• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-11| A Dramatic Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
A common occurrence when you take Royalan's opinions too seriously.

I've only listened up to LA Hallucinations but it's all very pristine and bubbly, typically not my taste but a lot of songs are catchy as hell. My reservation is that she uses similar chords and song structures so the tracks feel both equally good and equally forgettable. Also her voice is such a non-presence that she really does rely on her productions' charm to elevate everything else. Feels like she's on the exact same key throughout, lol.

Looking back I think my faves were Gimmie Love and LA Hallucinations

rhandino

Banned
Have we so thoroughly forgotten about instagram starlet Robyn Fenty?
7hmv7tK.gif

What a thrill
With darkness and silence through the night
What a thrill
I'm searching and I'll melt into you
What a fear in my heart
But you're so supreme!

tumblr_ndx0ibYA9P1tzwr8yo1_500.gif

I give my life
Not for honor, but for you (Snake Eater)
In my time there'll be no one else
Crime, it's the way I fly to you (Snake Eater)
I'm still in a dream, Snake Eater

tumblr_ndx0ibYA9P1tzwr8yo1_500.gif

rhandino

Banned
Harry has always been One Direction’s most popular member and it’s obvious that we want to secure him -- he’s a global superstar [...] Zayn will get to release an album first, as he left the band earlier, but the most excitement is about what Harry is going to do. Everyone wants to know what his solo material will sound like, there’s also a lot of pressure to get it right.

uzOWLRM.gif

Touchdown

Banned
One Direction I believe was popular more because of the sum of their parts than the parts themselves. Not one of them is particularly captivating on stage and their vocals....same. But all of them on stage together brought an energy that none of them possess individually. I predict none of them will have successful solo careers; Looking forward to their inevitable reunion tour however.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Harry and Zayn will certainly make a splash
Harry beause he has always been the biggest member of the group, and has more love than any of them across the board. I have friends that are adamant that they hate everything about 1d yet have turned around and said that Harry seems like a cool guy that they'd hang with. idgi myself but I've never understood the straights and their tastes

Zayn will obviously make news being the first to leave, but he needs to capitalise on that quick before the others overtake him with their own solo stuff. Given that their split was announced so far in advance it would surprise me if at least one (meaning harry) didnt have something solo out by next christmas. Not only that but zayn is the hottest one so he'll get attention for that. (and the most talented? I think anyway)

Niall will fade into irrelevance, Louis will do a run of panel shows, have a baby and become a youtuber then come out and Liam will probably settle down and get fat.

royalan

One Direction I believe was more popular more because of the sum of their parts than the parts themselves. Not one of them is particularly captivating on stage and their vocals....same. But all of them on stage together brought an energy that none of them possess individually. I predict none of them will have successful solo careers; Looking forward to their inevitable reunion tour however.

Agreed. JT was successful solo because he always had that star power, AND he was in on the production side of things. That allowed him to put out a debut album that was not only great, but sounded unique.

None of the 1D guys are really all that talented on their own, and their looks are going.

I don't see any of them being successful.

Can you be "pressed" by something that has the impact of a small fly?

As if impact only refers to sales. Christ Rae Jepsen's album might not have done huge numbers opening week, but it clearly has some sort of impact in the music world if people are claiming it to be the best pop album of the year. You can dismiss all the review sites and links we have to throw at you, but the fact is, people love the album.

iamamiwhoami has an extremely small fanbase, but her reach and relevancy far outweighs her numbers in records sold. Actually, most of the pop records I'm here for this year haven't done huge numbers. What they lack in quantity of sales they make up for in the quality of the album.

It's cute tho, a Gaga fan trying it.

giphy.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
talking of the VMAs and xposting from the other thread

SO apparently, drag queens are opening the VMAs on sunday?

the list
Melissa, Violet Chachki, Miss Fame, Willam, Shangela, Porkchop, Tammie Brown, Jessica Wild, Pandora Boxx, Mariah Balenciaga, Delta Work, Jiggly Caliente, Vivienne Pinay, Alexis Mateo, Sonique, and Alyssa Edwards.

get that work I guess?
how far the vmas have fallen, even I don't know some of these queens

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
As if impact only refers to sales. Christ Rae Jepsen's album might not have done huge numbers opening week, but it clearly has some sort of impact in the music world if people are claiming it to be the best pop album of the year. You can dismiss all the review sites and links we have to throw at you, but the fact is, people love the album.

iamamiwhoami has an extremely small fanbase, but her reach and relevancy far outweighs her numbers in records sold. Actually, most of the pop records I'm here for this year haven't done huge numbers. What they lack in quantity of sales they make up for in the quality of the album.

It's cute tho, a Gaga fan trying it.

giphy.gif

Ugh, I still remember your flawless thread which partially led to iamamiwhoami becoming a fave of mine. Blue is my favorite album of 2014, I still use it on the reg.

Not too much on Gaga though, I'm still confident she'll make a comeback... as long as she has no hand in the creative musically this time. We saw what happened with ARTPOP when she had too much control............ A damn mess.

Harry is both charming and gross. Something like less ugly Mick Jagger.

LMAO right? Zayn was the only good looking one from that ugly group
M4oe5vt.gif

btw what happened to your duck with a cig avatar? The claymation dog is cute (Wallace and Grommit I'm guessing?) but the duck was iconic

Mau ®

Thats clearly Justin Beiber on the left. His new single is out 3 days before the VMA's.

The other one is Garbaj. Probably MTV's way of giving her a bone to chew after her meltdown. Childish piece of trash.

Meowster

King Bieber will do great at the VMAs but I'm not looking forward to Führaj. Anyways, Miley is hopefully gonna save us from this huge mess. Her BANGERZ tour was kinda better than every female tour of 2014 so I have high expectations for her to not let this sinking ship drown without a fight.

rhandino

Banned
It's Hitlord going to attend? I mean, at least I could get a kii or two at her making fake smiles and hugs with Minaj while Katheryn remains unbothered, I guess..

BKkQdaF.gif

Meowster

The lack of stars at the VMAs this year though... yikes. I'm expecting a whole crowd of Charlie Puth's, Meghan Trainor's, and Shawn Mendes's. Sigh. This is what has happened to the industry since GaGa self-destructed. I blame Adele.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The lack of stars at the VMAs this year though... yikes. I'm expecting a whole crowd of Charlie Puth's, Meghan Trainor's, and Shawn Mendes's. Sigh. This is what has happened to the industry since GaGa self-destructed. I blame Adele.

Throw in a few youtubers and it could be youtube awards.

Meowster

I've been so ready to declare EMOTION as album of the year but then I forgot that Vulnicura was a 2015 release this year too sooooooooo sorry Carly. Black Lake, Stonemilker, and History of Touches are kinda the best songs released this year.

I've been so ready to declare EMOTION as album of the year but then I forgot that Vulnicura was a 2015 release this year too sooooooooo sorry Carly. Black Lake, Stonemilker, and History of Touches are kinda the best songs released this year.

E•MO•TION, Vulnicura, Ten Love Songs, Rebel Heart, Ratchet...

Such a good year.

Matt_

VMAs typically suck without the big hitters (Beyonce, Gaga, Britney, Rihanna, etc.)

Like... where are the superstars?

missing, like they are from the charts
look at the top 40 on itunes, the only two major artists are Drake and 1D
extend it to the top 100 and you can add Taylor and I guess Maroon 5 (gross but they are probably one of the biggest bands out there right now)

The state of popular music right now is trash. The big hitters have taken a leave of absence and as a result no names have stormed the premises and mid level artists have been falsely paraded around as "it girls" ad the next biggest thing, when in reality they are glorified place holders.

Next year cannot come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom