person to try to throw something at the wall in hopes for it to stick is a bit pathetic.

Tamanon

Banned
Besides, Malkin wasn't genuinely interested in whether he was really American born or not. It's all part of a narrative with her questioning his nationality.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Agent Icebeezy said:
It goes both ways but for person after person after person to try to throw something at the wall in hopes for it to stick is a bit pathetic.
It's just desperation from the usual suspects on the right-wing smear squad. They know their "team" is backed into a corner so they've got find something to attack with, even if it's without substance. For them, attacking is always better than not attacking so they've got to keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom