• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

PhoenixDark said:
If I was Obama I'd use this opportunity to start doing what he should have been doing the minute Hillary lost: press women issues like there's no tomorrow. This equal pay/equal work issue has gained traction recently, and was mentioned often during the DNC. It's time to hit that hard from now until November, at every stump, speech, debate, etc. Why not make a 100 Days pledge: to pass legislation guaranteeing equal pay/equal work. I bet Hillary would love to write that bill

Plus it's good to see the dem surrogates hitting Palin hard without doing it directly. The vice president should be ready to step in on day one, and is a heart beat away from the presidency
And here....we......go.....

OBAMA: PALIN AGAINST EQUAL PAY

TOLEDO, Ohio -- At an economy town hall here Sunday afternoon, Obama said his rival's pick for vice president was against equal pay for equal work.

“We're gonna make sure that equal pay for equal work is a reality in this country,” he said. “You know, John McCain's new VP nominee seems like a very engaging person, a nice person, but I've got to say, she's opposed like John McCain is to equal pay for equal work. That doesn't make much sense to me.”

“I've got two daughters and when I think about them, I say to myself, I want to make sure that those girls have exactly the same opportunities as anybody's sons will,” Obama continued. “That's why were gonna fight for equal pay for equal work. That's why were gonna fight for sick days for workers if their child is sick or they've got an ailing parent. That's why were gonna make sure that we expand family leave so that more people can utilize it and so that women who are in the workforce are able to balance work and family. And men too.”
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/31/1315768.aspx

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

Doesn't MSNBC have proof-readers?

“I've got two daughters and when I think about them, I say to myself, I want to make sure that those girls have exactly the same opportunities as anybody's sons will,” Obama continued. “That's why were gonna fight for equal pay for equal work. That's why were gonna fight for sick days for workers if their child is sick or they've got an ailing parent. That's why were gonna make sure that we expand family leave so that more people can utilize it and so that women who are in the workforce are able to balance work and family. And men too.”

Can this RNC guy stop saying "with that being said" ?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Ah, I was hoping for a new interview. It was probably too short notice. McCain was supposed to be on FoxNews Sunday, I saw a clip from the interview yesterday.

Let's lay off the insults, it hinders pleasant conversation. :(

Palin's home town paper SLAMS her on bridge to nowhere lie.

http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/511471.html
Palin touts stance on 'Bridge to Nowhere,' doesn't note flip-flop

By TOM KIZZIA
tkizzia@adn.com

Published: August 31st, 2008 02:29 AM
Last Modified: August 31st, 2008 03:06 AM

When John McCain introduced Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate Friday, her reputation as a tough-minded budget-cutter was front and center.

"I told Congress, thanks but no thanks on that bridge to nowhere," Palin told the cheering McCain crowd, referring to Ketchikan's Gravina Island bridge.

But Palin was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it.

The Alaska governor campaigned in 2006 on a build-the-bridge platform, telling Ketchikan residents she felt their pain when politicians called them "nowhere." They're still feeling pain today in Ketchikan, over Palin's subsequent decision to use the bridge funds for other projects -- and over the timing of her announcement, which they say came in a pre-dawn press release that seemed aimed at national news deadlines.

"I think that's when the campaign for national office began," said Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Weinstein noted, the state is continuing to build a road on Gravina Island to an empty beach where the bridge would have gone -- because federal money for the access road, unlike the bridge money, would have otherwise been returned to the federal government.

<more>
This is a must read article in its entirety.

Now THIS is a real issue to be discussed. I hope her telling this lie will get some air time on the networks but I won't hold my breath.

Gustav is headed straight for New Orleans,

gustav471.jpg

gusta4794.jpg

reilo

Karma Kramer said:
K... Looks like its going to bad I take it :(

When Katrina hit NO it was a Category 5, Gustav is projected to be a category 2, with much improved levies and canals. Also, many people have smartly evacuated this time around. Hopefully it won't be that bad.

reilo said:
When Katrina hit NO it was a Category 5, Gustav is projected to be a category 2, with much improved levies and canals. Also, many people have smartly evacuated this time around. Hopefully it won't be that bad.
this is wrong Katrina weaken to Cat 3 just before landfall I believe

besada

Banned
reilo said:

Katrina was a Cat 3 when it hit, not 5. As far as I know, there's never been a Cat 5 that hit a heavily populated area in the U.S. The worst natural disaster in our history, the Galveston hurricane of 1900, was probably a Cat 4. It killed more than 6,000 people.

Also, the weakest part of the levee system is on the west bank, which is where the storm surge will be coming. Nice to see that this one's having organizational problems, though.

reilo

Smiles and Cries said:
this is wrong Katrina weaken to Cat 3 just before landfall I believe

Oh. My bad. But it is still projected to be weaker than Katrina, no?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Does everyone forget what really happened with Katrina? The storm came and went and everyone breathed a sigh of relief because the city had weathered the storm... THEN the levies broke...

It wasn't the wind that caused the damage, it was the water.

El_TigroX said:
Does everyone forget what really happened with Katrina? The storm came and went and everyone breathed a sigh of relief because the city had weathered the storm... THEN the levies broke...

Quoted for truth.

Jonm1010

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
ruh roh

palin may be a formidable opponent for biden after all. after watching meet the press it seems to me she has his number on his credit card legislation fuckups and his voting against an alaskan pipeline that happened to bring in a ton of revenue.

Let them ask her what the difference is between a sunni a shia and a kurd and see her answer that.

El_TigroX said:

are the levees stronger now? what exactly did they do?

reilo said:
Posted?

“We must redirect our efforts from the really celebratory event of the nomination of president and vice president of our party to acting as all Americans," McCain said. "We’ll change our program and I’ll be announcing details of it in the next few hours. But there’s very little doubt that we have to go from a party event to a call to the nation for action, action to help our fellow citizens in this time of tragedy and disaster, action in the form of volunteering, donations, reaching out our hands and our hearts and our wallets to the people who are under such great threat from this great natural disaster. I pledge that tomorrow night, and if necessary, throughout our convention if necessary, to act as Americans not Republicans, because America needs us now no matter whether we are Republican or Democrat."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/31/1315560.aspx

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12565687&postcount=5890

crystal_ball_sm.jpg

Diablos

PhoenixDark said:
*icalledit.gif*

Once this election started it seemed like Iraq and health care would be the big issues. Now it's Iraq/foreign policy and energy, both of which tie together in some ways. Obama should make equal pay/equal work one of the major pillars of this race, as well as his tax cut program.
Obama should ALSO be hammering the fact that just at the beginning of the month, Palin praised his stance on energy!

reilo

RNCC plastered the different seating levels with "McCAIN, COUNTRY FIRST, SERVICE" all around.

thekad

Banned
adamsappel said:
This is some Saturday Night Massacre* type shit. This could have some serious repercussions when the investigation concludes October 31. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get postponed, though. How crazy would it be to start impeachment proceedings against a Vice-President-elect?

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Massacre
The fact that she used appointed government officials to interfere with the investigation and is apparently citing executive priviledge now is enough to make me cringe with memories of the Bush administration - whether she is guilty of the initial claims or not.

Diablos: I'm pretty sure she only praised one facet of Obama's energy plan (windfall profits tax?).

mj1108

Cloudy said:
LMAO at the Fox News guy all pissed at their pro-Obama answers

In the group they were asked if the election was held today, who would they vote for.... Obama won 15-9. Fox News guy wasn't too happy I don't think. :lol

EDIT: For anyone wanting a break from Gustav coverage, McCain/Palin is holding a rally on CSPAN right now. What are the chances of her using the same speech she's used the last 2 days?

DEO3

I just found out my Mom is no longer voting for McCain because of Palin.

Holy shit.

I've been trying to sell her and my father on Obama for months, but they never wanted to hear it. My Dad listens to AM talk radio every day and is always echoing Republican talking points, and my Mom doesn't really follow politics and just believes whatever my Dad tells her.

But when I went over to thier house earlier today, my Mom came up to me and asked if I had "heard about that woman John McCain choose as for his vice president" to which I replied, "Yeah I don't know, isn't she like the mayor of a town of 7,000 in Alaska or something?" She opened her eyes really wide and said, "Yes! Why did he do that! I mean what if something happens to him, I can't believe he did that! I don't know how I can vote for him, I mean why would he do that! What if something happens to him!"

She was really really shocked.

She then went on to talk about how at least Obama choose someone who could step in if something were to happen to him, I couldn't believe my ears. I then asked her what my Dad thought about the Palin and she said he was just as blown away. Neither of them feel comfortable voting for McCain now.

Holy shit.

Trakdown

DEO3 said:

Holy shit.

I've been trying to sell her and my father on Obama for months, but they never wanted to hear it. My Dad listens to AM talk radio every day and is always echoing Republican talking points, and my Mom doesn't really follow politics and just believes whatever my Dad tells her.

But when I went over to thier house earlier today, my Mom came up to me and asked if I had "heard about that woman John McCain choose as for his vice president" to which I replied, "Yeah I don't know, isn't she like the mayor of a town of 7,000 in Alaska or something?" She opened her eyes really wide and said, "Yes! Why did he do that! I mean what if something happens to him, I can't believe he did that! I don't know how I can vote for him, I mean why would he do that! What if something happens to him!"

She then went on to talk about how at least Obama choose someone who could step in if something were to happen to him, I couldn't believe my ears. I then asked her what my Dad thought about the Palin and she said he was just as blown away. Neither of them feel comfortable voting for McCain now.

Holy shit.

I don't blame them. If Obama picked up somebody he had barely vetted, I'd wonder about voting for him too.

DEO3 said:

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

My parents had a similar reaction.

I don't think this decision has went over as well as the media thinks it has.

Mumei

DEO3 said:

Holy shit.

Holy shit.

Heh.

That was my grandmother's reaction. She was furious. :lol

Cloudy

Banned

Well, the media has to bend over backwards to give the positives so the don't get accused of favoritism. Also, a close race = more ratings and by all accounts, this is a very close race..

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
TheGrayGhost said:
My parents had a similar reaction.

I think it's pretty much a wash. For everyone voting 'cause she's a woman or a 'sexy librarian' there's someone like your folks seeing the reality of it all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DEO3 said:

So you lied to your mother cause you want Obama to win? Ok, buddy.

reilo

VanMardigan said:
So you lied to your mother cause you want Obama to win? Ok, buddy.

Oh no! He said "isn't" instead of "wasn't"! What a deceiving motherfucker.

Zabka

"Change is coming! Change is coming! Change is coming!"

I heard McCain talking about Hope in an interview this morning too. He's trying to hijack Obama's message.

Cloudy

Banned
Am I the only one who finds it funny that the McCain campaign keeps stealing the Obama camp's slogans? They were chanting "Yes, we can" at the rally on Friday and now McCain is using "Change" a lot too :lol

reilo

VanMardigan said:
That's a huge fucking difference considering her current position. Are you for real?

Still doesn't change the fact that she is an awful pick and completely unqualified to become the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES in case something horrible happens to McCain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom