• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Tell Me was such a memorable collab. Still sounds good today.
Decent, but she was outshined by:

https://youtu.be/vmUfZjuqr2w
https://youtu.be/q3yHhiqQaEU

Infinitely more usable.

At this point I think she is physically unable to just sing a fucking song. Like... is all that shit necessary?
I swear, if I hear one more "oh yeah, yeah, yeah, hee"

That's like her go-to run for everything she does these days.

aTN14Z6.gif

royalan

I swear, if I hear one more "oh yeah, yeah, yeah, hee"

That's like her go-to run for everything she does these days.

aTN14Z6.gif

How dare you have the audacity to critique anyone's vocals and then use a Mariah gif as a highlight to your point, seeing as her vocals these days are more reminiscent of the echo a power bottom's ass makes while it's ejecting the creamy white remnants of a Saturday night at the bathhouse into a toilet?

What is your fave's go-to runs these days? This?

v35xYx7.gif

Remaining seats are available at the back of the venue.

Again, it's a BB King tribute. You know his music, right?

Do you?

He was a "shouting, growling mess" too by the standards y'all are applying to Xtina.
You sure about that? If you think that minstrelsy is close to the restrained and tasteful vocals of the original... you've got issues. Christina singin voice is edging ever closer to sounding like any adult in a Charlie Brown cartoon these days.

royalan

Do you?

You sure about that? If you think that minstrelsy is close to the restrained and tasteful vocals of the original... you've got issues. Christina singin voice is edging ever closer to sounding like any adult in a Charlie Brown cartoon these days.

Yes, I am very aware of BB King's music. And he spends the majority of the catalogue doing the same shouting/growling that people scream "OVERSINGING!" when Xtina does it.

How dare you have the audacity to critique anyone's vocals and then use a Mariah gif as a highlight to your point, seeing as her vocals these days are more reminiscent of the echo a power bottom's ass makes while it's eschewing the creamy white remnants of a Saturday night at the bathhouse into a toilet?

You know what.

tumblr_n823oj4rML1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

3phemeral

How dare you have the audacity to critique anyone's vocals and then use a Mariah gif as a highlight to your point, seeing as her vocals these days are more reminiscent of the echo a power bottom's ass makes while it's ejecting the creamy white remnants of a Saturday night at the bathhouse into a toilet?

v35xYx7.gif

It seems I struck a nerve.

CNNReporter2small.gif

Yes, I am very aware of BB King's music. And he spends the majority of the catalogue doing the same shouting/growling that people scream "OVERSINGING!" when Xtina does it.

Maybe it goes back to old argument of AUTHENTICITY. Christina sounds like she's faking the funk. Guess that's what you're into.

Touchdown

Banned

v35xYx7.gif

First of all...
5f0f5b07df.gif

Mumei

Perhaps Christina is criticized for those elements in her vocals because she is not doing them for stylistic effect, but because she is incapable of doing anything else. If you listen to this vocal range video for someone like James Brown, just for example, there's a wide range where he is capable of hitting the notes cleanly - belting up to F5 and head voice up to B5 - but he often screams, shrieks, growls, or strains for effect.

I don't know that this makes her inauthentic, but I do think there's a difference between doing something wrong because you want to get that particular sound, and doing it wrong because you can't do it right.

Maybe it goes back to old argument of AUTHENTICITY. Christina sounds like she's faking the funk. Guess that's what you're into.

This seems really arbitrary though. How would you even measure that? I guess you can say you don't feel like Christina's truly emoting the feelings of the songs in her vocals, but that's subjective at most.

royalan

Perhaps Christina is criticized for those elements in her vocals because she is not doing them for stylistic effect, but because she is incapable of doing anything else. If you listen to this vocal range video for someone like James Brown, just for example, there's a wide range where he is capable of hitting the notes cleanly - belting up to F5 and head voice up to B5 - but he often screams, shrieks, growls, or strains for effect.

I don't know that this makes her inauthentic, but I do think there's a difference between doing something wrong because you want to get that particular sound, and doing it wrong because you can't do it right.

Not my posts heralding Mumei's return to PopGAF. My ImpacT.

Hmmm, you're so concerned about Authenticity, yet you have nothing to say when you're Houston Suburb fave tries to act like a 'round-the-way girl?

I don't know why you wouldn't assume that the opposite wouldn't true for Bey. We have clip after clip of Beyonce in the early DC days acting like a banji ghetto mess. I think that as Beyonce has aged, she has learned how to keep that side of herself to herself, while she's up there trying to get this pop money. I know that while I'm at work interfacing with the powers that be, that I don't bring street vernacular into the workplace. I thought this was common among black people, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that.

Not every popstar gets the benefit of doubt that say, a Miley Cyrus gets. Miley can invent twerking one day and open a youth hostel for troubled gays the next and no one blinks an eye. Some girls get to "express themselves" without it defining their career. Others get to make one
titty
slip, and then have to fade to obscurity for a decade before the country "forgives" them and they can start building that comeback buzz.

Beyonce not conforming to type, and you having a problem with it is more your problem than it is hers. You should examine why you clock Beyonce for things you embrace in other "stars."

Off the top I can think of a few inconsistencies in your criticisms of Beyonce:
  • Sings in a fake soulful voice, stans Christina Aguilera.
  • Is fake ghetto, stans or has stanned Iggy and Miley.
  • Is "bad" for/to/representation of the black community, stans every ghetto soundcloud heffa rapping about her pussy.
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them. Are some of your criticisms valid? Doubt it, but its hard to tell when you
and now Cory64
complain about everything she does.

royalan

I don't know why you wouldn't assume that the opposite wouldn't true for Bey. We have clip after clip of Beyonce in the early DC days acting like a banji ghetto mess. I think that as Beyonce has aged, she has learned how to keep that side of herself to herself, while she's up there trying to get this pop money. I know that while I'm at work interfacing with the powers that be, that I don't bring street vernacular into the workplace. I thought this was common among black people, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that.

Not every popstar gets the benefit of doubt that say, a Miley Cyrus gets. Miley can invent twerking one day and open a youth hostel for troubled gays the next and no one blinks an eye. Some girls get to "express themselves" without it defining their career. Others get to make one
titty
slip, and then have to fade to obscurity for a decade before the country "forgives" them and they can start building that comeback buzz.

Beyonce not conforming to type, and you having a problem with it is more your problem than it is hers. You should examine why you clock Beyonce for things you embrace in other "stars."

Off the top I can think of a few inconsistencies in your criticisms of Beyonce:
  • Sings in a fake soulful voice, stans Christina Aguilera.
  • Is fake ghetto, stans or has stanned Iggy and Miley.
  • Is "bad" for/to/representation of the black community, stans every ghetto soundcloud heffa rapping about her pussy.
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them. Are some of your criticisms valid? Doubt it, but its hard to tell when you
and now Cory64
complain about everything she does.

Correction: We have footage of a DC era Beyonce acting like a spoiled brat who possessed no greater than a 3rd grade reading level. That's not the same as acting hood. You're getting offensive, sis.

tumblr_noluqropjL1sx607oo1_250.gif

Gather her, Mumei.

Correction: We have footage of a DC era Beyonce acting like a spoiled brat who possessed no greater than a 3rd grade reading level. That's not the same as acting hood. You're getting offensive, sis.
tumblr_noluqropjL1sx607oo2_250.gif

I guess, if that's all you've got, it will have to do. Goodnight Roy.

royalan

tumblr_noluqropjL1sx607oo2_250.gif

I guess, if that's all you've got, it will have to do. Goodnight Roy.

It's not all I got, but do you have a response? You're equating Beyonce acting less than intelligent as her being "hood", which could really be offensive to a lot of people. I'm more talking about her throwing up signs like she's lived a life she really knows nothing about.

It's not all I got, but do you have a response? You're equating Beyonce acting less than intelligent as her being "hood", which could really be offensive to a lot of people.
Why would I have a response to this obfuscating bait? You tried it though.
H3sfDYu.gif

I'm more talking about her throwing up signs like she's lived a life she really knows nothing about.

And you've never cheered for a person with the same perceived background doing the same thing? Never? Ever?
g4M8q05.gif

Gangsters don’t cry
Therefore, therefore I’m
Mr. Misty-eye, therefore I’m

Can you save
Can you save my
Can you save my heavy dirty soul?
Can you save
Can you save my
For me, for me, oh
For me, for me, oh

a good song from Twenty One Pilots, but god damn most of the lyrics in their new album make me roll my eyes so damn hard.

this is me listening to Blurryface:
g4M8q05.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Big Weekend is this weekend
iUk4nRQ.png

6JZGAoP.png

Can catch up on all the sets here or watch live here
Rita Ora and Taylor are on soon
Watching Charli's set right now, hope she goes in when she does fancy

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
the remix is the only version that got air play in the UK
it is indeed a slay

Matt_

YASSSS FANCY GO IN CHARLI
starts at 24 mins ish

royalan

Fast and The Furious
50 Shades
The Voice UK
Empire

Meanwhile your fave is only a warming her chair on whatever singing show she is. (Gwen is better judge btw)

And isn't that sad? That she's done all this and people STILL don't know who she is or care? The utter lack of presence and memorable talent. Your fave will only ever be a pop community joke. But I suspect you know this and this is exactly why you stan her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom