• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrV4ltor

Gags and Bey better come thru and serve some good bops, because ANTi is nothing more than a 6.5/10 to me. And even that's stretching it a bit.
I have zero hope that Perra will deliver anything that's different from her last albums.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ugh, I actually kind of like ANTI. It's different and kind of unexpected.
Though I'm glad it was free cuz I wouldn't have paid for it.

PV5Uhm3.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
what song was azealia supposed to be on?

I honestly don't know why you guys are giving Anti such a hard time. I think, especially given the name of the album, it's exactly what Rihanna wanted. Something completely different that what we've seen from her. As far as radio hits go, Work could smash, Kiss it Better is most likely the radio stand out, and I can see either Love on the Brain or Close to You being the arthouse ballad single. Anyways, here's my breakdown

Love it
Kiss it Better
Same Ol Mistakes
Consideration
Needed Me
Woo
Desperado
Love on the Brain
Yeah, I Said It

Like It
Close to You
Higher
James Joint (ugh, it needed to be longer)

Need More Time
Work
Never Ending

Frodo

Yeah, but Beyonce didn't have to abandon her entire pop foundation to gain some authenticity. Blow, Partition, Flawless, etc. are fucking bops.

Rihanna delivered not a single bop in her quest for "maturity" and ends up looking less authentic as a result. No one's going to flock to her tour to hear these new tracks because they're boring as shit, whereas Rihanna herself is anything but.

No lies spotted, really.

Bladenic

I'm not done but I've only really liked James Joint (fuck this interlude shit), Work, Same Ol Mistakes (standout), and Never Ending

RIP maybe with time

Super early impressions but here's my take:

Consideration - 5/5
James Joint - 3.5/5
Kiss It Better - 4/5 (that bridge is 5/5 though)
Work - 5/5
Desperado - 4/5
Woo - 2.5/5
Needed Me - 4/5
Yeah, I Said It - 3.5/5
Same Ol' Mistakes - 3/5
Never Ending - 5/5
Love On The Brain - 5/5
Higher - 5/5
Close To You - 3.5/5

Highlights are Consideration, Work, Never Ending, Love On The Brain and Higher. Desperado and Kiss It Better are right up there too.

Floridian

I'm gonna wait until the three deluxe tracks come before I judge the whole thing, but for those who are saying there's no "smash" hit included, Kiss It Better, Desperado, Close To You & Love On The Brain all have singles potential. At least 5/13 of the album have hit potential. "Bop Pop" Rih has been gone for a while and I don't want to see her revert back to LOUD tbh, whether that makes her seem "inauthetic" or not, because the music now is clearly better.

3phemeral

Listening halfway through the album again, definite standouts are Consideration, Desperado, and Kiss It Better. What I love about KIB is it gives me a very "Rih's take on 90s TLC" feel. Work could have gone places but it just drones on and then becomes crap.

Touchdown

Banned
Yeah, but Beyonce didn't have to abandon her entire pop foundation to gain some authenticity. Blow, Partition, Flawless, etc. are fucking bops.

Rihanna delivered not a single bop in her quest for "maturity" and ends up looking less authentic as a result. No one's going to flock to her tour to hear these new tracks because they're boring as shit, whereas Rihanna herself is anything but.

But what did Rihanna abandon? I don't think she was ever truly pop. In fact I'd say Beyonce was much more pop when she first "popped" on the scene with Destiny's Child. I would also disagrih with Blow and Flawless being bops. If they were true bops they would have appeared somwhere on the charts. I thought they were pretty boring as well as the videos for them.

This is Rihanna's most authentic album to date, which you can see in the fact that she is listed as the main writer for all the songs.

Floridian

But what did Rihanna abandon? I don't think she was ever truly pop. In fact I'd say Beyonce was much more pop when she first "popped" on the scene with Destiny's Child. I would also disagrih with Blow and Flawless being bops. I thought they were pretty boring as well as the videos for them.

This is Rihanna's most authentic album to date, which you can see in the fact that she is listed as the main writer for all the songs.

Yeah she was never primary pop to begin with. Her career started with basic dancehall music that still became somewhat hits back then. LOUD Rihanna if anything was inauthentic according to her since she disliked the era in general and didn't really want to perform any of those songs attached to it. The music that's on ANTi, she contributed the most she's ever done on an album. that's why the majority of the tracks have some credits with her involved.

So i'm not sure where POPGAF is getting this "she's trying to gain credibility" direction when comparing to Beyonce's self Titled when that also applies to it. Anyway, just listened to the deluxe, and the Good Gotham track is too short. The other two I haven't fully decided yet, but the album is still 9/10 for me.

Floridian

Some of ya'll are so used to mediocre Rihanna serving yearly radio music that when she just now delivers a cohesive album that potentially negates that, ya'll turned off about that. I don't get it but we'll see what R9 has in store.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Florrie is coming with a new song Feb 5th
I'm so EXCITED

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Still better than any Britney album sans-Blackout though, sis. :0

!

You did NOT just shade Knee's best album like that

WfjdKNh.gif

In The Zone >>>> Blackout

Some of ya'll are so used to mediocre Rihanna serving yearly radio music that when she just now delivers a cohesive album that potentially negates that, ya'll turned off about that. I don't get it but we'll see what R9 has in store.

ANTi is good. Way better than Beyawnce's Self-Tidal'd

Let's be real though, R9 is going to be another trash, by-the-numbers radio friendly Rihanna affair
NKq0BiQ.gif

Britney/Rih S&M is a classic.

That aside, I love songs that take you places and are more than just a beat to dance to, but ANTi is just not moving me with the force that I wanted it to so far.

My stand outs are:

Close to You
Never Ending
Same Ol' Mistakes

Floridian

Mau ®;193568916 said:
What do you think will be the singles?

I can see "Kiss It Better" and "Love On The Brain" getting treatment.

Kiss It Better is definitely going to be a single. There's a video already planned/made for it, and it's arguably the most loved track upon listeners. It's also radio friendly too, it'll be ate up.

3rd Single should be Desperado, and the 4th could either go to Love On The Brain or Close To You (slow ballad).

Matt_

Matt_

Is she at least still working with Xenomania?

not a clue

The video is shot by the same person that did How Deep Is Your Love, On My Mind and Player though, so they don't seem to be playing around

enigmatic_alex44

American Horror Story Season 6 possibilites

American Horror Story writers are gearing up for the sixth season of the horror anthology show and they have allegedly got their eyes on a particularly creepy figure perfect for spooking a modern audience. While Hotel featured many characters from the 1920s and other past decades, this instalment looks to be more up to date with the focus being on Slender Man, a black-suited character with long arms who stalks children, and originated from an internet meme.

"Someone else wrote the script, and AHS wants to adapt it to fit the show," an insider from the show reportedly told Us Weekly. "They have to buy the rights. Then they're going to figure out the cast from there." Slender Man was created by Eric Knudsen, also known as Victor Surge, in 2009. That character has since gone on to become a horror icon and appeared in several games as well as being the foundation in some upcoming films.

The most obvious choice to return would be Lady Gaga, off the back of her success on fifth season Hotel as The Countess. The 29-year-old won a Golden Globe award earlier in January for best performance by an actress in a limited series or motion picture made for television. It was her first major acting win and she beat Queen Latifah, Kirsten Dunst, Sarah Hay and Felicity Huffman to the award.

Us Weekly's source added that the producers are already keen for Gaga to feature again too, saying: "They're trying really hard to get her back."

Gaga coming for that 2nd Golden Globe.

g2YBkV0.png

Matt_

no.
I loved her on AHS but I need music, a nice long era and a tour before she goes back to acting

Phreaker

Mau ®;193545873 said:
ANTi is trash. Y'all need to realize.

I'm glad someone said it. It's just not doing it for me after a couple listens. KIB and LOtB are okay though. No wonder it was $4.99 for a hot minute, then free.

Gaga please save Pop music of 2016.

enigmatic_alex44

no.
I loved her on AHS but I need music, a nice long era and a tour before she goes back to acting

I mean as much as I'd love to see her on AHS again, I agree, it's better if she waits until season 7 or 8 to return if she does at all. I won't watch season 6 if she's not in.

I need a full era from Gagita:
- at least five music videos (that are nothing like that G.U.Y. mess)
- at least 2 iconic red carpet appearances that make all the headlines like the Egg entrance or arriving at the red carpet on a human horse
- at least one song that serves MonotoneGa
- at least one iconic collaboration with another huge artist. Madonna? Rih? Azealia Banks?
- no "hip injuries" and no excuses this time

Floridian

Once again Metacritic proving their bias and inaccuracy when it comes to Rihanna albums. Some of them are even resorting to Braille drags. Such a joke.

Frodo

Anti is okay. Not a slay, not a complete flop. I'll use, but I wish it were either more experimental or more pop. The way it is it feels like it is still trying to be both and succeeding at none. It has its moments but overall it feels very flat, with not too many highs driving the experience up. Still need to listen to it again to see if it gets better with subsequent listenings. But I'm afraid it will be remembered more for its troubled launch and how not to release an album then for its music. Honest opinion, no shade.

Art Angels remains unbothered.

Floridian

Everyone loves Kiss It Better it seems. It was among the most streamed songs of the album too. Thank god it wasn't scrapped. It would've been one of the biggest mistakes of Rhat's career. Now make it the next single!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom