• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Mondo's releasing the Clue soundtrack in early 2016.

eTZGWsj.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I stayed out of this round of Bat prints. Too much in such a short span of time.

Riptwo

Glad I went ahead and pre-ordered my BMD as well when I got tickets! This is for the special magazine the Alamo is releasing alongside the pint glass for Episode 7's release. Matt Taylor is the artist.
Between this, the pint glass, and my love of the Drafthouse theatres that I've been to, I'm once again super jealous of your geographical location. Haha.

hobart

Picked up my first Mondo prints today. Only discovered the website about 3 weeks ago and I've been waiting for something to sink my teeth into.

Really exciting stuff. Looking forward to future releases.

Rydeen

Reminder: Gallery 1988's annual Crazy4Cult show opens this Friday.

hH80lyq.jpg

Matt Chase
That's gorgeous, holy shit.

If one wanted to get work featured in this show next year, would you have to contact Gallery 1988, or do they contact the artists on a case by case basis?

Looking for some advice in regards to an issue I've had with my first print and how to avoid it for my future ones.

So I bought the Skinner Akira print (foil) from Bottleneck months ago when it was released. It sat for a week or so in its tube (other than me taking it out to look at it a couple of times). Being that I'm a student and my budget is limited I ended up framing it in a cheap frame from an art store. I figured if a time came where I had more money and I was unsatisfied with the frame I could simply transfer it into a better one.

Ok, so everything is fine initially. The poster is on the wall and it looks great. However a couple of months in I notice a black "splotch" in the top left of the corner. It's not particularly noticeable but it looks considerably darker and more "flat" than the rest of the poster. I initially write it off as a detail of the poster I didn't notice until then. However as time has gone on its gotten on my nerves and so I decided to remove the poster to check it out.

Well, for whatever reason that black spot was a point where the poster had actually adhered to the glass of the frame. So when I go to pull it out, it rips that section off of the print like the corners of old posters I used to scotch tape to my wall.

Anyways, I put it back in the frame and line it up just right and it isn't super noticeable so the print isn't ruined (at least to my standards at this point). That being said, I have a new poster I bought a couple weeks ago that was just delivered and I don't want the same thing to happen. How can I avoid this?

Looking for some advice in regards to an issue I've had with my first print and how to avoid it for my future ones.

So I bought the Skinner Akira print (foil) from Bottleneck months ago when it was released. It sat for a week or so in its tube (other than me taking it out to look at it a couple of times). Being that I'm a student and my budget is limited I ended up framing it in a cheap frame from an art store. I figured if a time came where I had more money and I was unsatisfied with the frame I could simply transfer it into a better one.

Ok, so everything is fine initially. The poster is on the wall and it looks great. However a couple of months in I notice a black "splotch" in the top left of the corner. It's not particularly noticeable but it looks considerably darker and more "flat" than the rest of the poster. I initially write it off as a detail of the poster I didn't notice until then. However as time has gone on its gotten on my nerves and so I decided to remove the poster to check it out.

Well, for whatever reason that black spot was a point where the poster had actually adhered to the glass of the frame. So when I go to pull it out, it rips that section off of the print like the corners of old posters I used to scotch tape to my wall.

Anyways, I put it back in the frame and line it up just right and it isn't super noticeable so the print isn't ruined (at least to my standards at this point). That being said, I have a new poster I bought a couple weeks ago that was just delivered and I don't want the same thing to happen. How can I avoid this?

Use mats or spacers so the poster doesn't directly touch the glass in the frame.

Use mats or spacers so the poster doesn't directly touch the glass in the frame.

Aha! That would do it, wouldn't it?

A follow up question for curiosities sake, did the print stick because of the cheaper "glass"? Or is it just a matter of inevitability where any print will stick to any glass if it comes in contact with it?

Velcoro

Picked up my first Mondo prints today. Only discovered the website about 3 weeks ago and I've been waiting for something to sink my teeth into.

Really exciting stuff. Looking forward to future releases.

Their last release for the Ken Taylor's Batman and Tyler Stout's The Goonies posters was a disaster because of those damn bots. It sold out in less than a minute. Hopefully they address this and add a captcha in the future.

I was able to snag this on Mondo a few months ago just received it.

img_15_m

Been thinking of using mylar sleeves for temporary storage before I frame the posters.

suplex

I got a Goonies without a bot. Although I'm sure some people use bots, it's more the fact there are thousands upon thousands of people going for a few hundred posters. Many of them who have been in this hobby a long time and know every little trick to get through checkout faster. You just aren't gonna win them all no matter how fast you are. A captcha won't change anything.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I got a Goonies without a bot. Although I'm sure some people use bots, it's more the fact there are thousands upon thousands of people going for a few hundred posters. Many of them who have been in this hobby a long time and know every little trick to get through checkout faster. You just aren't gonna win them all no matter how fast you are. A captcha won't change anything.
Thanks, Suplex. Somebody has to bring some rational thoughts to this whole bots thing. There are thousands of people going for hundreds of things. Odds are against you no matter what, and a captcha would end up frustrating and fucking you over more than helping you.

IronRinn

Aha! That would do it, wouldn't it?

A follow up question for curiosities sake, did the print stick because of the cheaper "glass"? Or is it just a matter of inevitability where any print will stick to any glass if it comes in contact with it?

Not sure the glass is necessarily the issue so much as the climate inside your house. We are just dealing with paper and ink, after all.

IronRinn

If one wanted to get work featured in this show next year, would you have to contact Gallery 1988, or do they contact the artists on a case by case basis?

That's an excellent question. Maybe one of the artist/gallery types in this thread will be able to answer it for you.

hobart

What was the deal with the Goonies drop? 750 were printed. Seems like a bigger release than others from what I can tell.

There is *nothing* that can be done to beat the bots. There will always be someone that will write a bot for a specific website. The sneaker community is PLAGUED with bots. The Mondo issue is NOTHING compared to what the sneaker heads have to come through.

IronRinn

What was the deal with the Goonies drop? 750 were printed. Seems like a bigger release than others from what I can tell.

There is *nothing* that can be done to beat the bots. There will always be someone that will write a bot for a specific website. The sneaker community is PLAGUED with bots. The Mondo issue is NOTHING compared to what the sneaker heads have to come through.

Oh there are bots for sure, but they're not buying all those prints.

The run is 750. It's a big run because Stout gets paid in prints he can sell himself, close to 40% of the run or something is what I've heard (obviously, this could be wrong). So despite the run size, there were far fewer being sold by Mondo.

Tyler always gets about half the run for his own sale, so there was probably only 300-350 that were actually for sale. And probably 5,000+ people trying for them at the same time. Bots exist but so do people.

Speaking of tstout he's got a pre-sale for a shirt design on his store: www.tstout.bigcartel.com

hobart

Ok that makes sense.

But a 300-350 run through Mondo seems like a regular drop to me.

Was the Goonies poster just that much more popular than this recent run of Batman TAS? The Batman prints didn't seem to last very long either.

Again... I'm a Mondo noob.

IronRinn

Ok that makes sense.

Was the Goonies poster just that much more popular than this recent run of Batman TAS? The Batman prints didn't seem to last very long either.

Tyler Stout + most anything = huge, huge hype with rare exception.

Velcoro

Thanks, Suplex. Somebody has to bring some rational thoughts to this whole bots thing. There are thousands of people going for hundreds of things. Odds are against you no matter what, and a captcha would end up frustrating and fucking you over more than helping you.

Captcha could make things more tedious in terms of checking out but it might cut down on the bots? Then again if you mess up the captcha you lose those precious seconds and miss out on the print so that would be wonderful. Idk just wish more of us could have a better chance but then again bots will always exist anyway. And there's thousands of us trying to order at one time but I've never seen it sell out that fast before but it's Tyler Stout so I get it. You win some and you lose some like suplex said.

Batman:TAS vinyl up on Mondo.

Picked this up. Can't wait to get my hands on it, it looks like an awesome box set. Pretty fast turnaround too, Late December. I'm used to pre-ordering vinyl months in advance.

Had that weird problem with my Visa again though. I'll have to give my bank a call because there aren't any problems with the card besides when I was buying the James Jean print and this. It's definitely not some sort of limit on the card either. Maybe they don't approve of my new hobby, heh.

Filthy Slug

Ok that makes sense.

Yeah, it was a huge drop due to the artist and the property. I think Mondo mentioned that it was the most traffic the new site had seen. Also, Stout himself gets like half the run, so not all 700+ are actually dropped.
Captcha could make things more tedious in terms of checking out but it might cut down on the bots? Then again if you mess up the captcha you lose those precious seconds and miss out on the print so that would be wonderful. Idk just wish more of us could have a better chance but then again bots will always exist anyway. And there's thousands of us trying to order at one time but I've never seen it sell out that fast before but it's Tyler Stout so I get it. You win some and you lose some like suplex said.
I understand what you're saying, and I definitely would love to have more of a shot at certain high-profile drops, I just don't think captcha is the answer. I have never seen a major gallery/artist use the captcha system, and I think that's for good reason. I think right now, without captcha, you have a chance at these absurd drops, just make sure you're on the page immediately and like you said, know that you can't succeed on any drop.

I just didn't want this great thread to devolve to what EB is in terms of the bot-talk, but it seems like we can totally have a solid conversation about them on here, which makes me happy!

hobart

Thanks for the info. All of this make sense.

What are some other bigger names (artists) in the scene? Properties are kind of a no-brainer.

Re: Bots - I just think its futile to discussing it. Really. They exist and there is nothing you can do about it. Either fight fire with fire... or be there the moment of the drop.

I'm telling you. It's not nearly as bad as some of these sneaker drops. When $200 sneakers are reselling for $800.... you better believe there is going to be hardcore competition for those kicks.

suplex

If there was no such thing as bots a Mondo Stout or Horkey release would still sell out in under a minute. If you know what you're doing and have a little luck in terms of pages loading quickly/properly you can get through checkout very fast, easily under a minute, even under 30 seconds.

I'm also a sneakerhead, and Nike has tried all sorts of things to stop bots, including captchas, and it doesn't work. At this point, they've basically resorted to raffling off their major sought after releases.

The Goonies is probably the first Mondo Stout drop I've been successful on, and I've been a poster nerd for quite a while now. When it comes to those type of drops, you should expect to lose most times.

Edit: forgot I managed to score the Stout Star Wars prints way back. Still, I've missed many more times.

Not sure the glass is necessarily the issue so much as the climate inside your house. We are just dealing with paper and ink, after all.

It's both. In this case probably also the foil. Which reminds me, I need to get my Slater Strange Attraction out of a temp frame and into a safer forever home.

SourBear

Banned
The botting is easy to fix. Just sell by lotto. Of course this pisses people off because 'I might have a chance with the current system, but if it is random I'll never get one' - even though by lotto probably gives you a better chance since bots cause sellouts within a second of sale.

Filthy Slug

The botting is easy to fix. Just sell by lotto. Of course this pisses people off because 'I might have a chance with the current system, but if it is random I'll never get one' - even though by lotto probably gives you a better chance since bots cause sellouts within a second of sale.

I can tell you definitively that lottos are the worst option there is.

ohkay

But then if there's a lotto, what's stopping people from entering multiple times? I think the thing to remember is that you don't need to have everything. You won't always be able to buy something on the drop and that's okay.

SourBear

Banned
But then if there's a lotto, what's stopping people from entering multiple times? I think the thing to remember is that you don't need to have everything. You won't always be able to buy something on the drop and that's okay.

The way Stout does lotto seems to work pretty well.

One entry per person, where person is defined as a Name with email with shipping address. If any of the above is entered multiple times you are culled.

ohkay

The way Stout does lotto seems to work pretty well.

One entry per person, where person is defined as a Name with email with shipping address. If any of the above is entered multiple times you are culled.
People get friends and relatives to sign up for them for a better chance, it's not that difficult. Also, most people have had terrible luck with Stout lottos. I've entered every time since Reservoir Dogs I think and have been chosen once. A lot of people are 0/forever

Velcoro

If there was no such thing as bots a Mondo Stout or Horkey release would still sell out in under a minute. If you know what you're doing and have a little luck in terms of pages loading quickly/properly you can get through checkout very fast, easily under a minute, even under 30 seconds.

I'm also a sneakerhead, and Nike has tried all sorts of things to stop bots, including captchas, and it doesn't work. At this point, they've basically resorted to raffling off their major sought after releases.

I actually used to be a massive sneakerhead in highschool (couldn't keep up with the hobby financially after a while) sold off almost 50 pairs. I can definitely see the similarities in both. The hype and the limited stock are bound to yield some losers no matter what.

I understand what you're saying, and I definitely would love to have more of a shot at certain high-profile drops, I just don't think captcha is the answer. I have never seen a major gallery/artist use the captcha system, and I think that's for good reason. I think right now, without captcha, you have a chance at these absurd drops, just make sure you're on the page immediately and like you said, know that you can't succeed on any drop.

I just didn't want this great thread to devolve to what EB is in terms of the bot-talk, but it seems like we can totally have a solid conversation about them on here, which makes me happy!

lol yeah no worries dude I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming all the bots I know these releases are insane. It seems like it depends on your luck more than anything. Refresh refresh and cross your fingers.

Top Bottom