• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarques

plus she was threatened to be arrested for her Like A Virgin performance in some cities.

I'd kill for a studio version of the Blonde Ambition Like A Virgin mix. So good.

I'd say her best tour is Confessions. Sticky and Sweet bests it in several ways, but all those Hard Candy songs...

royalan

I'd kill for a studio version of the Blonde Ambition Like A Virgin mix. So good.

I'd say her best tour is Confessions. Sticky and Sweet bests it in several ways, but all those Hard Candy songs...

YES

The Blonde Ambition Tour version of Like A Virgin remains the best (the MDNA version being the worst. What a travesty).

Majmun

jwHxDMimH5Phj.jpg

joW3kxiqJMmhf.jpg

iRtyF3yYTjHIA.gif

Vitanimus

I DONT WANNA GO TO SCHOOL
BOYS AND GIRLS ACROSS THE WORLD
PUTTING ON OUR DANCING SHOES
GOING TO THE DISCOTHEQUE
GETTING HIGH AND GETTING WRECKED
I DONT WANNA GO TO SCHOOL

I JUST WANNA BREAK THE RULES
!!!!!!!!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've only watched up to the Reinvention Tour so I haven't watched the allegedly amazing Confessions, Sticky and Sweet tours.

But of the ones I've watched I'd definitely recommend Blonde Ambition and Reinvention. They're both pretty great spectacles.

Drowned World is still so weird to me. It's almost grounsbreaking how she makes the transition from her smaller tours to these huge and intense productions. And it's supporting two great albums. But halfway through it just gets so boring.

Basically all her tours are worth a watch barring her first two which were positively tragic.

I definitely prefer Madge when she does concept albums of sorts. For Reinvention she was really poking fun at America at times and I liked how she reinvented a lot of her songs.

Blonde Ambition. Confessions. Sticky and Sweet.

Thanks, Blonde Ambition will be next up

coming with that flawless lead single as per

B-Dex

P R E A C H it sis.

“Perez sets our community back fifty years. He’s an embarrassment,” said Visage. “I am outraged for an entire community who have been fighting for equality for so long.”

I should start watching bb uk

royalan

P R E A C H it sis.

“Perez sets our community back fifty years. He’s an embarrassment,” said Visage. “I am outraged for an entire community who have been fighting for equality for so long.”

I should start watching bb uk

Michelle Visage is a hypocrite.

Michelle Visage is a hypocrite.

Sis leave it to you to say the 100% complete opposite of what I was about to say seconds before I post it

Michelle Visage is a Goddess and she is SLAYING on Big Brother UK right now. Incredibly smart, empathetic, no-nonsense and supportive of everyone. For her to have had it officially with Perez speaks volumes as to how twatty that attention whore is.

royalan

Sis leave it to you to say the 100% complete opposite of what I was about to say seconds before I post it

Michelle Visage is a Goddess and she is SLAYING on Big Brother UK right now. Incredibly smart, empathetic, no-nonsense and supportive of everyone. For her to have had it officially with Perez speaks volumes as to how twatty that attention whore is.

The problem I have with Michelle here is that the same "you're making us all look bad" criticism she's throwing at Perez is the SAME unfair criticism that gets thrown at Drag Race. You know, that show she judges where 13 queens act a fool on TV in and out of drag to increase their booking fees?

One would think she would know the importance of not holding up an individual (or individuals) as representative of an entire community.

I love Michelle, but she can have a seat on this one.

B-Dex

Should she not call out his behaviour at all then?

And sis maybe get on the show so you can raise your rates. You seem mad about it.

The problem I have with Michelle here is that the same "you're making us all look bad" criticism she's throwing at Perez is the SAME unfair criticism that gets thrown at Drag Race. You know, that show she judges where 13 queens act a fool on TV in and out of drag to increase their booking fees?

One would think she would know the importance of not holding up an individual (or individuals) as representative of an entire community.

I love Michelle, but she can have a seat on this one.

It's different when your audience on Big Brother is the general public, comprised mostly of straight people, and many of whom would totally use Perez as some sort of scapegoat for whatever shit feelings they have toward gay people. The people who watch Drag Race are gays, queens, lesbians, trans people, and the straight folks who know better than to use one person as a rep for the rest. She doesn't need to do that on her show, but when the audience isn't necessarily "with it" on gay 101 you're going to get annoyed when the one "gay contestant" on this show happens to be a massive twat monster.

royalan

It's different when your audience on Big Brother is the general public, comprised mostly of straight people, and many of whom would totally use Perez as some sort of scapegoat for whatever shit feelings they have toward gay people. The people who watch Drag Race are gays, queens, lesbians and the straight people who know better than to use one person as a rep for the rest. She doesn't need to do that on her show, but when the audience isn't necessarily "with it" on gay 101 you're going to get annoyed when the one "gay contestant" on this show happens to be a massive twat monster.

The thing is, you know that. I know that. People who aren't ignorant know that Drag Race is a progressive show that caters to its audience. Problem is, the ignorant masses who are looking for a reason to stick gay people to the stereotypes they have in their mind aren't going to give a shit about that when they see episodes/clips/gifs of the show. They see gay men dressing as women and thriving on drama. The don't see anything different than what Perez was doing on that show.

This is what happens when you try to play respectability politics. When you try to criticize someone for acting a certain way "because they might think we ALL act like that." You don't see how this is incredibly problematic?

The thing is, you know that. I know that. People who aren't ignorant know that Drag Race is a progressive show that caters to its audience. Problem is, the ignorant masses who are looking for a reason to stick gay people to the stereotypes they have in their mind aren't going to give a shit about that when they see episodes/clips/gifs of the show. They see gay men dressing as women and thriving on drama. The don't see anything different than what Perez was doing on that show.

This is what happens when you try to play respectability politics. When you try to criticize someone for acting a certain way "because they might think we ALL act like that." You don't see how this is incredibly problematic?

I don't really buy that though. Millions of people watch Big Brother, whereas only a small number of people would happen upon gifs of Drag Race, and I'm sure they'd have many other thoughts in their heads before they resort to assuming they're just dudes being dramatic. I'm sure the other thoughts might not be great either, but the point is that you're picking at straws here. The millions of people who watch Big Brother are seeing Perez as the token gay of the show, and he's a big butthole. Michelle is very aware of that and she got upset because she's protective of the gay community and its image and she understands that Perez is not beneficial to that image. That's all it is. Take it as the compliment to YOU that it is because demonizing or attacking people who are allies for us does nothing but add to the drama.

royalan

I don't really buy that though. Millions of people watch Big Brother, whereas only a small number of people would happen upon gifs of Drag Race, and I'm sure they'd have many other thoughts in their heads before they resort to assuming they're just dudes being dramatic. I'm sure the other thoughts might not be great either, but the point is that you're picking at straws here. The millions of people who watch Big Brother are seeing Perez as the token gay of the show, and he's a big butthole. Michelle is very aware of that and she got upset because she's protective of the gay community and its image and she understands that Perez is not beneficial to that image. That's all it is. Take it as the compliment to YOU that it is because demonizing or attacking people who are allies for us does nothing but add to the drama.

But how am I picking at straws when your point is basically "you should alter how you behave on television depending on the size of your audience"?

That's a flimsy argument at best and the end counter point is still the same: you can't talk shit about how one gay man is acting on television, when you judge a reality show where 13 gay men act a damn ass on television for the same reasons. It's hypocritical, and this doesn't change based on audience numbers. In a perfect world it would be nice if Michelle had the awareness to realize you can't pin one person with the responsibility of representing the entire community, and that ignorant people who are looking for a reason to look down on gays are going to find it regardless, so do you.

And you can't even pretend like the entire gay community understands and stands behind Drag Race when Drag Race and RuPaul just had a HUGE controversy with the trans community. So even part of that smaller audience full of people who, according to you, should "get" Drag Race look at it as trivializing the community on some level.

Michelle is a hypocrite, and she stuck her foot in her mouth, point blank.

royalan

Clive Davis hosting an hour of Whitney's best live performances on Lifetime right now...

Our faves could never begin to ever...

ibsU2zBtuANo7k.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom