• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

Gallup said:
The latest results include interviews from Tuesday through Thursday night, though most of the interviewing was conducted before Obama's acceptance speech late Thursday.

The bounce is from the speakers, both Clinton's.

syllogism

v1cious said:
http://media.gallup.com/poll/graphs/080829DailyUpdateGraph1_tyghnbv.gif
WTF

this... can't include yesterday, right? it's just not possible
It does not, but the numbers today will be in line with yesterdays. Besides you can't simply look at a tracking poll to gauge the possibly effect of the final night. It's not just about convincing undecideds, but also about making current, but weak, supporters more comfortable with their pick.

v1cious

Banned
Mumei said:
<_<

August 29, 2008

Of course not.

lol nevermind. that's what i get for trusting aim tards.

back on the subject at hand, i don't see Palin swaying independents. she's anti gay marriage, anti science, and supports the Bush tax cuts.

PhoenixDark said:
:lol

Brilliant judgment McCain. I'd imagine they'll be doing as much covering up as investigating. Kicking your VP off the ticket would be a disaster

We've been talking here Chateau My House that the only way they might have thought this made sense is if they realized that this built in Scandal would give them:

a) The News Cycle Takeover
b) The Impetus For Her To Pull Herself Off The Ticket
c) The Veep McCain Wanted In The First Place

However, I don't think they realize, if this is the plan, how disastrous that would be for his campaign.

"He can't even pick his Vice President without flip flopping. Is this the judgement of someone fit to lead?"
"I'm Barack Obama, and I approve this message."

Easily the worst move in modern American politics, even if that isn't the plan. Hands down.

v1cious said:
080829DailyUpdateGraph1_tyghnbv.gif

WTF

this... can't include yesterday, right? it's just not possible
What are you talking about? He's 8 points ahead.

Zeliard said:
No, but they certainly are higher now than they were on, say, Thursday morning, when you look at Obama's speech that night and the Palin choice.

i dunno... the Palin choice plus the RNC is going to give mccain a very significant bump. they're alot more energized now

Tyrone Slothrop said:
i dunno... the Palin choice plus the RNC is going to give mccain a very significant bump. they're alot more energized, despite a historic speech a few days prior

I don't see how a whole day's news cycle of LOLWUT is going to help him immensely. As has been said several times, the base he's energizing is smaller than the base the Democrats just did.

Rawk Hawk

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't see how a whole day's news cycle of LOLWUT is going to help him immensely. As has been said several times, the base he's energizing is smaller than the base the Democrats just did.

Once the RNC finishes we will see, things were close before the DNC, then the bounce from his speech came. By next weekend I think we will know a lot more about where this was a interestingly smart pick or a god awful horrid pick.

I don't think it's as terrible as the media would lead you to believe, there's no good news if she is a normal person, how boring.

Mumei said:
Why, why, why do people attempt to equate their experience?

I agree that both Obama and Palin are relatively inexperienced if you compare the number of years either has been in politics; the problem is that I can forgive Obama for that because I know he's bloody brilliant (you don't become the editor of HLR and graduate magna cum laude from Harvard Law if you are dimwitted, after all), I've seen him day in and day out for nearly two years show a firm grasp of the issues, and I've seen him make claims on foreign policy for months that he is eventually vindicated on - and not because he got lucky, but because he could explain why the position he had taken was the first one.

Palin could well be bloody brilliant herself for all I know; perhaps the ditzy, "What is it that the Vice President actually does everyday?" routine is just that, and she actually has a firm grasp of issues unrelated to evolution, global warming, and foreign policy.

But I doubt it.
The caveat about this pick is not only Palin's experience, it's also a test of McCain's judgment.

Palin as his pick has gone against everything McCain has attacked Obama on, and CAMPAIGNED on these past few months: McCain touts his experience as enough for the presidency, but doesn't think enough of the Vice-presidency to pick someone who could be seen as equally competent? Are these not the same things that McCain has blasted Obama on for months? McCain has talked about experience in foreign policy and war specifically, yet his candidate is disproportionately clueless about such matters. McCain (and the media) have attacked Joe Biden and said that he contradicts the change that Obama is pushing, then picks a candidate which invalidates his platform of experience? This is all forgetting that McCain had Lieberman all but picked as late as Sunday, which says that Palin's pick was a woman cash grab to shoot him into the presidency, when McCain infamously said of Obama:

"My opponent would rather lose a war and win a campaign".

Sarah Palin may be a sharp cookie, but she was a dumb decision and she (and McCain) are going to be absolutely demolished for it.

syllogism

Branduil said:
People are still analyzing the pick as if McCain had a chance choosing a normal VP.
He could have chosen someone like Rob Portman or Meg Whitman. Perhaps vetting ruled them out, but Mccain wasn't that far behind in polls to force him to make a pick like this.

Branduil said:
People are still analyzing the pick as if McCain had a chance choosing a normal VP.

Oh, no doubt the GOP had just as much to do with this colossal failure. He was backed into a corner directly because the party is in such shambles. However, he could have said, "Hey, fuck you guys. I'm running against a guy who couldn't be more of an antithesis to everything core conservatives believe in. You want him in office? Fine, douchebags. Stay home. I'm going to pick someone that will get me the inroads to independents and maybe put some states in play and, you know, win this fucker." Instead he said "Guys! Guys! Wait up! Here! Check it out! No one's talking about Obama's speech anymore and I picked someone who's totally conservative!" And meanwhile behind him you've got a group of people about twice the size of the group he's currently facing with their jaws on the floor.

He made the wrong choice and appealed to the wrong group when it comes to ultimate deciding factors in this election. He isn't running against a lethargic democratic candidate OR party. This is not 2004. He has failed and it will cost him the election. As has been said all month. He had a slim margin to win it but he had to fire on all cylinders until November.

Instead, he just unloaded his gun and picked up a book to read.

quadriplegicjon said:
yesterday had the whole VP thing dominating the airways. i called it earlier. the media was pushing that instead of the speech.

That poll concluded on teh 28th, and was released on the 29th (yesterday). It doesn't include any effects the Obama speech had. Amir0x said a new one is coming out later today

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
PhoenixDark said:
That poll concluded on teh 28th, and was released on the 29th (yesterday). It doesn't include any effects the Obama speech had. Amir0x said a new one is coming out later today

ah. well. i still dont expect a huge jump if any.

On another point entirely, I think the Palin pick will backfire even for the means it was intended: women voters.

I think most women are going to shy away from Palin because of her lack of experience; they don't want the first woman in office to be a complete disaster. Hillary made more sense as she was a seasoned politician who's already handled power. Palin's a virtual unknown who has barely any credentials in Washington.

Tamanon

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
On another point entirely, I think the Palin pick will backfire even for the means it was intended: women voters.

I think most women are going to shy away from Palin because of her lack of experience; they don't want the first woman in office to be a complete disaster.

Plus there seems to be some backlash already building over her being on the campaign trail with a 5 month old.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Obama picked someone that would make him a better president
McCain picked someone that would make him a better candidate

The Palin pick effect won't be felt in polls for a while, and it will affect multiple polls, including Obama's experience etc. Its all down from here unless Obama screws up horribly.

Zeliard

Mumei said:
2810618377_1d08f2d3f6_o.png

Heh.

Women are more skeptical of Palin than men. :D

A lot of women are pissed off at the Palin choice because they rightfully consider it very sexist and condescending (the reasoning behind her pick being at least partly that she's a woman and would thus appeal automatically to other women). Even some ladies on the right are annoyed. Not Bay Buchanan, though, of course.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tamanon said:
Plus there seems to be some backlash already building over her being on the campaign trail with a 5 month old.
hey, she really is putting the country first.

syllogism

"McCain, about Romney in the Reagan Library debate on Jan. 30: “[W]e're in a time in our history where you can't afford any on-the- job training.” "

Mumei said:
2810618377_1d08f2d3f6_o.png

Heh.

Women are more skeptical of Palin than men. :D

Man. Just keeps getting better.

Also, had to LOL at this First Read comment:

Like most viewing this site, I do have a number of thoughts regarding this incredible VP selection, but really only one is worthy of print: thank god John McCain finally selected an individual worthy of competing with Cindy McCain for the title of Miss Buffalo Chip.

I really was worried about McCain choosing a female candidate. Someone like Christie Todd Whitman would have really drawn in the disaffected Hillary-only-voters. She was also a maverick. Probably pro-choice, but I can't believe this is such a deal-breaker for Republicans. Roe v. Wade might get overturned, but abortion itself is never going to be banned nationally. How does the VP even affect that agenda, if the President feels the opposite?

Palin's laughter on the radio sounded like a shocked/nervous giggle to me. Yeah, she should have called them out, but I assume Alaska doesn't have much of a radio market and she didn't want to burn bridges. I've laughed at plenty of things in poor taste that I should have called people out on.

The "what does the VP even do?" comment was the standard response prior to Cheney. I won't hold that against her, either. As has been pointed out here, except for Cheney, the duties are go to state and international funerals, break ties in the Senate and wait for the President to die.

The video of Karl Rove dismissing Tim Kaine as a lightweight, inexperienced choice (which I don't disagree with) is a gold mine. Has he made one of those hypocritical about-faces to praise her to the heavens? Nothing wrong with talking up the positive side of her (unsullied by DC, pro-life, pro-NRA, popular with constituents, corruption-buster), but to use proximity to the Bering Straight and PTA duties as examples of political experience is laughable. ObamaGAF readily acknowledges the fact that Biden needs to shut his big, fat mouth lest he trip up their chances, and yet RepubliGAF refuses to even question Palin's credentials. Talk about a cult mindset.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Agent Icebeezy said:
Obama picked someone that would make him a better president
McCain picked someone that would make him a better candidate

On the latter, I suppose she's the Holly Homemaker to his Old Man Yells At Cloud. Even then, I still don't see how this makes him a better candidate.

Triumph

Banned
Isn't it about time for the most recent Gallups? WHERE ARE MY GALLUPS, POLIGAF?

Also, I think we should start a petition to get amirox taken out of charge of poligaf. The threads are massive, bloated whale carcasses and he over moderates. WAH WAH WAH, SOMEONE SAID A BAD WORD OR CALLED ME A NAME. This is POLITICS, you wankers.

syllogism

Gallup says Obama polled better on Friday than prior to convention but not as well as on the previous nights. Numbers unchanged, as I said earlier.

Zeliard

adamsappel said:
The video of Karl Rove dismissing Tim Kaine as a lightweight, inexperienced choice (which I don't disagree with) is a gold mine. Has he made one of those hypocritical about-faces to praise her to the heavens? Nothing wrong with talking up the positive side of her (unsullied by DC, pro-life, pro-NRA, popular with constituents, corruption-buster), but to use proximity to the Bering Straight and PTA duties as examples of political experience is laughable. ObamaGAF readily acknowledges the fact that Biden needs to shut his big, fat mouth lest he trip up their chances, and yet RepubliGAF refuses to even question Palin's credentials. Talk about a cult mindset.

Dissing Tim Kaine has apparently become the main tactic on the right now to respond to the Palin lambasting ("But Kaine has only been governor for less than 3 years"). Nevermind that he wasn't even picked as VP, and that he runs Virginia, a considerably more important and critical state than Alaska in many ways. When you have nothing else to go on, attack the guy that's not on the ticket.

Cheebs

080830DailyUpdateGraph1_g4v3b1.gif

With 49% of the vote, Obama has tied his high for the campaign to date. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here.) He has received a boost in the polls coming out of the Democratic Party's convention this week, at which he became the first African-American to be nominated as the presidential candidate of a major political party.

The current results are based on Aug. 27-29 interviewing, which includes two nights of polling during the convention and one post-convention night on Friday. The Friday interviewing was conducted in an unusual political environment -- the first conducted fully after Obama's well-regarded acceptance speech and McCain's surprise announcement of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate. Each event in isolation has usually been associated with increased candidate support for the relevant party. On this day -- with strong partisan forces pushing the public in both directions -- Obama still polled better than he had been prior to the convention, but not as well as he was polling on the individual nights of the convention.

Now the focus shifts to the Republican convention in St. Paul, Minn., beginning Monday, and McCain hopes for a bounce similar to what Obama has enjoyed the past few days. -- Jeff Jones

MaddenNFL64

I think Obama locked up a big chunk of fence sitters. I don't think that 49 is going to move too much. Maybe drop a bit after the RNC, but not by much.

syllogism

MaddenNFL64 said:
I think Obama locked up a big chunk of fence sitters. I don't think that 49 is going to move too much. Maybe drop a bit after the RNC, but not by much.
It's going to drop, but if Mccain can't get ahead there's a reason to consider the convention a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom