• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the gaga oscar performance was good but like, anyone with pipes could have performed it, pretty much

so it was a good performance, but it wasn't a good gaga performance

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

4O71PJF.gif

Mau ®;156207196 said:
Good Kid, m.a.A.d city remains unbothered IMHO.

ibkG8Ma3Z7V4GF.gif

In other news, Nicki snatched Tinashe from Iggy's tour. LOL

CAQKHLLUIAAKlDV.png
Good for Tinashe
Is Nicki not gonna do any more singles for The Pinkprint? The Crying Game deserves a chance ;__;

iYVHBdNQdMUUJ.jpg

Janelle Monáe wants the world to know that Wondaland Records, the singer-songwriter-producer's new venture with Sony Music Entertainment's Epic Records, is not merely a record label—it's a movement.
Wondaland is "a joint dream in which a group of artists set out to swim towards a boat all together—and in some ways, I'm a lifeguard," says Monáe, 29, the Kansas City native who grabbed our attention in 2010 with her critically hailed debut, The ArchAndroid, and who would go on to become a face of Procter & Gamble's CoverGirl, alongside Katy Perry and Pink.
iBSkb5ONmFMT1.jpg

What inspired you to start the label now?
Monáe: In general, I was inspired to start Wondaland Records after seeing there was a big absence of female entrepreneurs in the music industry who understand how to develop and market innovative artists, artists who truly care about community and redefining the creative waters in the music industry.
What do you see as the greatest challenges marketing music today, and how are labels and artists working through those?
The Internet has changed everything, as we all know. From free downloading to album leaks to streaming to social media, the entire ecosystem and business model of music has undergone massive disruption and change. That said, folks are consuming and sharing and following more music than ever and we just have to find new ways to monetize that experience. We at Wondaland have faith that new business models can be built around streaming, touring, online chatter and commerce etc because people genuinely love and need new music in their lives. So we're pushing our artists to go back to the basics: say something innovative and universal with a wonderful melody, get your live performance caliber up to the status of your heroes and do it consistently, and you'll have nothing to worry about.
More at the link above.

cory64

Mau ®;156214816 said:
I refused to do so because Anaconda was so vilE.

But I was so bored yesterday doing data mining that i gave it a chance.

I don't regret it. The first half up until Only is really good IMO.

Get into her transcendent carpe diem anthem The Night Is Still Young

Prince Gets 'Too Funky' at Floor-Shaking Hit and Run Tour

The splits are gone and the high, spiky boots replaced with metallic wedges that flash red in the heels. And his lascivious moments are toned way down, limited to three derriere wiggles and, for a second, what looked to be a simulated wanking. But at the first of four Louisville shows kicking off his Hit and Run USA tour, Prince, 56, proved that neither age nor reported hip problems have dulled the seismic live performances that have helped define his decade-spanning career
ilJfieyFGtlgi.jpg

"Kentucky, let me tell you how this is gonna go," Prince, conservatively dressed in all black, said upon taking the stage. "Have you ever heard nine hits in a row?"
After a prolonged greeting that made the Palace Theatre's floor shake, Prince picked up his black, leopard-strapped Vox guitar and paced the stage, playing with such ease and abandon that the instrument seemed almost an appendage. "Leave the lights off," he instructed the crew. "This is too funky." Here are the night's five best moments:
1. The Reinvention of "Little Red Corvette"
Originally a glib pop song, "Little Red Corvette" became a sultry prelude to seduction, slowed down with only one thing in mind. Prince opened with a growl, jumped to a silky, Michael Jackson-tinged falsetto, screamed before launching into a bump-and-grind and followed it all with an achingly emotive guitar solo. "Can't nobody do it like Prince do," he crowed.
5. Prince Gets Emo
"Nothing Compares 2 U" and "Purple Rain" have lost none of their searing, soul-ripping power, mostly because Prince still lives their lyrics. On the former, he looked as if he might burst into tears, holding a hand over his heart and passionately trailing his fingers down his face. On the latter, the Jehovah's Witness assumed Christ-like poses, raising his arms as if ready for the crucifix. His lip curled and his face contorted in pain when his guitar wailed and pleaded. He frequently covered his eyes as if it were all too much.

Probably nothing. Thing is, Christina likely wouldn't try to sing it in faux-opera voice. She'd sing in her natural voice, which is what Gaga should have done.

The offensive thing about Gaga's performance was she attempted to sing it like Julie Andrews, only what she ended up actually doing was singing in this inconsistent, overly affected way that she couldn't sustain and kept falling in and out of throughout the performance. From a "this is how this would be performed in a Broadway setting" perspective, the performance was pretty bad. And usually pop stars don't get held to such a ridiculous standard when performing showtunes, but Gaga was clearly going for that.

Honestly I'm reading this and thinking that anyone could find something to complain about if they really dug deep. It was a lovely respectful performance and she had the balls to sing the medley in Julie's key which is difficult regardless of your technical proficiency. And Julie loved it, and so did everyone that wasn't you, Sondheim and general Debbie Downers. She couldn't do those songs justice singing in any of her affected "Gaga" tones, and it wouldn't have felt as special. She embodied the whimsy of Julie's voice and execution and I respect anyone for going for it the way she did.

royalan

Honestly I'm reading this and thinking that anyone could find something to complain about if they really dug deep. It was a lovely respectful performance and she had the balls to sing the medley in Julie's key which is difficult regardless of your technical proficiency. And Julie loved it, and so did everyone that wasn't you, Sondheim and general Debbie Downers. She couldn't do those songs justice singing in any of her affected "Gaga" tones, and it wouldn't have felt as special. She embodied the whimsy of Julie's voice and execution and I respect anyone for going for it the way she did.

But she didn't embody the "whimsy" of Julie's voice, that's the whole problem. She sang half of it in fake-opera voice, and the other half in her natural "Gaga" voice that you now claim is affected, too. It was mess to anybody who knows how these songs are usually performed, which is why she should have sang it how "Gaga" would have sang it. It would have been special then, not a cheap knock-off of Julie. She wouldn't have invited the comparison, then.

EDIT: This is what the song sounds like with someone who naturally carries that type of voice. Truly effortless, and not labored to the point that you're cutting off the ends of phrases: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33hvuob9AyQ

royalan

I kinda agree with Wendy in a sense. As much as I enjoyed MIAMTEC (surprisingly enjoyed it, actually), I don't want another Mariah album in the same vein as the last few we've gotten. I don't want more rappers with excessive features, no more Mariah singing about dudes being thirsty and Candy Bling and all that Forever 21 shit.

If she makes another album, I want something more reflective of where Mariah actually is at this point in her life.

From Beyoncé to Kendrick Lamar, artists are increasingly forgoing release dates for surprise album drops. Here's how calendars became irrelevant.
I can't think of September 11, 2001 without thinking of Jay Z. For reasons so obvious it's embarrassing to list them, history will remember that date for two crumbling towers, thousands of lives lost, and a world forever changed. But before the flames and the rubble, 09/11/01 was the release date of The Blueprint, Jay Z's sixth album, the one designed to have once and for all sealed his status as the self-proclaimed king of New York and, by cultural extension, the greatest rapper alive.

When Beyoncé dropped her self-titled album out of thin air and glitter that Thursday night two Decembers ago, it was immediately identifiable as a game-changer. It's not that others hadn't released albums with no warning or with unconventional release plans: Radiohead's 2011 record King of Limbs was dropped as a surprise; back in 2012, Frank Ocean put Channel Orange on iTunes a week earlier than it was expected; My Bloody Valentine released a surprise reunion album out of seemingly nowhere early in 2013; Death Grips did the same just a couple of weeks before Beyoncé.
But Beyoncé, whose career is an economy in itself, was a greater signifier of the shift that is afoot. In the year since BEYONCE, dropping an album with no release date has become known as "pulling a Beyoncé." Since her, others have done it: Skrillex, D'Angelo, Björk, and Drake, all mainstream artists in their own right, have released albums without first promoting a release date months or even weeks away. And more have said that they intend to do the same.
If a record could do numbers like Beyoncé's, which sold more than 800,000 in just three days, or Drake's, which sold 500,000 in its first week, then why even bother announcing a date months in advance?

icc6iLW0FSWB4.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
but BEYONCE influenced nobody!!!!!!!!!! and they call it pulling a U2 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I kinda agree with Wendy in a sense. As much as I enjoyed MIAMTEC (surprisingly enjoyed it, actually), I don't want another Mariah album in the same vein as the last few we've gotten. I don't want more rappers with excessive features, no more Mariah singing about dudes being thirsty and Candy Bling and all that Forever 21 shit.

If she makes another album, I want something more reflective of where Mariah actually is at this point in her life.

I agree. Mariah shouldn't be trying to be catching up with the younger artists when she could be doing her own thing and still having her playful touch. Also she has a huge repertoire and live of it if she wanted to just work with that. Also no shade but since her vocals are not the same maybe try working with what she can actually do instead of doing stuff on the album she wont be able to replicate as well live. I love Mimi but she needs to know better.

royalan

but BEYONCE influenced nobody!!!!!!!!!! and they call it pulling a U2 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiiiii that Beyonce's impact can only be detected in an album release gimmick she pulled almost 2 decades into her career.

---

Anyway, I don't necessarily think this is the end of the traditional album release strategy, but I think people will start being smarter about their promo. Because one thing is true, the world has moved on past months-long promo lead-ups to album releases. Nobody wants to sit on a lead single only for the album to drop with the second (or third) single months later. There's too much competition, the world moves too fast, and attention spans are too short for that to be a viable strategy anymore.

Artists should stop putting out singles until they're ready to drop the album.

Floridian

Nowadays there are so many albums that are either leaking earlier than expected or coming out on itunes out of nowhere. It's totally unpredictable, but in a way i'm okay with it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Kiiiii that Beyonce's impact can only be detected in an album release gimmick she pulled almost 2 decades into her career.

on the CONTRARY, the fact that 'CHANGED THE WAY MUSICIANS RELEASE MUSIC' will be a mere FOOTNOTE to beyonce's lifetime achievements is the TRUE kiii here

The Flop

Banned
Why do I constantly find myself running back to "Elastic Heart" by Sia (SOLO version) I use so much. It gives me so much life.

world-without-internet-gifs-running.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom