• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What are you willing to do?
Oh, tell me what you’re willing to do?
Kiss it, kiss it better, baby
What are you willing to do?
Oh, tell me what you’re willing to do?
Kiss it, kiss it better, baby

e1bed4d8fa.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
And you were right, there's a free option.

omg at her giving this away free
I ran to some shady sites when I opened this thread and it was all for nought. Bless rih and samsung

the fucking struggle right now, on my mums laptop and I have no idea how to use any mediaplayer that isnt itunes or vlc

edit; kiss it better is pretty good
wiki is saying no credit for natalia either :rip

Vazra

omg at her giving this away free
I ran to some shady sites when I opened this thread and it was all for nought. Bless rih and samsung

the fucking struggle right now, on my mums laptop and I have no idea how to use any mediaplayer that isnt itunes or vlc

edit; kiss it better is pretty good
wiki is saying no credit for natalia either :rip
Lol I'll wait for her meltdown.

Frodo

BBHMM dying for all your sins

Halfway through ANTi and the discarded single still the best song, tbh
That being said, I kind of like ANTi? It will be a slow burner for sure, but I'm sure I'll use it at some point in time. Riri going for that Real Artistry™ kind of acclaim for sure. Happy for ha.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
whens the deluxe I need A Night or whatever its called now

Matt_

Anti just kinda fizzles out
After Same Old Mistakes all the songs are boring

and the struggle on higher :rip

Good Night Gotham. I'll change it to A Night on iTunes lol

let us hope for brilliance because if she does florence wrong I shall be pissed

Vazra

Anti just kinda fizzles out
After Same Old Mistakes all the songs are boring

and the struggle on higher :rip

let us hope for brilliance because if she does florence wrong I shall be pissed
You calling LOTB boring tho? The rest I may agree.

Matt_

You calling LOTB boring tho? The rest I may agree.

Yes.
It strange, I don't really like the album but I can tell its her best? Certainly miles better than Unapologetic and Talk that Talk.

The favourite three (and really the only three tracks I use) are Needed Me, Desperado and Same Ol' Mistakes. Kiss it better is aight but the rest of the album I don't have a use for.

But to paraphrase Lily Allen, this album aint for me so I'll move on

3phemeral

Trying to listen to Higher and...I'm here for sanging Rih but this ain't the way to do it. Thank the stars it's only 2 minutes.

Her voice is perfectly serviceable on songs like Close to You and Love On the Brain.

Frodo

Isn't Higher meant to sound like she is drunk?

That is what I got from it. I mean, she started with something about whiskey making her looking pretty (which she doesn't need to, she is pretty already).

Mau ®

Isn't Higher meant to sound like she is drunk?

That is what I got from it. I mean, she started with something about whiskey making her looking pretty (which she doesn't need to, she is pretty already).

Basically. Clearly she was going for that delivery. I'm surprised people are having trouble figuring it out and are recommending auto tune, as if the producers wouldn't have easily applied a layer if needed lol

Touchdown

Banned
Mau ®;193539924 said:
Basically. Clearly she was going for that delivery. I'm surprised people are having trouble figuring it out and are recommending auto tune, as if the producers wouldn't have easily applied a layer if needed lol

Sis what do you make of this Tidal mess
johnny_zpsu15vkcal.gif~original

Mau ®

Sis what do you make of this Tidal mess
johnny_zpsu15vkcal.gif~original

I think she/they are gonna treat the project as a pseudo-mixtape and move on with another album later in the year or next year. The release is very anti-climatic.

Anyway I'm not sure if this is a the album I wanted. Many of ya'll call this experimental but I don't feel that way, I feel there's even a lack of experimentation going on a lot of songs, save for a few. That said I'll probably fuck with "Love on the brain" for a long time, and will find use for Kiss It Better.

I'll listen to it some more but the first impression was just solid

MrV4ltor

Desperado, Never Ending, Yeah, I Said It and Kiss It Better kinda slay tbh. Close To You and Love On The Brain are also decent. Higher, Same Ol' Mistakes and Woo are a mess. Think most of the stuff will actually grow on me after listening more often, but I don't really see that much single material in there that could smash on radio tbh.

Eagerly waiting for the Apple Music release... I refuse to listen on TIDAL so I guess I'm just gonna keep waiting...

A bit sad though that people are disssapointed with this album

Yado

Eagerly waiting for the Apple Music release... I refuse to listen on TIDAL so I guess I'm just gonna keep waiting...

A bit sad though that people are disssapointed with this album

You could have downloaded it from tidal. I don't think many people are listening on there.

cory64

Yaaaas Niece!
Considerslaytion
James Joynt
��It Better
Needed Me
Legend On The Brain
Yeah, I Slayed It

Werq
Desperado
Werq
Same Ol Mistakes
Higher
Close To You

Okay, Okay
Woo

You Tried.
Never Ending

I need to give it another listen today but my first impression was similar to listening to BEYONCÉ. Raw, honest, musically mature, and makes her older work seem archaic and inauthentic in comparison.

3phemeral

I still think Beyonce has a significant edge over Anti. Anti is a good effort, though, considering the source, but it's not without its missteps.

I need to give it another listen today but my first impression was similar to listening to BEYONCÉ. Raw, honest, musically mature, and makes her older work seem archaic and inauthentic in comparison.
Yeah, but Beyonce didn't have to abandon her entire pop foundation to gain some authenticity. Blow, Partition, Flawless, etc. are fucking bops.

Rihanna delivered not a single bop in her quest for "maturity" and ends up looking less authentic as a result. No one's going to flock to her tour to hear these new tracks because they're boring as shit, whereas Rihanna herself is anything but.

royalan

Yeah, but Beyonce didn't have to abandon her entire pop foundation to gain some authenticity. Blow, Partition, Flawless, etc. are fucking bops.

Rihanna delivered not a single bop in her quest for "maturity" and ends up looking less authentic as a result. No one's going to flock to her tour to hear these new tracks because they're boring as shit, whereas Rihanna herself is anything but.

I agree.

Matt_

Beyoncé is on another plain of existence compared to Anti
Nothing comes close to the brilliance of Partition, Haunted and flawless

edit; from the NYtimes review

That all these songs exist side by side reaffirm that Rihanna is our least aesthetically consistent — least aesthetically committed? — major pop star. At this stage of her career, music may be the least essential brick in her house. And as Rihanna has made clear time and again, not only is the sum greater than the parts, but the sum might also have nothing to do with the parts whatsoever.

True, nothing on the album stands out as a diamond in the rough but the album flows really really well and the music feels more significant. Honestly Rihanna can afford to take a musical tangent and do something different for once, she's been doing the same pussy-popping dance-floor stuff since she started.

Again, a pop star who bites the hand that feeds her and does something honest and real gets my love. This album isn't why we like Rihanna but it makes us see her in a more complex light than just "bop maker," and that makes me like her more.

Fuuuuuuck, I love Higher though. She's so fucked up in it lol

Rihanna
Beyoncé
Lady Gaga
Britney Spears
Lorde
Katy Perry
Christina Aguilera

One album down. Hew's gonna deliver the best pop album this year tho?

Desperado, Never Ending, Yeah, I Said It and Kiss It Better kinda slay tbh. Close To You and Love On The Brain are also decent. Higher, Same Ol' Mistakes and Woo are a mess. Think most of the stuff will actually grow on me after listening more often, but I don't really see that much single material in there that could smash on radio tbh.
Yup, I couldn't even finish Woo and Same Ol' Mistakes.

I think this album is 7.5/10. I kinda miss pop Rihanna tbh, what am I going to drunkenly dance to now?

Mau ®

This is my rihview. Forgive any grammar mistakes as english is not my native tongue.

___

Today I'm overwhelmed by a feeling that Rihanna has never really served me with entirely before: dissapointment.

As you all may be aware, Rihanna is my #1 fave pop girl. Through the years she's served on several fronts: music, fashion, attitude. She's even served good performances for a few years now. Her voice has phenomenally improved over the wisp she had during her first albums.

ANTi was supposed to be the album that would finally make Rihanna a good album artist. The kind of artist that will serve great albums without a conscious effort to please radio that much. She's always released arguably decent albums like GGGB, Loud and TTT. These albums are good for the moment but in the end disposable. They did however include classic pop songs that will become the template of what we hear now on radio.

ANTi falls short of that expectation. Which is not say it's a bad album in any objective sense. It's just an album that doesn't know what it wants: Do you want to be timeless? Do you want to be a alt-R&B songstress? Do you want to serve ratchetry? ANTi will give you all of this and at the same time leave you with a sense of null satisfaction because it never persues any of these avenues convincingly.

As bad as the previous paragraph may sound, it's also gives a good indication that Rihanna could present us a really good, even classic, album in the future if she decides to stick to a lane and EXPLORE it. For now, she just gives indication of potential.

ANTi is not without moments of briliance: "Love On The Brain" will have you convinced somehow the final mixer accidentally included an Alabama Shakes demo in there and forgot about it. "Kiss It Better" is proof of how easily she can execute a pop song. "Higher" may be deemed a screechy mess but it proves that she emotes with conviction and can act out a character.

ANTi is not the album anyone wanted from her. It may not even be the album she wanted to make after all this time and effort. But it could serve as a bridge. But what kind of bridge? That's for Rihanna to decide

Matt_

Rihanna
Beyoncé
Lady Gaga
Britney Spears
Lorde
Katy Perry
Christina Aguilera

One album down. Hew's gonna deliver the best pop album this year tho?

pop album? gaga clearly

and why is there not OT for anti?

Holy shit is no one here for ANTi? Everyone in that thread is dragging it and so are some other sites... RIP Experimental Lazy Rihanna, I think we're going back to popgirl rihanna next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom