• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
I just read that Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

Commercial success with an Academy award despite the mess that it is and the horrid critic reception... Oh well, let me feast on the Marvel stans tears a bit.

9Qewu5H.gif

The winner for best original song tho... no.

I just read that Suicide Squad won an Oscar.

Commercial success with an Academy award despite the mess that it is and the horrid critic reception... Oh well, let me feast on the Marvel stans tears a bit.

9Qewu5H.gif

The winner for best original song tho... no.

At least JT didn't win for that abomination

9Qewu5H.gif

rhandino

Banned
The Justin Timberlake song is kind of a cute bop

9Qewu5H.gif

I use it sparingly.

----

I just noticed that Shakira blessed us all with 3 incredible songs last year: Try Everything, La Bicicleta and Chantaje.

Que reina tan generosa T_T

9Qewu5H.gif

Decarabia

ICYMI
JRCEek2.png

Like the name implies, the goal here is for the community to share songs they like (and, preferably, that they've listened to recently). After a few days, every song will be added to a weekly playlist that everyone can listen to and hopefully enjoy. A vote will also be held to decide which song is effectively Bop of the Week (or BotW, for short
get it?
). Easy and fun, right?

RULES:
1. Each person can only pick one song for the playlist. However, since you don't have to sign-in to vote, I'll just have to take your word for it.
2. You can pick any song, but keep in mind this is a Pop community. The song you nominate does not have to be new.
3. I'll be creating a Spotify and Youtube playlist, so try and make sure the song can be found on at least one of these.
4. Since I've made it so you can see what others have chosen and edit your response, if you see your song has already been nominated, you're free to change it if you'd like.
5. If you have any questions, concerns, criticisms or suggestions of any kind, go ahead.

Got it? So what are you waiting for?
Pick your song here!
And to whoever put in just "Mariah Carey", friendly reminder that, afaik, that's not a song.

rhandino

Banned
And to whoever put in just "Mariah Carey", friendly reminder that, afaik, that's not a song.
The fact that the person who wrote that could have said "Don't" but didn't.

9Qewu5H.gif

Anyway! I decided to go back a bit and listen to Alessia Cara album and the EP to see if I missed something last time.

So far? It's just OK, like nothing remarkable yet nothing really bad that offend me like it tends to happen with some of the new hews.

A bland and complacent effort.

A "Mariah after The Emancipation of Mimi" T

rhandino

Banned
Teaser my butt, that could be anything.
Her Artpop era is almost upon us!!! No wonder Garret is stanning~

---

Listening Four Pink Walls from Alessia an rn "Here" is playing... Jesus, she really wants to wear Lorde skin as a suit asdklasl;dk'as;dlk;aslkas

[redacted]

You know what... I kind use this if it's playing on Spotify.

There is so much better than her out there tho, If I have to describe her in one word it would be "potential"

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That teaser beat sounds like some Avicii trash. If that's what she's bringing...

giphy.gif

Next.
...First of all Avicii has many different types of beats like what?? Second of all, Avicii has some decent songs.

Her Artpop era is almost upon us!!! No wonder Garret is stanning~

---

Listening Four Pink Walls from Alessia an rn "Here" is playing... Jesus, she really wants to wear Lorde skin as a suit asdklasl;dk'as;dlk;aslkas

[redacted]

You know what... I kind use this if it's playing on Spotify.

There is so much better than her but I guess that word I would use to describe her would be "potential"
Potential is a good word for her I would say. Her singles are very angsty, but she's just using them to corner a market that's not really there (pop-angst).

I did like her version of "How Far I'll Go" for the Moana movie.

rhandino

Banned
aviici has some really great bangers that got a LOT of use in clubs, discos and bars.

Addicted to You, Hey Brother and WAKE ME UP.

9Qewu5H.gif

Let's not hate talent just because the unwashed masses love it plz

aviici has some really great bangers that got a LOT of use in clubs, discos and bars.

Addicted to You, Hey Brother and WAKE ME UP.

9Qewu5H.gif

Let's not hate talent just because the unwashed masses love it plz

Agreed! Aviici is a musical genius!

9Qewu5H.gif

'True' is an amazing album, it is known. Male artists still winning!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I did like her version of "How Far I'll Go" for the Moana movie.

+1

Auril Cavahilo and Moana were ROBBED!!!

Both in best animation (okay zootopia was actually better) and in best song (definitely here)!

I think the wrong song from Moana got nominated, as I don't think it was the best song in the movie. Then again, when thinking of what the Oscars typically recognize, I'm not sure there was any individual song that would have worked better. I'm not familiar with the other songs that were nominated, so I don't know how "How Far I'll Go" compares against them.

That said, Auli'i Cravalho was amazing during her performance. She must have felt so much pressure, and yet she was so poised. Only 16 and yet doing better than a lot of people's faves right now.

I love you for this GIF usage. What a classic.

Neptune

someone else in this comm has been listening to hana this week

come forward sis

5a2ef818aa32c168717a8a24841ce6da.jpg

Ever since I saw her open for Grimes last year, her entire EP has regularly been among my most played albums. More people need to know about her. Apparently she has new music coming soon, too!

5a2ef818aa32c168717a8a24841ce6da.jpg

Ever since I saw her open for Grimes last year, her entire EP has regularly been among my most played albums. More people need to know about her. Apparently she has new music coming soon, too!
sle!

yeah i've been listening to it a lot in the past week

i would love to see grimes and her live at some point tbh

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Everyday was an okay song. They could have chosen a better song for a single, but Future is popular right now (Cold, Selfish) and his two albums. Might have been a smart decision, since essentially it's her last single and her cycle is starting to wind down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom