• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
HAPPY NEW YEARS POP GAF!!

Happy New Year!!!

I see you rocking that cleavage. Get it girl.
8f70c6ea.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This is the first song I listened to this year, mess.

I'm forever chasing after time, but everybody DIIIIESSSS

EVERBODY DIEESS DIEESS

IgIqJUp.gif

song is an absolute slay

rude

Banned
I've seen the light. Closer is the best song on LP1. Simply [ s e r a p h i c a l ].

In my mind, eternal darkness
Seemed like it was true (True, true, true)
Oh so wretched, wretched, wretched, wretched
My savior knew I was weary (I was lost)
I was sleepy but you held me through
Carried me along the sand your footsteps gold and good

o? f*cking choke on it

Submitted my ballot for 2014. Kind of a weak year compared to the slayage that was pop in 2013.

2014 brought us 1989, Chandelier, more Lana and JazzGa so good enough. Sadly though it also gave us more Ariana, Iggy and Meghan Trainor. Just gotta take the good with the bad.

2015 Madonna World Domination incoming though

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Submitted my ballot for 2014. Kind of a weak year compared to the slayage that was pop in 2013.

2014 brought us Sucker so good enough. Sadly though it also gave us more Ariana, Gaga, Iggy and Meghan Trainor. Just gotta take the good with the bad.

2015 Natalia Kills World Domination incoming though

Wow I agree!

Floridian

2014 brought us Aquarius, Chandelier, more Lana and Ariana so good enough. Sadly though it also gave us more Iggy and Meghan Trainor. Just gotta take the good with the bad.

2015 Rihanna World Domination incoming though

Great minds think alike.

Latch

Submitted my ballot for 2014. Kind of a weak year.

2014 brought us BWET, Zayn looking hot, more Beyonce and a few bops so good enough. Sadly though it also gave us Cheek To Cheek, Iggy and no R8. Just gotta take the good with the bad.

2015 Rihanna World Domination incoming though

Wow, I couldn't agree more!

Cynosure

good fucking riddance pop2014, easily the worst year of music of all time

i need Adele to hurry up and save us from another year of 1989

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
SHb6USDg_400x400.jpeg

Cher Lloyd released an album this year? I had no idea
Sirens and I Wish are pretty good, will have to check it out

How long do we have to do the grammy noms?

B-Dex

I was a damn mess last night. I groped 20 straight dudes and made out with a married man in front of his wife.

Then I can't remember the rest of my night.

Anaconda was played a lot though. A lot.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I was a damn mess last night. I groped 20 straight dudes and made out with a married man in front of his wife.

Then I can't remember the rest of my night.

Anaconda was played a lot though. A lot.

The power of Anaconda.

royalan

Girls, if you have HBO, you NEED to watch J.Lo's Dance Again Tour documentary.

This woman is just phenomenal. The costumes, the choreo, the stage, the Extravaganza of it all.

The funny thing is there IS the scent of Beyonce to some of it. But then you realize you're watching J.Lo work the lane that she created. The big hair, urban-glamour outfits (and way too many leotards lol). This is all her.

Fantastic show. Still hard to believe this was her FIRST world tour.

B-Dex

This woman is just phenomenal. The costumes, the choreo, the stage, the Extravaganza of it all.

The funny thing is there IS the scent of Beyonce to some of it. But then you realize you're watching J.Lo work the lane that she created. The big hair, urban-glamour outfits (and way too many leotards lol). This is all her.

Cause she has weak vocals and is basically a studio artist. But now she has some clout so she doesn't give a damn and wanted to show off.

royalan

Cause she has weak vocals and is basically a studio artist. But now she has some clout so she doesn't give a damn and wanted to show off.

She sings live on this tour, though.

Yeah, Live J.Lo vocals aren't incredible, but I'm gonna give her props for being able to faithfully reproduce her songs live while doing everything she's doing on that stage.

Well...what a poor way to demonstrate you are the leader but was never the first and now following behind the the legends that will be remembered, all of who has done it younger.

Shame :(

This ageism tho...

Nah uh sis, I'm stating facts. Jlo first world tour takes place when she's 40 while other artist who came out after her already started in there 20's? Sad, but that's not even an accomplishment. If Jlo created it, back in the 90's, she would have been started... But she hasn't until now soooooooooooooo........ Yeah, the statements do not match the timeline lol.

royalan

Nah uh sis, I'm stating facts. Jlo first world tour takes place when she's 40 while other artist who came out after her already started in there 20's? Sad, but that's not even an accomplishment. If Jlo created it, back in the 90's, she would have been started... But she hasn't until now soooooooooooooo........ Yeah, the statements do not match the timeline lol.

It's an accomplishment that a woman in her 40s can come out and do a sold-out world tour, period.

Also, this is J.Lo's first world tour...but it's not her first time performing on a stage. I think it's hard to make the claim that she isn't one of the originators of this type of performance style just because she didn't world tour until just now.

It's an accomplishment that a woman in her 40s can come out and do a sold-out world tour, period.

Also, this is J.Lo's first world tour...but it's not her first time performing on a stage. I think it's hard to make the claim that she isn't one of the originators of this type of performance style just because she didn't world tour until just now.

Not trying to knock jlo but, Cher and Madonna has done it too who are owed more in part to creating this lane she so called created. Jlo has put Latino women back on the map in the music biz and that it's. However before her there was Gloria estabian, Selena, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, etc.

Good for her that she's 40 and doing it. I'm not even questioning that. I praise her for looking good at her age and still able to throw it back. But I'm coming at the statement the clearly doesn't match the timeline. Jlo can have stage presence and/or the resume of being on stage as a good performer but she's still a mediocre singer who turned actress because that career choice was better than her flop solo career and now being on Idol, she wants to come back to her roots. Time has passed her. She had no lane and if she did, it was incomplete and someone else figured out the rest without her help.

royalan

Not trying to knock jlo but, Cher and Madonna has done it too who are owed more in part to creating this lane she so called created. Jlo has put Latino women back on the map in the music biz and that it's. However before her there was Gloria estabian, Selena, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, etc.

Good for her that she's 40 and doing it. I'm not even questioning that. I praise her for looking good at her age and still able to throw it back. But I'm coming at the statement the clearly doesn't match the timeline. Jlo can have stage presence and/or the resume of being on stage as a good performer but she's still a mediocre singer who turned actress because that career choice was better than her flop solo career and now being on Idol, she wants to come back to her roots. Time has passed her. She had no lane and if she did, it was incomplete and someone else figured out the rest without her help.

What does the bolded have to do with anything, much less my point about J.Lo being an amazing performer?

What does the bolded have to do with anything, much less my point about J.Lo being an amazing performer?

Because your original post (in which I picked out a particular piece) was about a lane she created... Which I'm refuting, because she wasn't in the lane long enough to even accredit her with such a strong title. I never came at her performances. I came at the fact that she is not the leader, creator and pioneer for a craft she never completed. She contributed, yes. However it was and is others who has done it and is doing it after her and during her time, that stayed consistent in their careers and surpassed whatever it is that she is trying starting to do now.

I stil never came at her performances though lol. I think you are giving her the benefit of the doubt on something that isn't exactly true.

royalan

Because your original post (in which I picked out a particular piece) was about a lane she created... Which I'm refuting, because she wasn't in the lane long enough to even accredit her with such a strong title. I never came at her performances. I came at the fact that she is not the leader, creator and pioneer for a craft she never completed. She contributed, yes. However it was and is others who has done it and is doing it after her and during her time, that stayed consistent in their careers and surpassed whatever it is that she is trying starting to do now.

I stil never came at her performances though lol. I think you are giving her the benefit of the doubt on something that isn't exactly true.

I don't think it matters when J.Lo started to touring because she's existed as an entity this entire time. It doesn't matter if you "started touring first" if your entire look and performance style is reminiscent of J.Lo.

I don't think it matters when J.Lo started to touring because she's existed as an entity this entire time. It doesn't matter if you "started touring first" if your entire look and performance style is reminiscent of J.Lo.

Ok fine, let me not get too hard on her (Because I love her). Jlo contributed to music and she is a huge legendary figure piece to the Latin community as a whole breaking into the industry. She is highly regarded as one of the best, highest paid and decorated Latino actresses and is one of the many who contributed to music as a whole. She influenced and is inspirational to a lot of girls including my fave....

.... But she did not create the lane.

rude

Banned
Mariah, queen of continuity. Lullaby on Charmbracelet serving The Roof, Melt Away, Long Ago callbacks.

What other artists have songs that do that (genuinely asking)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom