• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Diablos said:

Why are people finding his proposition so preposterous??! WHat the fuck does a vote mean, if that vote is based on nothing but bullshit? I mean, seriously? Whats wrong with asking people to know some basics about their candidates before they can exercise their right to vote? I know people are stunned at the idea because we're not used to it, but if you use any objective and rational reasoning for a minute you'll realize it makes perfect sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There should be a rule that no polls can be posted because they are USELESS, especially internet polls. Some guy from Russia can vote on them.

Gantz

Banned
df2b075fba.png

laserbeam

Banned
Jak140 said:
You're forgetting that logic doesn't apply to them; if they can spin this into the story of a good mother under attack, they will. Watch. This story breaks, and they will rally even more behind her.

Guess you guys missed

WARNING: Any mention of the "smear campaign" against Palin not actually being pregnant with that fifth child (who was born with Down's Syndrome) will result in a five day ban. This is the same way we treated Obama's 'secret muslim' garbage.

FightyF

Banned
Hitokage said:
All this talk about literacy tests and poll taxes misses the fucking point. If you have a problem with the people voting, then work to improve them, not exclude them.

Not disagreeing with you, I think that's the best approach, but it could be argued that testing would encourage others to "improve" to earn the right.

How possible is it that special interest groups are the ones "educating" people on election topics moreso than the media or the Presidential candidates themselves? I mean, say you had an evangelical church, they would "educate" their participants (there's a better term I can't think of it now) to vote for the guy who they think is doing the right thing in regards to what they feel is their #1 issue. Say you had a worker's union, they would "educate" their workers to vote for the guy who they think they are doing right for the issue they feel is most important.

How many Americans would groups like the above cover? I always assumed that it would be most Americans...that most Americans were highly influenced by said groups.

Jak140

Ionas said:
To be honest, I'm shocked that so many people are "spinning" it as a bad thing...
The hell are you implying? There are plenty of legitimate things to go after her with without chasing this risky bullshit that just might come up roses for the GOP. Like these for instance:

Her laughing at a cancer survivor Senator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKkydrUnBZE

Her being investigated for wrongfully firing:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211769.php

Her flip-flopping and lying about her position on the bridge to nowhere:
http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/511471.html

Not to mention her being an unknown quantity to the American public, her complete lack of foreign policy experience (she had no postition on Iraq before being chosen), and the fact that John McCain only met her once before chosing her for his VP.

Jak140

laserbeam said:
Guess you guys missed

WARNING: Any mention of the "smear campaign" against Palin not actually being pregnant with that fifth child (who was born with Down's Syndrome) will result in a five day ban. This is the same way we treated Obama's 'secret muslim' garbage.
Guess you missed that I'm on your side. Besides, by your own logic, you just got yourself banned.

harSon

Banned
Ionas said:
So that the parents (as well as their doctors) would have a good amount of time to prepare for the practical and emotional implications of raising a special needs child. Amniocentesis isn't just a "let's see if there's a reason we should abort" test.

It's still an unneeded risk?

Ionas

Jak140 said:
The hell are you implying? There are plenty of legitimate things to go after her with without chasing this risky bullshit that just might come up roses for the GOP. Like these for instance...

I think you misunderstood me; I was simply commenting that I actually think that babygate probably WOULD "come up roses for the GOP" because it's something of a sympathetic story to begin with.

laserbeam

Banned
Jak140 said:
The hell are you implying? There are plenty of legitimate things to go after her with without chasing this risky bullshit that just might come up roses for the GOP. Like these for instance:

Her laughing at a cancer survivor Senator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKkydrUnBZE

Her being investigated for wrongfully firing:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211769.php

Her flip-flopping and lying about her position on the bridge to nowhere:
http://www.adn.com/sarahpalin/story/511471.html

Not to mention her being an unknown quantity to the American public, her complete lack of foreign policy experience (she had no postition on Iraq before being chosen), and the fact that John McCain only met her once before chosing her for his VP.

Honestly her laughing at the senatoron the show is too much of a non issue. How many people every day including on Gaf laugh at things that are inappropriate and off colored?

We all have our moments

Jak140

Ionas said:
I think you misunderstood me; I was simply commenting that I actually think that babygate probably WOULD "come up roses for the GOP" because it's something of a sympathetic story to begin with.

In that case, sorry I misread you.

laserbeam said:
Honestly her laughing at the senatoron the show is too much of a non issue. How many people every day including on Gaf laugh at things that are inappropriate and off colored?

We all have our moments

That's why we're people of GAF and not public officials.

laserbeam

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
That's why we're people of GAF and not public officials.
We are all human beings and plenty of they should know better people get in gaffes. There is an obvious political bias in the need for some to continue hammering such a non issue.

Jak140

laserbeam said:

We all have our moments
Oh please. If Obama was caught doing that, there would be no end to hearing about it on the MSM. When you are running for high office, everything you do is amplified and scrutinized. Repeatedly laughing at something like that while in the office of governor, then later appearing on the same show on the day of your VP nomination shows political naivety and a lack of judgment. Hardly qualities becoming of a VP nominee.

laserbeam

Banned
Jak140 said:
Oh please. If Obama was caught doing that, there would be no end to hearing about it on the MSM. When you are running for high office, everything you do is amplified and scrutinized. Repeatedly laughing at something like that while in the office of governor, then later appearing on the same show on the day of your VP nomination shows political naivety and a lack of judgment. Hardly qualities becoming of a VP nominee.

She laughed at innappropriate jokes. We have Biden making racially insensitive comments that could very well underline a racist tendency.

Ionas

Jak140 said:
In that case, sorry I misread you.
It's all good.

Now let's just hope we aren't banned...

Concerning that, actually, wouldn't it be ok to discuss the implications of the story? Obviously speculation as to its truth is more or less useless (since douchebaggery seems to far outweigh actual insider information with these types of stories), but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Trakdown

Jak140 said:

Relax. She hasn't even cleared the "Who the fuck is this woman" hurdle yet in the news cycle for most people, and where she has, she hasn't cleared the "able to take over when McCain kicks the bucket" hurdle. And probably won't.

Also, there's kind of a hurricane going on. That might just rate a bit higher than Cruella De Vil's little snicker fit.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
laserbeam said:

We all have our moments

That's why we're not running for public office.

You should expect more from elected officials, not just try to ignore it or rationalize it with 'we're just humans'.

Because humans are capable of many ghastly things, including multiple cases of microwaving babies -_-.

Whatever the case is, it's just another factual bit of evidence that builds a mounting case against Palin and just exactly how unfit she is to be waiting in the wings of the highest office in the country, or world even.

The scandal stuff may be sexy but it's ultimately far less important than the real issue, which is that 18 months ago she was in charge of a town the size of my street, and now people are being asked to put her one bad pretzel away from the nuclear launch codes. That's the message that needs to get hammered home for the next 60 days, not any of this soap opera bullshit.

Jak140

laserbeam said:
She laughed at innappropriate jokes. We have Biden making racially insensitive comments that could very well underline a racist tendency.

The MSM tried to run with that too. Besides, gaffes on his part hardly negates criticism of her.

AniHawk

Gary Whitta said:
The scandal stuff may be sexy but it's ultimately far less important than the real issue, which is that 18 months ago she was in charge of a town the size of my street, and now people are being asked to put her one bad pretzel away from the nuclear launch codes. That's the message that needs to get hammered home for the next 60 days, not any of this soap opera bullshit.
Well put.

Jak140

Trakdown said:
Relax. She hasn't even cleared the "Who the fuck is this woman" hurdle yet in the news cycle for most people, and where she has, she hasn't cleared the "able to take over when McCain kicks the bucket" hurdle. And probably won't.

Also, there's kind of a hurricane going on. That might just rate a bit higher than Cruella De Vil's little snicker fit.
No I agree that the hurricane trumps this by a mile. I was just responding to laserbeam's criticism that it wasn't relevant.

Ionas

harSon said:
It's still an unneeded risk?
Do you know the incidence of amniocentesis-induced miscarriages? I imagine such tests are done only after risk-calculation has taken place.

And it doesn't have to be "needed" to be highly useful and ultimately good; just think of, say, painkillers.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Gary Whitta said:

But she's a mother of 5! She's done incredibly to manage such a large family as well as a small town!

Trakdown

Gary Whitta said:

Exactly. Forget the Dynasty nonsense that may or may not have happened, the legit stuff is fucking delicious. If you absolutely have to go down the baby road, rip her for taking the next 70 days off to campaign while her Down Syndrome addled child begins one of the most important parts of development- time she's not going to ever get back.

killakiz

I'd dont see why talking about the baby coverup is a bad, how different is it from the Edwards misstress? All the evidence seems legit, we should keep discussing it until the truth comes out.... If all else fails this show how much of a selfish mother she is, along with crappy judgement.

killakiz said:
I'd dont see why talking about the baby coverup is a bad, how different is it from the Edwards misstress? All the evidence seems legit, we should keep discussing it until the truth comes out.... If all else fails this show how much of a selfish mother she is, along with crappy judgement.

Stop being an idiot. You're making liberals look as bad as the dumb stuff conservatives say about Obama or Hillary or Bill Clinton.

Ionas

killakiz said:
If all else fails this show how much of a selfish mother she is, along with crappy judgement.
Again, I honestly don't understand this kind of sentiment. How is adopting your underage daughter's baby a bad thing?

killakiz said:
Nice knowing you.

They warned, even banned over this conversation. You should just drop it until there's some legit proof.

Imm0rt4l

Matthew Gallant said:
We've already got one!
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080901/capt.1fc3b0863b094bec833cf95979139a09.mccain_2008_moss108.jpg[img]
If elected, HNNNNNNGGG[/QUOTE]

praymccaindoesntdie.jpg

laserbeam said:
We are all human beings and plenty of they should know better people get in gaffes. There is an obvious political bias in the need for some to continue hammering such a non issue.

The thing is, for a politician, gaffes could be disastrous on the international stage.

3 days have passed since the S. Palin announcement and do you know who has been invisible since that time as far as audio and video. Joe. Lieberman. Is it possible he's reconsidering his all out fanboyism for John S. McCain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom