• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
saelz8 said:
dfzi4o.jpg

Story starting to gain traction.
Sarah Palin Addresses the Alaskan Independence Party - 2008 Convention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4iCDBIAde8

Kildace

Agent Icebeezy said:
It was all good just a week ago....

Underage drinking? Family values, fuck yeah!

Edit : Didn't Palin say that she fired her police comissioner because he didn't do enough on the war against alcohol?

Edit2 : Removed the pregnant, misinterpreted Icebeezy's post.

Cheebs said:
CNN briefly mentioned it but never really said much else. It seems worthy to be a big story to me but barely is gaining traction despite ABC and the NYTimes reporting she was a member of this anti-american (wanting to leave the union is the definition of anti-american pretty much) political party.
Sarah Palin HATEZ AMURRICA

GET HER

At this point, I'm just waiting for the revelations that Palin underwent electro-shock therapy to close the chapter on this sad story.

Kildace

Meanwhile, the Obama campaign is playing it smart during the train wreck :

Ben Smith said:
Raising abortion?

A Virginia reader reports that Obama's on the radio there with an ad hitting McCain on abortion rights.

That would be the first paid media on an issue Democrats have used in the past as a trump card but that Obama has generally placed behind economic issues in his outreach to women.

UPDATE: Another reader hears the same spot on a country station in Milwaukee, WI. The campaign hasn't responded to questions about it, but if you've got audio, send it over.

ALSO: Colorado.

I think they could be her a few pounds ago. Then again, all teenagers look alike to me.

According to the internets they were taken from Bristol's Photobucket. Maybe she took the pics.

The drinking thing isn't a big deal outside of the delicious partisan witch hunt in which there are never innocents, but if she has dropped out of high school we can safely answer the vetting question once and for all.

Fragamemnon said:
The drinking thing isn't a big deal outside of the delicious partisan witch hunt in which there are never innocents, but if she has dropped out of high school we can safely answer the vetting question once and for all.

I don't know, I remember Palin being described as a "home schooler" on Friday, so this all may already be in the open, just not discussed.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sooo what would happen if she withdrew? Even worse? The same? More calamity?

If she withdrew, I can't see much changing. In the end the shit is going to stick with McCain due to the judgement/vetting issue no matter what.

I want to see Pawlenty and Mittens arm wrestle for the VP pick instead of a keynote address on RNC day 3. Americans would tune in for that.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know, I remember Palin being described as a "home schooler" on Friday, so this all may already be in the open, just not discussed.

How the fuck do you homeschool children while being the governor of an entire state and your husband is still working his job.

Fragamemnon said:

In reality none of it (The family stuff I mean)is a big deal. My sister got pregnant at 18 and wasn't married. I'm sure most of us drank in high school. It's once again the discrepancy between reality and the moralists in that party who try to constantly preach the holier than thou card. None of the family stuff makes me dislike Palin and I think it does go towards humanizing her to be honest. Which is why the media focus should be on the actual stories related to her political career.

The View

Elisabeth "She has more experience than Barack Obama"

And then she shrieks through something about her looking people in the eyes and saying she is not gonna take this corruption here in Alaska.

'Left-wing liberal blogger people' are looking down on her for having the child?

Holy Crap!! I've been away doing a road trip to the Syracuse state fair all weekend and missed all the Palin revelations/vetting, since Thursday when she was announced.

Holy Crap!! I can't believe all this bad ridiculous stuff about her.

Worst VP Choice Ever!!

:lol :lol :lol

140.85 said:
She refers to them as competition...

She left them 12 years ago people. Where's the smoking gun of Palin explicitly agreeing with AIP's positions?

Where is smoking gun that Obama agreed with Rev Wright on everything he said?

Stoney Mason said:
In reality none of it (The family stuff I mean)is a big deal. My sister got pregnant at 18 and wasn't married. I'm sure most of us drank in high school. It's once again the discrepancy between reality and the moralists in that party who try to constantly preach the holier than thou card. None of the family stuff makes me dislike Palin and I think it does go towards humanizing her to be honest. Which is why the media focus should be on the actual stories related to her political career.

Yeah, the moralizing judgementating about personal family stuff whether it be on Palin or her daughter is doing on one's arguments any favors.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
soul creator said:
as has been said many times before, I don't think Sarah Palin knows much about pulling out/withdrawing...

This thread has gone to Republican smear-level shit.

Or Ayers, or Rezko..............

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
ViperVisor said:
The View

And then she shrieks through something about her looking people in the eyes and saying she is not gonna take this corruption here in Alaska.

Really? Hasselbeck is as dumb as a rock.

140.85 said:
She left them 12 years ago people. Where's the smoking gun of Palin explicitly agreeing with AIP's positions?

The fact that she EVER belonged to a party that wanted Alaska to secede from the US is bad enough. People try to link Obama to "terrorists" because he stayed over at someone's house during college. This is a lot more valid than that.

Stoney Mason said:

It's not so much about Palin than it is McCain, as the fact that his VP pick has a pregnant dropout of a daughter just MIGHT be a reasonable disqualification if he had done any vetting outside of having some lawyers going over her tax returns, statement questionaries, and hitting up The Google.

sangreal

140.85 said:
She refers to them as competition...

She still pushes Alaska First
Palin replied: "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we're trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question."

Fragamemnon said:
It's not so much about Palin than it is McCain, as the fact that his VP pick has a pregnant dropout of a daughter just MIGHT be a reasonable disqualification if he had done any vetting outside of having some lawyers going over her tax returns, statement questionaries, and hitting up The Google.

Oh there is no doubt she is a lousy choice for vice president but there is enough in the actual political record to pin that charge without the baby stuff. I preferred when that stuff was in the other thread yesterday.

I really don't think the AIP stuff is as much as people are making it out to be, though it provides an entertaining distraction that further tosses chaff into the GOP message machine. Alaskans are notorious for their two faced "keep the guvment out of my life, but keep the pork a flowing" attitudes.

Stoney Mason said:
Putting a woman with such a family life in such a huge spotlight is a new thing though. Especially one that makes such a big stink about her being a mother. And hey, hate to say it, but isn't losing control of your life and responsibilities one of the pro-choice arguments?

Cloudy

Banned
ViperVisor said:
The View

I've never been so turned off by such a fine-looking woman

Cheebs

"I think I can say with authority that the prisoner of war experience is not a good prerequisite for President."

-- Philip Butler, who served as a prisoner of war in Vietnam with John McCain.

Son of Godzilla said:
Putting a woman with such a family life in such a huge spotlight is a new thing though. Especially one that makes such a big stink about her being a mother. And hey, hate to say it, but isn't losing control of your life and responsibilities one of the pro-choice arguments?

There is no doubt that there is tons of moral hypocrisy on the part of the GOP on a regular basis. I just think fixating on a baby and a teen that drinks alcohol is to sort of fall into the same hypocrisy as the republicans do. I mean there is definitely a point to be made here but I think it has more to do with the fact that regular people have regular struggles and their morals and christians values (and patriotism) shouldn't be assaulted by Republicans or Democrats.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Son of Godzilla said:

Politicians family lives is something you have to be careful about, unless you have a high profile member who is in the public spotlight (like Joe Biden's son). Isn't it Cheney who has a gay daughter? I don't see why folks have to reach in that direction.

And I'll venture to say a lot of the folks here pushing those angles don't have kids. When you are a parent you realize that, as much as you can influence your kids, you never control them. Criticizing someone else's kids WILL come back to haunt you when you have your own. It never fails. Obama has two daughters, and thankfully for him they are still young, but even he's smart enough to realize that you don't go after people's kids.

HylianTom

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Sooo what would happen if she withdrew? Even worse? The same? More calamity?

If such a thing were to happen (and it won't), the GOP's fundie base would go absolutely apeshit. They're in love with this woman, and McCain would suffer their wrath if she were to leave.

So McCain's up a creek. Keep her, ditch her.. he's in a nasty spot. Serves 'im well.

Stoney Mason said:
Oh there is no doubt she is a lousy choice for vice president but there is enough in the actual political record to pin that charge without the baby stuff. I preferred when that stuff was in the other thread yesterday.

That's definitely the high road. Personally I'd like to see a return to discussions of policy and issues, but if the media wants to go all national enquirer on Palin until the convention ends, I'm not going to complain. Though I hope Obama starts calling them out in a couple of days using the same "make big elections about small things" so we can re-frame the Palin decision on McCain's judgement, where the real focus belongs.

Please, if Obama even coughed near AIP, the Republican trolls would be all over him saying how UnAmerican he is. Hypocrisy at it's best. The media should be hard on Palin and maybe she will have a slight idea of all the gauntlet of stupidity Obama had to put up with it.

JayDubya

Banned
Eh fuck it. Call it devil's advocacy, but I don't really see any devilry at work, just a dogpile, and I'm always a fan of picking at the logic of the lynchmob.

Stoney Mason said:

Considering the AIP is a conservative third party that almost mirrors the Republican party and considering that it's primary platform goal that its membership can all agree on is a desire for a simple revote due to skepticism that the vote to become a state was handled properly... yawn.

Alaska's governor in 1990 was elected as a member of the AIP, then later switched to the Republican party.

I'm not entirely sure what's so sinister about this. For a simple analog, look to the Scottish National Party, although they're certainly more left-wing, the notions are similar, and members' beliefs range from more local authority to total independence. Puerto Rico regularly votes to not become a state, so clearly there are people out there that don't fancy the notion of becoming one. How is it surprising that in one of the most recently formed states in the union, made well after our 1800s secession hub-bub, there are some folks that agree with those voters in Puerto Rico?

Of course, I'm a total stranger to Alaskan politics, but hey.

BotoxAgent said:
Please, if Obama even coughed near AIP, the Republican trolls would be all over him saying how UnAmerican he is. Hypocrisy at it's best. The media should be hard on Palin and maybe she will have a slight idea of all the gauntlet of stupidity Obama had to put up with it.

I think the AIP thing is a legit story. I think nearly all of it is legit except for a couple things and the media should go through the same process they go through with every candidate so I roughly agree.

Intrade has started offering a futures contract on Sarah withdrawing before the election. It's currently trading at 12 (these trade between 0 and 100).

If Barack bumped into a guy who was in the 'Black Liberation' movement while he was at an Earth, Wind & Fire concert the talking point makes it to cable news.

JayDubya said:
Eh fuck it. Call it devil's advocacy, but I don't really see any devilry at work, just a dogpile, and I'm always a fan of picking at the logic of the lynchmob.

Considering the AIP is a conservative third party that almost mirrors the Republican party and considering that it's primary goal is a simple revote due to skepticism that the vote to become a state was handled properly, yawn.

Alaska's governor in 1990 was elected as a member of the AIP, then later switched to the Republican party.

I'm not entirely sure what's so sinister about this. For a simple analog, look to the Scottish National Party, although they're certainly more left-wing, the notions are similar, and member's beliefs range from more local authority to total independence. Puerto Rico regularly votes to not become a state, so clearly there are people out there that don't fancy the notion of becoming a state, so why is it surprising that in one of the most recently formed states in the union, made well after our 1800s secession hub-bub, there are some folks that agree with those voters in Puerto Rico?

Of course, I'm a total stranger to Alaskan politics, but hey.

And that's perfectly fine but I want to hear HER answers. Why did she join a "fringe party" that advocates such things and that has stated some of the positions they have? That's the whole point. She needs to answer questions and address things. People can't just whine that the media is being unfair for asking questions. That's the job. That's the point. She is running for vice-president of the United States. Some tough questions aren't over the line whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom