• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soulscribe the links to the playlist are reversed, the Gaga one leads to the Madonna playlist and the Madonna one to Gaga's.
Anyway, glad to see Rih won :) It better be Beyonce v Rihanna in the end.

ipOfNgIoAmSTV.png

i4n7mE8RkmEBe.png

icIJfMyH2UJGV.png

vs

imyUCeFfB30G3.png

Vote good music!

With the final four determined, here's a quick look back at how all our tourney entrants have ranked in the game overall:

ib1vUauT757XWp.png

10-5 coming up!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
The final round of the tournament!
(as far as I'm concerned)

My two top faves face off ^_^

news_snl02.jpg

I'll be happy with either winning, but I must cast my vote.... Let me give it to:

-The best selling female artist of all time
-The Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame inductee
-The accomplished movie director
and less accomplished actress
-The #1 most watched Superbowl half-time show in history
-The blueprint for the modern pop-star, though often imitated, but never replicated

Vote for the Queen Regent of Pop

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17469-1328502990-35.gif

Vote good music!

Great list! .......but how could you leave Deeper and Deeper and Candy Shop off of it?!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Exactly. When Gaga succeeds at what she does, it's because she's the best post-Madonna pop star in a post-Madonna pop world. The only sensible choice is Madge.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Mau ®;139945963 said:
The best pop star is a post-Madge world is probably still Shitney.

I'd argue that it is probably Kylie. But she never managed to break through in North America like she did in the rest of the world for some reason

I'm voting for Lady Gaga (unsurprisingly), and here's why:

1) They're both VERY similar.

Both are rambunctious zany women from New York who love pop culture, know how to command attention, and tend to go rogue in times where it may seem counter-productive to do so. Because of that, my vote for Gaga is my stock in the belief that she is fully capable (and willing) to go as far as Madonna did, hit as hard as she did, and influence pop culture on the level that she did. She may not do it in the same way, since times have changed, but given her track record so far, and her THIRST for ruling the world, I don't doubt that Gaga has a huuuuge career ahead of her.

2) Lady Gaga isn't an asshole.

The impression we get of these women in the public space doesn't paint the whole picture of who they are behind closed doors, but it does offer an inference. Madonna strikes me as a mean girl, and Lady Gaga doesn't. While both are passionate and determined women, and quite brash, I believe that their hearts and minds are in slightly different places. While Madonna comes off as harshly calculated, Lady Gaga comes off as spontaneously passionate. I don't doubt Madonna's passion or Lady Gaga's business savvy, but I don't think Lady Gaga has a "let's fuck them up" mentality quite like Madonna has. And that makes Gaga more interesting to me. Plus, Madonna's been known to be a prick.

3) The talent.

While hardly a hard-hitting vocalist and hardly the greatest song-writer, Lady Gaga's combined talents and showmanship put her up and beyond Madonna's talent abilities. While Madonna is a song-writer herself, it seems her level of involvement in the process wavers depending on the project, and while she's gotten minutely better in the studio, she still can't compete with Gaga's pipes. Madonna's a better dancer for sure, but even with that, Lady takes the cake overall.

4) Lady Gaga is a 24/7 show.

I don't think there's been anyone in recent memory more committed to their job title on and off the clock. Lady Gaga is always on, always dressed for a snapshot, always selling herself or her products, and is constantly ready to talk about something she's inspired by that day. In the social media age where the lens follows you 24/7, that's an incredible feat. Had our culture been this way in Madonna's time, I doubt she would be as committed. As someone for whom her commitment is directed toward, consider me flattered.

5) The promise.

The Madonna career biography, while long and inspiring and amazingly iconic, can now essentially be written in full. We know Gaga has her passion, her gall, her performance abilities, and has already shown a high level of influence in her own social landscape. We still don't know how Lady Gaga will steer the rest of her career, and given how she's said time and time again that she plans to stick around for 30 more years, is there a possibility that she can steer the ship farther than Madge did? She has a couple of one-ups on her side: she doesn't try to rustle feathers (which is handy in the likability department), and she's able to study Madonna's own trajectory and foresee the storms. Madonna is a once-in-a-lifetime entertainer, and her influence can't be understated. But I believe in Lady Gaga. And given her identical footprint to the Material Girl, I suggest you do too.

Now let me listen to the Immaculate Collection today to commemorate the queen, right after I #voteforLadyGaga.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sorry but I can't condone putting potential above actual achievement. Especially when the person with the 'potential' is living in the shadow of the achiever.

I'm voting for Lady Gaga (unsurprisingly), and here's why:

1) They're both VERY similar.
Gross lies. Madonna didn't flop so early into her career. Madonna kept her audience engaged in what she was doing.

2) Lady Gaga isn't an asshole.
She doesn't have to be. She isn't nearly as massive as Madonna, therefore hasn't had to build up her "mean girl" persona.

3) The talent.
Ha! However middling her input into her own creative persuits, Madonna has delivered time and time again. Whereas that other one can't seem to keep people who aren't you interested.

4) Lady Gaga is a 24/7 show.
Lol. That's one major problem with you kids today. You expect your faves to be ON all the time. Madonna had as much media scrutiny as anyone and handled it just fine. Interacting with the rabble shouldn't be a requirement. Those who require the minutiae of their faves lives are just strange.

5) The promise.
You think there's still promise after her latest two efforts. I swear, you Aguilera stans are a different kind of deluded. The writing was clearly on the wall that most people weren't here for her schtick anymore. Everything that came after the itunes festival has confirmed that fact.
Can I vote for Madonna twice? I think we can all agree that Madonna's next album will be moderately successful and her next tour will undoubtedly slay and be a monster success. Can the same be said for the other one?

Sorry but I can't condone putting potential above actual achievement. Especially when the person with the 'potential' is living in the shadow of the achiever.
Right...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Those who require the minutiae of their faves lives are just strange.
Agreed. There's a huge difference between an artist making themselves accessible to their fans and the degree at which a lot of young people my age expect them to be open/accountable for. I actually feel bad for anyone who becomes famous. There is zero privacy anymore.

Granted, Gaga has interacted with her now shameful fanbase so much that she deserves the crazy that comes her way IMO.

Madonner Is overrated imo. I mean she's cool, she deserves all of the success that she had but still

Also her fans are just as insufferable as little monsters.

royalan

Mau ®;139945963 said:
The best pop star is a post-Madge world is probably still Shitney.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

The best pop star in a post-Madge world, and the ONLY true heir to her throne, is Rihanna. By every conceivable metric, and nobody else even comes close. Hell, I've been saying this since the days before I became #Navy and HATED Rihanna, it's that damn obvious.

The music impact.
The fashion impact.
The pop culture impact.
The tour impact.
the controversy.
The seeming EASE with which she achieved all of this.

It's all there.

Seriously, when you gurls have this "Who's the next Madonna?" conversation, stop thinking only in terms of "Who looks the most like Madonna?" Because Rih has been The Next Madonna for entire eras now. Shitney fell off. Lady Gaga hasn't been a top-tier Pop Girl for 2 eras now. Katy Perry is Katy Perry. And Taylor Swift's impact on pop culture doesn't and will never match her album sales. As far as I'm concerned she's still a Country artist cosplaying as Pop.

royalan

I disagree, Rihanna isn't even close. Britney is by far the most iconic 21st century pop star.

You can disagree, but to say that Rihanna "isn't even close" when her career trajectory is the only one that comes close to matching Madge's is complete delusion.

Album success.
Single success.
Tour success.
GLOBAL success.
Has yet to truly have a flop era.
Shows no signs of stopping.

Mau ®

She has a couple of one-ups on her side: she doesn't try to rustle feathers (which is handy in the likability department), and she's able to study Madonna's own trajectory and foresee the storms.

I disagree. She comes across as smug and defensive on interviews and social media. She used to be likeable but that was long ago.

Also, ARTPOP and to a lesser degree Born This Way clearly show a woman who lacks business savvy IMO. The general sentiment among her fans with Cheek to Cheek isn't exactly positive either. I only saw them flaunting the " 2 #1 albums in a year" receipt, but never praising the album itself.

Touchdown

Banned
The best pop star post Madonna is Mariah. The best pop star post Mariah is yet to be determined since Mariah is still more productive and successful than all of your faves.

tumblr_nf75lbPtiO1sba90go2_400.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You can disagree, but to say that Rihanna "isn't even close" when her career trajectory is the only one that comes close to matching Madge's is complete delusion.

Album success.
Single success.
Tour success.
GLOBAL success.
Has yet to truly have a flop era.
Shows no signs of stopping.
Britney has all of that except the flop era bit and the no sign of stopping.

But no live performances Rih has had have come close to Britney x Madonna, Slave 4 U, even Gimme More. Britney has had more iconic videos, nothing comes close to Baby One More Time, Oops, or Toxic. She is the essential 21st century 'good girl gone bad' with her change from Oops... to Britney, and her antics during 2007 were front page news based purely on the strength of her pop culture power.

Britney...
live performances
iZdTFaaMA8yGa.gif

Is that something Britney is known for?

ibphkqKTxBV4I7.gif

Folk don't want Rihanna to be the next Madonna for the same reason they keep insisting Gaga is the next greatest thing. If Rih was white... there'd be no debate here. Her credentials and accolades speak for themselves. Gaga can flop from here to the moon and still get press and will be eagerly anticipated (by some). But Rih and Bey have to be (and in most cases have been) beyond reproach but folk wanna act like they're some soundcloud hoes.

Y'all can keep gassing up these residency having, talent show hosting, can't fill a venue hoes if you want to. The truth is plain to see.

ibf334UoMN6hij.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Well, just got back and Floppingbird Part 1 was disappointing :( I went in with low expectations due to negative feedback and bad reviews, and still was let down. Worst Hunger Games movie by far (it was decent but after part 2 slayed I thought part 3 might continue that trend, obviously an effect of them cutting the last film in two to maximize profit) :/ :/

I thought Ariana had a song on the OST? I didn't hear it in the film or the credits. I'm ignoring the rumors now and have come to like her, prettiest and most talented singer on the scene these days from the new generation tbh

Britney has all of that except the flop era bit and the no sign of stopping.

But no live performances Rih has had have come close to Britney x Madonna, Slave 4 U, even Gimme More. Britney has had more iconic videos, nothing comes close to Baby One More Time, Oops, or Toxic. She is the essential 21st century 'good girl gone bad' with her change from Oops... to Britney, and her antics during 2007 were front page news based purely on the strength of her pop culture power.

I agree with Brit > Rih for career and videos. But gurl, live performances? Rih's not great in that regard (Madonna though is unmatched) but Brit hasn't been for a while either, though she used to slay

brit-dance.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I thought Ariana had a song on the OST? I didn't hear it in the film or the credits. I'm ignoring the rumors now and have come to like her, prettiest and most talented singer on the scene these days from the new generation tbh
She does have one. Look it up on iTunes. It's good, despite not fitting in with the rest of the CD.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
iZdTFaaMA8yGa.gif

Is that something Britney is known for?

ibphkqKTxBV4I7.gif

Folk don't want Rihanna to be the next Madonna for the same reason they keep insisting Gaga is the next greatest thing. If Rih was white... there'd be no debate here. Her credentials and accolades speak for themselves. Gaga can flop from here to the moon and still get press and will be eagerly anticipated (by some). But Rih and Bey have to be (and in most cases have been) beyond reproach but folk wanna act like they're some soundcloud hoes.

Y'all can keep gassing up these residency having, talent show hosting, can't fill a venue hoes if you want to. The truth is plain to see.

ibf334UoMN6hij.gif
Britney was absolutely known for live performances before her breakdown. See also: The Onyx Hotel tour.

Well, just got back and Floppingbird Part 1 was disappointing :( I went in with low expectations due to negative feedback and bad reviews, and still was let down. Worst Hunger Games movie by far (it was decent but after part 2 slayed I thought part 3 might continue that trend, obviously an effect of them cutting the last film in two to maximize profit) :/ :/

Why didn't you like it, sis? JLaw slayed and the movie wasn't ever intended to be action packed like Catching Fire.

Vazduh

Before Britney's Jeans, I'd say Brit > Rih.

But now that it's obvious Britney doesn't care anymore, it's Rih all the way.

I'm watching it tomorrow and I'm already dreading it a bit. I'm usually a patient person (just sat through the 180 minutes of Blue Is The Warmest Color,
which is a wonderful 140-minute movie hiding inside a 40 minute longer one
), but some of the reactions have got me worried so my expectations are lowered.

enigmatic_alex44

Why didn't you like it, sis? JLaw slayed and the movie wasn't ever intended to be action packed like Catching Fire.

I agree JLaw slayed I'm a huge fan of her, she's by far the best part of the movie :) (besides the orange cat of course :3) But honestly, it felt like many scenes dragged on simply to pad the movie. Like it feels as if they took what could have been a great 2.5 or 3 hour movie, chopped it in half, then needlessly extended scenes so they could squeeze two movies out of this (many scenes just dragged on for no reason, I was bored beyond belief at points). I don't want to be too specific to spoil those who haven't seen it. I did still like it somewhat, and there were several great scenes, one near the end that surprised me and made me jump as I've never read the books (you prob know which one). Gotta try to stay spoiler free now for a year just like I do with GoT :D

I'm watching it tomorrow and I'm already dreading it a bit. I'm usually a patient person (just sat through the 180 minutes of Blue Is The Warmest Color,
which is a wonderful 140-minute movie hiding inside a 40 minute longer one
), but some of the reactions have got me worried a bit so my expectations are lowered.

Oh no so BITWC kind of sucks too? It's on my near-future to-watch list :(
Vazduh! Don't let me put a downer on the movie for you but yeah, it's best to keep expectations in check for this one... That's two weeks of floppage in a row! Interstellar has the same issue as what you described with Blue imo

Vazduh

Oh no so BITWC kind of sucks too? It's on my near-future to-watch list :(
Vazduh! Don't let me put a downer on the movie for you but yeah, it's best to keep expectations in check for this one... That's two weeks of floppage in a row! Interstellar has the same issue as what you described with Blue imo

No, no, no, no, it doesn't suck. On the contrary. It's a really good movie and it's worth a watch, it's just that the editor could have shaved off 30 minutes off the movie and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I did have a problem with the sex scenes which were definitely way too long and over-the-top, but the biggest problem was that it was obvious they were directed by a man (male gaze and all). I get the intent behind those scenes, I really do, but the execution could have been better. And shorter, of course. The graphic novel the movie was based on was more tasteful in that regard, although the movie is better than the source material for the most part.

Oh, God, Interstellar :D For the first two thirds I actually thought that I was going to love it. But then the last third
(turd)
came and... just, no. No. And I felt that Matthew McConaughey overplayed his role a bit. Anne Hathaway was also surprisingly bland, which was a bit unexpected because she's usually a strong actress.

Zutroy

Guetta's new album is pretty good. There's four or have tracks I've had on repeat for a while now. If your a fan of his previous stuff I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mau ®

Guetta's new album is pretty good. There's four or have tracks I've had on repeat for a while now. If your a fan of his previous stuff I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I liked One Love but Nothing But The Beat was rancid.

I heard previews of the new one and they're a step up.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Jordin Sparks New EP 'Bye Felicia' coming on Tuesday.
ahh.gif

Edit: Working with someone called DJ Sour Milk
ahh.gif
ahh.gif
ahh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom