• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
VanMardigan said:
What's going on here? And please tell me it's something other than Palin's pregnant daughter.

How about this?

http://www.andrys.com/palin-kilkenny.html

Sarah campaigned in Wasilla as a “fiscal conservative”. During her 6
years as Mayor, she increased general government expenditures by over
33%. During those same 6 years the amount of taxes collected by the
City increased by 38%. This was during a period of low inflation
(1996-2002). She reduced progressive property taxes and increased a
regressive sales tax which taxed even food. The tax cuts that she
promoted benefited large corporate property owners way more than they
benefited residents.

Indeed, fiscal conservative in the same vein as Bush.

While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected
City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from
the library some books that Sarah wanted removed. City residents
rallied to the defense of the City Librarian and against Palin's
attempt at out-and-out censorship, so Palin backed down and withdrew
her termination letter.

Well, hey now, she knows how to abuse executive privilege, just like Bush. Now I'm starting to see why McCain chose her.

Under investigation
for abuse of power, she has had to admit that more than 2 dozen
contacts were made between her staff and family to the person that she
later fired, pressuring him to fire her ex-brother-in-law. She tried to
replace the man she fired with a man who she knew had been reprimanded
for sexual harassment; when this caused a public furor, she withdrew
her support.

Kind of reminds me of the whole recent Attorney-gate scandal. She seems like she'd fit right in with the current administration.

And you know, in case you felt that, even beyond all that, she was more experienced than Obama (which by proxy, means you think she has more experience than McCain as well :lol), there's this little gem:

There has to be literally millions of Americans who are more
knowledgeable and experienced than she.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
http://www.andrys.com/palin-kilkenny.html
While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected
City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from
the library some books that Sarah wanted removed. City residents
rallied to the defense of the City Librarian and against Palin's
attempt at out-and-out censorship, so Palin backed down and withdrew
her termination letter. People who fought her attempt to oust the
Librarian are on her enemies list to this day.
That's fairly reprehensible stuff.

VanMardigan said:
What's going on here? And please tell me it's something other than Palin's pregnant daughter.

3 main issues the hard lefties are running with:

1) The pregnant daughter non-disclosure
2) Palin was once a member of an "Alaska First" group that occasionally voted on secession
3) People claiming Palin was only vetted through Google

I'm not sure McCain will win, but if he does, I can't wait to see the explosion that happens on GAF and Digg.:lol

VanMardigan said:
Seems to be polls and secessionist right now.

There was a few mentions of her daughter the page above, but that was yesterdays flavor. NubilePreggoGate.

Barrett2

Cheebs said:
HUGE boost in todays rasmussen for Obama.

Palin backlash in effect folks.

It wouldn't surprise me. Yesterday I had an argument with a few of my most fervent Republican friends. Hearing them parrot the talking points about Palin was the saddest, most disingenuous & pathetic thing I have heard in a long time. Even though the Evangelical base might be satisfied with this pick, there are countless independents who see right through this sham.

Cheebs

King_Slender said:
3 main issues the hard lefties are running with:

1) The pregnant daughter non-disclosure
2) Palin was once a member of an "Alaska First" group that occasionally voted on secession
3) People claiming Palin was only vetted through Google

I'm not sure McCain will win, but if he does, I can't wait to see the explosion that happens on GAF and Digg.:lol
It will be worse than the backlash after 2000. While the recount issue likely won't happen but the dem base is far more in love with Obama than they were with Gore. There will be absolute chaos.

greepoman said:
I have a question, what if something happens to either Obama or McCain before the election? What's the process for selecting another candidate? Is there any precedent?

McCain is in a bind now. As someone stated earlier, staying with Palin could cost him the election. Dropping her would definitely cost him the election. The reasoning behind the former is that the scandals/issues/her hard right stances now in the forefront about Palin could turn of independents and disaffected democrats. The latter would so infuriate the base that they would just stay home come November which would no doubt guarantee an Obama victory.

Cheebs said:

Actually, he's now up to 6 points, which is what Gallup has been reporting for Days. Afterall, Kerry was up 10% post-convention on Bush, so it's all but over for McCain, AMIRITE?

Cheebs

King_Slender said:
Actually, he's now up to 6 points, which is what Gallup has been reporting for Days. Afterall, Kerry was up 10% post-convention on Bush, so it's all but over for McCain, AMIRITE?
The most Kerry was ever up in the rassmussen poll was 3 points iirc. And the Gallup Daily tracker in 2004 had Kerry go down 2 points after his convention.

King_Slender said:

King_Slender
if Palin starts crying,
notify bish immediately
(Today, 01:46 PM)
Reply | Quote

Cheebs said:
The most Kerry was ever up in the rassmussen poll was 3 points iirc. And the Gallup Daily tracker in 2004 had Kerry go down 2 points after his convention.
And you'd be right.

The largest either was over the other was by 3 points.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Scarborough had a good point-- the poor McCain campaign people have to sit and listen to bush pimp offshore oil drilling while hurricanes attack Louisiana.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thunder Monkey said:
Seems to be polls and secessionist right now.

There was a few mentions of her daughter the page above, but that was yesterdays flavor. NubilePreggoGate.

hmm, if the polls give Obama a continued boost despite Palin, that's great for him and considering that there likely won't be a significant RNC boost for McCain, we may be seeing the beginnings of a tidal wave that culminates in a November landslide. Or not.

The secessionist stuff demonstrates her rawness (sort of like the Ayers/Obama thing). No way either of those candidates would put themselves in those situations if they were contemplating the national stage.

While I initially had a feeling this pick would help McCain, I'm definitely not sure now. Though, it's still too early to tell, imo. It's certainly a game-changer, one way or the other.

charliedigital said:
How about this?

I'm thinking I need more of a source than that. There's a lot of personal politics in small towns, and stuff gets distorted.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:

From three to six in one day.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...ial_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 48% of the vote while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 51%, McCain 45%. This is the highest level of support enjoyed by Obama at any point in Election 2008.
snap

It's noteworthy that for the first time in ages, the "leaners" move Obama further ahead.

Cheebs

Thunder Monkey said:
And you'd be right.

The largest either was over the other was by 3 points.
So there you go. Obama today has doubled Kerry's biggest lead, and this was AFTER the palin announcement 4 days removed from the dem convention

That isn't good news for republicans.

And it won't get better tonight even though the convention is back on track. The lineup is Bush, Fred Thompson, and Joe Lieberman. Has there ever been a worse primetime lineup in convention history?

Literally, how many undecideds will be listening in awe to FRED THOMPSON? :lol

Cheebs said:
So there you go. Obama today has doubled Kerry's biggest lead, and this was AFTER the palin announcement 4 days removed from the dem convention

And it won't get better tonight even though the convention is back on track. The lineup is Bush, Fred Thompson, and Joe Lieberman. Has there ever been a worse primetime lineup in convention history?

Will his wife be there?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cheebs said:

"You can hear him falling asleep right on stage!"

Cheebs

ViperVisor said:
Will his wife be there?
I dunno. All I know is Bush speaks at 9:30 (just out of primetime network coverage lololol), Fred Thompson at 10, and Jooooe at 10:30.

Weakest lineup ever.

Cheebs

ViperVisor said:
Will his wife be there?
I dunno. All I know is Bush speaks at 9:30 (just out of primetime network coverage lololol), Fred Thompson at 10, and Jooooe at 10:30.

Weakest lineup ever.

edit: wtf double post

Cheebs

ViperVisor said:
Will his wife be there?

Weakest lineup ever.

edit: TRIPLE POST

Y2Kev said:
Scarborough had a good point-- the poor McCain campaign people have to sit and listen to bush pimp offshore oil drilling while hurricanes attack Louisiana.

And while oil is dropping to near $100-a-barrel prices-off nearly 35% from its summer high- due in large part to a rising dollar and falling speculation traffic.

Cheebs

Thunder Monkey said:
We heard you the first time Cheebs damn! :lol
I hit the button only once I swear! :lol

Stoney Mason said:
Why was Rudy dropped as a key note speaker tonight?
From what I hear he is moved till tomorrow. Thompson is now the keynote speaker.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fragamemnon said:
And while oil is dropping to near $100-a-barrel prices-off nearly 35% from its summer high- due in large part to a rising dollar and falling speculation traffic.
I'm sure Americans want it to go down even further and I'm sure many of them believe that drilling now could help, but the McCainers can't appreciate Bush a) pimping their policy and b) politicizing their "McCain's American hat" opportunity.

saelz8

dfzi4o.jpg

Story starting to gain traction.

VanMardigan said:
I'm thinking I need more of a source than that. There's a lot of personal politics in small towns, and stuff gets distorted.

Trust me, it's only a matter of time until the MSM picks up on it and verifies these statements. They've only had a few days to haul ass up to AK. In the next week, we'll see more coverage straight out of AK which will probably verify most of this information.

There are hordes of investigative reporters who are going to dig up the most foul shit that they can find and it will stink like all hell.

It'll be delicious.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 48% of the vote while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 51%, McCain 45%. This is the highest level of support enjoyed by Obama at any point in Election 2008.

I'm telling you guys since Friday, they will throw Palin under the bus if they feel they have no choice. She'll step down and the McCain camp will blame it on the godless sexist liberal media being unfair and trying to destroy her family.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
What's interesting is that the tales of strong-arm tactics in Wasilla is consistent with the whole Trooper firing investigation, and her AIP background is consistent with her statement of making the VP office "productive for Alaska"(or whatever) when it's a job serving the interests of the ENTIRE UNION.

Cheebs

saelz8 said:
dfzi4o.jpg

CNN briefly mentioned it but never really said much else. It seems worthy to be a big story to me but barely is gaining traction despite ABC and the NYTimes reporting she was a member of this anti-american (wanting to leave the union is the definition of anti-american pretty much) political party.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Cheebs said:
CNN briefly mentioned it but never really said much else. It seems worthy to be a big story to me but barely is gaining traction despite ABC and the NYTimes reporting she was a member of this anti-american (wanting to leave the union is the definition of anti-american pretty much) political party.
It's not a story that Britney Spears would produce.

saelz8

Cheebs said:
Funny enough, it looks like they pulled the story! I don't see it, anywhere on ABC's site.

Can anyone else find it?

Cheebs

Hitokage said:
What's interesting is that the tales of strong-arm tactics in Wasilla is consistent with the whole Trooper firing investigation, and her AIP background is consistent with her statement of making the VP office "productive for Alaska"(or whatever) when it's a job serving the interests of the ENTIRE UNION.
That statement of hers is far more creepy in the context of the president of the AIP claiming a year ago that a major goal of the party is for members to join the mainstream parties to be able to secretly advance the cause of Alaska in higher office.

Also very briefly in 1990 the AIP party held the governorship in Alaska due to a mess of the major parties having too many candidates on the ballot. That governer endorsed Palin in 2006.

Zabka

saelz8 said:
Now we're getting to the good stuff. I think the "fiscal conservative" facade will be torn down next week after they verify the city/state books.

She really only has 2 big moments in the national spotlight. One is tomorrow at the convention, and the other is at the VP debate a month from now. Republicans will only be able to control the message at the former, so her public image is going to be shaped almost entirely by the media after this week. Hopefully the talking heads will wear out the "That's sexist!" defense by the debate, so Biden can thoroughly embarass her (indirectly).

Cheebs said:

This is way more legit than the "baby" story but the media (mostly cable news) is all about sensationalism.

If McCain gets elected, he won't last long. Palin will take over and the US will have one less star on the flag. "Republic of Alaska" in two years tops.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
King_Slender said:
OK, maybe they go with a "What if Biden dies and leaves an Obama in charge alone?" tack?
Obama won the Democratic primary and has been vetted by national press and public for the better part of 18 months. trying to equate him to Palin is a bit disingenuous.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The scrutiny on the national level is something fierce.

NOBODY that posts on GAF would ever pass vetting for VP, if for nothing other than their posts on this forum. :lol

Obama won the Democratic primary and has been vetted by national press and public for the better part of 18 months. trying to equate him to Palin is a bit disingenuous.

And he's got the bumps to prove it: Ayers/Resko/Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom