• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: John Kelly's personal phone has been compromised for months

jbug617

Banned
White House officials believe that chief of staff John Kelly’s personal cell phone was compromised, potentially as long ago as December, according to three U.S. government officials.

The discovery raises concerns that hackers or foreign governments may have had access to data on Kelly’s phone while he was secretary of the Department of Homeland Security and after he joined the West Wing.

Tech support staff discovered the suspected breach after Kelly turned his phone in to White House tech support this summer complaining that it wasn’t working or updating software properly.

Kelly told the staffers the phone hadn’t been working properly for months, according to the officials.

White House aides prepared a one-page September memo summarizing the incident, which was circulated through the administration.

A White House official, speaking for the administration, said Kelly hadn’t used the personal phone often since joining the administration. This person said Kelly relied on his government-issued phone for most communications.

The official, who did not dispute any of POLITICO’s reporting on the timeline of events or the existence of the memo, said Kelly no longer had possession of the device but declined to say where the phone is now.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/john-kelly-cell-phone-compromised-243514

I'm sure it was not Russia

ascii42

A White House official, speaking for the administration, said Kelly hadn’t used the personal phone often since joining the administration. This person said Kelly relied on his government-issued phone for most communications.
One would hope.

Makonero

Lies. The whole admin lies, this is almost certainly a lie, how would he even know it wasn't working "for months" otherwise?

Vena

Kelly is unlikely to have used his personal phone for much. The fact that they attacked him directly, though, is important.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's not hacking if the President allows it.

* guy pointing at his own head.jpg *
In a good administration, this would lead to a thorough investigation of every single device used by and around the president and cabinet and Congress.

Kthulhu

It's not hacking if the President allows it.

* guy pointing at his own head.jpg *

reece.jpg

androvsky

Kelly is unlikely to have used his personal phone for much. The fact that they attacked him directly, though, is important.

Even if he was using his government phone for calls, if he had his compromised phone with him the likelihood that it was at the least tracking his movements and possibly acting as an open mic do present major problems.

Reminder that Trump is still using is personal unsecure Android phone
I thought they finally made him get rid of that in the late spring.

Lo-Volt

This is the low-key nightmare, right here: even if you assume good things of this administration’s behavior and dealings (I’ve got a gold lamé apartment building to sell ya then, sucker), the staffers and the royal family are off doing dumb shit that gets them compromised. Donald Jr. wants to slip away from his Secret Service retail? Snatch him and hold him for ransom or worse. Jared and Ivanka are using private servers? Hack them and bribe them or worse.

Gen. Kelly’s personal phone is compromised? Get ALL his shit and fuck this idiot up. Bank accounts. Passwords. Security questions. Trysts over text. These clowns let him use a compromised personal phone for months and didn’t break it under a stiletto heel?

I read this and said ho boy and goddamn at once.

Alucrid

Banned
This is the low-key nightmare, right here: even if you assume good things of this administration’s behavior and dealings (I’ve got a gold lamé apartment building to sell ya then, sucker), the staffers and the royal family are off doing dumb shit that gets them compromised. Donald Jr. wants to slip away from his Secret Service retail? Snatch him and hold him for ransom or worse. Jared and Ivanka are using private servers? Hack them and bribe them or worse.

Gen. Kelly’s personal phone is compromised? Get ALL his shit and fuck this idiot up. Bank accounts. Passwords. Security questions. Trysts over text. These clowns let him use a compromised personal phone for months and didn’t break it under a stiletto heel?

I read this and said ho boy and goddamn at once.

i mean they wouldn't want to look like hypocrites after latching on to someone destroying hillary's old phone with a hammer, right?

cbrun44

They are all fucking incompetent. Damn... even the ones you would hope have some common sense are simply dumb as shit. Constant shit show.

What a fucking idiot. At his level, with all the cyber warfare going on in the world the moment one of your electronic devices acts unusually (especially one connected to the internet and potentially with location services), it should be immediately checked out. This is just complete incompetence.

we cyber yet!! best. we is a cat6, which few people have ever heard of. call up kelly aha! wow the trump admin is trash

Az

If you are a high ranking official, wouldn’t a malfunctioning phone be an alert. I mean, the government can afford to replace it, I am sure

Top Bottom