• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

Anyone watching MSNBC?

Mika has been defending Palin nonstop. Which is fucked up. Mika is a democrat and her dad is a foreign policy advisor on the Obama campaign. wtf is she doing?

Fatalah

Cheebs said:
Anyone watching MSNBC?

Mika has been defending Palin nonstop. Which is fucked up. Mika is a democrat and her dad is a foreign policy advisor on the Obama campaign. wtf is she doing?

Wow, I just turned to it and Mika was admiring Palin for going on a plane while she was in the early stages of giving birth.

Cheebs

Incognito said:
In Rasmussmen? Up 9% in the new Diego/Hotline poll?

I was doing air pumps for a good 5 minutes when I saw those numbers.
What type of bump do you expect for McCain after Thursday seeing how monday was cancelled and today's lineup for anyone who isn't super right wing is miserably weak (though wed. and Thursday have big big speakers to be fair)?

Barrett2

Has this been posted? Apparently McCain camp is trying to stall the Alaska legislative report detailing the Palin investigation until after the election!

Alaska state senator Hollis French, who is running an investigation of Gov. Sarah Palin, says the McCain campaign is using stall tactics to prevent him from releasing his final report by Oct. 31st.
(The Associated Press)

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
I hit the button only once I swear! :lol

From what I hear he is moved till tomorrow. Thompson is now the keynote speaker.
Fred is the keynote? Gonna have to take some Vivarin before the speech.

Cheebs said:
What type of bump do you expect for McCain after Thursday seeing how monday was cancelled and today's lineup for anyone who isn't super right wing is miserably weak (though wed. and Thursday have big big speakers to be fair)?

Honestly, with all the Palin nonsense and multiple tropical storms threatening the coast, I would be surprised if McCain received anything as large as a 3% bump. If that. I think the shine is off this pig -- for good. As Frag pointed out earlier, I think, the number of undecideds have collapsed dramatically since the DNC convention and I don't see them moving back onto the fence. Especially after the Palin selection and subsequent barrage of bad news that has followed...

GhaleonEB

lawblob said:
Has this been posted? Apparently McCain camp is trying to stall the Alaska legislative report detailing the Palin investigation until after the election!
Oh that's just plain sleazy. Why push for delay if she's innocent?

giga

saelz8 said:
dfzi4o.jpg

Story starting to gain traction.
crazy eyes is right

Picture+2.png

lawblob said:
I don't see, in that article, how they can stall it. The Legislature already decided the date when it would be released.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm telling you guys since Friday, they will throw Palin under the bus if they feel they have no choice. She'll step down and the McCain camp will blame it on the godless sexist liberal media being unfair and trying to destroy her family.
Yep. And McCain is going to have to replace her with someone the fundies will love even more, or they will completely abandon him. It won't be anyone like Huck, though, I think he's smart enough to not jump aboard a sinking ship. Some real hardcore born-again fundamentalist from out of deep right field. This is going to be like Alberto Gonzalez, who made me look back fondly on John Ashcroft.

Cheebs

GhaleonEB said:
Fred is the keynote? Gonna have to take some Vivarin before the speech.
Keynotes are usually used to showcase new up and coming party leaders.

Republicans use it to show a really old boring retired senator. It is mind boggling. It's not like Thompson is even a good speaker.

Cheebs said:
CNN briefly mentioned it but never really said much else. It seems worthy to be a big story to me but barely is gaining traction despite ABC and the NYTimes reporting she was a member of this anti-american (wanting to leave the union is the definition of anti-american pretty much) political party.
I don't think it will break big until they start airing interviews with some of the crazier members.

Cheebs

Shiggie said:
I love ABC now! First they investigate the Lobbying parties at BOTH conventions and now investigative reporting *Glee*.
ABC are the ones who uncovered the Wright videos also. They this election have shown themselves to be very tough on investigative reporting, for both sides.

Barrett2

...meanwhile, Romney probably continues to foam with rage, resigned to the fact that despite being a Harvard lawyer/MBA with plenty of business & governmental experience, at the end of the day his party would rather choose a sideshow, disastrous amateur than a rich Mormon. Amazing..

Shiggie

Cheebs said:
Anyone watching MSNBC?

She likes falls for the mother/strong woman crap.

I think, the number of undecideds have collapsed dramatically since the DNC convention and I don't see them moving back onto the fence.

Yeah, the 49-51% numbers with only 5-6% undecided in some of the polls are bigger news than the 6-8 point leads. Now McCain has to not just win over undecideds, but he also has to start convincing self-identified Obama supporters to vote for him.

Right now the rout is clearly on. McCain needs a solid RNC bounce very badly, and I'd say at this point that tonight's lineup isn't going to help him much. Sorta remains to be seen if night 3 and 4 can be any better, but I think they are going to have a really hard time Thrusday with the press comparing McCain's stagecraft with Obama's appearance at Invesco Field (not to mention a hurricane landfall starting in GA/SC that night, which will also sap coverage).

Shiggie

Cheebs said:
ABC are the ones who uncovered the Wright videos also. They this election have shown themselves to be very tough on investigative reporting, for both sides.
Yeah the Wright thing stung but this is what we need, more reporting and less punditry.

It's funny, Jindal received a ton of scrutiny for being inexperienced even though he has more then Palin. Had McCain waited until the convention to make the announcement and selected him after his dealing with the hurricane earlier in the week he'd have the perfect excuse to select someone so young.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
typhonsentra said:
It's funny, Jindal received a ton of scrutiny for being inexperienced even though he has more then Palin. Had McCain waited until the convention to make the announcement and selected him after his dealing with the hurricane earlier in the week he'd have the perfect excuse to select someone so young.
i don't think you can leave a convention without a VP in tow. also, Jindal doesn't have a vagina, which seems to be the biggest qualification McCain considered.

lawblob said:
Unfortunately, the state senator in charge of the investigation is very partisan and sounds like he's just waiting to find her guilty. Expect the repubs to run hard on that angle.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So, I'm reading the NYTimes article from Saturday, and I can at least understand to some degree what McCain was thinking:

-Needed to pivot message from "Experience vs. Change" to make him seem like a reformer as well. It seems like the campaign had already decided that the Experience line had run its course.

-Needed to appease the Republican base

-Make a grab at Hillary supporters

-Regain his maverick status

Of those, Only the second has happened, and the others seem to be backfiring right now.

Ponn

Banned
scorcho said:
i don't think you can leave a convention without a VP in tow. also, Jindal doesn't have a vagina, which seems to be the biggest qualification McCain considered.

Whats funny about that is all morning on both cnn and fox news i've been hearing about sexism and liberals attacking Palin and even back with Hillary. What gets me is the double standard being used that ANY attack no matter what is perceived as sexism which in itself is sexist to take the stance that if you are a woman you are some how immune to all and any attacks.

And on top of that McCain and the RNC are the biggest sexist for picking Palin purely on her sex and not her background, experience or credentials. And they will never, ever be called on it. Because that would be sexist.

Barrett2

adamsappel said:
Unfortunately, the state senator in charge of the investigation is very partisan and sounds like he's just waiting to find her guilty. Expect the repubs to run hard on that angle.

This could be similar, albeit to a smaller degree, to 1992, when the Special Prosecutor investigating Iran-Contra released his final report several days before the election.

Even though the report blasted Bush Sr., most Republicans ironically rallied around the report as just another example of liberal bias. These kinds of these probably do push independents away, though.

adg1034

Incognito said:
This is the scene in St. Paul.

I think the Republicans are expecting nuclear war or something?

pics

Heh. That's less than 2 miles from me right now.

Protesters are funny people.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
VanMardigan said:
So, I'm reading the NYTimes article from Saturday, and I can at least understand to some degree what McCain was thinking:

-Needed to pivot message from "Experience vs. Change" to make him seem like a reformer as well. It seems like the campaign had already decided that the Experience line had run its course.

-Needed to appease the Republican base

-Make a grab at Hillary supporters

-Regain his maverick status

Of those, Only the second has happened, and the others seem to be backfiring right now.

Backfiring on all cylinders lolamirite?

Read that Bush's last days article... kinda feel a bit sorry for the guy; things have been left in an extremely precarious state thanks to him, but at least the downward slide seems to have stopped for the moment. And he seems like a genuinely good guy with lots of character strength. But he was never competent... and he was never really elected on the basis of competency.

Shamefully McCain appears to be losing whatever competency he had and he doesn't even have the character of George W Bush, which is what got him by 2 elections.

While I'm confident Obama will sweep this election in a landslide, if for some reason, he doesn't win... (and it's not some overblown scandal about him that comes to past), then it pretty much shows that America simply is no longer willing and able for the liberal views and values that helped make them a powerhouse of the 20th century.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
lawblob said:
...meanwhile, Romney probably continues to foam with rage, resigned to the fact that despite being a Harvard lawyer/MBA with plenty of business & governmental experience, at the end of the day his party would rather choose a sideshow, disastrous amateur than a rich Mormon. Amazing..

I think, as sad as it is to say, that if Romney was a more mainstream Christian (Baptist), he'd not only be the presumptive Republican nominee, he may even have been leading Obama at this point, likely with a Romney/McCain ticket.

Cheebs

I know people like to make fun of Jinda for exorcism stuff...etc but people underestimate him at their own peril. If Obama is elected I'd go out on a limb and predict Jindal will be the nominee for republicans in 2012.

Barrett2

Ponn01 said:
Whats funny about that is all morning on both cnn and fox news i've been hearing about sexism and liberals attacking Palin and even back with Hillary. What gets me is the double standard being used that ANY attack no matter what is perceived as sexism which in itself is sexist to take the stance that if you are a woman you are some how immune to all and any attacks.

And on top of that McCain and the RNC are the biggest sexist for picking Palin purely on her sex and not her background, experience or credentials. And they will never, ever be called on it. Because that would be sexist.

The Republican party's bizarre double-standard with female politicians has disgusted me for a long time. It is amazing how they rally around conservative female politicians despite their problems, but will absolutely crucify and character-assassinate Democratic female politicians.

To large extent, though, I suppose that is the result of simply having a more effective attack-machine, so I guess my main complaint should be with wussy democrats.

Door2Dawn

Banned
I can see Jindal running as well.

But if Barack gets elected,and seen as doing a good job,I don't see jindal winning that election.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
lawblob said:
The Republican party's bizarre double-standard with female politicians has disgusted me for a long time. It is amazing how they rally around conservative female politicians despite their problems, but will absolutely crucify and character-assassinate Democratic female politicians.

To large extent, though, I suppose that is the result of simply having a more effective attack-machine, so I guess my main complaint should be with wussy democrats.

So much time spent analysing Republican and Democrat differences.

Well... I've reduced it into a simple axiomatic truth; Republicans in general have less trouble with cognitive dissonance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Door2Dawn said:
I can see Jindal running as well.

But if Barack gets elected,and seen as doing a good job,I don't see jindal winning that election.

I don't see Jindal bothering in '12 if Obama wins, unless Obama struggles as President. He's young, might as well wait for '16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom