• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
So tomorrow there will be some low-key required voting and whatnot, and then the Republican National Telethon. They're stepping on Jerry Lewis's gig. You don't want to get the nutty professor on your ass.

VanMardigan said:
If you could get banned for calling a politician dumb as a rock, this thread wouldn't exist, since 90% of the posters wouldn't be here (Hello Bush).

You misinterpreted my post. It's my rationale for calling Palin dumb as a rock that would get me banned, not the actual act of calling her dumb as a rock (which she is).

Feel free to call Palin dumb so long as you have actual content to back it up.

There's a mounting volume of evidence-from the her yahoo answers-esque response for "what do vp do?????" to the latest news that she thought the flippin' Founding Fathers wrote the pledge of allegiance, to her debate performances that she just isn't the brighest bulb in the batch. On the other hand, there is very, very little that shows that she's the kind of person who is able to think quick on her feet or speak from the cuff eloquently or intelligently, two things normally associated with intelligent politicians.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This pick went from "who?" to "lulz" in 2 days. Good job McCain you went and fucked this up good.

TDG

Banned
StoOgE said:
This pick went from "who?" to "lulz" in 2 days. Good job McCain you went and fucked this up good.
Yet outside of NeoGAF, there are actually people who are happy and energized about this pick!

M3wThr33

Banned
FoneBone said:
Just in case people don't understand why this means she's a dumbass:
In New York City on April 22, 1951, the Board of Directors of the Knights of Columbus adopted a resolution to amend their recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance at the opening of each of the meetings of the 800 Fourth Degree Assemblies of the Knights of Columbus by addition of the words "under God" after the words "one nation."

GhaleonEB

TDG said:
Yet outside of NeoGAF, there are actually people who are happy and energized about this pick!
Outside of NeoGAF, nearly 1/3 of people think Bush did a bang-up job the past eight years. 'Tis a fucked up world.

TDG said:

Yep, people who were going to vote for McCain anyway. The story that the media isn't covering is that this pick was done in large part to also bolster McCain's terrible voter enthusiasm ratings. I'm not at all convinced it will do much-I think that they robbed the paleoconservative Peter to pay the fundie nutjob Paul.

lexdysia

Banned
Trakdown said:
I'm so glad the McCain camp fell for the MSM's take on Hillary's supporters and made this possible. Most of them aren't pissed about a woman not winning, it's about the new kid being chosen over her. Picking a younger, less experienced person than Obama isn't going to help matters.

Obama and his campaign are geniuses for taking the tack they are re: Palin.

What did Obama hammer home Thursday night and has been practicing throughout his campaign? That this election will not be about identity politics, but the issues and judgment.

And he's been doing just that since Thursday, as well:

1. Don't mention Palin's name, but identify her stances on issues, contrasting them with your own while showing how it amounts to just more of the same from the McCain camp.

2. Highlight Biden's foreign policy experience and working-class background, with greater emphasis than before.

3. Let the media do what they do best, which is to focus on identity and image politics, with complementary tabloid charm.

4. Win.

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Outside of NeoGAF, nearly 1/3 of people think Bush did a bang-up job the past eight years. 'Tis a fucked up world.

We hired a new guy two weeks ago who is a SUPER supporter of George Bush. Now working at the Tobyhanna Army Depot as I do, it's no surprise many support McCain. Many are lifelong military families and lifelong Republicans, hunters that are pro-gun and cling to religion. But even most of them have abandoned their claims that Bush is a good president. Most of them admit he is a failure.

Not this guy. And the worst thing is whenever we are watching the news in the break room or something, he'll make these absurd comments and it takes everything in my power not to be very angry.

M3wThr33 said:
So what you were saying is that because Hillary didn't get pick, she was willing to throw all her ideals out the window just to vote for the other side out of spite? I don't get this logic. It's all driven by emotions and not fore-thought.

I know, that's exactly the problem. I think most women for Hillary had this gut reaction to boo the choice of Biden over Hill. For someone like her, elections are like, half logic+reason+policy, half image (she was pretty stoked about Hill and basically had no idea who this Obama dude was or what his policies were until I forced her to watch his speech). But she came around (like I assume most educated middle-aged women will).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fragamemnon said:
There's a mounting volume of evidence-from the her yahoo answers-esque response for "what do vp do?????" to the latest news that she thought the flippin' Founding Fathers wrote the pledge of allegiance, to her debate performances that she just isn't the brighest bulb in the batch. On the other hand, there is very, very little that shows that she's the kind of person who is able to think quick on her feet or speak from the cuff eloquently or intelligently, two things normally associated with intelligent politicians.

She certainly doesn't have a grasp on as many issues as McCain/Biden/Obama, and seems genuinely uninterested in others. Is she genuinely dumb? Those examples above point to "ignorant on certain subjects" rather than dumb, but we'll certainly have time to find out. And at the debates, we'll have our first indication on whether she's a quick learner.

and cling to religion.

grrrrrr

Fragamemnon said:
Yep, people who were going to vote for McCain anyway. The story that the media isn't covering is that this pick was done in large part to also bolster McCain's terrible voter enthusiasm ratings. I'm not at all convinced it will do much-I think that they robbed the paleoconservative Peter to pay the fundie nutjob Paul.

Mike Miller (is that his name? Olbersnooze's mortal enemy?) said it best on Meet The Press and, once again, proved me right. This is not an election about energizing your base. He said it so well. "I'd rather have an iffy majority than a really really excited 45%."

McCain is really bad at taking the most important factors into consideration when making a decision.

M3wThr33

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
I know, that's exactly the problem. I think most women for Hillary had this gut reaction to boo the choice of Biden over Hill. For someone like her, elections are like, half logic+reason+policy, half image (she was pretty stoked about Hill and basically had no idea who this Obama dude was or what his policies were until I forced her to watch his speech). But she came around (like I assume most educated middle-aged women will).
That's my hope. Even my fiancée can make some bone-headed statements when conflicted with a heavy emotion, but once she cools down, she realizes what she said.

lexdysia

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
That's my hope. Even my fiancée can make some bone-headed statements when conflicted with a heavy emotion, but once she cools down, she realizes what she said.

Uh, everyone does that, not just women.

Amir0x

Banned
FoneBone said:

Sarah Palin said:
"But uh...as for that VP pick talk all the time, I tell ya...I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me 'What is it exactly that the VP does everyday? I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in this administration and we want to make sure that the VP spot would be a fruitful sort of position especially for Alaska."

I'm not sure exactly how the full answer OR the full question changes the context at all. In fact, it makes it WORSE because it defines her potential reason behind accepting the VP slot as the ability to do something important for her specific state.

For the sake of discussion, i would like you to answer exactly how you interpret this absurd answer from Palin.

M3wThr33

Banned
lexdysia said:
Uh, everyone does that, not just women.
Yeah, but sometimes it can be a little more prevalent.

Anyway, www.PalinForAmerica.com has the world's best Internet forum.

http://www.palinforamerica.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&view=wrapper&Itemid=113

why does the liberal media keep knocking Bush? He has been in for 8 years and they keep saying he was bad. He made America strong in war as a leader. That is what leadership is all about, if a president can't be strong in war he is just weak. That is why we need 8 more years of Republican rule, so we can be strong in war (why can't they understand that simple fact?)

delirium

GhaleonEB said:
In some parts of his presidency, he did a fine job. Others, horrid. Maybe those people have a different priority to represent a good president.

Jenga said:
Why did that just remind me of "HOW DOES BABBY FORM?"

Because that was my intended reaction when I wrote that remark.

Mike Miller (is that his name? Olbersnooze's mortal enemy?) said it best on Meet The Press and, once again, proved me right. This is not an election about energizing your base. He said it so well. "I'd rather have an iffy majority than a really really excited 45%."

McCain is really bad at taking the most important factors into consideration when making a decision.

I said in the last thread that it appeared that they are using the same numbers that Karl Rove used in 2000 and 2004 and trying to win with them. It defies any and all logic, the voter registration shifts are large and impossible to ignore but they are seemingly doing just that.

Yay for dishonest cherry-picking.

A smarter politican mentioned as a dark horse pick by the conservative press for a while now knows what a VP's job responsbilities are-why did she need to ask a rhetorical question back in that clip? Again, "what do vp do? how one become vp????" is a very snarky and at least somewhat fair response to that video.

Macam

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:

Mike Murphy.

Macam

Banned
E-phonk said:
Diddy: Palin, I want you to be down.

I don't think he thought that sentence through.

Thinking isn't his strong suit:

Diddy said:
Sean "Diddy" Combs complained about the "... too high" price of gas and pleaded for free oil from his "Saudi Arabia brothers and sisters" in a YouTube video posted Wednesday. The hip-hop mogul said he is now flying on commercial airlines instead of in private jets, which Combs said had previously cost him $200,000 and up for a roundtrip between New York and Los Angeles.

"I'm actually flying commercial," Diddy said before walking onto an airplane, sitting in a first-class seat and flashing his boarding pass to the camera. "That's how high gas prices are. I'm at the gate right now. This is really happening, proof gas prices are too high. Tell whoever the next president is we need to bring gas prices down."

Man, I gotta say.

I just like these two guys. I like the way they interact, I like where they're coming from, I like what they focus on, I like their personalities.

That was nice stuff.

Jenga

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, I gotta say.

I just like these two guys. I like the way they interact, I like where they're coming from, I like what they focus on, I like their personalities.

That was nice stuff.
I wonder how a dual McCain/Palin interview would go.

delirium said:
I think she was joking on the fact that most VP just cast the deciding vote in the Senate. Many VP have commented on the fact that the VP job is pretty boring.

If they want it to be, or if the President makes it that way. It could be a very interactive governing experience, for better or worse.

pxleyes

Banned
delirium said:
I think she was joking on the fact that most VP just cast the deciding vote in the Senate. Many VP have commented on the fact that the VP job is pretty boring.
Even if this is the interpretation she wants to push, that would simply mean she has nothing to offer to the ticket beyond her gender.

BenjaminBirdie said:
If they want it to be, or if the President makes it that way. It could be a very interactive governing experience, for better or worse.

I view the VP position as more of an extension of the President, especially on foreign policy issues. For example, meetings with world leaders on two sides of a conflict simultaneously (i.e. Georgia and Russia). Or acting as a lead envoy to set the stage (get some background on particular issues, initial discovery of the issues at hand) for the President in international politics.

I think it has the potential to be a very important role, especially with the international climate that we have now.

PS2 KID

BenjaminBirdie said:

Seriously, think of all the Wii Fit, Guitar Hero or Singstar, etc. they could play while waiting for the President to drop dead or become unable to assume the duties of his position. It's not the most taxing job in the world. :lol

delirium said:

It's like you haven't been paying attention the last 8 years.

GhaleonEB

delirium said:
In some parts of his presidency, he did a fine job. Others, horrid. Maybe those people have a different priority to represent a good president.
Entirely possible, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people. I would add there are a few other types of folks supporting Bush right now - those simply not paying any attention but vote Republican because, well, they always have, and those who are single-issue voters; mostly pro-lifers.

I had a conversation around the time of the last election with a neighbor who was pretty conservative. We talked at length about how disappointed she was with Bush and how the war was a mistake, among other issues. And then at the end she said she was still voting for Bush because - and I quote - "I'll never vote Democrat since they support killing babies."

It was really eye-opening for me. I honestly don't understand that mentality, and can't fathom how to even engage in political conversation with people with that position. I tend not to argue with people on policy these days. Lots of folks are just entrenched.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
From kos.
mccainpalinbottledwater.jpg

:lol

Juice

GhaleonEB said:
Entirely possible, and I'm sure that's the case for a lot of people. I would add there are a few other types of folks supporting Bush right now - those simply not paying any attention but vote Republican because, well, they always have, and those who are single-issue voters; mostly pro-lifers.

I had a conversation around the time of the last election with a neighbor who was pretty conservative. We talked at length about how disappointed she was with Bush and how the war was a mistake, among other issues. And then at the end she said she was still voting for Bush because - and I quote - "I'll never vote Democrat since they support killing babies."

It was really eye-opening for me. I honestly don't understand that mentality, and can't fathom how to even engage in political conversation with people with that position. I tend not to argue with people on policy these days. Lots of folks are just entrenched.

Maybe because I was raised in a fundie background it doesn't shock me. When you're entrenched in a worldview that says every human life is sacred, killing is really bad, the only thing governments should really be in place to do is to stop killing, it's really a no-brainer 1+1=2 sort of decision to be against abortion. (Of course, other biblical references make them hypocritically pro death penalty.)

I'm pro-choice, but I admit that if I believed there was anything "sacred" about human life, I'd have to be pro-life, in spite of the ridiculous personal and societal conveniences and advantages of aborting unnecessary, unwanted fetuses.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Juice said:
Maybe because I was raised in a fundie background it doesn't shock me. When you're entrenched in a worldview that says every human life is sacred, killing is really bad, the only thing governments should really be in place to do is to stop killing, it's really a no-brainer 1+1=2 sort of decision to be against abortion. (Of course, other biblical references make them hypocritically pro death penalty.)

And yet they have no problem with starting wars where people are killed for nothing. Hypocritical, to say the least.

Juice said:
I'm pro-choice, but I admit that if I believed there was anything "sacred" about human life, I'd have to be pro-life, in spite of the ridiculous personal and societal conveniences and advantages of aborting unnecessary, unwanted fetuses.

Granted I don't think human life is sacred because I'm sort of a godless monstrosity of a person, but in general the debate isn't "is human life sacred" but "when does an independent human life begin".

Juice

reilo said:
And yet they have no problem with starting wars where people are killed for nothing. Hypocritical, to say the least.

Most compartmentalize it or express it as pent up aggression. Especially the gun-toting Christian male type--these are often mischaracterized as being pro-violence towards outsiders of their religion, but because of the media gap, I'd bet it's more just a gratification of their inability to have any fun and let anyone know about it.

Few rationalize it, but the majority of those who do generally convince themselves that they secure the church and their place in the world. Of course, a tiny minority actually believes holy wars are a good thing, but there's that lot too.

Juice

Fragamemnon said:
Granted I don't think human life is sacred because I'm sort of a godless monstrosity of a person, but in general the debate isn't "is human life sacred" but "when does an independent human life begin".

Well, to a Christian individual who either drinks the Kool-Aid or actually reads the scriptures, it's easy to make the case that human life begins at (or in some cases, pre-) conception. If 'God knit you in your mother's womb', then to cancel that process out on your own at any time would and has been construed to be counter to God's will, selfish, sinful, etc. etc.

reilo said:

This rationalization all comes down to innocence-the unimplanted blastocyst/embryo has never committed sin, while the 18-year-old who wants to get ahead in life through the GI Bill is sent to the meat grinder without question since no man is inherently evil and carries his sinful nature with him/her.

Diablos

Zabka said:
"Change is coming! Change is coming! Change is coming!"

I heard McCain talking about Hope in an interview this morning too. He's trying to hijack Obama's message.
He's been doing this all year. Remember when his website even ripped off the Obama webteam with his LEADERSHIP YOU CAN BELIEVE IN pic? Colors, font, everything. They made it so blatantly obvious.

This hurricane and McCain's response may end up giving him a huge bump.

acksman

GhaleonEB said:

It has also been interesting to watch the microcosm which is the world of NeoGAF and the Obama love. This election is going to be much closer than many think and with Palin, things are going to be interesting.

Anecdotal:
My wife and her girlfriends, which were not going to vote in this election are now saying they will be voting McCain because of Palin's values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom