• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis Asks Forgiveness For Catholic Church's Persecution Of Waldensians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lach

I also was only introduced to their history through Crusader Kings 2. But reading up on them (as well as Fraticelli and Cathar) was really intersting.

Holy fuck. Like how the fuck could you ever do that outside of being a George R.R. Martin villain?

They came first, GRRM came second. This is exactly the kind of shit, and worse, that used to happen throughout history, we're living very exceptional circumstances to not be experiencing this sort of shit.

Chariot

They came first, GRRM came second. This is exactly the kind of shit, and worse, that used to happen throughout history, we're living very exceptional circumstances to not be experiencing this sort of shit.
Yeah. I always cringe when people say that they would rather live in the past. No, you most certainly don't.

Amalthea

Banned
The middle ages weren't some glorious fantasy land. It was a fucked up mess. Modern historians do pull out this "the dark-ages weren't that dark"-thing lately but it still was pretty much hell on earth.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
why are you apologizing for your fail fuck ancestors

Because nobody ever did.
Atrocity in history shouldn't be swept under the rug - this is but one way to call attention to what religion once made Europeans do.

As an Italian, and as the grandchild of a Baptist-Waldesian pastor, i greatly, greatly appreciate this.

The middle ages weren't some glorious fantasy land. It was a fucked up mess. Modern historians do pull out this "the dark-ages weren't that dark"-thing lately but it still was pretty much hell on earth.

Large parts of the middle ages were actually a lot better than the early modern period. Historians arent making it up when they claim the dark ages werent as dark. We are just still suffering from the Renaissance idea that they were better than the period before because they found some Roman statues and shit. Oh and of course Gibbon with his whole 'after the fall of the roman empire everything was terrible'-attitude didnt help either.

Also, the Victorians loved to make stuff up about the middle ages. A lot of the so-called medieval torture devices were made up by the British.

Chariot

Or when they romanticise poverty and "simple living"; the charms of which vanish at the first sign of hardship.
Indeed.

As a "non-Christian" I highly object to the term "non-Christian" being used to describe what the catholic church has done.
Not-Orange can't complain that Not-Orange activities executed by Orange are called Non-Orange, because Not-Range is just everyone that isn't Orange, like Magenta and Teal. They could complain if Oranges activities were called magenta or teal. But not-ornage just mean that. Not-Orange without specification what else.

Amazing how the Waldensians managed to survive wave after wave of exterminations right in the papacy's backyard. Fucking guerilla ninjas, they were.

They're also super-progressive, openly supporting gay marriage and euthanasia in Italy, so that's cool as well.

choodi

Banned
If he's planning on apologising to every group that the Catholic Church has persecuted in its lifetime, we're going to be here for a very long time.

Purkake4

Banned
If he's planning on apologising to every group that the Catholic Church has persecuted in its lifetime, we're going to be here for a very long time.
Was just going to say this. It's a nice gesture, but this pretty much fills out the agendas of the next 3 popes at least.

Protip: maybe start from the present and go back from there?

choodi

Banned
Everyone seems enamoured with this pope.

To me he is just a PR figurehead who is running a positive media campaign to try to stave off irrelevance for his corrupt and evil coorporation.

Businesses do this all the time. Basically, sales are down, so let's get on the front foot with some positive media coverage.

You have to be very careful with historic reports or hearsay, see e.g. John of Leiden and the events surrounding Münster. Obviously I cannot comment on this particular case. That said, brutal slaughtering or torture was unfortunately not too uncommon and people proved extremely inventive when it came to that, see e.g. the torture/execution of Leiden after his capture or the sack of Magdeburg in 1631.

This.

The massacre is undeniable but the report's details sound too "fantastic" that is hard to believe such fashion was used rather than doing more simplistic kills. And I'm not even catholic. A lot of bizarre stuff we learned from Rome's history are also exaggerated.

That said, it's a very unfortunate and sad event and words won't do any justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom