• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of USA General Elections (DAWN OF THE VEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

That has always been the same though, even for Clinton.

What's worrying is the lack of women backing Obama right now (according to MSNBC as well).

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-07-28-mccain_x.htm

From 2004:
At a July 15 appearance in Michigan, McCain dampened the speculation by calling Cheney “one of the most capable, experienced, intelligent and steady vice presidents this country has ever had.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0608/11000.html

Today:
Going further, McCain even told Hayes in comments heretofore unpublished that he’d consider Cheney for an administration post.

Asked whether he’d be interested in Cheney had the vice president not already have served under Bush for two terms, McCain said: “I don’t know if I would want him as vice president. He and I have the same strengths. But to serve in other capacities? Hell, yeah.”

BTW, that Stephen Hayes character is the same fellow who believes that Al Qeada existed in Iraq before the invasion and was also the official biographer of Dick Cheney. They guy is not to be taken seriously_at_all.

PS. When I stopped by parents house to wish my mom happy birthday I noticed a huge Obama poster. This was pretty startling because both of my parents are/were staunch Republicans yet she said she was voting for Obama in a heartbeat and that McCain is "batshit insane." :lol

Diablos said:
That has always been the same though, even for Clinton.

What's worrying is the lack of women backing Obama right now (according to MSNBC as well).

That was a particular demographic. Pretty soon NBC is going to have to start polling KKK members just so they'll have an excuse to float a story about Obama not garnering the support of a certain group. I mean, what the hell did I actually witness on David Gregory's horrific show? McCain is getting slaughtered in the black, latino, women, youth and even BLUE COLLAR demographics and the last 30 minutes was spent hemming and hawwwing about why Obama can't win the White Male vote. Or the Suburban female vote. Now I remembered why I stopped watching those shows. Or as my mother put it tonight, "I guess the rest of the electorate doesn't count!"

In the head-to-head matchup, Obama leads McCain among African Americans (83-7 percent), Hispanics (62-28), women (52-33), Catholics (47-40), independents (41-36) and even blue-collar workers (47-42). Obama is also ahead among those who said they voted for Clinton in the Democratic primaries (61-19).

Triumph

Banned
Tamanon said:
Plus come on, just because he's not with the campaign doesn't mean that he won't help with the vetting anyways.:p

Besides, didn't he pick out Lieberman?
No, Johnson picked Geraldine Ferraro (ugh) and Edwards (mills!)

Barack Obama: Busy American Father

capt.e53720ce39934d8184dac5ba2165e3d4.obama_2008_ilab102.jpg

capt.7e9a5ffdc36a4908ac66b6f805953600.obama_2008_ilab109.jpg

Then making a surprise visit to 8th-grade graduating class of the Young Women's Leadership Charter School of Chicago:

capt.cps.mrt55.120608011727.photo01.photo.default-512x341.jpg

capt.1b90a63ae06f42a684e056775e3e5f1d.obama_2008_ilab111.jpg

capt.80f20d45ff44435887a3c0b9f4407bf3.obama_2008_ilab106.jpg

A quiet moment in the car on the way home:

capt.e7e425c0b60b481f942cb9b1fd9cf531.obama_2008_ilpb103.jpg

capt.94dd5ca0c0c34cd88ceeb6061047737f.obama_2008_ilpb101.jpg

capt.9b2e976e69fe41fe8905fb4ab75ac94b.obama_2008_ilpb102.jpg

He's gettin' some tonight is my guess. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's hilarious the way McCain can't even seem to figure out what message he wants to send. One day he's distancing himself from Bush, the next he's completely embracing him. You can't convince America if you can't convince yourself!

McCain should pick Ted Stevens as his running mate, and then someone should ask them about 21st century computer/internet related issues...massive lulz would ensue

edit: awesome pic stolen from DailyKos

mccaindumbinternetnd8.jpg

Kusagari

StoOgE said:
yupp.. and thats a state McCain considers "in play".

They are so completely fucked its not even funny.

Wait no, it is funny.

The only person who considers Washington in play is McCain. It's one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal, states in the country.

esbern

meanwhile.

WE FUCKING ATTACKED PAKISTAN LAST NIGHT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7449060.stm

Pakistan's Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has condemned an air strike by Afghanistan-based US forces that Islamabad says killed 11 of its troops.
The incident took place inside Pakistan, near the border with Afghanistan.
The US military confirmed it had used artillery and air strikes after coming under fire from "anti-Afghan" forces.
The incident comes as relations between the US and Pakistan militaries have been hit by mounting tensions.
The soldiers' deaths occurred overnight at a border post in the mountainous Gora Prai region in Mohmand, one of Pakistan's tribal areas, across the border from Afghanistan's Kunar province.
Eight Taleban militants were also killed in the clashes, a Taleban spokesman said.

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder how Abrams is really going to twist that NBC poll to make it sound like Clinton will help the ticket.

22% Clinton will make them more likely to vote for Obama
21% Clinton will make them less likely to vote for Obama
55% No effect

It's basically like he's not even choosing a VP.:lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
soul creator said:
McCain should pick Ted Stevens as his running mate, and then someone should ask them about 21st century computer/internet related issues...massive lulz would ensue

edit: awesome pic stolen from DailyKos
Video of McCain admitting he doesn't know how to use a computer

Jeez, my grandmother has a few years on him and has been out of the workplace since before personal computing emerged, and she knows how to get around a computer and the Internet.

Also, what's up with Romney, the guy that wanted to double Guantanamo, saying he liked The Bourne Ultimatum?

Tamanon

Banned
We do that all the time, that's the airstrikes into Pakistan against known Al Qaeda targets that Obama was raked over the coals by Clinton for.

Chichikov

Kusagari said:
The only person who considers Washington in play is McCain. It's one of the most liberal, if not the most liberal, states in the country.
Not as liberal as you think; NY, California, Massachusetts are all more liberal.
Now don’t get me wrong, I doubt it’s going to be in play, but venture outside the greater Seattle area, especially east, and it’s GOP country.

Cheebs

Chichikov said:
Not as liberal as you think; NY, California, Massachusetts are all more liberal.
Now don’t get me wrong, I doubt it’s going to be in play, but venture outside the greater Seattle area, especially east, and it’s GOP country.
As of yesterday's polling Obama has a MASSIVE 17% lead there.

GhaleonEB

StoOgE said:
yupp.. and thats a state McCain considers "in play".

They are so completely fucked its not even funny.

Wait no, it is funny.
Yeah. That "strategy briefing" was the McCain camp trying to show that they could put as many states into play as Obama does. Fail. :lol

Is there an image blocker plug-in for IE7?

Tamanon

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

"Hey....where's the statistic for black women? I see white women, all women, suburban women"

And Tucker is really getting more partisan now that it's general election time.

Sharp

Xdrive05 said:
Has anyone here read "The Audacity of Hope" or listened to the audiobook?

It's got serifs, goddam.
I'm reading it right now. Great book, and really makes me very confident that Obama will be an excellent president.

VPhys

Tamanon said:
:lol :lol :lol

"Hey....where's the statistic for black women? I see white women, all women, suburban women"

And Tucker is really getting more partisan now that it's general election time.

Yep, you can tell by listening to him right now.

as for "suburban women," where is that MSNBC parody Chris Matthews discussion when you need it?

edit: found it: :lol

stressboy

Chichikov said:

Luckily, most of that is just empty space.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. That "strategy briefing" was the McCain camp trying to show that they could put as many states into play as Obama does. Fail. :lol

yeah, but a ton of these states that are "in play" are probably just as not in play as WA is.

Sharp

GhaleonEB said:

Aw, why are you stuck with that old browser? There are like eleven better alternatives!

GhaleonEB

Sharp said:
Aw, why are you stuck with that old browser? There are like eleven better alternatives!
It works. I used Firefox for a while a couple years back and it just pissed me off to no end (deleted my bookmarks three times, for starters). The only thing I miss is adblock. I've got some guys on Ignore because of their avatar, but I'd rather just block the avatar.

Sharp

I highly recommend giving Firefox 3 a chance when it comes out (in like a week I think?), it's really a significant improvement on both IE and older versions of Firefox. Anyway, if you're determined to use IE, I think there is an ad blocker available for it. Not sure if it's free, though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Is this old about Bobby Jindal?

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/06/bobby_jindals_dance_with_the_d.php

We've discovered that in an essay Jindal wrote in 1994 for the New Oxford Review, a serious right-wing Catholic journal, Jindal narrated a bizarre story of a personal encounter with a demon, in which he participated in an exorcism with a group of college friends. And not only did they cast out the supernatural spirit that had possessed his friend, Jindal wrote that he believes that their ritual may well have cured her cancer.

The students, led by Susan's sister and Louise, a member of a charismatic church, engaged in loud and desperate prayers while holding Susan with one hand. Kneeling on the ground, my friends were chanting, "Satan, I command you to leave this woman." Others exhorted all "demons to leave in the name of Christ." It is no exaggeration to note the tears and sweat among those assembled. Susan lashed out at the assembled students with verbal assaults.
Whenever I concentrated long enough to begin prayer, I felt some type of physical force distracting me. It was as if something was pushing down on my chest, making it very hard for me to breathe. . . Though I could find no cause for my chest pains, I was very scared of what was happening to me and Susan. I began to think that the demon would only attack me if I tried to pray or fight back; thus, I resigned myself to leaving it alone in an attempt to find peace for myself.
Maybe she sensed our weariness; whether by plan or coincidence, Susan chose the perfect opportunity to attempt an escape. She suddenly leapt up and ran for the door, despite the many hands holding her down. This burst of action served to revive the tired group of students and they soon had her restrained once again, this time half kneeling and half standing.
It appeared as if we were observing a tremendous battle between the Susan we knew and loved and some strange evil force. But the momentum had shifted and we now sensed that victory was at hand.

While Alice and Louise held Susan, her sister continued holding the Bible to her face. Almost taunting the evil spirit that had almost beaten us minutes before, the students dared Susan to read biblical passages. She choked on certain passages and could not finish the sentence "Jesus is Lord." Over and over, she repeated "Jesus is L..L..LL," often ending in profanities. In between her futile attempts, Susan pleaded with us to continue trying and often smiled between the grimaces that accompanied her readings of Scripture. Just as suddenly as she went into the trance, Susan suddenly reappeared and claimed "Jesus is Lord."

With an almost comical smile, Susan then looked up as if awakening from a deep sleep and asked, "Has something happened?" She did not remember any of the past few hours and was startled to find her friends breaking out in cheers and laughter, overwhelmed by sudden joy and relief.
When the operation occurred, the surgeons found no traces of cancerous cells. Susan claimed she had felt healed after the group prayer and can remember the sensation of being 'purified.'

Tamanon

Banned
I hadn't heard about it, but it makes sense, he's a hardcore Christian, moreso than most evangelicals. I think Huckabee is slightly less religious:p

Kaeru

Banned
Tamanon said:
I hadn't heard about it, but it makes sense, he's a hardcore Christian, moreso than most evangelicals. I think Huckabee is slightly less religious:p

Typical of converts, they always gotta go harder to prove that they real.

Xisiqomelir

GhaleonEB said:
It works. I used Firefox for a while a couple years back and it just pissed me off to no end (deleted my bookmarks three times, for starters). The only thing I miss is adblock. I've got some guys on Ignore because of their avatar, but I'd rather just block the avatar.

You could use Opera or Safari for windows. Pretty much everything is better than IE.

Tamanon

Banned
Breaking news from the guest on Daily Show. He has written a book that voters are dumb and uneducated about issues.

NEW AND EXCITING REVELATIONS!

Tamanon said:
Breaking news from the guest on Daily Show. He has written a book that voters are dumb and uneducated about issues.

NEW AND EXCITING REVELATIONS!
Who's the guest? (I watch early morning reruns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom