• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So you do what you gonna do
Come on and talk to me
Promise you won't even have an attitude
I'll let you sit right next to me
Don't join the list with all the other fools
That ain't the way to be
Yes, it's cool
Yes, I'm in the mood
Intimidations got that mind

All for you
If you really want it
All for you if you say you need it
All for you if you gotta have it
All for you make a move
All for you

06d67ef42b.gif

Touchdown

Banned

Vazduh

3phemeral

Memoirs is definitely her worst. The only track I still use is Candy Bling, and even that sounds like an auto-tune nightmare at certain points.

Rainbow is mostly garbaj, but it has enough redeeming value (Rainbow Interlude, Petals, Bliss, After Tonight) to justify its own existence, plus its iconiC album art is just so flawlessly extra

Mariah_Carey_Rainbow.png

Memoirs ain't that bad. Painful and is about on par in terms of quality-to-filler ratio. I was just listening to Memoirs today while cooking dinner and although it's probably her most vocally restrained, I loved the playful lyrics. Even on the tracks where I don't care for the rest of the production. In my book, dRainbowl is still her most detritic and uninspired. Actually I'm now thinking E=MC2 might be. Granted, they all have their stellar tracks, it's just not up to what I expect as an album.

I think you should revisit tracks like Betcha Gon' Know, It's A Wrap, although I can understand if HATE U's cut-n-paste vocals are distracting (but I still love it). Languishing makes me rage because of that broken melody that could have been amazing.

I can't really get into Petals because it's so personal so I tend to ignore it. But Bliss is amazing. I'm surprised you can't get into Crybaby, since it has thematically similarities with tracks like The Roof, Babydoll, Lullaby, etc. Plus, how can you not like that outro? They butchered the radio release of that song.

But the bad tracks! Ugh! I mean, X-Girlfriend? How Much? Did I Do That? Unforgivable.

"All right" tracks for me are TGIFY, Heartbreaker, and After Tonight. I'm thinking it might be because the former two were played out like hell, and After Tonight just like My All's "cute, but not as hot" sister.

Charmbracelet is Mariah's best underrated album next to Glitter. I just find more and more to love about it every day. I'd say Memoirs and Rainbow are tied for her worst. And yeah her performances during the Charmbracelet era were everything (probably because the content of all the songs on the album isn't really THAT hard for her to sing).

Charmbracelet has some great moments. I adore Yours, The One, Lullaby, You Had Your Chance. It's also when Mariah finally started heading into a more traditionally gospel-inspired sound with My Saving Grace, which she would later do better with Fly Like a Bird, I Wish You Well, and then Heavenly. I don't get the point of You Got Me when Boy (I Need You) is there. And I Only Wanted is like the other cute sister of the My All & After Tonight trio. She perfected it with My All couldn't replicate that magic.

Charmbracelet tour produced this, which I will forever love. The fact that it's mostly melodically improvized just made an amazing thing that much more amazing.

Mariah-Carey-Band-Intro-Bop.gif

Let's not forget her most impressive studio vocal is actually the [ n e v e r e n d i n g ] LEAD THE WAYSUS.

Also let's choke 2 the oft forgotten but forever loved do you think of me and slipping away.

Will you girls scream if I say that...I like....after tonight better than its sister my all? Omg I can't believe I [t y p e d] that. #forgivemebutterfly
Is Lead the Way really her most impressive studio vocal? Despite the long-held note, I'm going to say no. But I love the acapella of it:

Who
Would have believed
That you and me
Would fall
And land together?

pkiZWS5.gif

Or at least leak them. Imagine waking up one morning to like SIXTY unreleased Daydream-era Mariah studio cuts? I'd unfortunately die of happiness before even getting to listen to a single track.

I do too. It's more sensual~

I also like I Wish You Well more than its sister track, Vanishing.

I imagine we'll get a deluge of her unreleased tracks after she passes, unfortunately. Sony will also magically find the video for Underneath the Stars.

MariahBiRacialTeens.gif

I wouldn't count on that, siS

When Whitney died, I thought Arista would open the fucking floodgates, but guess what the only new thing they had to show for her legacy was?

A 480p remaster of old concert footage.

5p88vSx.jpg

3phemeral

I wouldn't count on that, siS

When Whitney died, I thought Arista would open the fucking floodgates, but guess what the only new thing they had to show for her legacy was?

A 480p remaster of old concert footage.

5p88vSx.jpg

That's surprising. But how long did it take for studios to pimp them out after their death? Both Tupac and MJ had their releases sometime afterward. For some reason I recall Mariah buying the rights to her own music but I can't seem to find information on that anywhere. Though, I really don't know if she has to since she wrote, sung, and produced most of her work anyway.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Glee premiere is L I f E G I V I N G.

Sue Sylvester fat shaming students in a pig pen. Blaine's new BF. Lea Michelle singing let it go.

I can't.
SCREAMING at the warbler debate.

Bitch don't do this to me
I've been rid of that trash for a while now, you wanting me to get back into it is NOT ok

closing this on Wednesday, good turnout so far but it could be better!

i77MnPMNahBZo.png

Ballot Form

ni6ni7s.jpg

Done (a)
The only video worthy of a nomination was of course G.U.Y

Vazra

Bitch don't do this to me
I've been rid of that trash for a while now, you wanting me to get back into it is NOT ok

I decided to watch what the fuss was about and it seems they went back to what people wanted. It kinda gives me Season 1 teas on the first 2 episodes and also I live for some of the shit that happened on the episode
Rachel's and Kurt's bad luck

I really liked Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel,

Songs like Candy Bling, Ribbon, Its a Wrap, and how can you guys forget the arguably best song on the album, Inseparable If that song was released, Memoirs would've taken off, that era was a mess after Obsessed.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That thread makes me sad. So many banned people
also where has mumei been recently? And trigger? And is supes permed? where has koodo gone?
when was blackace demodded too?

I still watch How to be a Heartbreaker.

��

Flawless song, better video

Vazra

royalan

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated All For You, but outside of the title track I was actually really bored by that album. It's a strong Pop/R&B album, but it was so middle-of-the-road by Janet's standards. No bops that were up there with Janet's funnest hits (except for All For You). And no raunchy freak anthems that I NEED on my Janet albums.

To me, Damita Jo was the real Janet comeback album...which is why it sucked so hard that she was blacklisted during the whole thing. :(

Vazra

Don't get me wrong, I appreciated All For You, but outside of the title track I was actually really bored by that album. It's a strong Pop/R&B album, but it was so middle-of-the-road by Janet's standards. No bops that were up there with Janet's funnest hits (except for All For You). And no raunchy freak anthems that I NEED on my Janet albums.

Too me, Damita Jo was the real Janet comeback album...which is why it sucked so hard that she was blacklisted during the whole thing. :(

Well I like most albums except maybe 20 Y.O and Dream Street.

EDIT: Also Ive been tripping in really late 90s and early 2000s music so might explain why Im highlighting this album.

To me, Damita Jo was the real Janet comeback album...which is why it sucked so hard that she was blacklisted during the whole thing. :(

Would You Mind is like the raunchiest freak anthem Janet's ever done though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i've been reminiscing today about 2013, the year that was secretly beyonce's

when bow down/i been on dropped and everyone was like 'wtf is this', such a good day

and such good portent of things to come

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
iamamiwhoami's BLUE was my most played/favorite album of 2014. I've been looking for more music like that, any recommends? Is St. Vincent any good?

she was blacklisted during the whole thing. :(

I remember the backlash over the whole Superbowl nipple incident. But did stations SERIOUSLY blacklist her over THAT? Is that why her career died? Many popstars have done far worse, and on purpose, Janet's was an accident. Unreal.

Omfg
Also mess

Double mess. Like I love how people keep trying to place Gaga in the same category as other manufactured and autotuned singers meanwhile she's one of the actual raw talents we have nowadays who also plays by her own rules tbh

I remember the backlash over the whole Superbowl nipple incident. But did stations SERIOUSLY blacklist her over THAT? Is that why her career died? Many popstars have done far worse, and on purpose, Janet's was an accident. Unreal.
Yeah, it's ridiculous + sexist (with possible racist undertones too).
Double mess. Like I love how people keep trying to place Gaga in the same category as other manufactured and autotuned singers meanwhile she's one of the actual raw talents we have nowadays who also plays by her own rules tbh
Yaaaas. Buy Cheek to Cheek LIVE DVD now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
people are still calling it an accident tho?

yeah i guess she happened to put that nipple jewellery on 'by accident' too?

royalan

Yep, and it's sad. MTV and Viacom pretty much kept Janet from getting play on anything other than Urban radio in the US. The treatment continued during 20 YO era, too. Was disgusting...especially considering Justin would go on to have his biggest era in music shortly after the incident.

people are still calling it an accident tho?

yeah i guess she happened to put that nipple jewellery on 'by accident' too?

Yeah, I NEVER bought the story that it was an accident. That breastplate ripped away too cleanly, and that titty was TOO "show ready."

But damnit US, it was just a fuckin titty.

Vazra

The most annoying thing is that Justin Timberlake didn't get much if any flack for it when he was clearly involved but since he is a man its okay to forgive him.

royalan

Pretty much
What was he trying to do tho? I don't understand what was supposed to happen tbh.

What they say was SUPPOSED to happen was that Justin indeed was supposed to rip away Janet's breastplate, but that the gold sheer bra-thing she had on underneath it was supposed to stay in place, so that the audience would only see the shape of the titty, and not the whole titty. And apparently he pulled too hard and ripped the whole thing.

Problem with that though is when you freeze frame on the moment, you can CLEARLY see that the sheer bra underneath was also constructed to rip away.

His hand was the one that removed the piece so he should have been the one getting more flack for exposing Janet if anything.
That's what I thought
What they say was SUPPOSED to happen was that Justin indeed was supposed to rip away Janet's breastplate, but that the gold sheer bra-thing she had on underneath it was supposed to stay in place, so that the audience would only see the shape of the titty, and not the whole titty. And apparently he pulled too hard and ripped the whole thing.

Problem with that though is when you freeze frame on the moment, you can CLEARLY see that the sheer bra underneath was also constructed to rip away.
Can you actually tell that well though? Is there an HD video or pic somewhere because I don't think that's something you can see from a 360p video :/

Unrelated, I opened the Grammys ballot thing but I don't think I even cared about 5 albums last year so I'm already stumped. :|

Vazra

Unrelated, I opened the Grammys ballot thing but I don't think I even cared about 5 albums last year so I'm already stumped. :|

Let me help you.

Charli XCX - Sucker
St. Vincent - St. Vincent
f(x) - Red Light
Foxes- Glorious
Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence
Azealia Banks - BWET
Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Matt_

Also for your consideration Katy B - Little Red

edit; oh
Two weeks should have really gone in my top ten songs and videos list

rhandino

Banned
Speaking of Miss Janet Jackson bring back memories when I was trying to understand POP-GAF (Like a year ago) and started reading some of the old OTs and stumbled upon one of the most bizarre Stan Wars between a Janet and a Madonna stan...

I got my absolute life with those posts, life changer tbh T_T

For those interested, you can find the posts here, here, here aaaaaan here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom