• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/m...The Final Days&st=cse&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Anxious denizens of Bushworld worry that McCain will beat himself and in the process take down their best chance for deliverance when it comes to the verdict of history. One former Bush aide who spends his days publicly bashing Barack Obama sat down for lunch with me recently and before the appetizers even arrived lamented that the Democrat will probably crush McCain. He ruefully called Obama one of the three most talented political figures of his lifetime, along with John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan. Bush’s political guru, Karl Rove, in conversations with friends this summer, could hardly restrain his exasperation at what he saw as the McCain team’s dysfunctional organization and sclerotic message. And the president himself, according to friends and prominent Republicans, privately rails about what he considers McCain’s undisciplined approach to the campaign and grouses about McCain’s efforts to distance himself from the administration. A new McCain ad this month declared, “We’re worse off than we were four years ago.” That’s the sort of stinging indictment a candidate usually issues when the other party is in the White House.

So when Palin says Bristol "decided to have the baby", does that mean that she feels that pregnant teens, and not their parents, should be the ones to make that choice? :D

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Suddenly Google is an inept tool apparently.

Actually, if you go to the site of Palin's hometown paper you can read over 900 full articles that have mentioned Palin over the past decade.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
So when Palin says Bristol "decided to have the baby", does that mean that she feels that pregnant teens, and not their parents, should be the ones to make that choice? :D

They did the statement to try and trick people.

lexdysia

Banned
Looks like the RNC is using Tucker Bounds' wisdom to crap out their campaign theme:

"John McCain: The Man He Is"

Sounds like what Bounds said to Campbell Brown last night:

"Sarah Palin has done what she has done"

Barrett2

Last night NBC news interviewed a RNC hack, who with a straight face tried to argue the pregnancy news was 'beneficial' to the campaign because it reinforces Palin's status as a genuine, normal person! :lol

Its times like these that your political consultants & spokespeople really have to work for their money!

I can't wait to find out what today brings for this unraveling debacle..

140.85 said:

Actually, if you go to the site of Palin's hometown paper you can read over 900 full articles that have mentioned Palin over the past decade.

Can you google someone's personal medical records, finances, and whether or not their teenage daughter is knocked up?

If you can, then Google is getting a bit too powerful.

I love how there are people who think just because Palin has 5 kids, it makes her a "genuine" woman, and voters like that. Jesus Christ. If that's the sole reason to vote for a candidate, then this country is going down the toilet faster than a pound of steak shooting through my colon.

140.85 said:

Assuming they read them, which, considering the previous assumption, she was supposed to have been properly vetted the non-Google way.

stressboy

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I love how there are people who think just because Palin has 5 kids, it makes her a "genuine" woman, and voters like that. Jesus Christ. If that's the sole reason to vote for a candidate, then this country is going down the toilet faster than a pound of steak shooting through my colon.

Well people voted for Bush because they felt that he was someone they could sit back and have a beer with.

And look where that got us.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
lexdysia said:
Looks like the RNC is using Tucker Bounds' wisdom to crap out their campaign theme:

"John McCain: The Man He Is"

That's demeaning to women!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
140.85 said:

i would hope that vetting the potential VPOTUS would require something more thorough than Google.

worldrunover said:
No. It's already been proven she is pro-contraception, so this pregnancy is not a result of that.
People keep stating this, but there is a big difference between abstract approval of something and it being practiced in your own home. Sure, for all we know there were brimming bowls of condoms in the Palin household but, what with her daughter being teen-pregnant and all, it seems more likely that's just a moderate political talking point and not how she actually feels.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wait, this woman is a seccessionist?

Is this the first secessionist on a national ticket since the civil war or what?

I mean, I thought all the seccesionists left were holed up in compounds with guns and confederate flags.

Also: google is a good tool when hiring a receptionist. Not so good for VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES ONE HEARTBEAT AWAY FROM LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD.

This has official gone from "Who? to "Lulz" to "WTF?!?"

Imm0rt4l

Slurpy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EljL927IMSA&feature=related

I think I lost half my braincells from watching that. THAT is a presidential candidate? I'm sorry, but in terms of any genuine attempt to answer questions, that was pitiful.
With all due respect to what he's done in the past, how can an objective, rational individual compare how Obama/McCain speak and still support McCain as President? It has nothing to do with speaking skills.. it has everything to do with McCain not making any fucking sense on anything, beyond a random collage of nonsensical rhetoric and talking points. These 2 nominees are on a completely different level of mental awareness and critical thinking. And is it just me, or has he adopted EVERY SINGLE ONE of Obama's themes? (Change, hope, judgement, business as usual, kitchen tables, etc)
shit's disgusting that he's hijacked Obamas themes, so shameless.

'Don't forget, she was also a member of the PTA...?
-John McCain

syllogism

Uh oh

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 48% of the vote while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 51%, McCain 45%

I like how Rasmussen never puts the results on the front page unless it's tied or Mccain is leading

NESRadSwingGAF.gif

It's ok Palin. Just let go.

:D

StoOgE said:
Wait, this woman is a seccessionist?

Is this the first secessionist on a national ticket since the civil war or what?

I mean, I thought all the seccesionists left were holed up in compounds with guns and confederate flags.

Also: google is a good tool when hiring a receptionist. Not so good for VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES ONE HEARTBEAT AWAY FROM LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD.

This has official gone from "Who? to "Lulz" to "WTF?!?"

Tow that "heartbeat away" talking point, baby!

Has any right-winger started throwing out that "Is Joe Biden the person we want a bullet away from the Presidency?" yet?

syllogism said:
Uh oh

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 48% of the vote while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 51%, McCain 45%

Eh. I'll wait until the GOP convention is over. If nothing changes, then yeah. Uh oh for McCain.

The Kilkenny letter is pretty damning.

I applaud the woman for going out on a limb as she has since it will surely mean repercussions from Palin.

http://www.andrys.com/palin-kilkenny.html

For great justice, so that her personal sacrifice is not wasted, GAF, you MUST read this letter.

WHY AM I WRITING THIS?

First, I have long believed in the importance of being an informed
voter. I am a voter registrar. For 10 years I put on student voting
programs in the schools. If you google my name (Anne Kilkenny +
Alaska), you will find references to my participation in local
government, education, and PTA/parent organizations.

Secondly, I've always operated in the belief that "Bad things happen
when good people stay silent". Few people know as much as I do because
few have gone to as many City Council meetings.

Third, I am just a housewife. I don't have a job she can bump me out
of. I don't belong to any organization that she can hurt. But, I am no
fool; she is immensely popular here, and it is likely that this will
cost me somehow in the future: that’s life.

Fourth, she has hated me since back in 1996, when I was one of the 100
or so people who rallied to support the City Librarian against Sarah's
attempt at censorship.

Fifth, I looked around and realized that everybody else was afraid to
say anything because they were somehow vulnerable.

syllogism said:
Uh oh

uh oh for whom?

scorcho

for betting people, Palin's likelihood of staying on the ticket till November is up on intrade.

i think she'll stick it out though, since the stupidity of our political culture makes admitting a mistake more harmful than committing a mistake.

King_Slender said:
Has any right-winger started throwing out that "Is Joe Biden the person we want a bullet away from the Presidency?" yet?
:lol
no, because there isn't much to be had through that argument.

i think she'll stick it out though, since the stupidity of our political culture makes admitting a mistake more harmful than committing a mistake.

You think? I'm not so sure about that. I mean, if you admit things early, you get it out there and out of the way.

Obama's whole drug habits when he was younger was admitted, and it's not really a problem now.

scorcho said:
for betting people, Palin's likelihood of staying on the ticket till November is up on intrade.

:lol
no, because there isn't much to be had through that argument.

YOU ARE DESPERATE!

greepoman

I have a question, what if something happens to either Obama or McCain before the election? What's the process for selecting another candidate? Is there any precedent?

scorcho

BrandNew said:
You think? I'm not so sure about that. I mean, if you admit things early, you get it out there and out of the way.

Obama's whole drug habits when he was younger was admitted, and it's not really a problem now.
i guess i should qualify that as 'political/policy mistakes'. an affair? yeah, admit it and move on. but an idiotic vote or war? no, just move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom