• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDubya

Banned
worldrunover said:
So you would condone private entities banning/burning books? I can't begin to explain the first amendment rights you're crapping on, which I'm sure you're aware of.

Banning them from what?

For that matter, burning whose books?

What you're saying doesn't even make sense.

I'm not quite sure you got the point of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 here.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Hitokage said:
You know, I really don't want this election to be about her daughter boozing it up when there's vastly more pertinent issues to consider. :p
Right, right. I was just catching up with the thread when I saw those pics and became totally wtf'd.

I have a question for everybody:

Would John McCain have picked a man (ex: Sam Palin) who had the same credentials as Sarah Palin as the VP?

This question was asked this morning on CSPAN at a RNC convention panel and ALL of the panelists said no.
NOTE: Everybody on that panel was right-wing.

qwertybob

polyh3dron said:
Yep, the Repubs went SO hard on the John Kerry Flip Flop crap back in 04 like it made Kerry the worst person in the world, and now they're defending McCain's myriad flip flops.

I always liked Kerry and he has been kicking all kinds of ass when i have seen him campaigning for Obama

further proof of his greatness - http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/08/29/my-un-conventional-ride

On to the ride. Immediately he bumped shoulders with me on the first corner and thought nothing of it. Then he took the first 22 mph pull with me, side by side, for a good 10 minutes. I was somewhat impressed, for sure, but of course we still had some hills to go up. so I withheld judgement.

Chugging along at a fair clip, about halfway up to Jamestown, he had dropped half the group and started asking me for ideas on how to improve some of the anti-doping legislation he has been working to introduce into the Senate. Of course I was so excited he had interest in this area, I spoke until I was blue in the face. And he just about dropped me. Conversation at 280 watts at 6500 ft is not the easiest thing for me, much less a 65 year old guy with a job like his.

JV and Senator John KerryThis guy was a real rider, with real knowledge of racing. The riders, the history, the races, tactics, and the problems of the sport. And he was fit as a champ. He kept chattering along and asking me a multitude of well-thought out and knowledgeable questions about cycling as we passed 7000 ft. He deftly rode out of the saddle and had quite a nice pedalling style on the steeper grades. Truly impressive.

senator-kerry-180.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
theviolenthero said:

Would John McCain have picked a man (ex: Sam Palin) who had the same credentials as Sarah Palin as the VP?

This question was asked this morning on CSPAN at a RNC convention panel and ALL of the panelists said no.
Man....they'd even lose the "that's sexist!" angle on all this if this were a man.

theviolenthero said:

I had something similar earlier.
Mika was skeptical of it as well. Guess where Scarbs took it ASAP. 'Barack is only here cause he is black'

Agent Icebeezy said:

Yes, because her underaged daughter drinking would seriously be a deciding factor on whether I like Palin or not. Jesus Christ, people. This is grasping at straws and what the GOP does best when it comes to attacking another candidate.

JayDubya

Banned
ViperVisor said:
Mika was skeptical of it as well. Guess where Scarbs took it ASAP. 'Barack is only here cause he is black'

Like I said in my initial post on the topic, Barack's been quite the beneficiary of identify politics...

ViperVisor said:
Yep, and Kennedy was only able to run for President because he was an Irish Catholic.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Yes, because her underaged daughter drinking would seriously be a deciding factor on whether I like Palin or not. Jesus Christ, people. This is grasping at straws and what the GOP does best when it comes to attacking another candidate.
Yep, and that's why I love it. Taste of their own medicine and all that.

VanMardigan said:
Or Ayers, or Rezko..............

Yea, I remember that video on youtube of Obama addressing the new weather underground last year...

Rezko is just ridiculous and not even worth mention..

JayDubya said:
Like I said in my initial post on the topic, Barack's been quite the beneficiary of identify politics...

At least his came by the democratic vote however. When you make an affirmative action appointment it seems slightly different.

This really isn't an issue to me. Just noting the Republican inconsistency on the issue.

Gaborn

pxleyes said:
I know that's supposed to be a slight against all of us, but you have to remember this a forum and not the real political arena.

Not a slight, people can discuss pretty much whatever they want, I'm just not sure that it reflects well on them.

theviolenthero said:

No, because Pawlenty was out there and wasn't picked.

pxleyes

Banned
Gaborn said:
Not a slight, people can discuss pretty much whatever they want, I'm just not sure that it reflects well on them.
Well unless you are being swayed by those views, then I guess you don't have anything to worry about.

If anything Obama had to overcome his race to win the nomination. It's not like Iowa and Wisconson-two of the most important wins of his primary campaign-have sizable African American populations.

gcubed

scorcho said:
as many people have pointed out in this thread, 'babygate' matters because it shines a light on the clusterfuck of Republican policy regarding sex education and contraceptives.
i understand the basis for it, but there is only so much to be said about it. She's done other whacked out shit too that, to me, has more of an effect on her polictical "thermometer" then a pregnant teenager. So she's a hypocrite, we got that out of the way, now what about her wanting to ban books? Or more info on improper use of power, or how she left a town of 3900 people 21 MILLION in debt... we all know that evangelicals will spin the teenager shit so they can convince themselves she's still good, so its useless to attack at that part. Independents/undecideds need to see the rest

Gaborn

Fragamemnon said:
If anything Obama had to overcome his race to win the nomination. It's not like Iowa and Wisconson-two of the most important wins of his primary campaign-have sizable African American populations.

Obviously people didn't vote against him because of his race, that's all you can really say about that. The implication he'd do better in a more black state because of his race is insulting

JayDubya

Banned
Fragamemnon said:

The nomination process was full of gender and racial identity politics; I'm more referring to last Thursday, where Sen. Obama was positively reveling in identity politics.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
scorcho said:
as many people have pointed out in this thread, 'babygate' matters because it shines a light on the clusterfuck of Republican policy regarding sex education and contraceptives.

Nonsense. If people want to debate the merits of birth control/sex ed. vs. abstinence, etc., then bring out the data. Compare studies of programs. Trying to leverage Anecdotal evidence where the details aren't even known is ridiculous.

gcubed

Gaborn said:
Obviously people didn't vote against him because of his race, that's all you can really say about that. The implication he'd do better in a more black state because of his race is insulting

which people? I can assure you 100% that some voted against him because of his race. Believe me... i know a few

not saying that it matters, i am sure Hillary had just as many voting against her because she was a woman

laserbeam

Banned
Gaborn said:

Not insulting at all. The "experts" on gaf laugh at the very notion that Obama would only get 80% of the black vote.

You can try and dodge the issue but the fact is to many the unspoken assumption is Obama is geting the black vote because he is black. His acceptance speech was delibertly done on the day it was to drive home the racial identity fact while trying to say racial politics is not being done at all.

He will have lost votes due to his race but his race will also gain him votes.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Gaborn said:
Are you black gaborn?

Barrett2

Gaborn said:

Why is that insulting? Its obvious Obama will do well amongst black voters, He will get over 90% of the black vote, just like Romney would get over 90% of the Mormon vote, a Scientologist would get over 90% of Scientologist voters, etc. Minority groups of all kinds would naturally gravitate towards someone they identify with. Identity politics is not necessarily a 'bad thing' in a normative sense, it's just a political reality.

As for Obama not losing votes because of his race, that's debatable. He certainly lost a number of votes because of race, he certainly picked up some votes because of his race. I am guessing it was a net loss for him, but who knows.

Xisiqomelir

adamsappel said:
Unfortunately, the state senator in charge of the investigation is very partisan and sounds like he's just waiting to find her guilty. Expect the repubs to run hard on that angle.

I don't see this as an "unfortunately" at all, tbh. Palin being a crook on top of a bad mother would be sweet.

Gaborn

gcubed said:
which people? I can assure you 100% that some voted against him because of his race. Believe me... i know a few

not saying that it matters, i am sure Hillary had just as many voting against her because she was a woman

You misunderstood my point. It's insulting to assume that the only reason blacks would vote for him is because of his race, since clearly Iowa and Wisconsin show that whites are voting for him on the merits of his policies.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd wager the Palin pick did just about as much to marshal support in the party as the Convention did.:lol Still, 50% is good stuff.

GhaleonEB

pxleyes said:
First time EITHER has gotten 50%. Huge day!
Rasmussen has Obama at 51%, the first time either have crossed the 50% mark as well.

I keep in mind that Obama fell a few points on the first two days of the convention (to -1 and -2 in Rasmussen and Gallup, respectively) so it's too early to say if the convention will move things back the other way.

But I'm starting to feel pretty good right now.

gcubed

Gaborn said:
You misunderstood my point. It's insulting to assume that the only reason blacks would vote for him is because of his race, since clearly Iowa and Wisconsin show that whites are voting for him on the merits of his policies.

ah ok, yes, sorry, i misunderstood... carry on then :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
laserbeam said:
Not insulting at all. The "experts" on gaf laugh at the very notion that Obama would only get 80% of the black vote.

You can try and dodge the issue but the fact is to many the unspoken assumption is Obama is geting the black vote because he is black. His acceptance speech was delibertly done on the day it was to drive home the racial identity fact while trying to say racial politics is not being done at all.

He will have lost votes due to his race but his race will also gain him votes.

We African Americans almost always voted Democrat straight down the ticket. About the speech, that date was set before Barack was even nominated. Denver has been in the makings for over two years.

painey

Theres something about Palin.. shes for the death penalty, pro gun and anti-abortion which makes her a fucking moron in my book, but still.. I kinda like her.

Gaborn

syllogism said:
But another former AIP official -- Mark Chryson, chairman of the AIP from 1995 to 2002 -- tells ABC News that "Palin was at the convention in 1994. She was there."

Was she a member?

Chryson can’t say.
"She may have been, I do not know," he says. Their records don't go back that far.

So... no, the member doesn't say she was a member.

lawblob said:
Identity politics is not necessarily a 'bad thing' in a normative sense, it's just a political reality.

Almost, but not quite: it's a human reality.

It's been developed through several thousands of years of evolution.

Superblatt said:
And 8 points is the largest lead he has held yet. I'm crossing my finger, since its still extremely early.

Actually I think it said he had a 9 point lead on his return from overseas. But still, splitting hairs. Those are fantastic numbers.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
Oh you don't know Gaborn!:p

It's not a nitpick, it's she says she wasn't a member, if she says she isn't, and the guy doesn't know she was, and then syllogism claims the guy in question SAYS she was, when he didn't say that... it's a matter of factual accuracy, hardly nit picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom