• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Benny spouts more stuff on same sex marriage - "destroying essence of humanity"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Are you suggesting that by discussing this hateful position of the Catholic church, we may somehow end up promoting it?

I very much doubt that there exists a large, untapped population of gay haters who haven't figured out which hateful religious organization to belong to.

In this case, you are right. But I am only saying that for future use.

But the rest of my point stands: People are only going to get angrier at others, simply because they belong to that religion.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ah, I see.

What I mean, is that if you disagree with a point from someone, then why bring it up? You'll only anger people who do no agree with him or her (which was seen here only in the first posts of the thread), and you only give him or her more popularity (only see every Pachter thread of Gaming section).

Now, for the topics that work better when they're not talk about: I am not saying they should not be spoken of. Things like pedophilia should be exposed and resolved. I only meant in terms of popularity and giving attention to things you don't like, that get people angrier to others.
Stupid people always get angry if they find themselves in a discussion they have no hopes of winning. Not a reason to stop dragging them into them, though.

I love how the Church proclaims itself as our moral compass over and over again, but fail to actually be one.
I believe someone once said "he who is without sin cast the first stone." and "judge not, for thou will be judged." and my personal favorite "love thy neighbour".
Maybe the Pope should be a little less selective when it comes to quoting the bible.

Bo-Locks

I think they'll de-focus themselves in the next 20 years, have no idea about dogmatic change, but I think in practical terms it will settle to something like their stand on contraception right now sooner than you think.

I think in practical terms they will have to settle on something like their stance on the ordination of women (as far as I'm aware the Catholic Church refuses to recognise any female ordinations and is very proactive in silencing any dissenters, and this is over 100 years after the beginnings of women's suffrage).

They have no say in the matter of civil gay marriage, which will become a feature throughout Europe, some US states, and a handful of other countries throughout the coming years, but I can't see the Catholic Church "okaying", "supporting", let alone "performing" gay marriages for at least a century.

The pace at which the Catholic Church moves is glacial.

GCX

They have no say in the matter of civil gay marriage, which will become a feature throughout Europe, some US states, and a handful of other countries throughout the coming years, but I can't see the Catholic Church "okaying", "supporting", let alone "performing" gay marriages for at least a century.
It will be a long while before it's feature throughout Europe. Western Europe, sure, but the eastern parts are sadly still long ways from even thinking about the possibility of same sex marriage (and Russia for instance has been moving to the opposite direction lately).

mollipen

To be honest, I'm fine with the Pope saying things such as this. The more we have people taking a hard line about how homosexuality will be our downfall, and the more people see that gay marriage is changing little about their lives, the more statements such as those from the Pope will be ignored.

Bo-Locks

It will be a long while before it's feature throughout Europe. Western Europe, sure, but the eastern parts are sadly still long ways from even thinking about the possibility of same sex marriage (and Russia for instance has been moving to the opposite direction lately).

Your right, I should have said "some European states", just as I said "some US states".

Chichikov

I think in practical terms they will have to settle on something like their stance on the ordination of women (as far as I'm aware the Catholic Church refuses to recognise any female ordinations and is very proactive in silencing any dissenters, and this is over 100 years after the beginnings of women's suffrage).

The pace at which the Catholic Church moves is glacial.
I meant less from a doctrinal perspective and more from a practical standpoint.
Much like you don't see the Catholic church actively trying to ban contraception, at least not in the 1st world, I don't think you're going to see them going after gay rights for all that long.
At first it will be added to the giant list of sins which are legal in modern society, and I think eventually it will be accepted, but I can't begin to speculate about the timetable for that (and it's governed in no small parts by church politics, something I'm not really an expert on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom