• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

The funny thing is with all this stuff now, and how secure the election seems for Obama.. if he were to lose I'd have to go get a gallon tub of popcorn and watch the tears flow on basically all of the internet (digg and gaf the most though!)

ejbgon.jpg

Raistlin

Exactly what is wrong with the AIP thing? She didn't seem to say anything wrong; sounded like a typical BS address a governor would give for a major group in her state?

Or is she an active member?

EDIT : just read the article, ah, she was a member for 2 years in the 90's. Could be used against her for certain ... though if it was almost 20 years ago, I wouldn't expect it to really have legs.

rhfb said:
The funny thing is with all this stuff now, and how secure the election seems for Obama.. if he were to lose I'd have to go get a gallon tub of popcorn and watch the tears flow on basically all of the internet (digg and gaf the most though!)

If this election is lost, there really isn't much that the Democrats will ever be able to do in the future to win. If one didn't have any polling data, it would make sense to believe that the election had been given to the Democrats on a silver platter.

It's unlikely that the Democratic party will have such a charismatic and inspiring persona in conjunction against such a weak opponent who is the member of a near universally-despised administration in the foreseeable future. Almost every aspect of McCain's campaign has been within the Average~Poor range.

If the Democrats lose this time, what can possibly be done to win?

v1cious said:
You piece of human scum. Pick the time and date. I will kick your a$$. You are despicable.

There is one indisputable fact–Sarah Palin gave life to a baby boy who has Down’s Syndrome. And you dare to suggest that this was an illegitimate birth by her daughter.

You have no sense of decency or honor. You deserve to be beaten in every manner conceivable. You and your cohorts spread this vicious lie. You are a spineless coward.

There is only one truth. Sarah Palin’s Down’s Syndrome baby has more humanity and intelligence than you will ever achieve in your pathetic life. You are a synonym for a$$hole.

I will fight you with one arm tied behind my back and destroy you. Please, accept the challenge. Make my day.
.http://boards.msn.com/MSNBCboards/thread.aspx?threadid=766338&boardsparam=Page%3d1
:lol :lol
Actually, now I fully understand why the McCain campaign had to get this info out ASAP in face of that (false) rumor.

Basically, a lot of McCain/Palin supporters might go all crazy over such an allegation of her daughter having an out-of-wedlock child such as shown here.

The more people went out there with that kind of defense, the harder it would be deal with the fact that her daughter actually is now pregnant.

So I now understand.

rhfb said:

I still think it's gonna be a close election. Always have although I give Obama the advantage. Stuff like this doesn't effect the mass of the people. They will still vote the same as they were prior.

johnsmith

remember me
Onix said:
Exactly what is wrong with the AIP thing? She didn't seem to say anything wrong; sounded like a typical BS address a governor would give for a major group in her state?

She was a member in the 90s.

Onix said:

She was a member in the 90's along with her husband. She left and joined the republican party when she ran for mayor.

Gaborn

Onix said:

that she was a member for two years in the 1990s of the Alaska Independence Party, which has at times sought a vote on whether the state should secede;

NYT story that was posted earlier.

johnsmith said:
Nominate someone white. Sad, but true.

That and move even more to the center and the right which is the biggest reason I want Obama elected. Our country and the democratic party have lurched too far that way anyway for my taste.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
You know, everytime I start feeling sorry for the GOP, I remind myself of all their transgressions, their infinite lies and bullshit, their never-ending smears, hypocrisy, callous fear mongering, discrimination, and how they've taken the US into the shitter, as well as countries abroad, unapologetically. The feeling then dissipates instantly. Palin may not deserve this. But her party sure as hell does, and she had a choice of whether she wanted to put herself in this position.

Oh, and can someone start a compilation of youtube videos of Mccain reps/GOP strategists getting owned when these become available? It feels like Im missing a hell of alot.

GhaleonEB

Tobor said:
To the point and brutal. They got the freshness, alright.
And that's one of the Times' front page story.

How does the McCain camp steer this? If these stories had come out one at a time over the course of the campaign it would be ugly but they could spin them off. This is a tsunami (hurricane?). Where do you even start tomorrow morning?

Gaborn

Tobor said:
In a year when we have an incredibly unpopular war and a hosed economy, yes.

Calling opponents of Obama racist should be a bannable offense imo. (at least without evidence they're actually racist)

Slurpy said:
You know, everytime I start feeling sorry for the GOP, I remind myself of all their transgressions, their infinite lies and bullshit, their never-ending smears, hypocrisy, callous fear mongering, discrimination, and how they've taken the US into the shitter, as well as countries abroad, unapologetically. The feeling then dissipates instantly. Palin may not deserve this. But her party sure as hell does, and she had a choice of whether she wanted to put herself in this position.

All I think of is George Bush leading us on a bullshit war and my righteous anger returns. I've always tried to be relatively objective and respect republicans even though those aren't my views but rewarding a party that has let George Bush run wily-nily for eight years deserves the ultimate punishment.

Tobor

GhaleonEB said:
And that's one of the Times' front page story.

How does the McCain camp steer this? If these stories had come out one at a time over the course of the campaign it would be ugly but they could spin them off. This is a tsunami (hurricane?). Where do you even start tomorrow morning?

They would have at least done some internal polling before the pick, right? I'd love to see those numbers, but it's looking like McCain flipped a coin at this point.

Slurpy said:

Oh, and can someone start a compilation of youtube videos of Mccain reps/GOP strategists getting owned when these become available? It feels like Im missing a hell of alot.

In the long term, the scrutiny is not on Palin or her family. No one has a right to judge them personally. The scrutiny is on a man who chooses to thrust her into the spotlight, subvert his party's message, distract from his party's convention, and put the country at risk should something happen to him.

GhaleonEB said:

All they have to do is pick the story least damaging and decide to release a statement on it in the morning. That will make that story the headline for a day or two, unless the Dems are really persistent with all these scandals.

Gaborn said:
Calling opponents of Obama racist should be a bannable offense imo. (at least without evidence they're actually racist)

Blanket calling people not voting for Obama racist. Yes. Observing that a white man has historically had a much better shot of being elected. Nope.

That NYTimes article hits the nail on the head. I think A LOT of people are going to be questioning McCain's judgement in light of all this. I really think McCain has already ended up owning himself with this pick, but I think it's going to continue to hurt him going forward as well.

Tobor said:
They would have at least done some internal polling before the pick, right? I'd love to see those numbers, but it's looking like McCain flipped a coin at this point.

How could they? They had a few days. I think Lieberman was his pick until Monday or Tuesday.

Flakster99

Jesus Christ I've been catching up on the thread now 19 pages and I've been chuckling page after page. :lol

Thank you Palin, thank you NeoGAF, thank you CNN (carville)!

GhaleonEB

Tobor said:
I can't remember where it was, but I read a rumor last week that McCain picked Palin after Hillary and Bill's speech focus tested extremely well, indicating the democrats were rallying behind Obama. McCain's convention strategy of wedging Clinton and Obama supporters wasn't working, so he essentially doubled down on it by picking a woman.

Gaborn

Stoney Mason said:
Blanket calling people not voting for Obama racist. Yes. Observing that a white man has historically had a much better shot of being elected. Nope.

That's true. Still, if Obama loses this campaign I don't believe it'll be because of racism and I think it puts quite a chill on the process to hint that Obama could lose because of a tiny percentage of racists, it just has too much of a negative implication on people who have honest ideological disagreements with the man.

Tobor

Gaborn said:

I'm not calling anyone in particular a racist, but to deny the undertones are there is naive.

Realistically, a bad war and a bad economy means a change in power. There is almost no way to fight that inevitably, so if it doesn't happen, something else is going on.

Gaborn said:
That's true. Still, if Obama loses this campaign I don't believe it'll be because of racism and I think it puts quite a chill on the process to hint that Obama could lose because of a tiny percentage of racists, it just has too much of a negative implication on people who have honest ideological disagreements with the man.

I apologize if I offended you, Gaborn. I sincerely hope the percentage is as small as you say.

Ponn

Banned
Frank the Great said:
All they have to do is pick the story least damaging and decide to release a statement on it in the morning. That will make that story the headline for a day or two, unless the Dems are really persistent with all these scandals.

The problem is the Dems don't have as many loud mouthpieces in the media and radio bringing the points up over and over and over and over and over...

I love how neither the Obama campaign or Hillary has done a damn thing about this whole Palin fiasco. Really brilliant move on their part to let it just implode on itself.

Gaborn said:

Someone asked me a question in a PM about racism in the race. I'll omit the person's name and just post my response.

Serious question: Do you feel other black members of Politi-GAF are accurate in their assessment of race playing a role?

I do but in a more nuanced way and not exactly to the degree that some of them do. I do believe that if Obama was a random white guy from random town USA with his oratorical skills and his compelling story and message he would be up more. But it's also unfair to just make blanket statements that people who aren't voting for Obama are racist.

People will always have a tendency to vote for people like them. However we perceive that. People who look at John Mccain and have led that sort of life and walked in those sorts of shoes naturally have an inclination towards that. Same with Barrack Obama and same with Hillary and same with whoever. It's silly to pretend that these social groups don't exist. My mother is voting for Barrack I'm certain partially because her life experience tells her that Barrack understands the life and struggles she has led because he is black. She doesn't communicate that verbally and she would never say that but I know it exists and it exists within everybody so I'm sure that it has to exist within the minds of white people in this country because they grew up in the same society I did.

Where it gets tricky is nobody black or white wants to admit this because we are all a little bit ashamed of it and think we should be beyond it but we aren't. So we demonize groups that we think are guilty of voting in this manner because it's something we want to beyond but aren't. It's just a slow evolution and it takes time. I think some white people aren't voting for Obama A) because he is black but I think some aren't voting for him because B.) he doesn't represent their life experience or world view which is different from being racist. And then some aren't voting for him C.) simply because they disagree with him on the issues. I'm not smart enough to say which percentage is in each category but I think everybody wants a society where it's the C case but we are human and it will take a long time to get everbody there but we are progressing.

When I talk to black people around me, there is a large contingent that think no way he will win even though they support him greatly. And it's funny because probably it's not PC but I rarely hear this narrative on TV but you hear it in the black community all the time that the "white people" won't let him win. Even when he was winning in large white states in the primary with overwhelmingly white populations (which was even surprising to me) there was this constant theme of they won't let him win the nomination which has now become they won't let him win the presidency. I think that's wrong. I think it's a outdated mode of thinking. I think it says something about how far we've come that a black guy (whether he's bi-racial or not) can get this far. This isn't 1950's Selma and black people should stop talking like it is. We still have a long way to go but the excuse of the white man holding people down has gone the way of the dodo for a majority of Americans I believe, not that prejudice as a general concept doesn't still exist especially in certain regions of the country.

shoplifter

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

http://levijohnston.com/Blog/

Her name is Bristol. and she is HOT. I’ve been with girls before, but I think this is the one. what do you think?

god, I fucking hate math. Why do they make this shit so complicated. sorry for cussing but this is stupid. Why on earth would I ever need to know x and y and all that. I’m going to be a hockey player. I don’t need the quadratic equation tyvm. Bristol knows math though, thank good. She helps me with it. Hopefully I can just pass this class and get on with it.

honestly, I feel badly for the kid, he didn't deserve all of this media scrutiny.

edit: what the christ, someone made a parody site for him already? http://levijohnston.com/Blog/?page_id=5

reilo said:
Uhm, why is John McCain blurred out in that picture, but in the original he is in focus?

Because I edited it. McCain has faded out of focus during the week of the RNC, and instead the public discourse revolves around Sarah Palin's scandals. In the background, a forgotten McCain throws his hands up, recognizing the stupid decision he has made.

Gaborn

Tobor said:
I'm not calling anyone in particular a racist, but to deny the undertones are there is naive.

Realistically, a bad war and a bad economy means a change in power. There is almost no way to fight that inevitably, so if it doesn't happen, something else is going on.

Well, it could be that people perceive Obama's age as a problem, I'm not sure it is but you can't ignore that it might sway some people that are undecided's votes. You also have to figure between 35-40% on each side are already guaranteed to vote. Also Obama's got a large following among a variety of demographics, but some of his most vocal supporters are younger college age students who historically have been spotty in their turnout. If Obama gets a bump there it should be much easier for him, but that's not a guarantee, historically the youth vote promises to turn out and rarely does enough to offset the elderly vote (as an example).

That's of course ignoring all the events that haven't occurred yet that could swing the election one way or another. Obama should probably be considered the favorite today but it's by no means certain he'll win and there's still lots of times for events to affect both sides.

Tobor - No offense taken, I just like to try to keep the debate as much on the actual issues and leave largely irrelevant issues of skin color aside. I can't deny some portion of people will vote based on skin color but I can judge a candidate on their own merits and I wish that people would confine their projections to that for the most part.

Stoney - At the same time, with all that said I understand the fear in the black community that a politician won't be "allowed' to win because of his race. I think that it's understandable to be afraid of that, white America has certainly not done enough to earn the trust of blacks yet. There isn't, or shouldn't be much question that if Obama wins I'll be proud of the moment because it's a notable, historic and wonderful moment for the country as a whole.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gaborn said:
Well, it could be that people perceive Obama's age as a problem, I'm not sure it is but you can't ignore that it might sway some people that are undecided's votes. You also have to figure between 35-40% on each side are already guaranteed to vote. Also Obama's got a large following among a variety of demographics, but some of his most vocal supporters are younger college age students who historically have been spotty in their turnout. If Obama gets a bump there it should be much easier for him, but that's not a guarantee, historically the youth vote promises to turn out and rarely does enough to offset the elderly vote (as an example).

That's of course ignoring all the events that haven't occurred yet that could swing the election one way or another. Obama should probably be considered the favorite today but it's by no means certain he'll win and there's still lots of times for events to affect both sides.

Clinton was the same age as Obama when he ran for president.

John F Kennedy was even younger.

Carter was only 53.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom