• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

Let me know if Can't Let Go is a new song or truly a cover
jonny_zpsfdda5d96.png

edit: Nvmd Leona was right, as per
jonny_zpsfdda5d96.png

New song.

jonny_zpsfdda5d96.png

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
But the streams would count too, right?

Yes but given the event status this release has I guess they would rather take the increase in sales from people needing this album and having to buy it rather than stream over the increase in points it would get from having it on sites like spotify or apple music

I doubt she really cares about the record and her label obviously just want the extra dollar

People will stamp their feet and say that it will just drive people to piracy, but given that HDD have just predicted it to sell 500k+ a day for its opening week I'm sure Adele remains unbothered

Nile Rogers on working with Lady Gaga (source: Source: http://gagadaily.com/story/news/nile-rodgers-talks-lady-gaga/):

Famed disco guitarist and producer Nile Rodgers shares his experience of working with Lady Gaga on new songs for her upcoming album, due out next year.

"She's the greatest, I love her," he told Time Out. "How can you not love someone who sings her ass off, comes to the studio looking like a million dollars but will stay there all night if you want. And just let you change a song, rewrite it and let you do all sorts of stuff, and she's cool with it. She'll experiment, she's a real musician – she’s what every composer and producer wants to work with."

And some RedOne commentary on LG5:

Lady Gaga's next studio album is set for a 2016 release. Besides Rodgers, RedOne is another producer confirmed for the project.

"With Gaga, I'm fully committed until we're done – we're just going to work on writing songs until we get hopefully the best album of the decade," RedOne said. "The new material feels great. And that's what it is like with me and her – when we both feel great, it's incredible. A lot of it is to do with trust, no ego, just love for the music. And when it's fun and respectful, putting the egos aside, it's magic."

Queen of industry compliments <3

I have no idea what she's planning for LG5 but I'm glad to see she has her game face on. RedOne, Nile Rogers and Giorgio Moroder are confirmed collaborators so far. DiscoGa incoming?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I won't lie I'm not super into that disco/funk sound and if she does go that way I think she'll be a bit lttp BUT I loved the cover she did

I need this Adele album but I only use Spotify and it ain't on there... Gonna wait then !!!!

Also SLAY QWEEN at Gaga for the compliments! Bets on LG5 being album of the decade?

Matt_

Imagine if she outsells britneys record with her second week
with black friday on ha side anything is possible tbh

edit; Anyone want to give me a pop history lesson as to why the NSYNC album was so big anyway?

Touchdown

Banned

edit; Anyone want to give me a pop history lesson as to why the NSYNC album was so big anyway?

teen girls thirsty for justin timberlake. NSYNC videos were events when they premiered on TRL. There was no youtube at the time. No streaming. Just pure album sales and music videos on TRL. There was no Bieber at the time. You had Backstreet Boys vs. NSYNC. NSYNC could dance and all their songs were catchy. Backstreet Boys were all able to sing and had Nick Carter.

Matt_

oic
Bye bye bye is a bop but backstreets back >>> tbh

oic
Bye bye bye is a bop but backstreets back >>> tbh

I use both. On any given day I could say one is better than the other, but I could never put one over the other. This is INCLUDING the videos.

What a time to be alive during that era. I was on that "real music" kick (despite growing up with hip-hop and alt rock lololol) and my teenage self was disgusted by boy bands, but I couldn't deny the power those songs had.

Backstreet Boys were so gross. Larger Than Life and Backstreet's Back were usable but otherwise... basura

N'SYNC at least had a trademark sound that I could immediately recognize.

Phreaker

Yeah, N*SYNC was already really popular and Bye Bye Bye (lead single) was out on Jan 11 (was a smash) with the album out on March 21. There was no iTunes and I guess music piracy online was not what it is today so they sold a shit ton of CDs the first week.

Yeah these days for any album to get anywhere near 1 million first week, let alone 2+ is at the literal zeitgeist of pop culture. Considering piracy and more obviously streaming it's really fucking rare.

Everyone's saying Britney holds second place for 1st week sales but Wikipedia's showing something different (granted this list is US only):

1 2000 No Strings Attached *NSYNC 2,415,859
2 2001 Celebrity *NSYNC 1,879,955
3 2000 The Marshall Mathers LP Eminem 1,760,049
4 2000 Black & Blue Backstreet Boys 1,591,191
5 2000 Oops!... I Did It Again Britney Spears 1,319,193
6 2014 1989 Taylor Swift 1,287,000
7 2012 Red Taylor Swift 1,208,000
8 2005 The Massacre 50 Cent 1,140,638
9 1999 Millennium Backstreet Boys 1,133,505
10 2011 Born This Way Lady Gaga 1,108,000

Assuming this is correct, funny that the top 5 released between 2000 and 2001. lol

Not my fave getting kicked out of the top 10 either way though. RIP

Matt_

Second place solo I'm assuming
And I noticed that when I was looking earlier, RIP
poor gaga

Matt_

Adele has just absolutely DESTROYED me tonight performing @ the BBC
Hello and RITD were a little bit shaky but every other song was sheer perfection

Her outfit looked like it was cut from an old ladys sofa tho

cory64

2000 was also the height of Napster and piracy, which makes those numbers even more impressive.

Piracy peaked around 2005 actually. iTunes having individual track downloads caused the bulk of the album sales drop from then until downloads peaked in 2011-12 and streaming started gaining popularity.

Partition

Banned
2000 was also the height of Napster and piracy, which makes those numbers even more impressive.

uh, just because napster was around doesn't mean it was the "height" of piracy. I'm pretty sure the amount of albums that are torrented and downloaded illegally now vastly outweigh the people pirating music in 2000.

Floridian

Adele is coming close to breaking Utada's WW sales with her U.S sales alone. I don't understand how one can be so powerful in this current day & age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom