• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are you guys ready for the return of the Prince of Pop; Akon?
JHPMvW.jpg

http://www.akon.com/album/akon-to-each-his-own-pop-stadium-2/

this post unsettles me

Vazduh

Are you guys ready for the return of the Prince of Pop; Akon?
JHPMvW.jpg

http://www.akon.com/album/akon-to-each-his-own-pop-stadium-2/

Akon has announced details of his new album ‘Stadium’ – his first since 2008 – and basically he’s gone completely mad and will release it in five different formats, each one focusing on a different genre.
In news that seems to reflect some sort of total A&R breakdown, you’ll be able to get ‘Stadium – Pop’, ‘Stadium – Euro’, ‘Stadium – Urban’, ‘Stadium – World’ and ‘Stadium – Island’, which would be sort of exciting if it wasn’t Akon or if this was ten years ago.

JYqsoZi.gif

Touchdown

Banned
The funny thing is there IS the scent of Beyonce to some of it. But then you realize you're watching J.Lo work the lane that she created. The big hair, urban-glamour outfits (and way too many leotards lol). This is all her.

Fantastic show. Still hard to believe this was her FIRST world tour.

She didn't create anything. In fact much of her music was given to her with very little creative input from her. She is a great dancer though. Before JLo there was the queen Gloria Estefan, who truly created her own lane in music and paved the way for the likes of JLow. Sure Low puts on a great dance routine but meh, why would I watch her when Beyonce does it better?

6.jpg

Speaking of...

did you know that Mariah originally wrote the iconic ballad of all times "Hero" for Gloria Estefan, but then her shrewd and not at all manipulative ex-husband Tommy Mottola stepped in and made her keep the song for ha'self?

Thank God for Tommy Mottola

royalan

She didn't create anything. In fact much of her music was given to her with very little creative input from her. She is a great dancer though. Before JLo there was the queen Gloria Estefan, who truly created her own lane in music and paved the way for the likes of JLow. Sure Low puts on a great dance routine but meh, why would I watch her when Beyonce does it better?

6.jpg

But J.Lo and Gloria Estefan are pretty much nothing alike in their music and performance styles. I mean, you have Let's Get Loud from J.Lo's debut album and that's pretty much where the comparison ends.

Like, you guys are throwing out artists now just because they're latino.

Touchdown

Banned
Speaking of...

did you know that Mariah originally wrote the iconic ballad of all times "Hero" for Gloria Estefan, but then her shrewd and not at all manipulative ex-husband Tommy Mottola stepped in and made her keep the song for ha'self?

Thank God for Tommy Mottola

Yeah. She revised it a bit after being convinced on keeping it.

Touchdown

Banned
But J.Lo and Gloria Estefan are pretty much nothing alike in their music and performance styles. I mean, you have Let's Get Loud from J.Lo's debut album and that's pretty much where the comparison ends.

Like, you guys are throwing out artists now just because they're latino.

Not true. Behind the scenes Gloria was a big influence on J Lows music career. One of the first artists she took beats and songs from.

royalan

Not true. Behind the scenes Gloria was a big influence on J Lows music career. One of the first artists she took beats and songs from.

How was Estefan a big influence on "JLo" or "This is Me...Then"?

You guys aren't remembering JLo's discography properly if you think she's been a Latin House artist this whole time. Her albums always have at least 1 throwback Latin track to pay tribute, but other than that JLo has always been Urban/Pop.

Conga shits on everything J.Low has ever done.

Conga shits on most things any artist has ever done.

3phemeral

Mariah, queen of continuity. Lullaby on Charmbracelet serving The Roof, Melt Away, Long Ago callbacks.

What other artists have songs that do that (genuinely asking)?
I don't know of any other artists that do off the top of my head, but I imagine there are.

You're forgetting Mariah's most deliberate one, For the Record, which Queen Mimi turned a perfume commercial jingle into that godly ear ambrosia.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mariah, queen of continuity. Lullaby on Charmbracelet serving The Roof, Melt Away, Long Ago callbacks.

What other artists have songs that do that (genuinely asking)?

There's some more or less obvious callbacks on Bjork's earlier albums (Human Nature -> Bachelorette).

Mau ®

Kanye x Rihanna x Paul McCartney is coming very, very soon.

Not for anything 2015 is the Chinese Year of the Goat. Prepare for THE RIHANNA REIGN to resume shortly.

9.gif

Floridian

Mau ®;145797055 said:
Kanye x Rihanna x Paul McCartney is coming very, very soon.

Not for anything 2015 is the Chinese Year of the Goat. Prepare for THE RIHANNA REIGN to resume shortly.

All of the lights pt 2 coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom